TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #91
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Who was this content provider that actually stood up for us?

I ask because TWC has dropped several channels lately (without dropping their prices by a penny, in fact I think they're raising them), so it's not clear which one of them it might have been.
HDNet
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 03:31 PM   #92
Robertjm

problems with Bravo Channel in SF Bay Area on Comcast

OK, so HOW does someone know if a recording is classified with all that 00x3 gobbledy gook? I'm on a Series 2 and have only seen a few programs marked with the Copyright flag prior to January 1st.

HOWEVER, as of now anything that appears on Bravo is marked with Copyright restrictions and today The Naked Archealogist (History International) is showing the same to episodes which I'd watched in prior months just fine w/o copyright restrictions.

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area on Comcast Digital Cable and added HD in mid-December 2010 if that adds any fuel to the fire, and it's the HD box which the Series 2 Tivo is hooked up to. The other two boxes are SD boxes, but I'm not about to move my Tivo right now.

Robert
Old 03-01-2011, 09:04 PM   #93
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

N/A for Series 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertjm View Post
OK, so HOW does someone know if a recording is classified with all that 00x3 gobbledy gook? I'm on a Series 2 and have only seen a few programs marked with the Copyright flag prior to January 1st.

HOWEVER, as of now anything that appears on Bravo is marked with Copyright restrictions and today The Naked Archealogist (History International) is showing the same to episodes which I'd watched in prior months just fine w/o copyright restrictions.

I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area on Comcast Digital Cable and added HD in mid-December 2010 if that adds any fuel to the fire, and it's the HD box which the Series 2 Tivo is hooked up to. The other two boxes are SD boxes, but I'm not about to move my Tivo right now.

Robert
Since you have a Series 2, the CCI byte value stuff doesn't apply to you. See http://www.tivo.com/copyprotection/.

If you had a Series 3 or above, you could view the CCI byte values via TiVo's UI. The directions are again at that URL.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 11:48 PM   #94
lrhorer

Quote:
Who was this content provider that actually stood up for us?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
HDNet
Actually, both HDNet and HDNet Movies. Mark Cuban has publicly stated he is against copy protection on his networks.

Quote:
I ask because TWC has dropped several channels lately (without dropping their prices by a penny, in fact I think they're raising them), so it's not clear which one of them it might have been.
Well, it wasn't exactly recent. It was back in May of 2009, shortly after Cuban made his public statement.

I would happily pay to receive HDNet and HDNet Movies.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:48 PM   #95
Dash

Where I have a problem in understanding this whole fiasco:
Time Warner allows you to transfer shows between their devices, but Tivo users can't do the same thing. It really irks me that I can't transfer a children's show that was recorded on one Tivo, to the Tivo that they really want to watch it on. ...and, if we have conflicting recordings, I might record a show on a different unit, but if it is on a premium channel, I now have to watch it on that unit.
Dash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #96
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash View Post
Where I have a problem in understanding this whole fiasco:
Time Warner allows you to transfer shows between their devices, but Tivo users can't do the same thing.
It's not very difficult to understand.

TW doesn't want you to own a TiVo. TW wants you to rent equipment from them. This allows them to show two things to Wall Street:

1) year over year asset and revenue growth
2) high revenue per user

Historically, cable has required massive amounts of capital expenditure. Which means that, historically, cable companies haven't made much in the way of profit (this has changed in recent years). And, historically, cable has financed its growth more with debt than equity, and so needs lots of revenue from which to pay the interest on that debt.

Which means that revenue growth has been the key valuation metric. The industry has a number of "fancy" acronyms for it, such as ARPU and EBITDA, but revenue, not profit is the key.

So, even if it were more profitable to TW for you to own your TiVo, they would have less revenue. So they do what they legally can to "discourage" you.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 01:29 AM   #97
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
It's not very difficult to understand.

TW doesn't want you to own a TiVo. TW wants you to rent equipment from them. This allows them to show two things to Wall Street:

1) year over year asset and revenue growth
2) high revenue per user

Historically, cable has required massive amounts of capital expenditure. Which means that, historically, cable companies haven't made much in the way of profit (this has changed in recent years). And, historically, cable has financed its growth more with debt than equity, and so needs lots of revenue from which to pay the interest on that debt.

Which means that revenue growth has been the key valuation metric. The industry has a number of "fancy" acronyms for it, such as ARPU and EBITDA, but revenue, not profit is the key.

So, even if it were more profitable to TW for you to own your TiVo, they would have less revenue. So they do what they legally can to "discourage" you.
There are several big problems with those statements.

Firstly, EBITDA is more closely tied to profit than it is revenue. High revenues with high expenses result in a low EBITDA. Moderate revenues with very low expenses result in a high EBITDA. That is how the company for which I work managed to maintain very high EBITDA margins in the 2002 - 2004 time frame despite plummeting revenues. That said, capital expenditures do not impact EBITDA calculations, and it may be true they are capitalizing new DVR purchases.

Secondly, most CATV companies don't charge much, comparatively speaking, for DVR rentals. Of course, admittedly revenue margins, and especially free cash flow, can turn on a dime, so even tiny incremental changes in revenue can make the difference between turning a profit and incurring a loss.

Finally, it ignores the main reasons the CTV companies don't want 3rd party equipment in the mix. They want desperately to be able to exercise full control over the security systems and capabilities of the edge device. They also want the (much higher) revenues produced by use of the leased systems, particularly in IPPV. Finally, they are all but obsessed with maintenance costs and 3rd party engineering issues.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:41 AM   #98
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
..... Finally, they [CTV companies] are all but obsessed with maintenance costs...........
This seems inconsistent with their pronounced tendancy to address CableCARD and Tuning Adapter service needs with the "truck roll", when many such problems don't require that. Do all these truck rolls cost them less than training some of their employees up on these issues?

Also please define "edge device" (or give a link as Phantom Gremlin did for his/her terms). I've seen the term "edge QAM modulators" and I suspect you are using "edge" in a different sense, i.e., meaning STB's etc. at the customer site.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 03:24 PM   #99
gayste
Love TiVo!

Comcast in Alexandria, Va. checkig in...

All clear except the HBO, MAX, SHO
Series3 Lifetime (broken)
Pioneer 810H Series2 (retired)
Series2 (retired)
gayste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:03 PM   #100
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayste View Post
Comcast in Alexandria, Va. checkig in...

All clear except the HBO, MAX, SHO
Thanks!
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #101
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
This seems inconsistent with their pronounced tendancy to address CableCARD and Tuning Adapter service needs with the "truck roll", when many such problems don't require that. Do all these truck rolls cost them less than training some of their employees up on these issues?
It does seem inconsistent, doesn't it? No one ever said the brass at the CATV companies are the brightest bulbs in the pack. Believe me, I've worked for a couple of them. I think mostly, however, their aim is to prove to the FCC that 3rd party devices are more cost and trouble than they are worth. In their reports to the FCC, they talk about the CableCard installaion requiring an "expert". They fail to mention the fact a baboon on qualudes is sharper than most of the "experts" they send out.

There is also an occupational hazard for senior engineering managers to develop blinders when it comes to support costs. They are often more than willing to waste huge amounts of money if it means they don't have to keep competent support staff.

The real truth, however, is the brass at a lot of CATV companies are basically control freaks. They all but have a coronary at the notion a subsriber should be able to decide what software, hardware, or firmware delivers the service to the customer. They suffer a fit at the notion a consumer might copy content from one device to another. The practically pee in their pants at the notion the customer should be able to customize their CATV lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Also please define "edge device" (or give a link as Phantom Gremlin did for his/her terms). I've seen the term "edge QAM modulators" and I suspect you are using "edge" in a different sense, i.e., meaning STB's etc. at the customer site.
The term is well defined in the communications industry. Basically it is a device that separates the core of a network from external devices that might possibly controlled by entities external to the company. It causes the external devices to be unaware of the internals of the network beyond certain publicly shared information. In hte data world it would be a switch or a router. In this case it would be a DVR, an STB, or else CableCard circuitry and firmware inside a TV.

Last edited by lrhorer : 04-18-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:35 PM   #102
vectorcatch

Comcast in Howard County Maryland just added 15-20 HD channels (including Comedy Central HD and Cartoon Network HD). Previously all channels have had the CCI byte set to 0x00 (with the exception of premiums like HBO). However, these new channels have the byte set to 0x02. I am hoping this is a fluke and will work itself out.

Has anyone here tried contacting comcast over this?

Years ago all the channels were 0x02 and one day it suddenly changed, so I figured someone was in contact with them (or at least knows who to talk to).
vectorcatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 09:37 PM   #103
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhorer View Post
There are several big problems with those statements.

Firstly, EBITDA is more closely tied to profit than it is revenue.
I'm reluctant to get into an accounting debate here, but I disagree with what you said. More importantly, there are many others who will disagree with you. EBITDA is non-GAAP. It was invented because capital intensive companies (like, historically, cable companies) had lots of revenue but little or no profit.

Here's a 3rd party statement of this principle:
Cash flow is normally defined as earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization (EBITDA).
Cash flow is most commonly used to value industries that involve tremendous up-front capital expenditures and companies that have large amortization burdens. Cable TV companies, for instance, reported negative earnings for years as they made huge capital expenditures to build their cable networks. However, their cash flow actually grew; huge depreciation and amortization charges masked the companies' ability to generate cash. Sophisticated buyers of these properties use cash flow as one way of pricing an acquisition, thus it makes sense for investors to use it as well.
Of course you might not think much of Motley Fool (and I'm not universally enamored of them), but I think that Fool and I are more correct on this issue than you are.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #104
aaronwt
HD Addict

FiOS in Woodbridge, VA. I currently have HBO, Starz, The Movie Channel, and EPIX. I've seen no restrictions on any of the HD channels FiOS has or the HD Premiums I've had. (In the past I've had all the premiums with no issues)But currently with the programming I subscribe too I can transfer any of my recorded HD content freely to my other Premieres or TiVo Desktop multiple times.

While I have not recorded content from every HD channel, the ones I have recorded from have never been an issue.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:52 PM   #105
tmesser

Comcast Naperville/Warrenville (west suburban Chicago): copy protection on premium channels only.
- 9/07: HD w/upgraded 1TB WD drive (sold)
- 9/06: S2DT 80-hour (retired)
- 4/03: S2 240 80-hour
tmesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #106
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmesser View Post
Comcast Naperville/Warrenville (west suburban Chicago): copy protection on premium channels only.
Thanks!
180hr S2

Old 07-28-2011, 04:30 PM   #107
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
FiOS in Woodbridge, VA. I currently have HBO, Starz, The Movie Channel, and EPIX. I've seen no restrictions on any of the HD channels FiOS has or the HD Premiums I've had. (In the past I've had all the premiums with no issues)But currently with the programming I subscribe too I can transfer any of my recorded HD content freely to my other Premieres or TiVo Desktop multiple times.

While I have not recorded content from every HD channel, the ones I have recorded from have never been an issue.
Done!
180hr S2

Old 07-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #108
lrhorer

Quote:
I'm reluctant to get into an accounting debate here, but I disagree with what you said. More importantly, there are many others who will disagree with you. EBITDA is non-GAAP. It was invented because capital intensive companies (like, historically, cable companies) had lots of revenue but little or no profit.
That is true, but not quite the point. In the crash of 2002, our revenue fell by more than 50%, but our EBITDA went UP. That's because it takes both revenue and expenses into account. As you point out, an increase in revenue does not necessarily imply an increase in profit, but it also does not imply an increase in EBITDA.

Quote:
Here's a 3rd party statement of this principle:
[indent]Cash flow is normally defined as earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization (EBITDA).
That's not cash flow, it is EBITDA, which is not the same as cash flow. We were EBITDA positive - indeed we had a very high EBITDA, for many, many years, but our cash flow - both levered and unlevered - was negative until just a couple of years ago.

Quote:
Of course you might not think much of Motley Fool (and I'm not universally enamored of them), but I think that Fool and I are more correct on this issue than you are.
I submit the earnings statements of the referenced companies are the best source. After all, an inaccurate earnings statement carries some serious penalties. Many companies show positive EBITDAs with negative cash flow. The original point, however, is that changes in revenue do not necesarily impact EBITDA directly, because reduced revenue may also mean reduced expenses. OTOH, a reduced EBITDA almost always does result in reduced profits, whether it means smaller positive profits, going from positive profits to negative profits (losses), or greater losses.

Almost universally in our sector, during the crash, our competitors scrambled desparately to increase their revenue, because both their covenants with the banks and their position in front of their investors was based strictly on revenue. So what did they do? They increased revenue... by taking on unnprofitable additional business. They aren't around any longer.

There is a very simple sayjng that supposedly intelligent busonessmen and investors for some odd reason fail (or refuse) to grasp: "You can't sell at a loss and make up for it in volume."
Old 07-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #109
lrhorer

I just noticed you are missing San Antonio, Tx. TWC is 0x01 for everything but locals. I think - but am not certain - Grande has everything open.

Ditto for San Marcos and New Braunfels.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:00 PM   #110
MrPresto

Copy Protection Tracking Thread

Time Warner Cable
Erie County, PA - Erie Suburban Cable

All channels are copy protected, even local broadcast stations.
MrPresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:02 AM   #111
drcos
HD where available

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPresto View Post
All channels are copy protected, even local broadcast stations.
That is contrary to FCC and government regulations. Local broadcast stations carried on cable must be set to 0x00.
Old 09-10-2011, 10:12 AM   #112
cdjohnson

Rochester, MN
Charter

Protected channels:
All Premiums (HBO, Starz, Showtime, Cinimax, etc)
107: Sprout
Old 09-24-2011, 09:43 PM   #113
nrnoble

What actually surprises me the most is that any network allows open transfers\copying of their programming (TiVo --> computer). It makes sense they want their content recorded by various DVRs to increase ratings by timeshifting, but not unretricted duplication via transferring to computer systems where they loose control of what happens to their content.

If premium networks like HBO, SHO, etc all lock down their content, why not ABC, NBC, or CBS?
Tivo user since 1999.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 02:22 PM   #114
mmcgown

Because the three networks distribute their programming over public airwaves.
mmcgown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 03:44 AM   #115
spocko
TiVo HD

Comcast, Tucson AZ: Premiums only

Cox, Northern San Diego: All except locals
spocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #116
shrike4242

A thread that discusses my recent surprises with Charter in the St. Louis area:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=477695

They've started setting the CCI flags to Copy Once, so no MRV or TTG for HBO, Cinemax and Starz. Doesn't appear to affect Showtime. Happened with a "firmware update" they did back a few weeks ago.
shrike4242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:03 AM   #117
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike4242 View Post
A thread that discusses my recent surprises with Charter in the St. Louis area:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=477695

They've started setting the CCI flags to Copy Once, so no MRV or TTG for HBO, Cinemax and Starz. Doesn't appear to affect Showtime. Happened with a "firmware update" they did back a few weeks ago.
Wahh ..... TWC protects ALL channels except local stations. Consider yourself lucky if only premiums are protected.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:39 AM   #118
djwilso

This thread about Cox Phoenix CCI byte changes looks promising:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=478219

Confirmed that all digital HD channels that I have tried have CCI = 0x00 in Phoenix right now.

I don't have any premium channels so can't speak to that, but I would assume that they are still 0x02.

Last edited by djwilso : 11-03-2011 at 01:16 AM.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 04:44 AM   #119
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilso View Post
This thread about Cox Phoenix CCI byte changes looks promising:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=478219

Confirmed that all digital HD channels that I have tried have CCI = 0x00 in Phoenix right now.

I don't have any premium channels so can't speak to that, but I would assume that they are still 0x02.
All commercial free movie channels and premium channels are still CCI Byte: 0x02

CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #120
jfalkingham

Fwiw - comcast in the Boston area has gone 0x00 on all but premium channels. This started on 9/20/2011.
1 Roamio pro
Comcast service
jfalkingham is offline   Reply With Quote