TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-29-2015, 04:02 PM   #1
paulb7873

6TB tivo Upgrade

I am sure this has been asked before but if I were to buy the 6tb upgrade from weeknees can I make an image of a hard drive to share with everyone? or would it just be huge? sector by sector would be 6tb I am sure but a VHD image?

paulb7873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 06:05 PM   #2
ggieseke

The VHD format doesn't support drives over 2040GB. If you have Windows 8.1 you could create and mount a dynamically expanding VHDX virtual drive that has exactly the same number of sectors as the source drive, then use a bye-for-byte copy tool to xerox it.

Assuming that the Weaknees drive is mostly zeros, the resulting VHDX file should only be a few gig. The copy will take about 40 hours even on an internal SATA bus and the only way to restore it would be to reverse the whole process.

It's not very practical (and probably illegal), but it's technically possible.

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 09:15 PM   #3
jmbach

Also not very ethical.

On a practical sense for a Roamio image you would not need to do an image back up if there are no recordings. The process would not take long and would be similar to how the 4TB community image is installed.

Old 02-01-2015, 01:18 PM   #4
paulb7873

Just thinking of ways to do it. Say I buy the 6tb from them and can get some type of VHDX file out of it so I can at least restore it when I want. or if that drive screws up I can copy the vhdx file to another drive. How would the VHDX file be small like that. it just doesn't include the zeros in the data?

paulb7873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 04:31 PM   #5
ggieseke

The VHDX format works the same way as the VHD format. There is a 'block' size defined in the header that's usually 2MB (at least in the VHD world).

As long as it's a "dynamically expanding" VHD or VHDX, any 'block' that contains all zeros will be noted in the Block Allocation Table as empty, and it won't take up any additional space on the drive. One non-zero byte in the block means that the entire block will be recorded as is.

ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:11 AM   #6
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

The 4tb community image is pretty easy.

There isn't much data on a blank drive.

You copy the beginning, a piece of the middle and the end of the drive to the disk

The problem I see is alot of SATA controllers would barf at the 6tb disk, as most old ones (ie over 1 year old) only support up to 4tb, or was that all really just a software limitation?

I remember the days that 8.1 GIG was the limit for drives. I also remember 20 MFM format drives as the limit upgraded to RFM at 30MEG

And about ethics. i totally agree. Weaknees doesn't build a product so people can steal it, and not buy from them. I ended up paying weaknees $95 to setup my 4tb drive. Cheap price! Better pieve of mind. What happens when a software update comes down and cause loss of all 4tb of your shows with a 'free' setup?

S2-500gb HD, 2 units-ret
TivoHD-2tb, chip mod, 2 units
Premiere-2tb JMFS
Premiere4-2tb JMFS-ret
Roamio Plus-4tb Comm Img

Last edited by philhu; 03-06-2015 at 09:21 AM.
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2015, 05:06 PM   #7
jmbach

A 6TB Premiere is possible at this time with our current tools.

Old 03-07-2015, 10:04 PM   #8
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
A 6TB Premiere is possible at this time with our current tools.
As Weaknees has done 6Tb it should be possible, but I don't know what tools Weaknees used to get the 6Tb working.

Old 03-08-2015, 01:38 AM   #9
jmbach

It's not straight forward. We would need to create a 4TB drive first (either on a 6TB drive first using hdparm or create one on a 4TB drive and copy it over to a 6TB drive) . Calculate the number of blocks from the end of the last partition to the end of the drive. Use hdparm on a 2TB or larger drive and adjust the block size to reflect our calculation. Using an undocumented feature of JMFS the add a secondary drive to the MFS. Copy about 2k from the secondary drive to the beginning of the new additional partition on the primary drive. Coalesce partitions 11 and 12 (this is assuming that the 4TB drive was made with rearranging the original partitions in the order of 1, 11, 12, 13, ....) then manually adding a 15th partition to the APM using a 64bit APM entry. After that, put in the TiVo and let divorce and boot.

Old 03-10-2015, 11:27 AM   #10
garyschmidt78

Thanks

JMBACH, I would be willing to pay $5 - $10 fee for a document that would provide specific details on how to get 6TB updates for my Premiere and Roamio units. Hopefully, the document would have examples with the calculations and screen shots of the tools used for each step of the upgrade. If you used examples of specific 6TB drives for your calculations, it would be most helpful.

garyschmidt78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 05:24 PM   #11
jmbach

At this point it would be for Premiere only. Roamio in the near future, if the gods smile upon us, will have a solution. Make a contribution to the writers of the tools that we will be using and we will call it a day. If you want to work on it, send me a PM.