TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-21-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
atomarchio

Have "S03" error, is kickstart my last shot at fixing?

I have a Series3 with mult-stream cable card with Time Warner. Like many of you, I've been getting "program guide running of out of data" error for several months now.

However, the guide actually did run of data this time. I checked my season passes and none of them are past 7/24.

One of the suggestions in these forums is to re-run guided setup and I did that this morning. However, I started getting the S03 error when loading the data.

I could not get past this. I then called Tivo and they told me to kickstart the unit with the pause 57.

If this does not work, is there anything else I can try or should I just go ahead and buy another Tivo.

Just trying to get an idea of what my chances are to get this unit working again or if I should just give up.

Please let me know. Thanks.
atomarchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomarchio View Post
I could not get past this. I then called Tivo and they told me to kickstart the unit with the pause 57.

If this does not work, is there anything else I can try or should I just go ahead and buy another Tivo.
Oh, yeah, quite a bit. The fact the unit has an output at all means the power supply is probably OK, and the odds of it being a motherboard problem are moderately low. That leaves the hard drive. Replacing a drive, if it comes to it, is not difficult. As long as yuou are comfortable with a screwdriver, it's pretty simple. There are other diagnostics you can undertake in the mean time, however. There's another KS code (59, I think) as well as diagnostics which can be undertaken with the drive in an external PC. I suggest you go over to the S3 hard drive upgrade thread and start looking in there.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #3
atomarchio

Well, it's been 3 hours. Still have the S03 error. Should I try another KS code or just replace the hard drive?
Old 07-21-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
EpcotEric

I had this problem aabout a month ago and tried all the kick starts with no help. I finally ended up "Clearing Program Info and To Do List". It took hours (over 8 hours). Then I connected to the Tivo service and sure enough it successfully connected. I connected 2 more times to get more guide data. After several hours the guide filled in again and the warning messages went away.

The only drawback was that somehow my Season Passes broke their links with the shows in the guide. I had to delete all my season passes and rebuild them. Also, as the shows started recording again, they ended up in new folders with duplicate names. Slightly annoying, but at least I had a functioning TiVo.
Old 07-21-2010, 07:54 PM   #5
magnus
Tivo User

Yep, just need to clear program data and thumbs. At least it does not remove your season passes. This has always removed the S03 code for me.

edit: Yep, it does delete SPs. (Perform a clear and delete program data. That will clear out the S03. At least that has been my experience. FYI, It will take about an hour and you will loose SPs and todolist.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpcotEric View Post
I had this problem aabout a month ago and tried all the kick starts with no help. I finally ended up "Clearing Program Info and To Do List". It took hours (over 8 hours). Then I connected to the Tivo service and sure enough it successfully connected. I connected 2 more times to get more guide data. After several hours the guide filled in again and the warning messages went away.

The only drawback was that somehow my Season Passes broke their links with the shows in the guide. I had to delete all my season passes and rebuild them. Also, as the shows started recording again, they ended up in new folders with duplicate names. Slightly annoying, but at least I had a functioning TiVo.

magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:30 PM   #6
atomarchio

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnus View Post
Yep, just need to clear program data and thumbs. At least it does not remove your season passes. This has always removed the S03 code for me.

edit: Yep, it does delete SPs. (Perform a clear and delete program data. That will clear out the S03. At least that has been my experience. FYI, It will take about an hour and you will loose SPs and todolist.)
The kickstart did not work. Still have the S03 error.

How do I "clear program data and thumbs" if I can't get past the guided setup screen?

Old 07-21-2010, 10:55 PM   #7
magnus
Tivo User

Oh, that's not good.... you can't get out of it that I know of. Sorry, I missed that part.

Only thing I know of that you can do is re-image it.

Quote:
The kickstart did not work. Still have the S03 error.

How do I "clear program data and thumbs" if I can't get past the guided setup screen?

Old 07-22-2010, 05:24 AM   #8
atomarchio

I tried a 58 kickstart and I am still completely stuck at S03. How do I re-image? What kind of hard drive do I purchase?
Old 07-22-2010, 05:54 PM   #9
magnus
Tivo User

Personally, I would just try to restore the original drive. This S03 in my experience has always been network related and has always been fixed by clear program data.

If restoring the original drive does not work then I would consider getting a new drive.

Quote:
I tried a 58 kickstart and I am still completely stuck at S03. How do I re-image? What kind of hard drive do I purchase?