Pile of suck!
+1
ebf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:35 PM   #182
rlc1
Frakking idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demandred View Post
My problem with the way the story was resolved is that it makes everything about the "Flash Sideways" universe pointless.
Exactly. It was just a writing gimmick to keep us wondering all season. If they needed to meet each other in the afterlife, then they could have all just appeared in the same place without all the nonsense of Desmond and Charlie needing to have near-death experiences in order to remember. If they were all dead in the sideways, why would anyone have a near-death expeience anyway?

A finale for a show like this, which has built itself up with six years of mysteries, needs to answer at least one or two of those mysteries. This finale didn't do that.
rlc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:35 PM   #183
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
I'm not saying it was bad, but that i am just not sure how satisfying it was for me personally.
I understand completely. Also, part of my struggle is dealing with the death of all the characters I love (technically it's some sort of afterlife, but still...)
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:37 PM   #184
dtle

My biggest unanswered peeve:

1)Why and how were there still food drops by Dharma?

2)What's the big deal about keeping MIB's name unknown?
dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:37 PM   #185
SoBelle0
What's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maui View Post
Loved all but that last 10 minutes. That I am still digesting and have not made up my mind about.
Said the exact same to my friends... Absolutely Loved it! Just still digesting those last 10 minutes or so. Reading more from y'all is helping me come to terms with it...

Goodness!! I'll miss this show, and these people, and this crazy stinkin' Island sooo much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zync View Post
AND they pulled something off that is nearly impossible - they got me to watch something live, and with commercials! I guess they win in the end
And, this.
Target rocks!
SoBelle0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:39 PM   #186
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

a nice Finale...it all flowed very well except the last 15 minutes; which really dragged...

I always thought it would be Hugo...so I'm happy how it ended...I'm also glad Ben stayed and NOT as a new smoke monster...
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:39 PM   #187
mrdazzo7

I'm getting a kick out of all the commercial complaints, especially since I'm reading them on a TIVO FORUM... I waited 30 minutes before watching and didn't have to see a single commercial. Didn't phase me a bit because I have a Tivo and use it.
mrdazzo7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #188
xuxa

When did Hurley die? Why was he in the church?
xuxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:41 PM   #189
jwreiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparty99 View Post
OK, I have not been involved in any of these threads because a lot of them are way over my head, but the one thing I hate in this one is the whole, "They made it up as they went along" complaint. Who cares? Honestly, how many TV shows go on the air knowing how it's going to end? Any of them? Did you watch the Lost pilot saying, "Well, I hope they know how this is going to end"? If so, well, get a life.
TV shows definitely have a huge challenge in delivering a yes on the question you identify. But is it really so bad to want the answer to be yes. It is yes for a lot of other entertainment: books, movies, plays, musicals, operas. Charles Dickens managed to write serialized novels where he certainly seemed to know where things were headed from the start. So the writers having a plan would seem to be a good thing to hope for. Does anybody affirmatively hope the writers don't have a plan?

Last edited by jwreiner : 05-23-2010 at 11:49 PM.
jwreiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:42 PM   #190
tewcewl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dancing View Post
Yes. Jack came out of the jungle toward the beach after waking immediately after the crash and then laid down and died, that is how the story ends. In the pilot he comes out of the jungle thinking he is alive and starts saving dead people and that is how the story begins.

It was sad when they showed the real wreckage and there were no survivors.

The Island was a purgatory were the dead from many different crashes and wrecks over the years tried to figure out what the heck was going on. The light was what your supposed to go in when you die. They did not know they were dead and that is why they were so interested in the light and energy. That is all I can explain for now. Bedtime.

I'll miss Lost. Best network drama ever.
How are people still missing this? It was NOT purgatory, what we just watched for six years. The only thing that was purgatory was the flash-sideways, which have clues provided in lines by Kate, Ben and Hugo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtle View Post
My biggest unanswered peeve:

1)Why and how were there still food drops by Dharma?

2)What's the big deal about keeping MIB's name unknown?
1) That question and some other ones will be answered on the season six DVD.

2) The producers have said they will not reveal his name as it's not important to them.

I can't believe it's over. Slowly sinking in for me.
tewcewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #191
mostman

Quote:
In the pilot he comes out of the jungle thinking he is alive and starts saving dead people and that is how the story begins.

The Island was a purgatory
Wow. No sir. You need to watch again. The island was real.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:44 PM   #192
tewcewl

Quote:
Originally Posted by xuxa View Post
He died at some point in the future. We don't know. But he was there for his friends.
tewcewl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:45 PM   #193
fliptheflop

Quote:
Yes. Jack came out of the jungle toward the beach after waking immediately after the crash and then laid down and died, that is how the story ends. In the pilot he comes out of the jungle thinking he is alive and starts saving dead people and that is how the story begins.

The Island was a purgatory were the dead from many different crashes and wrecks over the years tried to figure out what the heck was going on. The light was what your supposed to go in when you die. They did not know they were dead and that is why they were so interested in the light and energy. That is all I can explain for now. Bedtime.

I'll miss Lost. Best network drama ever.
You should try and re watch the end
Jack saw the plane before he died. And Jin and Sun both saw how they drowned. Hurley was the keeper of the island for awhile after Jack.
fliptheflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:45 PM   #194
mostman

Quote:
We don't know. Could be hundreds of years after the events of the finale.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:46 PM   #195
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoons View Post
Ok... I stopped watching Lost season 1 after they started hearing noises in the woods. I think episode 2. What happened since then? In a nutshell of course.
Magic.
Wil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:46 PM   #196
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

I haven't posted much lately, but I'm always reading the excellent discussion here about LOST. I wanted to weigh in and say that I hope it's not as simplistic as "they all died in the crash," or "the sideways flashes were purgatory."

Given that, I'm wondering what was up with showing the wreckage in the end? Was it to show us that there were no survivors? I saw what looked like man-made structures in the background which supports the theory that they survived the crash, but I could be wrong.

Alternately, if the sideways flashes were their "purgatory," then (a) the first 5 seasons were pretty irrelevant, and (b) why weren't Lipidis, Miles, or Richard there?

Lipidis, Miles, and Richard not being there lend some support (in my mind) to the theory that they've been dead since the beginning due to the fact that none of them were on Oceanic 815.

Obviously, I still need to process this a bit...

Personally, I don't think they died in the crash, but the finale was pretty intense so I want to re-watch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ScottE22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:47 PM   #197
xuxa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tewcewl View Post
He died at some point in the future. We don't know. But he was there for his friends.
If that is the case why did they have to wait for others like Jack etc.
xuxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:47 PM   #198
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
I'm getting a kick out of all the commercial complaints, especially since I'm reading them on a TIVO FORUM... I waited 30 minutes before watching and didn't have to see a single commercial. Didn't phase me a bit because I have a Tivo and use it.
You needed to wait more like 45-50 minutes. I waited 32 minutes and ran out of buffered program to fast forward through just a bit later than the 1:45 mark. So I had to find something else to do for a little bit before continuing... actually didn't bother going back to finish watching till it was almost over (live), anyway.

More importantly, Breaking Bad will momentarily clear out the horrible taste left in my brain from Lost.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:47 PM   #199
unicorngoddess
Wooooonicorngodess

So why did Jack have a son with Juliet in the sideways? What was the point of that?

I don't like how they made the series finale all about the stuff that happened this season. It's like the previous 5 seasons didn't even matter.
unicorngoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:51 PM   #200
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorngoddess View Post
I don't like how they made the series finale all about the stuff that happened this season. It's like the previous 5 seasons didn't even matter.
If you found the slightest bit of emotion in the ending, it refutes this comment entirely.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:51 PM   #201
pcguru83
RIP Misty

Well I suppose I'm in the minority of those who are disappointed. I'm still trying to fully grasp everything that just happened, but I'm not too happy with what I just saw. Maybe it's just me, but the whole idea of a sideways "purgatory" and an afterlife with a bright light that takes them "home" just seems so incredibly corny to me.

I need some more time to think things over, but I don't feel that the finale has changed my opinion of this last season of Lost. I still maintain that the sixth and final season that just concluded could almost stand on it's own. It's a story all to itself, and a much different story that, quite frankly, I found pretty boring on the whole.

Bottom line, I don't like the fantasy and overly-supernatural turn that LOST took towards the end. The finale I saw tonight was not the finale to the sci-fi show I started watching six years ago.
pcguru83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:52 PM   #202
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorngoddess View Post
So why did Jack have a son with Juliet in the sideways? What was the point of that?

That's what makes me think there's something more to this that no one has teased out yet. The previous 5 seasons can't be just backstory for the purgatory subplot. Can they?!?

Old 05-23-2010, 11:55 PM   #203
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottE22 View Post
That's what makes me think there's something more to this that no one has teased out yet. The previous 5 seasons can't be just backstory for the purgatory subplot. Can they?!?
No, the purgatory is epilogue.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:55 PM   #204
mostman

Quote:
If that is the case why did they have to wait for others like Jack etc.
We are supposed to assume that the flash sideways stuff happens WAY in the future. The timing of Jacks death to his coming around to being dead was just a stylized way to do it.

The point was that Jack was the man of science. The guy who doesn't believe. The guy who ended up sacrificing himself on a belief. Watch the scene where it appears, briefly, that plugging the stone back in didn't do anything. He had come full circle....was it justified....

Jack coming around last was brilliant. He finally gave in and trusted faith. Both in life, and death.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #205
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

I was in mild horror when I thought they were going to do a blooper reel at the end. Then I thought that would have been awesome.

I was pretty satisfied with this, but mainly because it mirrored my belief in the afterlife pretty closely. I'd like to think the people who I most enjoyed and most loved will be there for me when it's time.

What's interesting is how predictable all our replies are. You could make a list of the people who would love this ending and who would hate it.

... and just as predictable, I'm content and satisfied, but certainly not blown away. It was touching and dramatic. Loved the score. Really came to like these characters. I put it in my top 10 series, but towards the bottom. Six Feet Under, The Wire, MASH, Arrested Development were more enjoyable to me.

Bye Bye Lost. Thanks for the fun, and thanks for ending on top and not dragging it on.
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:58 PM   #206
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

I think I liked it, but really, why have the purgatory at all? It's like the writers couldn't think of answers as to what the island was and other questions so they figured they'd pull a fast one on us and start talking about the sideways.

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:59 PM   #207
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
For anyone who thinks that Jack died in the Pilot and the whole thing wasn't real, Jack was wearing different clothes. In the Pilot he was wearing his suit, and at the end it was a T-shirt and jeans. If they wanted it to be him dying to start with, they would have put him in the same outfit.

Not only that, he saw the Ajira Air plane fly overhead!

Why did they show the wreckage? Just because. No reason. To say goodbye. To show that the show was over. No meaning in the show at all. There's no there there.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:02 AM   #208
whitson77
Director Level

What a giant cop-out. The ending could have been great, but the Unitarian doo doo finale sucked balls.
whitson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:02 AM   #209
ScottE22
How YOU doin'?

Regardless of what becomes the generally understood ending, I will go on record as saying it's been an amazing ride for six years. Unlike some shows that inexplicably continue well past their prime (if they ever had a prime - "CSI: Miami," I'm talking to you!) Lost ended before it had the chance to get too ponderous.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:03 AM   #210
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Harold Perrineau on Kimmel says he thinks Michael is doomed to haunt the island as a whisper forever--not that the actor would know. I'm not sure why Michael wouldn't get the redemption that others did.
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote