TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-24-2010, 01:03 AM   #211
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Me Twice View Post
What about Helen? What about Nadia?
Nadia was not there because she wasn't Sayid's true love. I did find it a bit harsh that Helen wasn't there. I guess Locke didn't love her that much either (well, he wouldn't give up his father for her so...)

Christian said that the island was the most important thing in their lives and the relationships they forged there caused them all to want to meet up after death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwreiner View Post
TV shows definitely have a huge challenge in delivering a yes on the question you identify. But is it really so bad to want the answer to be yes. It is yes for a lot of other entertainment: books, movies, plays, musicals, operas. Charles Dickens managed to write serialized novels where he certainly seemed to know where things were headed from the start. So the writers having a plan would seem to be a good thing to hope for. Does anybody affirmatively hope the writers don't have a plan?
What I don't understand is why people say there wasn't a plan. Obviously not every minute, or even every minor plot point, was planned out: you can't do that in a TV series because actors leave or die or get really tall really fast or get busted for DUI, etc. You have to change things around: that's life. But the writers said they had a plan for the story. People who don't know anything about it at all say they didn't. I guess you just have to decide who you trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottE22 View Post
Lipidis, Miles, and Richard not being there lend some support (in my mind) to the theory that they've been dead since the beginning due to the fact that none of them were on Oceanic 815.
What about Juliette? She was there and she wasn't on the plane. No, there's absolutely no question that the island really happened. Christian told Jack as much at the end.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:05 AM   #212
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Boone was there alone too.
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:05 AM   #213
mostman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
I think I liked it, but really, why have the purgatory at all? It's like the writers couldn't think of answers as to what the island was and other questions so they figured they'd pull a fast one on us and start talking about the sideways.

You have it because it's the absolute end of the story.

Put it this way. What if it ended with everyone leaving the island? Boo. What about the island just blowing up and everyone biting the dust at the same time? Also bad.

With this ending, we know where it all ultimately ends up. We watched the Losties meet. We watched them bond and grow together. We even watched some of them die. In the end, we watched them make their final journey together. It completes the arc.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:05 AM   #214
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc1 View Post
The only thing this ending did is make me feel a little better about how badly Battlestar Galactica ended - because at least it wasn't as bad as this.
The Bob Newhart bit they did for Kimmel was tremendous though. All is forgiven!
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:10 AM   #215
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
Boone was there alone too.
Maybe Boone and Locke can hook up.

I was thinking Nadia and Helen weren't there because they never were on the island.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:12 AM   #216
Honora

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeanMeScot View Post
Look at animation. How often does a character have 5 fingers? They always have 4 or less. I view this the same.
I remember seeing a print cartoon showing the broken 4-toed statue, and from another angle you see the rest of the statue on the ground and it's Homer Simpson.
Honora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:14 AM   #217
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostman View Post
You have it because it's the absolute end of the story.

Put it this way. What if it ended with everyone leaving the island? Boo. What about the island just blowing up and everyone biting the dust at the same time? Also bad.

With this ending, we know where it all ultimately ends up. We watched the Losties meet. We watched them bond and grow together. We even watched some of them die. In the end, we watched them make their final journey together. It completes the arc.
Ok, I get that, but still, I think it left too many questions that I think they didn't have an answer to. They all set aside time in purgatory because of this great event in their lives, but we know nothing about why it was such a big event.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:17 AM   #218
shaown

I liked it. Good ending, not sure how it could have been done much better.
They brought a lot of good emotion up from the early seasons. I actually enjoy the transition of the show from its early to late format (though Season 1 is still the best).

I am curious if they will give in to the pressure to make some more cash and do some followups on the post island / pre purgatory life for:
The folks on the plane that escaped + Rose, Bernard, Desmond, Hurley, and Ben, and ... they could have them find Jack and keep him alive.

I hope they don't though - I think it ended at the right place.
shaown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:17 AM   #219
jwreiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
What I don't understand is why people say there wasn't a plan.
I haven't read all the interviews with the people behind Lost, but friends of mine who have tell me that they admitted the whole Jacob/MiB story-arc wasn't conceived of until around season 3. Can anybody confirm whether that is true?
Old 05-24-2010, 01:20 AM   #220
jdfs
Unspecial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuxa View Post
If that is the case why did they have to wait for others like Jack etc.
Jack was not the last to die. Don't confuse what they showed on the island. He just happened to be the last to remember.

HDR112 196 hrs - Retired
Tivo Premier with Extender
Tivo Premier #2
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini
jdfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:22 AM   #221
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I liked the nod to Jack's father. Somebody said "really his name is Christian Sheperd?" and then at the end....he is the one that sheperd's Jack in to meet the rest of them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:24 AM   #222
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostman View Post
The timing of Jacks death to his coming around to being dead was just a stylized way to do it.
Three of your last five posts constitute about the best writing I have seen about the series. You were a good audience.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:24 AM   #223
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
I never watched an episode of Lost, but I thought I'd tune in for the finale. Except for the commercials, I liked the pace. Good music. The Target commercials were great. Obviously I don't know much of anything about the show, so I can't comment on how good or bad I thought it was. I can buy into the "sideways as purgatory" explanation posted here... that makes sense. I couldn't figure out why Jack wandered into the middle of the bamboo and died there: I see here it was a nod to the pilot ep... always nice.

When everyone took a seat in the church, were they in the same seating arrangement as on the plane? Some looked spread out (4-wide on the left?)... I thought that would have been an interesting touch.

Come join us <dates TBD>!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:24 AM   #224
JMikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwreiner View Post
I haven't read all the interviews with the people behind Lost, but friends of mine who have tell me that they admitted the whole Jacob/MiB story-arc wasn't conceived of until around season 3. Can anybody confirm whether that is true?
It's quite possible, as the story details are initially done in pretty broad strokes for the most part, and refined as you go along. There's nothing to "admit", it's normal.

In any event, the story has been told and it's over, and the producers said they told the story they wanted to tell.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:27 AM   #225
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I liked it when Locke said "Jack, I am surprised. I mean you are the obvious choice". It was funny because everyone was saying it couldn't be Jack because he was the obvious choice. Then it was him. And then it became Hurley after all.

The fight scene with Jack and Locke at the end on the cliff was awesome. And the last kiss from Kate. Yes.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:30 AM   #226
T-Wolves
Information Junkie

I loved the finale -- maybe the best 2.5 hours of TV I've ever seen. But then again Lost is my favorite show of all time (so far).

That said, I do have some disappointment about how much of the show ended up being irrelevant or misleading.

But frankly, after 6 years, that was the essence of Lost for me -- fantastic storytelling, great emotion, and lots of interesting mysteries, some of which were important, some of which were irrelevant. But the show always kept me coming back for more.

It was a great ride, and I'm glad I was around to see it. Supposedly the DVDs and Blu-Rays will have an additional 20 minutes of finale footage. I might as well order my copy now....
T-Wolves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:30 AM   #227
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I am going to go with the theory that they weren't dead on the island. The sideways life was what they could have been if they weren't flawed and I am not sure if they even went to purgatory or if they just finally were able to merge the two lifes and live the one together where they have each other and all is good.

Old 05-24-2010, 01:30 AM   #228
JMikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
They all set aside time in purgatory
It wasn’t purgatory. It doesn't fit the theological definition and the writers have said that it wasn't.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:37 AM   #229
brermike

A+++

Wow, incredible! I loved it and was completely satisfied with the ending. Sure, there were some questions that weren't answered, but so what? Most, I can fill in the blanks myself. In the end, it was as emotional and epic as anything this show has ever done. What more can one ask for in an ending? And Jack dying in the same place he started - doubly incredible!
brermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:40 AM   #230
MickeS

Without reading what anyone else thought, if I had to sum up the finale in one word: fan-f**kin-tastic. One of the best, if not THE best, episodes of TV I've ever seen. I will miss this series.

I bet many will disagree about the very last scenes, but I thought it was amazing. I'm a big weepie, so I was sobbing through the last 10 minutes of the show.

Now off to read what everyone else thought, and see how bad the episode really was.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:41 AM   #231
Maui
Major Lee Oblivious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottE22 View Post
Lipidis, Miles, and Richard not being there lend some support (in my mind) to the theory that they've been dead since the beginning due to the fact that none of them were on Oceanic 815.
Nut as someone said, wasn't Juliet there? Penny? Shoot, even Desmond was not on the original flight. He was already on the island and caused the crash.

Quote:
Harold Perrineau on Kimmel says he thinks Michael is doomed to haunt the island as a whisper forever--not that the actor would know. I'm not sure why Michael wouldn't get the redemption that others did.
Maybe he was deemed as not being important enough to the others? After all he was not on the island that long and oh yeah, there was the whole murder of 2 women issue.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:43 AM   #232
appleye1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
It wasn’t purgatory. It doesn't fit the theological definition and the writers have said that it wasn't.
I agree, it was more like limbo, but not really that either. I'm sure someone can come up with a more proper term.

I Cut The Cord! 02/11 (OTA Hulu+ Netflix)
TiVo user since 12/99
Yamms:

appleye1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:43 AM   #233
vman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
Hey Rob,

Still 100% sure that Desmond was trying to kill Locke when he hit him with the car, and that everyone who disagrees is an idiot?
And that the universe was "broken" due to the detonation of the bomb and they had to fix it to resolve the flash-sideways alternate reality?

Old 05-24-2010, 01:45 AM   #234
tewcewl

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Wolves View Post
Supposedly the DVDs and Blu-Rays will have an additional 20 minutes of finale footage. I might as well order my copy now....
Just a minor correction. It isn't footage from the finale, but completely new filmed footage, all to answer additional questions they couldn't fit in the show. I'm hoping they do the outrigger one. The Dharma drop and the Hurleybird are dead-ringers as those are the questions they've previously hinted they'll answer.
tewcewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:47 AM   #235
toddorts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
No, the writers said the island wasn't purgatory. They never commented on the flash-sideways. I think it's pretty clear that it's a purgatory-like place.
toddorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:49 AM   #236
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Well I just spent 2 1/2 hours laughing, crying, yelling at the tv and cheering.
Me too. Literally, YELLING at the TV. I only do that during sports. Amazing ending to an amazing series.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:51 AM   #237
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
This thread sucks.

There's a reason that there is a rule against starting a thread before the show ends. It's to prevent the thread from being a "chat" "hey, look at that" which is meaningless when read later.
Not that it matters, but the rule is against starting a thread earlier than 1 hour before the show starts, which is why jkeegan started it when he did (exactly 1 hour before the EDT start time).

I kinda enjoy the ongoing commentary too.
Old 05-24-2010, 01:54 AM   #238
sonnik
Innovations.

I wouldn't spoil Kimmel until his show airs on the West Coast, for what it's worth. This thread should really only be about Lost for another couple hours.

There are people on the West Coast and in Alaska/Hawaii that may want to browse the thread while they are waiting for Kimmel to start.
sonnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:55 AM   #239
DUSlider

I thought the finale was excellent. To those that say they hated it and season 6 made seasons 1-5 irrelevant. Think about it this way.

The writers always said it was about the people and their experiences and lives together, the island was secondary, the island was just sort of where it all happened and made things even more interesting.

Season 6 doesn't happen or make sense without seasons 1-5. Those connections and relationships between the characters would have never been built and the ghosts/spirits at the end would have no reason to wait for each other.
DUSlider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:56 AM   #240
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Quote:
Harold Perrineau on Kimmel says he thinks Michael is doomed to haunt the island as a whisper forever--not that the actor would know. I'm not sure why Michael wouldn't get the redemption that others did.
Michael will team up with Ben in a new sideways spinoff called "After-L*O*S*T"

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote