TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-19-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
rlsny

Extremely low volume on youtube through Premiere

I have a new Premiere. It is working great in general. I use HDMI output to my surround sound controller and HDMI from there to the TV. Sound gos to my external speakers through the controller. I have audio set to default Dolby setting and have tried using PCM - same issue occurs.

ok, here's the problem. Regular TV through the Tivo is fine. When I go to use youtube - the volume is very very very low. In fact for a long time we thought there was no sound. We figured out though that we can turn the volume way way up and can hear it. If you make the mistake of pressing live tv - BOOM - eardrums explode!

I know it is not the youtube videos themselves. I've tested that on other sources. Also this doesn't always happen - occasionally we can hear the youtube videos fine at normal volume levels.

I've worked with lots of audio and video systems and have checked many options. I'm quite sure it is not anything about my setup. This appears to be a bug in the Premiere. Also, by the way, the Tivo "bleep" noise gets very soft once this bug appears. Back to live TV - BOOM! Back to youtube - very very low volume.

At normal volume levels my amp is set to about -20 db. To hear the you tubes I have to crank it up to +5 or so. Definitely eardrum splitting time.

Help would be appreciated. I strongly suspect this is a Tivo Premiere bug.

Thanks.
rlsny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:12 PM   #2
rlsny

no responses - I guess my problem - low volume from youtube - is not a common problem -

Maybe someone can help me understand what happens to the audio output when I switch from regular tivo content to youtube. Is there some mode change that maybe is freaking out my surround-sounnd controller/amp? Maybe there is some signal that is causing the amp to go into a bad state and that is what is making the volume drop off?

I don't know, maybe some of you who are more familiar with the tivo outputs might be able to help out here? Does the tivo switch to some sort of digital audio mode that might make the hdmi signal appear to change state...?

(FYI the controller/amp is a Denon 790)
rlsny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
aaronwt
HD Addict

If anything I would have the opposite problem. YouTube videos are typically louder for me and I need to lower the volume a little.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 02:28 AM   #4
voodoochild

Also have low/nonexistent YouTube volume

Sometimes it's so low that I get no audio even after maxing out the volume control. Yet I can play the same video on my computer and the volume is OK.
voodoochild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 10:07 AM   #5
CavalierLion

I have the same problem with no volume (I didn't turn the volume all the way up to check if I could hear anything). Did you ever find a solution?
CavalierLion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
Jets

I have been using my Premiere less than 1 week. Volume is considerably lower than with my Scientific Atlanta cable box. Both using HDMI.
Not necessarily a problem, still have plenty of range, but I need to use considerably higher volume settings to get the same output.

I have not set up my Home Theater yet. I was using coaxial digital, I have to run an optical because the tivo has no coax digital out.
Jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
AlexFL

I just setup my 2 TiVo Premiere units yesterday but won't have cable hooked to it until tomorrow. I've only been able to test by watching YouTube videos and they do seem a little lower in volume compared to my Directv box. Could the volume issue be related to a sub-par coax cable setup or a coax signal that was weakend by a splitter?
AlexFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
aaronwt
HD Addict

Are people using the optical connection or HDMI for the audio? I use HDMI for all my Premiere connections and Youtube is louder than normal. And Pandora is even worse. I need to cut the volume in half when playing music from Pandora.

I get the same issue on four HD setups all using HDMI.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:44 PM   #9
AlexFL

I am using HDMI for all my Premiere connections. YouTube so far seems to be low, will compare against Fios tomorrow after install.
AlexFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #10
Geemer

I use HDMI and You Tube is unbearably loud for me.
Geemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:33 PM   #11
teewow

Hate to say this ... but a possible solution - Get a $59 refurbished Roku HD for internet streams. Works flawlessly. Best/speediest Netflix interface.
teewow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:36 PM   #12
ehoskins

I am also having the same problem. Since you tube videos are a lower resolution, I tried check marking all the different video modes on the video setting screen. After changing that, YouTube video volume was quite loud. However, it couldn't seem to figure out that regular TV and HD menus should run in the higher resolution mode, so they no longer filled the screen. So, I ended up turning the lower resolution modes back off since I watch way more TV than YouTube.

Ed
ehoskins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 09:49 PM   #13
ritewinger1971

I have the same problem but no audio at all, even when increasing sound to full. Please help as I would love to show the family tomorrow for Thanksgiving.
ritewinger1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #14
ritewinger1971

I fixed the problem on my unit. I did like the above poster indicated, and checked the other boxes for video output, allowing 480i outputs. Youtube videos suddenly had audio! Thanks!!
ritewinger1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 02:10 PM   #15
teewow

Just a side FYI ... my TivoP (14.6) does not stream the HD version of a utube video. However, my Roku box has recently started playing the HD streams (if available) ... which IMHO ... is a HUGE benefit since newer videos on youtube are mostly HD. Additionally, I have my own youtube channel (LooksGoodInHD) that I play in HD through my Roku. The same videos looks terrible when played through the Tivo (since Tivo locks into the 360p stream).
teewow is offline   Reply With Quote