TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-28-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
travisc77

Netflix Really Slow?

Something has happened in the last month or so. I've been really happy with Netflix on my Tivo since it was introduced, but something has happened in the last month or so.

When trying to access Netflix from now playing it takes about 2 minutes to get to my que, then it takes about a minute to page down the list. During these wait times it looks frozen. If I choose a movie, it will typically take a minute or to to get to the "Resume" or "Play", when I select to stream it usually can stream fine. But going through the Netflix menu's are horribly slow.

Funny thing is that I do not have this problem with my Premiere, only my two S3's and HD. Seems an issue with the Netflix App. I've had to watch streams on my Wii & PS3, but would prefer Tivo.

Anybody else having this problem?
Old 06-28-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

No problems at all for me with a HD unit.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:18 PM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Definitely not right. Try switching a "slow" TiVo to the network connection now used by the "good" TiVo. Is it still slow?

I use Netflix on my HD. I've had various problems from time to time but never this extreme slowness.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
rb_la

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisc77 View Post
Something has happened in the last month or so. I've been really happy with Netflix on my Tivo since it was introduced, but something has happened in the last month or so.

When trying to access Netflix from now playing it takes about 2 minutes to get to my que, then it takes about a minute to page down the list. During these wait times it looks frozen. If I choose a movie, it will typically take a minute or to to get to the "Resume" or "Play", when I select to stream it usually can stream fine. But going through the Netflix menu's are horribly slow.

Funny thing is that I do not have this problem with my Premiere, only my two S3's and HD. Seems an issue with the Netflix App. I've had to watch streams on my Wii & PS3, but would prefer Tivo.

Anybody else having this problem?

I am having the exact same problem with my Tivo HD. Tried to watch a movie last night that was on the last page of my que and it was taking forever to page down. I gave up and used my Wii instead.
rb_la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
travisc77

Yeah that's exactly what's happening to me, they are all hooked up wireless to the same router. This setup hasn't changed for 3+ years, so something must have happened with with a software update.

I can't recall when was the last reboot for these machines, maybe I'll try that this evening.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:21 AM   #6
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by travisc77 View Post
Yeah that's exactly what's happening to me, they are all hooked up wireless to the same router. This setup hasn't changed for 3+ years, so something must have happened with with a software update.

I can't recall when was the last reboot for these machines, maybe I'll try that this evening.
The last HD software update was 11.0g in the first week of April. (Would not explain something that just started one month ago.)

Are you sure nothing has changed? Router location or antenna orientation? TiVo location or wireless adapter position/orientation? My wireless is killed whenever the microwave runs -- any new sources of interference like that? (My HD is hard wired ethernet but I use wireless for other things.)

Really long shot: Disconnect the wireless adapter from your Premiere (which must be newer than 3 years, obviously) and see if that changes anything.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:26 AM   #7
travisc77

Well, I've only noticed in the last month or so, there could have been a gap in April/May when I didn't stream as much, I just can't remember.

Also, the Premiere manages the Netflix menus just fine without any slow down. It's the S3's that seem to be having the most problems and like I originally posted, if I wait long enough and actually get to "play" the actual streaming works fine. It appears to be how my S3's are managing the Netflix application.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:15 PM   #8
mattack

Since they're all wireless, maybe a neighbor has set up a WiFi router on the same channel, or there's something else interfering.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:13 PM   #9
rb_la

The wireless interference issue sounds plausible but my Tivo is using a 3 foot ethernet cable direct to the router. I just checked and Blockbuster is just as slow scrolling through the titles. I just rebooted and things are much faster for both Netflix and Blockbuster. It's only been 3 weeks since I last rebooted. Did you have any better luck after reboot Travis?

Last edited by rb_la : 06-30-2010 at 11:40 PM.
rb_la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:22 AM   #10
travisc77

Yes the reboot worked, now the menus move as they did in the past.

That was weird, and a simple fix. I've had Tivo's for 7-8 years and never had to reboot on purpose, seems like an obvious first step from now on.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:15 PM   #11
JV9999

Slow network connections (not just Netflix)

I had a similar problem where Netflix was slow to the point of being unusable. When using Rhapsody the songs would often freeze again to the point of being unusable. I rebooted Tivo a few times and that didn't seem to fix the problem. Disconnecting the Tivo-branded Wifi USB adapter didn't seem to work either. I did notice that the wifi adapter was getting awfully warm in my entertainment center. Therefore, I disconnected it, stuck it in the fridge for several minutes and then reconnected it *outside* the entertainment center. That seems to have fixed the problem. Could be that the wifi adapter was getting too hot and was malfunctioning.
JV9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 02:58 AM   #12
aceofspades626

I've been having this same problem for a couple weeks on my HD using the wireless adapter.
I just closed the adapter (turned it off?) and reopened it a couple seconds later.
Everything is back to full speed
aceofspades626 is offline   Reply With Quote