Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-01-2013, 08:22 AM   #1441
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figaro View Post
However I do agree with a lot of the folks here, Rob H, in particular, about the direction season six took. The entire flash sideways thing just felt like a cop out/rip off. I just don't understand what they felt was the allure of that approach. While they had given themselves a lot of plot lines to resolve, I don't feel that they had written themselves into a corner. I just think they got tired and half assed the easy way out.

Season 6 really was like a completely different show. I hope it wasn't just dismissive arrogance of the fanbase. I certainly got that impression from the Mother's line in "Across the Sea" of "Every answer I give will just lead to another question" Jacob and Barry just scream cop out to me with the simplistic lets just make it about good and evil and here you go.

The finale was just, well lame. For me the finale is the end of Season 5. Juliet blowed it all up and everyone was fine. That leaves me with 5 seasons of some very compelling story telling and rightfully ignores the lame ending which was akin to a college kid on an all nighter just trying to wrap up his paper.
It fascinates me how dismissive people often are about the massive effort required to put on a TV show like this. There was nothing "half-assed" or "easy" about any season of Lost including season 6. I fully believe that Cuse and Lindelof & Co. told exactly the story they planned to tell in the end, the way they wanted to tell it. You may not like their choices -- and I agree that some criticism is warranted -- but to imply they blew it off is silly, not to mention presumptuous.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #1442
philw1776

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
It fascinates me how dismissive people often are about the massive effort required to put on a TV show like this. There was nothing "half-assed" or "easy" about any season of Lost including season 6. I fully believe that Cuse and Lindelof & Co. told exactly the story they planned to tell in the end, the way they wanted to tell it. You may not like their choices -- and I agree that some criticism is warranted -- but to imply they blew it off is silly, not to mention presumptuous.
So you're saying that the writers deliberately and with forethought decided to tell a season 6 story that made all the adventures of the 1st 5 seasons close to moot. They decided to introduce major characters and a storyline tangential to the prior seasons' happenings. Even more damning to say that than to claim a lazy, tired with the show cop out.

I am speaking about the Jacob MIB backstory and present day conflict. The LA/purgatory story is different, a separate issue. I could see that denouement as always having been their intention. It was a nice recap and emotionally fun to see characters again we had thought were lost to us, even for those of us not inclined to fantasy or spiritual story lines. They did that part well even though it was not my choice.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #1443
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
Maybe, maybe not. I think there was an article floating around, maybe from Sepinwell's book that talks about changes they made based on the popularity of characters etc. I think it said that had had that final scene in mind from the beginning but not how the journey went. I don't think this has anything to do with how hard or easy it is to put on the series. And if this is exactly the story they REALLY wanted, then they must have wanted to insult a large portion of the audience along with it. It was almost as if they stuck up their middle finger at the audience and said....what you watched fro 5 years means nothing...here's the REAL story. I think that's why people got upset. It's not dismissive of what they were doing, it's that we just didn't like it, or get why they went that way. There's no reason they couldn't stick to a story that melded with what we had seen for 5 years and it ending with that SAME final scene.

Yeah, I know, a lot of it is sour grapes that we didn't get the ending we might have wanted. I get that. But I hate the feeling that it felt like I wasted 5 years on a story that meant nothing at the end of the day. In some respects it felt like a full season's worth of the last episode of St. Elsewhere, where it was revealed that the whole SERIES was in the head of an autistic child.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #1444
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Sour grapes is the main thing I get from your post.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:32 PM   #1445
aindik

If anyone "likes" LOST on Facebook, they are starting to post events on their Facebook timeline that happened in the show. Could get interesting if they get into the time travel events.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:35 PM   #1446
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Yeah, I know, a lot of it is sour grapes that we didn't get the ending we might have wanted. I get that. But I hate the feeling that it felt like I wasted 5 years on a story that meant nothing at the end of the day. In some respects it felt like a full season's worth of the last episode of St. Elsewhere, where it was revealed that the whole SERIES was in the head of an autistic child.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Sour grapes is the main thing I get from your post.
I get it, though.

I think what happened is they had something they wanted to do, and there were 2-3 seasons in it. The rest was, in their mind, just filler. But it was the filler that kept a lot of people (like Steve and me) coming back year after year. We thought the filler was what mattered. And when it turned out the filler was just...filler, we felt kind cheated.

I suspect if they could do it over again, they would do it differently. I suspect they really didn't get (until it was too late) that so many people were getting so deeply involved in their filler; that, to so many people, the filler WAS the show.

Great ride. Shame it ended in such a wreck.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:34 PM   #1447
Figaro
El Caganer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I get it, though.

I think what happened is they had something they wanted to do, and there were 2-3 seasons in it. The rest was, in their mind, just filler. But it was the filler that kept a lot of people (like Steve and me) coming back year after year. We thought the filler was what mattered. And when it turned out the filler was just...filler, we felt kind cheated.

I suspect if they could do it over again, they would do it differently. I suspect they really didn't get (until it was too late) that so many people were getting so deeply involved in their filler; that, to so many people, the filler WAS the show.

That's the what's so backwards and silly about this. What the writers thought was so important wasn't. Which is really pretty sad. If they didn't really care about the mythology they should have made the characters actually change somewhat. Up until the end, quite literally, the characters didn't really change much. Sure Jack had his crisis of faith after Juliet died but other than that he was the same broken person trying to fix things up until the very last episodes. The same goes for all of the other characters.

The filler was the only thing that ever changed. All the flashbacks, forwards, and sideways sequences ever did was reinforce who the characters were. If all they wanted to do was tell a story of redemption via epiphany, they could have done that in a two hour movie.

I still don't get the fact that even after they set an end date for the show, that they still ended up having to rush and ham fist the ending with the sloppy MIB and Jacob storyline. A rush job like that usually only happens when a show is unexpectedly cancelled and the writers have to rush to compress everything in.
-"-"-
Ya RLY!
Figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 11:32 PM   #1448
Test

Has anyone cut the series so the scenes are in chronological order yet?
Old 02-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #1449
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
That would be quite the YouTube video!
Old 02-02-2013, 07:33 AM   #1450
WO312

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figaro View Post
.....I still don't get the fact that even after they set an end date for the show, that they still ended up having to rush and ham fist the ending with the sloppy MIB and Jacob storyline. A rush job like that usually only happens when a show is unexpectedly cancelled and the writers have to rush to compress everything in.
I totally agree with you. I actually thought it was pretty good how they intertwined two stories in the last season - what was happening live and what was happening in the purgatory story line. We were confused at times about what was happening but it made sense in the end when we realized there were two different stories. And I liked the purgatory ending.

But they sure botched the real time story line. They had plenty of hours available to tell a better story. The ending was fine with Jack dying on the island in the final scene, but getting there was botched.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #1451
danterner
Not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post

I haven't viewed it, but there's a website called "Chronologically LOST" that seems to have done just that.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| Twitter:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:07 AM   #1452
Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I haven't viewed it, but there's a website called "Chronologically LOST" that seems to have done just that.
Wow, I was just joking, but I shouldn't be surprised that someone did this and posted it online.

http://www.chronologicallylost.com/?m=1

I'll have to check the first few out
Old 02-04-2013, 12:55 AM   #1453
BitbyBlit

Quote:
I think your description of S6 is consistent with what most of us posted here. To me, it felt like a different show, and it completely made S1-5 feel irrelevant and unimportant to the whole scheme of things. That said, in context to the rest of the SEASON, I felt the ending wasn't that bad. In context to the whole series, not so much. I kind of agree, Juliet blowing up, almost makes more sense as the series finale to Lost 1.0 (the first 5 intertwining seasons) and the actual series ender is more like that of Lost 2.0. But it was what it was. There have been few series on TV that lead to true water cooler discussion (outside of these reality series). Lost was almost in a class by itself. While I'm disappointed in the last season, it's still one of my favorite TV shows of all time, and outside of perhaps Fringe, which just ended, the last must see the night of the episode series for me.
Interesting that you bring up Fringe, because while I didn't feel what you felt about Lost, I did feel that way about Fringe.

Ever since...

Spoiler:
Peter stepped into the Machine

...I felt the show had lost its direction. I kept hoping they would eventually tie things together, but they never really did.

In the end, the acting was excellent and the story was emotionally satisfying, but the series never connected together the way I had hoped it would.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:38 AM   #1454
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I get it, though.

Exactly this. You know, all they needed to do was inject more about how important Jacob was during the first 5 seasons, then it wouldn't have seemed so out of the blue. For the first 5 seasons I thought that Jacob was mostly a figure of Ben's imagination. I thought he used Jacob as a way to justify his power and take the heat off his "less than stellar" decisions. You know, like "the devil made me do it". So at the end of S5, we learn that this whole thing is about Jacob, without a clue to his importance, it was really kind of a big change in the story. Anyway, it's all been said already.
Old 02-05-2013, 07:45 AM   #1455
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitbyBlit View Post
Interesting that you bring up Fringe, because while I didn't feel what you felt about Lost, I did feel that way about Fringe.

Ever since...

Spoiler:
Peter stepped into the Machine

...I felt the show had lost its direction. I kept hoping they would eventually tie things together, but they never really did.

In the end, the acting was excellent and the story was emotionally satisfying, but the series never connected together the way I had hoped it would.
The thing about Fringe, is, from the very beginning, there didn't seem to be a single purpose to what they were doing, it was a bunch of story lines and each season there seemed to be something else. Only the last season did it seem they were really pointing at some specific ending. Lost ALWAYS seemed to be pointing to something, either getting off the island or, what is the meaning of the island (once they went back). So I was more ok with Fringe changing the storyline from season to season.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #1456
astrohip
Stuart F

And it was three years ago tonight...
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:33 AM   #1457
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
And it was three years ago tonight...

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:31 AM   #1458
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Guys... We have to go back.
Old 05-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #1459
rondotcom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Guys... We have to go back.
We're not going to Guam, are we ...
rondotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:07 AM   #1460
mwhip
All better

Saw in article on HuffPo today that read "Lost finale aired 3 years ago and people are still pissed"

I got a chuckle from it.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:22 AM   #1461
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Saw in article on HuffPo today that read "Lost finale aired 3 years ago and people are still pissed"

I got a chuckle from it.
I still have the last three episodes on my DVR....I just can't bring myself to delete them...even though I have all the seasons on DVD.

I'm surprised someone hasn't picked Lost up on syndication. I think I remember seeing them for awhile somewhere, but it's been at least 2 years. Seems like a natural to rerun on SyFy or even Chiller or Cloo
Old 05-24-2013, 09:30 AM   #1462
mwhip
All better

Quote:
I still have the last three episodes on my DVR....I just can't bring myself to delete them...even though I have all the seasons on DVD.

I'm surprised someone hasn't picked Lost up on syndication. I think I remember seeing them for awhile somewhere, but it's been at least 2 years. Seems like a natural to rerun on SyFy or even Chiller or Cloo
Yeah but I bet JJ and company want a lot of $$$. Plus it is a hard show to watch in syndication I think.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:56 AM   #1463
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:

I have the last episode, the Finale. On 3 different TiVos. Just in case. Since it's not copy-protected, I can move it around every time I get a new one.

I remember at the time it was still airing, it was already being syndicated. I think it might have been on ABC also. Late night airings. Watched one or two, but you're right, it's not an easy show to drop in on. Maybe a start to finish viewing.

But I haven't seen it anywhere in years.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #1464
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
I have the last episode, the Finale. On 3 different TiVos. Just in case. Since it's not copy-protected, I can move it around every time I get a new one.

I remember at the time it was still airing, it was already being syndicated. I think it might have been on ABC also. Late night airings. Watched one or two, but you're right, it's not an easy show to drop in on. Maybe a start to finish viewing.

But I haven't seen it anywhere in years.
The ABC affiliate here in NY used to show it opposite SNL. Usually they were about a season behind, so it was nice to watch, because you kind of understood things that you didn't before.

Hmmmm...summer is here....maybe time for a rewatch?
Old 10-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #1465
jkeegan

Lost was such a damned good show...

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
jkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:27 AM   #1466
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post
Totally agree. For all it's crazyness, it was a must watch for me. Probably the last show that I HAD to watch the night it was on.
Old 10-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #1467
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkeegan View Post
Quote:
Totally agree. For all it's crazyness, it was a must watch for me. Probably the last show that I HAD to watch the night it was on.
You guys are only posting because I posted a link to this thread.

I miss it, too, on the way to work I was just thinking about the introduction of Ben, and how we all thought HE was Jacob for the longest time.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #1468
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
You guys are only posting because I posted a link to this thread.

I miss it, too, on the way to work I was just thinking about the introduction of Ben, and how we all thought HE was Jacob for the longest time.

Greg
Well I posted because there was a new post in this thread

Ben was such a sublimely evil character. You really didn't know what he was, or whether he was lying or telling the truth. And acted so well.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:13 PM   #1469
jkeegan

Quote:
Well I posted because there was a new post in this thread

Ben was such a sublimely evil character. You really didn't know what he was, or whether he was lying or telling the truth. And acted so well.
and I didn't see any link (not that I remember anyway), I posted because we TALKED about this thread (and it's post-count).

And, because I miss Lost.

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
Old 01-30-2014, 12:14 PM   #1470
jkeegan

Man I miss this show...

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all