TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-21-2016, 06:33 PM   #1
bmwtriker

Question Replacing the Tivo Bolt internal HD

Tivo forum newbie.

I have a Tivo Bolt 500GB. Bought this year. (2016)

I tried connecting an external 3TB Fantom esata drive and Bolt says it doesn't support it (formatted for NTFS), and still doesn't (formatted for MAC extended (journaling)).

So, I am planning to order a
Seagate 4TB Laptop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 128MB Cache 2.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive (ST4000LM016) from Amazon.

What steps to replace it as the internal Bolt HD? And, will it use the entire 4TB, or format it up to 2TB and quit?

Any special software needed to prepare it?

Any special hardware setup needed to test/format/??

[For testing, formatting, etc I have an iMac with latest OS X El Capitan. I also have Parallels with Win 7 Pro installed on the iMac, so I can run either Mac or Win software on it. Does that even matter?]

bmwtriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016, 06:58 PM   #2
bkc56
Designated Grunt

There's some useful information in this thread (where at the end I asked basically the same question):

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=542550

Old 08-30-2016, 01:58 PM   #3
manderson96

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwtriker View Post
Tivo forum newbie.

I tried connecting an external 3TB Fantom esata drive and Bolt says it doesn't support it (formatted for NTFS), and still doesn't (formatted for MAC extended (journaling)).

Seagate 4TB Laptop HDD SATA 6Gb/s 128MB Cache 2.5-Inch Internal Hard Drive (ST4000LM016) from Amazon.

What steps to replace it as the internal Bolt HD? And, will it use the entire 4TB, or format it up to 2TB and quit?

[For testing, formatting, etc I have an iMac with latest OS X El Capitan. I also have Parallels with Win 7 Pro installed on the iMac, so I can run either Mac or Win software on it. Does that even matter?]
bmwtriker

Check out jmbach's response to my post in the MFS Tools 3.2 thread, post #425.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...3#post10982713

I asked if the process for upgrading a Tivo Roamio are the same for the Bolt and the consensus is yes.

The check out the post from Sleepdragon #212 where he outlines which posts will give a good overview.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...=529148&page=8

You will want read the entire thread though.

manderson96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:39 PM   #4
mitch672

I would recommend AGAINST using the Samsung/Seagate ST4000LM016.

I have now gone through two of them, in less than 2 weeks.. I used MFS tools, and it all works just fine.. until the drive dies a horrible death and will no longer boot. I have been getting mine from COSTCO, they have the "Seagate Backup Plus 4GB" portable drive in an external enclosure for $120, you open it up, and take it out... it also has the USB 3.0 adapter so you can temp connect it to your PC, after doing the initial format in the Bolt, then remove it and run MFS tools.

I think I am going to try just a 960GB SSD drive, as these 2.5" notebook PC drives cannot handle the intense demands of the Bolt.

Mitch

mitch672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:33 PM   #5
bmwtriker

2.5 inch failure rates

I read enough posts about the failure rate of the 2.5 inch drives that I decided to put the internal drive into an external enclosure. (See my post "eSATA or SATA"). As I mentioned in one reply, my feeling is that the increased capacity is creating extra heat and causing the premature failures. I'm not sure how to increase the airflow in the Bolt, but if that could be done, it might allow the larger capacity 2.5 inchers to work successfully. My external enclosure has its own fan to keep it cool.

Old 08-31-2016, 05:36 PM   #6
bmwtriker

Replacing the Tivo Bolt internal HD

Quote:
Tivo forum newbie.

Totally changed the plan. Went with the Seagate Barracuda 3TB, Rosewill external enclosure. Still waiting on answer regarding the correct cable to use before opening up the Bolt.

Old 08-31-2016, 06:00 PM   #7
bkc56
Designated Grunt

Quote:
As I mentioned in one reply, my feeling is that the increased capacity is creating extra heat and causing the premature failures.
Perhaps a small low RPM (ie, quiet) fan to increase the airflow around the unit would help with heat.

I just checked my bolt (setup but no cablecard installed yet) which is in standby mode and it's warm to the touch on the top. Some extra airflow may be good even with just with the default 1TB drive.

Old 08-31-2016, 08:24 PM   #8
jmbach
der Neuerer

Just saw WD 3TB WD30NPRZ. It is a blue drive. Right now it appears difficult to source. Wonder if it is in WD Ultra Portable Passport external drives.

Last edited by jmbach; 08-31-2016 at 08:29 PM.
jmbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 08:43 PM   #9
jmbach
der Neuerer

My only concern about using external drives for TiVo drives is that they may have encryption enabled which adds some overhead to the read/writes. Not sure if that is significant or not. I guess my concerns is if that extra overhead would show up as glitches in video.

Old 09-11-2016, 10:25 AM   #10
gespears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Just saw WD 3TB WD30NPRZ. It is a blue drive. Right now it appears difficult to source. Wonder if it is in WD Ultra Portable Passport external drives.
I still haven't run across any reports of WD drive failures. I'm not sure why more people aren't using them.

gespears is offline   Reply With Quote