TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
Bryanw20

THD gray screen after Powering Up

Sorry I tried searching, but coiuldn't find an answer.

I have a THD (Series 3?) and sometime over the weekend It stopped recording (wasn't home). Green LED was on, but blank/gray screen on TV, no responce from remote. So I unplug, replug, Get powering Up screen, then gray screen, Try it again, and it booted! Whew!

Then wouldn't you know it, the power in the house goes out. 2 hrs later it comes on, and now gray screen after Powering up, no matter how many times I try.

Luckily I have another THD I canceled a few months ago, so I just swapped them out, but need to know what the problem is because I'm sure it won't be long for the 2nd one to die, bought them at the same time.

So how do I tell if it's the HD or the PS? I tried the pause 5-4 diag tricks, but only the green led lights up, can't start the diag.

Can I simply swap the HD's from 1 THD to another? That would be great so I could save the programs that are on there, with all my season passes, etc.

I don't see any popped out caps on the PS. But the Network lights are both solid. It sounds like the HD is spinning.

If it's a HD, it seems easy to follow the steps I found to download MFS and make a new drive. It seems Any THD drive can be used to make new drives.

I don't have cable/cable cards only antenna, componet output, and used composite too, no HDMI.

Suggestions?
TIA!
Bryanw20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:00 AM   #2
True Colors

This issue has come up before. A couple of likely possibilities........ either your hard drive is malfunctioning, OR your hard drive is not getting power.

I had situation similar to what you described with a series 2 Tivo and it turned out my hard drive was not getting power. I opened the case and saw that there was a wire loose from the power supply to the hard drive. I fastened it and then it started working fine again.

On a side note...... you might consider getting an Uninterruptible Power Supply(UPS). If you are not familiar with a UPS it is a power reserve system that will keep your Tivo device(and other electronic devices) running even during a brief power outage. Any electronic store near you should have these and they are also available online(amazon, etc.)

Lastly, here are a couple of threads that you can look at which discuss the issue that you mentioned.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=433637

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=442374

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:59 AM   #3
Bryanw20

Thanks, so I guess I can do a simple HD swap. if the problem moves w/the HD then obviously the drive is bad.

{edit} Yup, it's the drive. moved it to the other Tivo, same results. So I took it to the PC, used winmfs, it read it, made a backup, did the boot option 1 & 2, no luck. So made an image of the good drive, now when I stick the bad drive in the PC, it won't read in winMFS
so I guess it's complete toast?

I've had UPS's in the past. It seems when they're new/good I never really needed them, and then when the power goes out it seems the batt's were so old they lasted a min or 2 and died.

Sugestions on size? Just tivo could use a small one, how big would I need to keep a 60" dlp going 5min plus for the lamp to cool down?

Last edited by Bryanw20 : 06-17-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
True Colors

Sorry to be late in getting back to you.

Do not take this as an insult if you are already up to speed on this...... but when it comes to switching a hard drive fro one Tivo to another...... do your Tivo model numbers match exactly? I do not just mean "are both of them series 2"...... I mean "do he actual TCDXXXX numbers match exactly"?

Tivo makes lots of different TCD models and that would here are different images for each one. That would come into play when swapping HD's and also when you try to put a new image on a drive.

Based on what you have said so far I would not necessarily rule out the power supply as being your problem. If that is the case then re-imaging the drive still isn't going to solve your problem. That is, a good imaged drive won't overcome a bad power supply.

As far as the UPS device goes, I went overkill and spent about 100 bucks on one. I have several appliances hooked to it(Tivo, printer, PC, etc.) and I get about 35 to 40 minutes worth of power protection. If you keep your TV off of the UPS then obviously that would keep more power available for your Tivo. Personally I do care if my Tivo loses power but I do not care so much if my television loses power. I just put the TV on a surge protector.

TC
Old 06-22-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
Bryanw20

Thanks. 99% sure it's the drive. I bought the Tivo's same time, same deal, and then I checked the TCD #'s, and they are twins. I also tried to format the drive in windows, and it started, then failed.
So now I just need to find a good deal on a small sata drive, in the 250g range should still be plenty. Since I have a spare Tivo, no rush.

Will look for a deal on a ups too.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
True Colors

You said that this is for an HD tivo, correct?

If you do not mind me making a suggestion..... I would recommend something a lot bigger than 250 gig.

Newegg will sell you this 1.5 terabyte Seagate drive for $79 with free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148531

TC
Old 06-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #7
Bryanw20

I was hoping to find a 250G for cheap, <$20 ish, but looks like they run $40ish, and 1T+ are $80ish.

I finally cleaned off my 2nd drive in my PC, from a dual boot XP/Vista, and imaged it, it automaticly asked to increase spcae, cool, pop it in dead Tivo, and it finally gets past 5 seconds. So it finally starts up, press Tivo and says Tivo detected a hardware problem, needs to restart, so I do it. Also connect to the service (guess the cancel hasn't processed yet).
But after 3 restarts it still gives me the message about found a hardware problem, I cna't record or watch recorded programs until it reboots, if problem continues call tivo and give error #51.

So what do you think now?

Edit: I finally found an answer searching erroe #51. Sounds like the #'s on the drive/board don't match (which they don't this is an image from the other drive) and need to do a clear & delete everything to reset. I'll try that and see what happens. - That seems to have fixed it, need to reconnect to an antenna, but I can transfer recordings, watch tv, record, etc.

Then I might switch back to this Tivo as I've just doubled the space, but with a drive at least as old, maybe older, can't recall now.

I think I'll make another image tho, so it'll keep the serial #'s matched for each Tivo, maybe make next time go faster!

I have a Samsung sp2504c drive in there now, so not quite double, but here's the specs:
Capacity: 250 GB nominal, 232.88 GB real
Rotation speed: 7,200 rpm
Access time: 8.9 ms
Interface: SATA-300 with NCQ (Native Command Queuing)
Cache: 8 MB (Samsung K4S641632H-UC60)
Controller Chip: Marvell 88i6525
Motor Driver: Hitachi HA13645

Is this a decent drive to use? Or should I start saving $ and get a good 1T drive? what's a good brand to get? I need semi-quit, it sits about 20' from our bed. I can't hear this samsung now at 5' cover off, but it feels warm.

Last edited by Bryanw20 : 06-24-2010 at 03:30 AM.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:59 AM   #8
justen_m

My Hitachi 1TB drive seems to be quiet. Just pony up the $$$ and get a terabyte drive. Seriously, you will thank me in the future.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:53 AM   #9
Bryanw20

Quote:
Originally Posted by justen_m View Post
My Hitachi 1TB drive seems to be quiet. Just pony up the $$$ and get a terabyte drive. Seriously, you will thank me in the future.
If it were up to me, it'd all ready be installed! Got to somehow convince the mrs that even tho she has a working Tivo now, we need to spend $80 to fix the other Tivo, just in case...
maybe next paycheck, bought to many toys all ready this month.