TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-09-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
peeshjo

fios cable card

Can you install the cable card yourself? Fios said they would have to send a tech is this true?
peeshjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
ciscokid

No

Fios will NOT allow a self install. It'll take them about an hour assuming you have ALREADY done the preparations yourself.
ciscokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:10 AM   #3
peeshjo

what does the installer have to do other than plug the card in?
peeshjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #4
BigHat

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeshjo View Post
what does the installer have to do other than plug the card in?
Yes, there is more to it than just plugging it in. He'll have to login into FIOS via a wireless network equipped laptop and enable the cards and link them to the unit (serial numbers, etc). Switching from S3HD units to PXLs tomorrow. I'll be getting the M cards this time. Unsure it two M cards is cheaper than 4 older cards on a monthly basis but we'll see.
BigHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
rage777

He will also double check your signal strength. The first time I got a cable card the guy just installed it and went on his way. The second time I thought it was going to be quick, but he checked the lines and had to change a splitter because the signal was too low. He told me that they have been having problems because the signal strengths were not right so they were now checking for signal strength. To quite a bit longer than the first time.
rage777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #6
dbenrosen

Fios doesn't actually link them to the unit (in most locations), just to your account. If you already have an M-card, you can take it out of one device (say an older Series 3) and put it in a new device (Premiere) and it will work without any interference/input from Verizon. I did this on my Premiere.
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #7
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHat View Post
Yes, there is more to it than just plugging it in. He'll have to login into FIOS via a wireless network equipped laptop and enable the cards and link them to the unit (serial numbers, etc). Switching from S3HD units to PXLs tomorrow. I'll be getting the M cards this time. Unsure it two M cards is cheaper than 4 older cards on a monthly basis but we'll see.
FiOS charges $2.99 per cable card. Whether single stream or multi stream. Just make sure you write down the serial numbers of the cards you are turning in and make sure you get a receipt from the tech showing he collected them. This is just in case FiOS has a billing problem.

I had 8 single stream cards and went to 5 multistream cards on FiOS. My charges dropped from $23.92 a month to $14.95 a month for the cable cards.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #8
jenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
FiOS charges $2.99 per cable card. Whether single stream or multi stream. Just make sure you write down the serial numbers of the cards you are turning in and make sure you get a receipt from the tech showing he collected them. This is just in case FiOS has a billing problem.
I second this advice BIG TIME. I upgraded the Tivo's back in Apr so had to return 2 cc's back to Verizon. Keep in mind, I noted the tech's name, number & company ID along with his manager's information and the manager's cell phone in case billing needed to verify the cards were returned.

It is now Sep, and I'm still being billed for 4 cc's and have spent ~10 hours on the phone with Verizon over 15 calls and still no concrete resolution - they still cannot get the 2 cards off my account.
jenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:28 PM   #9
Gregor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenz View Post
I second this advice BIG TIME. I upgraded the Tivo's back in Apr so had to return 2 cc's back to Verizon. Keep in mind, I noted the tech's name, number & company ID along with his manager's information and the manager's cell phone in case billing needed to verify the cards were returned.

It is now Sep, and I'm still being billed for 4 cc's and have spent ~10 hours on the phone with Verizon over 15 calls and still no concrete resolution - they still cannot get the 2 cards off my account.
I have the same issue. I returned 2 cards via UPS and repeated calls can't get this fixed. I got them to credit me for 2 months, but it's still out there.

MK:3523-2615-6739

Do not taunt happy thread counts.
Gregor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

WoW! i wrote down the info from the eight cards just in case. But they disappeared off my account while the tech was there entering the info. And the new cards showed up as well right after the tech entered the new info.
Old 09-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #11
gt7610c

Has anyone called to get a FiOS cablecard recently? I just called to get 2 and they quoted me 3.99 for each card (I currently have 2 S-cards @2.99). Did the price just go up recently? I can't find anything on their site that shows how much cablecards cost per month and you (I) can't order them online like you can all other cable boxes.

They also quoted the usual $79.99 truck roll charge that most people say won't actually be billed and interestingly a $49.99 outlet charge (x2) for a total of $180. I am under the impression those charges won't actually be billed provided no other services are rendered or equipment returned, but does Verizon actually think those fees are reasonable?

Verizon billing is a mess and I avoid talking to them as much as possible but I am going to need a new cablecard soon. Just curious if anyone is billed at the $3.99/mo rate for CCs.
gt7610c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 02:23 PM   #12
ciscokid

FIOS Charges

For my M card install they charged me NOTHING...AND the took my old box with them.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #13
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt7610c View Post
Verizon billing is a mess and I avoid talking to them as much as possible but I am going to need a new cablecard soon. Just curious if anyone is billed at the $3.99/mo rate for CCs.
I think they raised the rate for new installations from 2.99 to 3.99 around a year ago.

I moved from Charter to Fios in May, and I'm definitely paying 3.99 per CC for each of my two Premieres.

And, calling Verizon billing a mess is just being too kind...
NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 08:20 AM   #14
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt7610c View Post
Has anyone called to get a FiOS cablecard recently? I just called to get 2 and they quoted me 3.99 for each card (I currently have 2 S-cards @2.99). Did the price just go up recently? I can't find anything on their site that shows how much cablecards cost per month and you (I) can't order them online like you can all other cable boxes.

They also quoted the usual $79.99 truck roll charge that most people say won't actually be billed and interestingly a $49.99 outlet charge (x2) for a total of $180. I am under the impression those charges won't actually be billed provided no other services are rendered or equipment returned, but does Verizon actually think those fees are reasonable?

I was paying $3.99 when I had eight single stream cards last year. I have five multistream cards now and it is still $3.99 per card.

There is not supposed to be a charge for cable card installs even though the CSR will say there is. As long as that is the only thing they are dealing with they are not supposed to charge you.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #15
dbenrosen

I have been billed $3.99 since I signed up for Fios about a year ago. I believe this has been the price for some time. Perhaps you were grandfathered into that $2.99 price.
Old 09-15-2010, 11:22 AM   #16
Anthony GT

I'm considering upgrading my TiVo HD to a Premiere. The HD already has an MCard in it. Am I right in thinking that I should be able to move that card into the Premiere without needing anything Verizon?
Anthony GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #17
DeWitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony GT View Post
I'm considering upgrading my TiVo HD to a Premiere. The HD already has an MCard in it. Am I right in thinking that I should be able to move that card into the Premiere without needing anything Verizon?
No Problem. Works like a charm with FIOS.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:33 PM   #18
gt7610c

Thanks everyone for the input. It wouldn't surprise me my 2.99 rate is grandfathered in since I also have other boxes grandfathered in. aaronwt, you realize earlier in this thread you mentioned a 2.99 rate, right

I'll give them a call and ignore the fact that they seem to insist there will be an installation and truck roll charge. aaronwt, when you replaced your S-cards with Ms, did you do it at the same time, or get the M-cards and return them later?
gt7610c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:51 AM   #19
SchweddyBalz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscokid View Post
For my M card install they charged me NOTHING...AND the took my old box with them.
I live in the Tampa area and am looking to switch to FIOS from DirecTV. I would be getting the Tivo Premiere XL, but when I emailed customer service asking about getting a card, she said only S-cards were available. How did you get yours in Tampa?
SchweddyBalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #20
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchweddyBalz View Post
when I emailed [Fios] customer service asking about getting a card, she said only S-cards were available.
The issue there is, they don't know what they're talking about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #21
ciscokid

Tampa FIOS

I have Fios in Tampa. The only cards they have are M cards. Just forget about what the CSR tells you. Just arrange for the appointment. I GUARANTEE tat they will show up with an M card.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:01 PM   #22
bernaise

I have FIOS in Southern California and just setup my new Premieres from Electronics Expo. I have my cablecard appointment tomorrow. I will post the outcome once the installer leaves. However,on the phone, the guy didn't know the difference between the types of cards.
bernaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:00 AM   #23
billm555

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchweddyBalz View Post
I live in the Tampa area and am looking to switch to FIOS from DirecTV. I would be getting the Tivo Premiere XL, but when I emailed customer service asking about getting a card, she said only S-cards were available. How did you get yours in Tampa?
I was told the we don't carry s cards anymore. There might be a few stragglers but I've only seen m cards for at least a year.

Make sure you do the guided setup and install any updates the tivo wants before your install appt. I only bill for a coax outlet if a new outlet is needed, and then only to cover my time spent on the job. Not sure about a truck roll cost. I would argue that with the billing people thats out of the techs hands.

Bill
Old 10-01-2010, 11:38 AM   #24
innocentfreak

Other than doing the installs myself no real problems here. Of course I would prefer the self install option hence the link to verizons site to vote for it in my sig.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 12:29 PM   #25
bernaise

As an update to my previous post, I had my Cablecards installed yesterday and everything went off without a hitch. I had followed all of the advice found on Tivocommunity and had my Tivos activated and updated before the installer got there. He had MCards and knew what to do. The only part that was slow was that the person on the phone doing the actual activations must have been new and had the installer read the numbers multiple times for each card. Once they were activated though, everything began working great and I can say that I am really glad I switched to the Tivos away from the lame Verizon DVR.
bernaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #26
AlexFL

I live in Tampa and my Fios just got installed 2 days ago. I agree, the CSR doesn't really now what he's talking about. When I ordered my Fios I practically had to beg the guy to write my order with M-Cards, although he insisted Fios was not compatible with any other box other than Verizon's. Perhaps a plot to push their lame DVR or perhaps he really didn't know. Either way, he wrote my order with M-Cards. My installation was pretty much straight-forward (see my other post in this forum called "Moca install on Fios, I write about my install results there) with the only hitch being the fact that the installer forgot to bring the M-Cards the day of the install. So he had to go back and get them from the shop, 'cause there was no way I was waiting anylonger for it. When he returned, he activated them through his laptop so calling someone was not necessary. One of his cards was not cooperating so thankfully enough he brought a 3rd card that we ended up using to replace the one that didn't work.
AlexFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:57 PM   #27
innocentfreak

I would ask that you file a comment with your experience to the FCC. You can read and submit filings here.

October 14th is the next meeting about CableCARDs and the more people who relay their experiences with CableCARDs and Tuning Adapters the better.

innocentfreak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:21 AM   #28
shabby46

Hi guys. I am getting fios tomorrow in Falls Church VA and as many people as I talk to on the phone, nobody seems to be able to help me with the cablecard issue. I am trying to find out if the service technician will have cards with him when he arrives, or if I need to set up an install ahead of time. Right now I am scheduled to have a regular verison DVR set up, but I also wanted the tivo for obvious reasons.

Do any of you have experience with this, or should I keep calling or just wait for him to show up. I just dont want them to charge me for a second truck roll if he needs to come back later.

Thanks!
shabby46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #29
dbenrosen

Though the tech should have them, they don't always. You should call and make sure they add CableCards to your install.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #30
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

It is also a good idea to use the FIOS router at least for the initial install. I use my own router and it made it more difficult for the tech to set things up.