Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-27-2014, 02:13 PM   #1621
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I was and am okay with how it all resolved.
This. The emotional resonance of the finale far outweighed any bother I felt about unanswered questions or curious pacing choices for the final season.
Old 05-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #1622
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverman View Post
Yeah, I think they do. For such a high budget, long running, high ratings series with writers who kept saying it was all going to make sense, there is still severe anger over no answers. Even some of the comments above were not explanations, the smoke monster was not explained at all, we just were shown the beginning one, not why or how. That's like asking how the atomic bomb works and being shown just a movie of the first drop. There was a bomb in this show and it even went off but made no sense at all as did a million other things, folks are still mad over spending so much time trying to figure out a mystery. Suppose you spent a year reading a big mystery murder book and at the end instead of a resolution they just told you it was just a dream and no crime even occurred, forget all the characters you followed and the plot, I bet you'd be mad.
What possible explanation can you come up with for the Smoke Monster that would be satisfying? It was always going to be something supernatural and unexplainable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
What if when everyone guessed it was purgatory early on, the writers admitted it. How many people would have stopped watching? Lots. They HAD to deny it. Could they have been more coy about it? Sure. And they should have been. Part of the problem, I think, is that they should have been told, after season 1, not season 3 (if I have my timelines correct) that this series was going x amount of years, and they need to plan the story out accordingly. There's no reason, once they resolved the story in x amount of time, they couldn't have done another story with the same characters post what happened in the finale if they wanted to extend the series past that. You still had Hugo and Ben on the island after and there could have been more stories to tell.
That's not how TV shows are written or how the TV business works. After S1, the network isn't going to guarantee the show another five seasons. The network makes its decision after each season whether it's going to renew each show. In very rare instances, it will renew a show for more than one year. But even this year, when CBS renewed the highest-rated show on TV, The Big Bang Theory, for another three seasons, the industry was very surprised at such a lengthy renewal, because it's so out of the ordinary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverman View Post
Dahhh... of course the writers would not admit it was going to be purgatory after it was guessed, that is my point---they should WRITE something else, they are writers, they are not bound just because in the start they were going to do that, they are supposed to have an imagination, see? By ending up using purgatory they looked even dumber as well as lying. That's why many are still mad.
I'm curious what part of the final season you are having a problem with. Because for me, the flash-sideways plots to all the characters interacting in LA were actually enjoyable and I really liked the final ending of them meeting up in the church and moving on together. What I didn't like about the final season was the disjointed story of what happened on the Island. The Temple, the brothers, the Black Rock, the foot statue, etc. All of that was a complete mess and shows that the writers had no idea how they were going to resolve the story.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:03 PM   #1623
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
What possible explanation can you come up with for the Smoke Monster that would be satisfying? It was always going to be something supernatural and unexplainable.
That's not what they said. They promised everything would have a logical explanation.

What bothered me was that they both explicitly (through what they said) and implicitly (through the way they built their show over time) promised a different kind of show than what they delivered.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:15 PM   #1624
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
That's not what they said. They promised everything would have a logical explanation.

What bothered me was that they both explicitly (through what they said) and implicitly (through the way they built their show over time) promised a different kind of show than what they delivered.
I never put any faith into their claims that everything would be logically explained, because it wasn't possible. There was just way too much unexplainable stuff on that Island that it would have been impossible for them to write an ending that was satisfactory to anyone who was expecting logical explanations. Thus, I was never expecting a logical explanation.
Old 06-02-2014, 11:08 PM   #1625
getreal
postcrastinator

Am I the only one here who posted in this resurrected thread and suddenly was getting unsolicited emails from an old Lost fan using an old forum email list to spam us with requests for money for his kickstarter film project? A bunch of us have been trying to get off of that list, but he has no formal "unsubscribe" option. It just seemed to be pretty coincidental that this old thread and the sudden spam occurred one after the other.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 08:47 AM   #1626
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Nice article about Damon Lindelof and it speaks about some of the thought process behind Lost. I think, from what I gather, that he and Cuse were so surprised that this show was such a hit and they'd have to come up with SEASON'S worth of material that perhaps this lead to much of the disjointed stuff they came up with.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/ma...lost.html?_r=0
Old 06-03-2014, 04:18 PM   #1627
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

I think I've discussed this somewhere before - perhaps even upthread - but Lost was the brainchild of the then-ABC president, who had the thumbnail sketch of an idea for a show, and brainstormed it with JJ Abrams, and then had JJ do a pilot in a remarkably short amount of time. Abrams brought on Lindelof to help write it, and then after the pilot was shot and the show picked up, he got the Mission Impossible directing gig, and he left Lindelof to run it.

So yeah, he kind of got stuck holding the bag, so to speak, and had to create a show out of all the crazy ideas they threw into the pilot.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:20 PM   #1628
aindik

The ABC President was Lloyd Braun, and his is the voice you hear say "Previously on LOST."

Don't remember where I read that.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #1629
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
I think I've discussed this somewhere before - perhaps even upthread - but Lost was the brainchild of the then-ABC president, who had the thumbnail sketch of an idea for a show, and brainstormed it with JJ Abrams, and then had JJ do a pilot in a remarkably short amount of time. Abrams brought on Lindelof to help write it, and then after the pilot was shot and the show picked up, he got the Mission Impossible directing gig, and he left Lindelof to run it.

So yeah, he kind of got stuck holding the bag, so to speak, and had to create a show out of all the crazy ideas they threw into the pilot.
And then after the pilot was made and they had already begun writing and producing S1, Lindeloff (or the network suits) realized he wouldn't be able to run this show on his own, so they brought in Cuse to help make the trains run on time.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #1630
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
The ABC President was Lloyd Braun, and his is the voice you hear say "Previously on LOST." Don't remember where I read that.
I'm pretty sure that voice is Carlton Cuse's. Very distinctive, and identical to "Previously, on Bates Motel" (his current project).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #1631
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
The ABC President was Lloyd Braun, and his is the voice you hear say "Previously on LOST."

Don't remember where I read that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I'm pretty sure that voice is Carlton Cuse's. Very distinctive, and identical to "Previously, on Bates Motel" (his current project).
Nope. Aindik was right.

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Previously_on_Lost
Old 06-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #1632
smbaker

... and yet many people will remember him only as the guy on Seinfeld who didn't sell computers.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #1633
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Wow, I've been marathoning a rewatch with my daughter and we're almost done with season 3, so I've been hearing it several times a day for the last few months. I would have bet money it was him. All I can say is this:

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:

Last edited by danterner : 06-03-2014 at 06:00 PM.
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:02 PM   #1634
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbaker View Post
... and yet many people will remember him only as the guy on Seinfeld who didn't sell computers.
The guy on Seinfeld was named after the network exec.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:58 AM   #1635
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
The guy on Seinfeld was named after the network exec.
I know. He and Larry David had a business relationship. I'm just saying I bet more people will associate that name with the Seinfeld character than for any real-life accomplishments of the actual person who owned that name.

It's sort of the opposite of what they did with Steinbrenner, who they made into a larger-than-life parody of himself.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote