TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
ryanverd

Wink Newb here! Just a few questions

I have a tivo series 4 premiere that I got in the fall of 2011. Have a lifetime sub on it, only do it for OTA

I believe it can record 47 hours HD, so that's what a 250 gb or 320 gb hard drive? Anyways, I'm not a computer genius, but I'm not terrible at computers either. Do I need linux to swap drives out? Or can I have windows 8 like I do now? I saw linux mentioned so I got worried. I know how to run a boot cd, or how to make a flash drive bootable.

Also, is it that much harder to put a 3 or 4 tb hard drive into a tivo series 4 premiere? I have a spare 2 tb handy, which is probably more than I'd ever need in the first place, but if it's not much more difficult to put in a 3 or 4 tb, I might just do that.

I don't care about keeping my programs either that's already on the hard drive, or the season pass settings, all I care about is getting the MAX amount of space on the tivo. thanks a million!

Also, do I need to know the EXACT model number of my tivo for anything in the process? Thank you!
ryanverd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 05:46 AM   #2
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanverd View Post
I have a tivo series 4 premiere that I got in the fall of 2011. Have a lifetime sub on it, only do it for OTA

I believe it can record 47 hours HD, so that's what a 250 gb or 320 gb hard drive? Anyways, I'm not a computer genius, but I'm not terrible at computers either. Do I need linux to swap drives out? Or can I have windows 8 like I do now? I saw linux mentioned so I got worried. I know how to run a boot cd, or how to make a flash drive bootable.

Also, is it that much harder to put a 3 or 4 tb hard drive into a tivo series 4 premiere? I have a spare 2 tb handy, which is probably more than I'd ever need in the first place, but if it's not much more difficult to put in a 3 or 4 tb, I might just do that.

I don't care about keeping my programs either that's already on the hard drive, or the season pass settings, all I care about is getting the MAX amount of space on the tivo. thanks a million!

Also, do I need to know the EXACT model number of my tivo for anything in the process? Thank you!
You will need the jmfs bootable CD for the expansion phase no matter what, so download and burn it.

If you can hook both drives to your computer at the same time, use jmfs to copy the original, check it out, then use jmfs to expand it.

Alternatively, you could use DvrBARS in Windows to back up the existing disk to your computer and then restore that image to the new drive. After that it's back to jmfs for the expansion. If your existing drive is corrupt I can hook you up with a DvBARS image but the model number is necessary and you would have to run Clear & Delete Everything on the TiVo after installing the new disk.

3 or 4 TB Premieres are possible (see the threads by jmbach & telemark). It gets pretty technical, so you may want to start off with the 2TB drive that you already have.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:05 AM   #3
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanverd View Post

There should be a sticker on the back with the exact model number--starts with TCD followed by 6 numbers.

If you still have the original box, it should also be on there somewhere.

And if that 2TB drive is a WD Green, you might need to disable Intellipark on it.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote