TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-31-2010, 02:29 AM   #1
curiousgeorge

FINALLY got 14.5K1

Looks like they've either turned it on or expanded the rollout a little more. I finally got 14.5 tonight. It wasn't there this afternoon, but I forced a connection tonight and it came up.

Now we can start talking about 14.6. There's still a LONG way to go to make this a member of the TiVo family instead of some stop-gap kludge. :/

EDIT: Must be an expansion of the rollout, but still not to everyone. Only one of our three Premieres got it.

Last edited by curiousgeorge : 08-08-2010 at 05:56 PM.
curiousgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:30 AM   #2
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Does it have a real 14.5 version number or some variation of the 14.5K that was previously rolled ?

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:30 PM   #3
curiousgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
Does it have a real 14.5 version number or some variation of the 14.5K that was previously rolled ?
14.5.K1 is the version.
Old 07-31-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
14.5.K1 is the version.
So they're still slow-rolling ...

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:50 PM   #5
curiousgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
So they're still slow-rolling ...
Don't lose any sleep over it. It's a pretty crappy update. The performance improvement is the tiniest bit incremental possible, and there's an overwhelming amount of stuff still in SD menus, so you have the back-and-forth changing when you hop in certain areas. We're exclusively back on the SD menus again after less than a day. It's still too crappy on hte HD menu mode to consider using daily.
Old 07-31-2010, 07:02 PM   #6
joshuamac

I still have not gotten 14.5. I tried updating it myself and even after repeated tries connecting to TiVo I never got the "restart pending" message to show it downloaded. I called and they said they are rolling it out in select areas first and it could take a day or even a week before it would be available to me. I live in NJ. He said they do it this way to see if there are any issues with it. Here's hoping I get it soon. If you cannot get it be patient.
joshuamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 07:06 AM   #7
mvnuenen
~0.0~

Quote:
Don't lose any sleep over it. It's a pretty crappy update. The performance improvement is the tiniest bit incremental possible, and there's an overwhelming amount of stuff still in SD menus, so you have the back-and-forth changing when you hop in certain areas. We're exclusively back on the SD menus again after less than a day. It's still too crappy on hte HD menu mode to consider using daily.
Sorry to hear. My TPXL has been nothing but fantastic (in HD mode). Sure, not all screens are in HD yet but besides the Guide, every screen you use "daily" is...

I really wish we could figure out why some have lots of issues and others have none. I have no SDV issues either while I suffered from tons of macroblocking with the S3, using same SDV adapter. I do have a new CableCard though. Could the CableCard, or its configuration, have anything to do with it??
mvnuenen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvnuenen View Post
Sorry to hear. My TPXL has been nothing but fantastic (in HD mode). Sure, not all screens are in HD yet but besides the Guide, every screen you use "daily" is...

I really wish we could figure out why some have lots of issues and others have none. I have no SDV issues either while I suffered from tons of macroblocking with the S3, using same SDV adapter. I do have a new CableCard though. Could the CableCard, or its configuration, have anything to do with it??
Yes, all mine have been great. But with 14.5, it is even faster. But I did not notice any difference in the menus. I thought the same menus were still in HD and SD, but I didn't spend much time looking though.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #9
Xaegoth

Still no 14.5 here.

Have to say as a new Tivo user (bought it two weeks ago), I am pretty unimpressed with it so far.

It is just SO slow...the green circle has spent a LOT of time on my screen.

But it was this or the crappy Comcast HD box.
Xaegoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:52 PM   #10
curiousgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaegoth View Post
Still no 14.5 here.

Have to say as a new Tivo user (bought it two weeks ago), I am pretty unimpressed with it so far.

Drop the menus back to the old-style SD mode ones (settings -> Display -> Tivo Menus) and you should be much happier with performance. Doesn't excuse the crappy HD menu interface, but makes the machine tolerable.
Old 08-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #11
Xaegoth

Turning off "Tivo Suggestions" seems to have REALLY improved the speed of menus for me.

Now, I did reboot after I turned it off (yeah, one of those people who reboot everything after making changes). So THAT could be it as well.

Regardless, there is next to no lag now when going through the menu's or deleting programs (sometimes would take up to 30 seconds after I tried to delete something before it actually deleted).

Not a huge loss to me if this does fix it as I rarely watched any Tivo Suggestions anyways. I could definitely see others disagreeing though!
Old 08-04-2010, 01:17 PM   #12
Tony Chick

Still nothing here. I'm less upset about not getting the update than I am about what this bodes for the future. If it takes over a month to distribute a minor point release to all the boxes out there, then how long is it going to take before all the issues get resolved?. I assume that will take several more release cycles and they are hardly likely to roll out 14.6 the day after the last box finally gets 14.5 so I'm guessing a minimum of 2 months between releases.
Tony Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 01:19 PM   #13
DaveWhittle

ugggg... still don't have 14.5 and last night had the second lock-up when checking to see if I was "pending restart". I had to pulll the plug and watch "just a few minutes more" for 10 minutes while eating dinner.

So I switched to the SD menus for now to avoid this happening again, but I really like the HD menus much better.
DaveWhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 05:24 PM   #14
bcronin

Quote:
Still no 14.5 here.

For what its worth, the green circle sometimes lingered for 20-30 seconds on 14.4, but with 14.5 I've not seen it on-screen for more than 5 seconds. So, 14.5 is definitely an improvement (but obviously there's still a long way to go).
--
bc
bcronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:38 PM   #15
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Turning off "Tivo Suggestions" seems to have REALLY improved the speed of menus for me.

Now, I did reboot after I turned it off (yeah, one of those people who reboot everything after making changes). So THAT could be it as well.

Regardless, there is next to no lag now when going through the menu's or deleting programs (sometimes would take up to 30 seconds after I tried to delete something before it actually deleted).

Not a huge loss to me if this does fix it as I rarely watched any Tivo Suggestions anyways. I could definitely see others disagreeing though!
Sorry, but I don't see how turning off TiVo Suggestions would make any difference in menu speeds nor deleting programs. Those three functions are just not related. TiVo suggestions are computed at night when not being used, and just recorded like any other show. The fact that they are "on" doesn't interact with or change the menus at all (other than possibly to have more programs available to watch). Deleting something absolutely has nothing to do with TiVo Suggestions being on or off. I suspect you did something else that caused the difference...... perhaps just the reboot (maybe something was wrong).
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:04 PM   #16
Xaegoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
Sorry, but I don't see how turning off TiVo Suggestions would make any difference in menu speeds nor deleting programs. Those three functions are just not related. TiVo suggestions are computed at night when not being used, and just recorded like any other show. The fact that they are "on" doesn't interact with or change the menus at all (other than possibly to have more programs available to watch). Deleting something absolutely has nothing to do with TiVo Suggestions being on or off. I suspect you did something else that caused the difference...... perhaps just the reboot (maybe something was wrong).
Then it was probably the reboot.

Hopefully I don't have to reboot EVERY day to get the menu's to run smoothly.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #17
DaveWhittle

I noticed on Margret's Twitter account (@tivodesign) she was offering to advance the 14.5 rollout to those resquesting it but didn't have it yet. So this afternoon I sent her an email with my TiVo's device number and cable provider, and tonight forced a connection and sure enough, "pending restart"!

And to re-iterate, it does take an hour or more to restart... So it might be best to do it last thing or let it happen overnight.
DaveWhittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 12:01 AM   #18
curiousgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWhittle View Post
I noticed on Margret's Twitter account (@tivodesign) she was offering to advance the 14.5 rollout to those resquesting it but didn't have it yet. So this afternoon I sent her an email with my TiVo's device number and cable provider, and tonight forced a connection and sure enough, "pending restart"!

And to re-iterate, it does take an hour or more to restart... So it might be best to do it last thing or let it happen overnight.
Yeah, it's one of the longer service update installations in recent memory. 45-60 minutes.
Old 08-05-2010, 01:18 AM   #19
Desktop Icon

14.5 arrived for me a few days ago, and like with all previous updates I switched back to HD menus to see if it was now a tolerable experience. After less than a day, I was back to SD.

The Premiere remains the first TiVo product I have been extremely disappointed with. Sadly, I made the mistake of selling my S3 the moment the Premiere arrived on my doorstep; had I not done so, I would have returned the Premiere and stuck with the S3. Lesson learned.
Desktop Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:17 AM   #20
curiousgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desktop Icon View Post
14.5 arrived for me a few days ago, and like with all previous updates I switched back to HD menus to see if it was now a tolerable experience. After less than a day, I was back to SD.

The Premiere remains the first TiVo product I have been extremely disappointed with. Sadly, I made the mistake of selling my S3 the moment the Premiere arrived on my doorstep; had I not done so, I would have returned the Premiere and stuck with the S3. Lesson learned.
Ditto. I miss our S3 units and wish I hadn't sold them and replaced them all with Premieres at launch. Even the faster network transfers on the Premiere can't keep me positive on the unit. I'm developing a very negative outlook on TiVo for the very first time.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:36 AM   #21
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Ditto. I miss our S3 units and wish I hadn't sold them and replaced them all with Premieres at launch. Even the faster network transfers on the Premiere can't keep me positive on the unit. I'm developing a very negative outlook on TiVo for the very first time.

I am so glad I dumped my S3 units. My Premieres have been much better. I can't stand using my girlfriends S3 models now after using the premieres the last few months.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:13 AM   #22
andrewl570

Quote:
Even if the HDUI is slow and not perfect, the SDUI on the Premiere is much faster than the S3. Premiere running SD alone is an upgrade from S3. Either way, I am still disappointed with the Premiere's HDUI.
andrewl570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:12 PM   #23
lujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post

I am so glad I dumped my S3 units. My Premieres have been much better. I can't stand using my girlfriends S3 models now after using the premieres the last few months.
I think we've all heard this from you at least 3 times now.
6 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:23 PM   #24
magnum68

Quote:

it's true, you sound like a broken record.
magnum68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:31 PM   #25
caddyroger

Quote:

Why do you keep repeating yourself. You sound like a 10 year old kid.
caddyroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #26
shaown

You have to admit - he is just plain right so broken record or not - resonates.
Why would you keep a S3 over a Premiere? Premiere in SD modes beats it in every possible way except the OLED screen.
I can understand not payign to upgrade a S3, but if you sold your S3 and have a Premiere, why would u want it back???

-Shaown
shaown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 04:59 PM   #27
TrueTurbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddyroger View Post
Why do you keep repeating yourself. You sound like a 10 year old kid.
Why do you pick on someone who is repeating positive info and not on those depressing people on this list who are repeating the same old "my TiVo Premiere is crap, blah, blah, blah..." diatribes!?

This list desperately needs to be reminded from time to time that there are people out there who are having positive experiences with their TiVo Premieres!
TrueTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:12 PM   #28
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post
I think we've all heard this from you at least 3 times now.
I think you meant 30 times

Old 08-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #29
caddyroger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTurbo View Post
Why do you pick on someone who is repeating positive info and not on those depressing people on this list who are repeating the same old "my TiVo Premiere is crap, blah, blah, blah..." diatribes!?

This list desperately needs to be reminded from time to time that there are people out there who are having positive experiences with their TiVo Premieres!
Most of the time it not the same person as in a couple tivo fansboys and not 2 or 3 times in the same thread.
caddyroger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #30
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueTurbo View Post

Your correct but one person (not large number of people) is saying 90% of the positive stuff, this begins to have some credibility issues with what he is trying to accomplish.
I don't find just one person saying most of the bad stuff.