TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-23-2014, 04:12 PM   #1591
wprager

There wasn't a show like it before, and there hasn't been one like it since. Loved every minute of the ride even if I loved some minutes more than others. Feel sorry for those of you who feel cheated by the ending. You hate it so much go and create something better rather than continuing your whining.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #1592
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverman View Post
Well SM, I pretty well feel that way. Why? Because only if the first seasons were dreams and not really happening would there be a valid reason for no cause or explanation of what all they came across. I mean we all have had silly dreams, so saying it was all in that universe and they were dead actually would fit a bunch better with the ending not then having to explain the reasons for Dharma, the bomb and all that.. But as usual the writers were not bright enough to even try that explanation. I think it also would not be liked, but not hated as much as what they did.
I think it's very possible that was actually the writers' original plan. But after just the first few episodes, fans started speculating that was going to be the "answer" to the overarching mystery, and that kind of backed the writers into a corner. Either they had to admit this was the answer, and that would have killed all interest in the show, or they had to say this wasn't the answer, and thus maintain interest in the show. So it was a no-brainer to tell the public that the Losties were not dead and not in purgatory. The only problem is, this also required the writers to come up with an alternate explanation for everything, and ultimately, they weren't able to do it satisfactorily.

Having said that, I enjoyed every moment of watching the show, and although the final season was a little more disjointed than the previous seasons, and although the ultimate resolution wasn't as satisfactory as I had hoped, it was still very entertaining from start to finish and I'm very glad I watched and especially glad I participated in the threads here on TCF.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #1593
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
For what it's worth, I didn't feel let-down by the final season or the finale - I enjoyed it all the way through. I acknowledge that some questions were left unanswered and that the final season was a bit of a detour - I was and am okay with how it all resolved.

This. I haven't gotten as excited by a show since Lost started airing. I don't know if I ever will.

I guess Breaking Bad came close.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 10:51 PM   #1594
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Lost was great fun (I watched it with my kids, too, a few years ago). I didn't mind the ending we got.

I would have hated it if it turned out they all died in the crash. That would have been the worst possible resolution and a complete cop-out.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:30 PM   #1595
realityboy

I wasn't disappointed by the last season at all. After the end of season 1 & start of season 2, I stopped believing that things were planned out. I was a bit disillusioned and really came close to dropping my season pass at that time but kept watching out of habit. It was no longer appointment viewing. I gradually became more fond of it as the seasons went on. By the end, it was a favorite. I think I might've been letdown if I still believed that everything was planned out, but I had long since moved on from that notion.
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 06:48 AM   #1596
philw1776

I actually enjoyed half of the last season, the post-life joyful and poignant re-unions in faux LA. What bothered me about LOST was the illusion fostered by the writers that they had a plan for the island and knew how that story would end. They wrote a wonderful soap opera tinged with mystery, making it palatable for non soap viewers. Well cast well acted and well written. I didn't need some detailed explanation for everything, in fact knowing the explanation for the smoke monster ruined it by its very silliness, but the last months back story on the history of the island felt like some utter fantasy BS Ronald Moore (BSG) would pull out of his ass after a drinking bout to leap out of the corner he'd painted himself into. I'd expected better. A vast disappointment.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #1597
smbaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
, in fact knowing the explanation for the smoke monster ruined it by its very silliness,
It's been a while so I don't remember that clearly, but wasn't he simply a man (Jacob's brother) who Jacob pushed into the cave that they were told not to go into?

I didn't find it silly, but rather a typical LOST non-explanation.

The problem the producers got into is they tried to play both sides throughout the series, science and supernatural. Characters referred to the smoke monster as the Island's "security system" many times, convincing people like myself that it probably had a technological explanation rather than a supernatural one. When they finally reveal that it was just some dude, who got pushed into a cave, then it was a letdown to many.
smbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:12 PM   #1598
mr.unnatural

Lost was great when it started and continued to keep the audience mesmerized for about the first four seasons, which was no small feat by any stretch of the imagination. Towards the end, I think the writers painted themselves into a corner and couldn't come up with a brilliant way to end the show. The whole sideways story just took it off the rails to the point where it never got back on track. It just made the series even more confusing to watch.

I'm not sure there was any way to end the series that didn't disappoint part of the audience as I'm sure a lot of us had different interpretations of what was going on with different expectations of how the story would reach a logical conclusion. I thought the ending they used was cheap, disappointing, and a total cop out. Then again, I don't know what they could have done to make it any better. I think they built the show up to be larger than life and there was no resolution that could really satisfy anyone.

Personally, once Lost ended, I moved on and tried to forget about it. My interest in the show had waned considerably during the final season, but I still stuck with it just to see how it would end. I watched the series finale feeling totally unfulfilled.

I can't say that I'm surprised to hear that the same writers had something to do with Once Upon a Time in Wonderland because that show totally sucked. To be fair, it wasn't so much the writing but the way below average production values. I thought it should have been canceled after the first episode.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:58 PM   #1599
latrobe7
Just one more thing

I enjoyed LOST very much and was satisfied with the ending. I will concede that those that disliked it seem more passionate about their opinion than those that liked it, for whatever that's worth.

BTW, Once Upon a Time in Wonderland was a spin-off of Once Upon a Time, which was created by the same writers from LOST and is still going strong using the same tropes and often the same actors from LOST.
latrobe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:10 AM   #1600
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by latrobe7 View Post
I enjoyed LOST very much and was satisfied with the ending. I will concede that those that disliked it seem more passionate about their opinion than those that liked it, for whatever that's worth.

BTW, Once Upon a Time in Wonderland was a spin-off of Once Upon a Time, which was created by the same writers from LOST and is still going strong using the same tropes and often the same actors from LOST.
FYI - Once Upon a Time in Wonderland has been canceled.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:03 PM   #1601
latrobe7
Just one more thing

Right, that's why I said "was". The show it was spun-off from is still on, going into it's 4th season.
latrobe7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 06:21 AM   #1602
Crow159
Winter is Coming...

Were people really thinking that Once Upon a Time in Wonderland was going to get renewed? I remember reading before it even started airing that it was only going to be one season and that was it.
Old 05-27-2014, 07:34 AM   #1603
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Do people actually go back and read this thread? Everytime it's revived we have the same exact discussion Some people liked the ending, some people didn't and so forth.

As I've said, probably 6 times or so in this thread. LOVED, LOVED, LOVED all of the seasons until the last. And if the last season was some self contained story outside of the Losties, I'd have liked it too. It just didn't fit in with the other seasons of Lost and it ended up discounting everything we've seen from S1 on.

You know, it's possible to love a series, and just hate certain seasons or the ending or whatever. How many people loved the Sopranos but hated the ending? It doesn't make it a bad series or want me to throw away ALL the enjoyment I had along the way. I always say, Lost is like a summer long cross country trip, where you see all kinds of amazing stuff, that just blows your mind, but by the time you get to the coast and look out at the ocean, it's just so meh compared to all the cool stuff you saw and did along the way. For some though the ocean is what they were seeking though and the other stuff just doesn't matter.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:46 AM   #1604
Silverman

Yeah, I think they do. For such a high budget, long running, high ratings series with writers who kept saying it was all going to make sense, there is still severe anger over no answers. Even some of the comments above were not explanations, the smoke monster was not explained at all, we just were shown the beginning one, not why or how. That's like asking how the atomic bomb works and being shown just a movie of the first drop. There was a bomb in this show and it even went off but made no sense at all as did a million other things, folks are still mad over spending so much time trying to figure out a mystery. Suppose you spent a year reading a big mystery murder book and at the end instead of a resolution they just told you it was just a dream and no crime even occurred, forget all the characters you followed and the plot, I bet you'd be mad.
Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 08:52 AM   #1605
philw1776

I was fine with ambiguity and some mystery and could deal with non-explanations like the smoke monster was the island's defense system and just leave it at that. But the last season's "explanation" that it was this ancient retarded brother's manifestation after being tossed into the light cave was stupid at best. Last season on island sucked, while the LA post-life segment was a nice recap and reunion that did nothing to piss all over the previous seasons.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:04 AM   #1606
Silverman

Another angering thing is that the writers did not like that people early on guessed purgatory--ok, well then why use that? They had an Egyptian statue and people on island thousands of years back, but the dumb writers could not envision one of those sun-god things as the cause of the magic stuff, with him really being some alien? I mean that could have explained both the fantasy and high tech stuff, the governments interest, even why they might plant a bomb in case they can't reason with the creature. See how much better writer I am in a couple of minutes than the whole staff of fools they had? That's an ending that would have worked and there are plenty more.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:57 AM   #1607
philw1776

I think they were infused with hubris and they'd lost interest, moving on to their next gig.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:21 AM   #1608
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
I think they were infused with hubris and they'd lost interest, moving on to their next gig.
I don't think so. Much as I don't like what they ended up doing, I believe it's what they intended to do all along...and the (better, more interesting) stuff in the middle was just filler to therm.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:42 AM   #1609
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Yeah, I think they do. For such a high budget, long running, high ratings series with writers who kept saying it was all going to make sense, there is still severe anger over no answers. Even some of the comments above were not explanations, the smoke monster was not explained at all, we just were shown the beginning one, not why or how. That's like asking how the atomic bomb works and being shown just a movie of the first drop. There was a bomb in this show and it even went off but made no sense at all as did a million other things, folks are still mad over spending so much time trying to figure out a mystery. Suppose you spent a year reading a big mystery murder book and at the end instead of a resolution they just told you it was just a dream and no crime even occurred, forget all the characters you followed and the plot, I bet you'd be mad.
And then two years later you sit back and realize, you know, I really enjoyed most of the book. The characters were interesting and there's that multiple murder during the wedding scene that the author killed off a few of the characters we liked. That really was awesome. Yeah the ending sucked, but I enjoyed most of what I read. You're still going to remember the book, and you might be pissed at the ending, but I doubt you'd regret reading it.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:46 AM   #1610
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Another angering thing is that the writers did not like that people early on guessed purgatory--ok, well then why use that? They had an Egyptian statue and people on island thousands of years back, but the dumb writers could not envision one of those sun-god things as the cause of the magic stuff, with him really being some alien? I mean that could have explained both the fantasy and high tech stuff, the governments interest, even why they might plant a bomb in case they can't reason with the creature. See how much better writer I am in a couple of minutes than the whole staff of fools they had? That's an ending that would have worked and there are plenty more.
What if when everyone guessed it was purgatory early on, the writers admitted it. How many people would have stopped watching? Lots. They HAD to deny it. Could they have been more coy about it? Sure. And they should have been. Part of the problem, I think, is that they should have been told, after season 1, not season 3 (if I have my timelines correct) that this series was going x amount of years, and they need to plan the story out accordingly. There's no reason, once they resolved the story in x amount of time, they couldn't have done another story with the same characters post what happened in the finale if they wanted to extend the series past that. You still had Hugo and Ben on the island after and there could have been more stories to tell.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:51 AM   #1611
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I don't think so. Much as I don't like what they ended up doing, I believe it's what they intended to do all along...and the (better, more interesting) stuff in the middle was just filler to therm.
I agree with this. The problem is that what they wrote in the middle was much better than the last season, and the story got WAY too involved in the other parts of the plot to where the last season made little sense because they went so far away from that plot line. I always felt, that if they introduced Jacob earlier in the series as something real, and not the perception that he just might have been made up by Ben and then additionally by Locke, then the last season might have made much more sense.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:55 AM   #1612
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Please ignore - looks like Forum Runner is going haywire on me.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by danterner : 05-27-2014 at 11:01 AM.
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #1613
KDeFlane

When people talk about "the writers of LOST" they often neglect the fact that there were MANY different writers, and the staff rotated in and out over its many seasons. They usually mean to indict the showrunners and/or producers, and specifically the ones with the most visibility in its later years.

If you enjoy hearing about how the show was originally envisioned and how it evolved (and how it could have failed), here is a recent article written by one of the writers who was there during its earliest days (but left after the third season):
"Finding the Next LOST"
http://www.apex-magazine.com/finding...nt-i-have-one/
KDeFlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:47 AM   #1614
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Another angering thing is that the writers did not like that people early on guessed purgatory--ok, well then why use that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
What if when everyone guessed it was purgatory early on, the writers admitted it. How many people would have stopped watching? Lots. They HAD to deny it. Could they have been more coy about it? Sure. And they should have been.
ARGH!

When they denied purgatory they were denying that the ISLAND was purgatory, and they were right, the island never was purgatory.
The only time the "is it or isn't it purgatory" comes into play was the "sideways" flashes of post-island life on the last season, that one they really can't explain away, it was very purgatory-esque.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:55 AM   #1615
philw1776

I have no regrets for the enjoyable time I spent watching the terrific journey LOST. However, the imbecilic way it ended makes it very, very difficult to re-watch the series as I had once looked forward to savoring. No more.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:00 PM   #1616
Silverman

Dahhh... of course the writers would not admit it was going to be purgatory after it was guessed, that is my point---they should WRITE something else, they are writers, they are not bound just because in the start they were going to do that, they are supposed to have an imagination, see? By ending up using purgatory they looked even dumber as well as lying. That's why many are still mad.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:22 PM   #1617
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDeFlane View Post
... If you enjoy hearing about how the show was originally envisioned and how it evolved (and how it could have failed), here is a recent article written by one of the writers who was there during its earliest days (but left after the third season):
"Finding the Next LOST"
http://www.apex-magazine.com/finding...nt-i-have-one/
Thanks for that link!

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 12:42 PM   #1618
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Dahhh... of course the writers would not admit it was going to be purgatory after it was guessed, that is my point---they should WRITE something else, they are writers, they are not bound just because in the start they were going to do that, they are supposed to have an imagination, see? By ending up using purgatory they looked even dumber as well as lying. That's why many are still mad.
I'd say many are mad because they didn't get the ending they wanted. I was mad (and have since gotten over it), because I thought that the last season marginalized what we had seen the previous seasons. And as I said, taken separately from the rest of the story, I thought the last season told a pretty decent story, it just had little to do with everything else we have been seeing and it was just all about some dumb argument between two brothers. The Purgatory stuff could have actually worked without that in my opinion. But again, I'm not mad enough that I'd never watch again, or that I didn't enjoy the seasons before the last one. I actually kind of enjoyed the last one too, just didn't really like the direction they took.
Old 05-27-2014, 01:27 PM   #1619
javabird

I'm kind of confused why people keep referring to some of the same theories, even after they've been debunked. It wasn't purgatory, and it wasn't all a dream. "What happened, happened."

As to the number of seasons, Cuse & Lindelof maintained almost from the beginning that the plan was for only 6 seasons. (They had a running joke about the "zombie season" when people asked if there would be more.)
javabird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:46 PM   #1620
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by javabird View Post
I'm kind of confused why people keep referring to some of the same theories, even after they've been debunked. It wasn't purgatory, and it wasn't all a dream. "What happened, happened."

As to the number of seasons, Cuse & Lindelof maintained almost from the beginning that the plan was for only 6 seasons. (They had a running joke about the "zombie season" when people asked if there would be more.)
I thought it was after the third season they were told how many seasons they would have left.

The Island was "what happened happened" the LA stuff at the end of the series was Purgatory, from what I understand.