TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #1
Atomic Buffalo

My Tivo Premiere is working fine.

The beginning was a little bumpy.

During setup Tivo didn't tell me my DVI monitor didn't support HDMI, it just wouldn't show any content, which made Comcast and me think there was a CableCard problem. (Yes, *after* setup, you get "HDMI not permitted" but not during setup.)

The initial software release was really slow and had a serious lock-up problem that made me regret my purchase, but I quickly learned to avoid the trigger (mostly). Within a few weeks the software updated itself and I've seen no further lockups.

The box has a few quirks but they're pretty harmless. The HD menus aren't complete but I only notice that a couple times a week. I wish Pandora wasn't vaporware but it's not a core feature for me. Comcast keeps messing with their lineup, which made me miss a couple of recordings, but now I understand Tivo's limitations in adapting to that. The Netflix queue interface is primitive, but I like using my computer to maintain it anyway. The user interface still makes me wait a beat here and there, but it's not disruptive.

In the last couple of months I've watched a lot of programming on my Tivo, both from my Comcast feed and via Netflix streaming. It works. No reboots, no lockups, no molasses, no mysterious failures. It records my stuff and lets me watch it, the playback controls work well. It's unobtrusive and reliable, just like my old DirecTivos.

I know the board is full of threads from frustrated people. I've had my own frustrations, but they're in the past. I hope everyone with defective hardware and corrupted software gets a speedy resolution to their problems. I hope those suffering from legitimate software bugs get prompt attention from Tivo's software developers. And I hope we all get the rest of the UI and features that Tivo planned for this new device.

But today, I feel the need to say this:

My Tivo Premiere works.
Atomic Buffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:07 AM   #2
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Buffalo View Post
The beginning was a little bumpy.

During setup Tivo didn't tell me my DVI monitor didn't support HDMI, it just wouldn't show any content, which made Comcast and me think there was a CableCard problem. (Yes, *after* setup, you get "HDMI not permitted" but not during setup.)

The initial software release was really slow and had a serious lock-up problem that made me regret my purchase, but I quickly learned to avoid the trigger (mostly). Within a few weeks the software updated itself and I've seen no further lockups.

The box has a few quirks but they're pretty harmless. The HD menus aren't complete but I only notice that a couple times a week. I wish Pandora wasn't vaporware but it's not a core feature for me. Comcast keeps messing with their lineup, which made me miss a couple of recordings, but now I understand Tivo's limitations in adapting to that. The Netflix queue interface is primitive, but I like using my computer to maintain it anyway. The user interface still makes me wait a beat here and there, but it's not disruptive.

In the last couple of months I've watched a lot of programming on my Tivo, both from my Comcast feed and via Netflix streaming. It works. No reboots, no lockups, no molasses, no mysterious failures. It records my stuff and lets me watch it, the playback controls work well. It's unobtrusive and reliable, just like my old DirecTivos.

I know the board is full of threads from frustrated people. I've had my own frustrations, but they're in the past. I hope everyone with defective hardware and corrupted software gets a speedy resolution to their problems. I hope those suffering from legitimate software bugs get prompt attention from Tivo's software developers. And I hope we all get the rest of the UI and features that Tivo planned for this new device.

But today, I feel the need to say this:

My Tivo Premiere works.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Good to hear. I have a stack of 48 Premieres sitting here with cable cards ready to go in them.

Hope I have good luck with them!
Old 08-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
Quake97

I think your definition of "works" is different than mine and some people on this board. I don't consider something as "works" when half of the interface is still in the old SD format. The last couple of updates have been great in terms of stability and performance, so I hope once they're past those things they'll get on to adding Pandora and getting all of the menus to HD.

Joe
Quake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #5
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
I have a stack of 48 Premieres sitting here with cable cards ready to go in them.
48!?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:03 PM   #6
magnum68

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
Good to hear. I have a stack of 48 Premieres sitting here with cable cards ready to go in them.

Hope I have good luck with them!
Don't let aaronwt know that you have 48 Premieres. He may hold that against you.
magnum68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:04 PM   #7
Duke

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Buffalo View Post
....But today, I feel the need to say this: My Tivo Premiere works.
Thanks Atomic Buffalo; it's nice to also hear from those that are satisfied with the Premier.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #8
rogmatic

I am satisfied with the Premiere, but I am disappointed that there are basically no new features from the HD - preview window, space meter and fancier interface - that is basically it.

I am hoping that down the line we get more "app" style stuff, such as being able to have an app that streams content from a network website (abc.com, etc.) or from espn or from my favorite football team website, etc.
rogmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #9
Rastven

I don't use the HDUI so I'm more than happy with my P and PXL
Rastven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:05 PM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastven View Post
I don't use the HDUI so I'm more than happy with my P and PXL
I use the HDUI so I am very happy with my Premieres. I'll just be glad once the SDUI is kicked to the curb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum68 View Post
Don't let aaronwt know that you have 48 Premieres. He may hold that against you.
I was going to sell one PXL this month to take me down to 5 Premieres. But with all the sale prices, the used market for Premieres is depressed. So for now I will hold on to it and maybe sell it closer to the holidays.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 08-11-2010 at 02:11 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #11
magnum68

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I use the HDUI so I am very happy with my Premieres. I'll just be glad once the SDUI is kicked to the curb.

I was going to sell one PXL this month to take me down to 5 Premieres. But with all the sale prices, the used market for Premieres is depressed. So for now I will hold on to it and maybe sell it closer to the holidays.
I agree with you. I bought one on ebay for $150 and another for $78. The $78 had a problem with being stuck on the "please wait" something screen. Then I did a kickstart, don't remember what number I used, but it worked.

Last edited by magnum68 : 08-11-2010 at 03:00 PM.
magnum68 is offline   Reply With Quote