Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #1411
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
I get it, but then again I don't, at least not really, because I think that people like you would have never been satisfied. As Damon Lindelof points out in that interview linked above, one of the very worst scenes from anything ever is when the Architect explains everything in the last Matrix movie. Talk about robbing all of the joy of what was a very cool concept. There was no way to answer all of the mysteries and questions that had been raised by the show, at least not in a way that would have been satisfying dramatically and artistically.

Here's another analogy: ever picked up and took a drink out of a glass of iced tea, but when you took the drink you were expecting it to be Coke? Now, you may love iced tea as much as you love Coke, but at that moment the iced tea is going to taste like the worst Coke in the world... at least until you realize it was never Coke to begin with, and it is in its own right a damned fine glass of iced tea. To me, that's the finale - it may not have been quite what you were expecting it to be, but once that shock/disappointment wears off, you realize that it was never suppposed to be Coke. It was just supposed to be a helluva glass of iced tea.
Good analogy. Yes that's how I felt. In retrospect, I think the ending was really good. At the time though, because I didn't like the turn the series took (i.e. the whole thing being a game between Jacob and MIB), I found the whole last season disappointing. For what it was, it was still compelling TV, but the story didn't go as I had hoped.

I kind of look at the ending a lot like I do the Seinfeld finale. When I watched it the first time, it was like WTF, but over time, I've watched it and realized, it was really pretty good.

But you're wrong, had the series not taken that turn, I would have been TOTALLY satisfied. Solving every mystery was not paramount for me, as long as the major ones were.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #1412
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
The problem I had with the ending (and the Lindelof interview kind of confirmed it) is that it had little to do with most of the show. I think he believed that all the stuff with the hatch, the Dharma Initiative, the time traveling, etc., was just unimportant filler. To me, and I think to a lot of people, it was the core of the show. But the ending had nothing to do with any of that. The sixth season could just as easily have been the second season or the third or fourth. Nothing that happened between the first and sixth seasons really mattered in the end. But it sure FELT like it mattered at the time.

To say "we knew how it was going to end all along" on a show like this SHOULD mean a whole lot more than "Jack is lying on the beach, closes his eyes, and dies." If that's all they wanted to do, then they should have tossed out all the, ahem, good stuff, and just made a two-season show about people in Purgatory.
This. Although Jack on the beach dying...no problem with that. What I agree with is that because of the turn it took, it did make what we saw during season 1 through 5 unimportant, and what we saw during those seasons WAS Lost. What we saw during S6, was something completely different.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #1413
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by betts4 View Post
Oh, and Sawyer is HAWT!!!!!

Anyone else think we were going to see him ALL over TV and probably starring in a new show over the last 2 years? I've seen him guest on one or two shows, but nothing major.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:32 PM   #1414
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Anyone else think we were going to see him ALL over TV and probably starring in a new show over the last 2 years? I've seen him guest on one or two shows, but nothing major.
I thought that about a few others - Jack, Kate, Locke...

Hawaii 5-0 gave us Locke and Jin. Hurley is a support character on...can't think of the show - something about the prison.

I was always waiting for Scooby doo to pop out here -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:33 PM   #1415
philw1776

Quote:
The problem I had with the ending (and the Lindelof interview kind of confirmed it) is that it had little to do with most of the show. I think he believed that all the stuff with the hatch, the Dharma Initiative, the time traveling, etc., was just unimportant filler. To me, and I think to a lot of people, it was the core of the show. But the ending had nothing to do with any of that. The sixth season could just as easily have been the second season or the third or fourth. Nothing that happened between the first and sixth seasons really mattered in the end. But it sure FELT like it mattered at the time.

To say "we knew how it was going to end all along" on a show like this SHOULD mean a whole lot more than "Jack is lying on the beach, closes his eyes, and dies." If that's all they wanted to do, then they should have tossed out all the, ahem, good stuff, and just made a two-season show about people in Purgatory.
Spot on.

To those saying it's about the journey, not the destination then why let the ending/destination render the journey meaningless? The sudden emphasis on the wackjob brothers out of the blue in half of S6 detracted from all the varied interesting wayposts previous in the heretofore fascinating journey. Made most of them moot. Doing so makes re-viewing a waste of time. Had the writers had something to say in S6 about at least SOME of the preceding phenomena it would have been a treasure to re-view the entire series looking for hints. But not so with the way they chose to end it with their "Look! A Squirrel!" distraction from the sad fact that they too really did not have a plan.
philw1776 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:39 PM   #1416
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I thought that about a few others - Jack, Kate, Locke...

Hawaii 5-0 gave us Locke and Jin. Hurley is a support character on...can't think of the show - something about the prison.

I was always waiting for Scooby doo to pop out here -
Alcatraz
Old 05-24-2012, 02:41 PM   #1417
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Which board? I was on losttv-forum and some long name on yuku boards before that. Then pretty much I had to get a grip on reality. So then I just vaguely read that board and the fuselage board.
Fuselage was too big and too busy for me.

My friends were on Tvtome.com before it became Tv.com. I think I am remembering the tvtome correctly. Anyway we were on tvtome for maybe ahalf a season and then it changed to tv.com and we were on that for awhile but were not really happy and then one of us started a board via proboards. Called it -LOST: The Caves & The Beach (back when there was a cave and a beach). There was a core group of about 30 of us that met every week online to discuss stuff and share what we had seen on other boards. Now about 10 of us are still friends on FB. I liken it to a really small TCF. We were not just LOST friends, but that is what got us together.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 05-24-2012, 02:43 PM   #1418
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER

And Jack, on the ground looking up....again.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:45 PM   #1419
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Spot on.

To those saying it's about the journey, not the destination then why let the ending/destination render the journey meaningless? The sudden emphasis on the wackjob brothers out of the blue in half of S6 detracted from all the varied interesting wayposts previous in the heretofore fascinating journey. Made most of them moot. Doing so makes re-viewing a waste of time. Had the writers had something to say in S6 about at least SOME of the preceding phenomena it would have been a treasure to re-view the entire series looking for hints. But not so with the way they chose to end it with their "Look! A Squirrel!" distraction from the sad fact that they too really did not have a plan.
During S1-S5 we weren't even sure that Jacob was real and I think a lot of us were leaning toward it being another lie Ben was telling to manipulate the Losties. Where we all got upset is that a fairly minor character for 5 seasons turns out to be the WHOLE reason the whole thing existed. Again, those those first 5 seasons were some of the most compelling TV ever, but....in the end, as this post says, it really was meaningless.

Perhaps if they introduced Jacob as a real character earlier in the series instead of him being a "what if", I could have appreciated the last season better.

And again, it feels good talking about this again
Old 05-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #1420
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
During S1-S5 we weren't even sure that Jacob was real and I think a lot of us were leaning toward it being another lie Ben was telling to manipulate the Losties. Where we all got upset is that a fairly minor character for 5 seasons turns out to be the WHOLE reason the whole thing existed. Again, those those first 5 seasons were some of the most compelling TV ever, but....in the end, as this post says, it really was meaningless.

Perhaps if they introduced Jacob as a real character earlier in the series instead of him being a "what if", I could have appreciated the last season better.

And again, it feels good talking about this again
Yeah, I was happier with the show back when I thought Ben had made up Jacob so it would appear that he had a boss telling him what to do (when he really didn't).
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 03:51 PM   #1421
astrohip
Stuart F

http://www.hitfix.com/whats-alan-wat...-2-years-later

From Alan Sepinwall...

Quote:
So rather than analyze some more, I thought I'd do something simpler, and hopefully more fun, and pick out a collection of some of my favorite scenes from six seasons of "Lost" for you to enjoy if you're feeling similarly nostalgic today. These aren't all of the best scenes ever, or any kind of representative sample; it's just a handful of moments that instantly came to mind when I was recalling how much fun I had watching the adventures of Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Locke, Hurley and friends over the years. I'm sure you all have your favorites, and if you want to discuss them (or link to them) in the comments, by all means, go for it.

astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:23 PM   #1422
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
From Alan Sepinwall...
Thanks for the link! That was great. I loved this show so much. Please disregard any negative comments I may have made above.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #1423
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776

Spot on.

This. Exactly.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #1424
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
I'm rather shocked we haven't. He's attractive and a good actor and was on a mega hit show. You'd think he would have had scripts falling out of his pockets.

Quote:
Fuselage was too big and too busy for me.

My friends were on Tvtome.com before it became Tv.com. I think I am remembering the tvtome correctly. Anyway we were on tvtome for maybe ahalf a season and then it changed to tv.com and we were on that for awhile but were not really happy and then one of us started a board via proboards. Called it -LOST: The Caves & The Beach (back when there was a cave and a beach). There was a core group of about 30 of us that met every week online to discuss stuff and share what we had seen on other boards. Now about 10 of us are still friends on FB. I liken it to a really small TCF. We were not just LOST friends, but that is what got us together.
I never went there but now I'm sad I had no close group of friends. The closest I've ever been with anyone I met online was my DMB folks that we still meet up at shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
Great!!!

Now I think I need to find time to watch again. One of the few series I own the entire thing of.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #1425
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I'm rather shocked we haven't. He's attractive and a good actor and was on a mega hit show. You'd think he would have had scripts falling out of his pockets.
I have this image of him lounging on a beach somewhere, drinking tequila and smoking joints rolled with $100 bills...
Old 05-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #1426
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
I have this image of him lounging on a beach somewhere, drinking tequila and smoking joints rolled with $100 bills...
Josh or Sawyer?
Old 05-24-2012, 05:11 PM   #1427
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Josh or Sawyer?
To me, there is no difference.

He'll have to have another memorable role or two under his belt before I can be bothered to distinguish.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:13 PM   #1428
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
To me, there is no difference.

He'll have to have another memorable role or two under his belt before I can be bothered to distinguish.
You have a point.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #1429
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

He was good in a bit part at the beginning of the latest Mission Impossible movie as another IMF agent, and I dug him as Black Rider in the 2nd Community paintball ep. I would bet he's probably tired of 6 straight seasons of series work, and is taking a break. He was in the biz for a long time before breaking out, so he's probably used to living below his means.

So yeah, he's probably up to what Rob suggested.

Last edited by DreadPirateRob : 05-25-2012 at 10:58 AM. Reason: typos
DreadPirateRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #1430
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I never went there but now I'm sad I had no close group of friends. The closest I've ever been with anyone I met online was my DMB folks that we still meet up at shows.
Wish I had known you then. Would have been happy to invite you!!

Old 05-25-2012, 11:25 AM   #1431
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:

Old 05-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #1432
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Hah, you invited me, but I never did anything there. Interestingly enough, I did use tvtome.com, and loved it, but when it became tv.com all their javascript add-ons made it slow as hell, so I stopped using it.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #1433
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
Hah, you invited me, but I never did anything there. Interestingly enough, I did use tvtome.com, and loved it, but when it became tv.com all their javascript add-ons made it slow as hell, so I stopped using it.

Greg
That's why we moved to another site. Besides it was full of people that would just log on and say "that sucked" or "that was awesome" and not really discuss the episode.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #1434
wprager

Quote:
This. Although Jack on the beach dying...no problem with that. What I agree with is that because of the turn it took, it did make what we saw during season 1 through 5 unimportant, and what we saw during those seasons WAS Lost. What we saw during S6, was something completely different.
What we saw during S1-4 *was* important. Those experiences (Island time and flashbacks) had shaped them all into the people they became, and explained the decisions they all made. Many here were predicting that Hurley would become the eventual Island protector and, guess what -- he did. We predicted it because that's the path the character was on for all those seasons, and it led him - inexorably (I *liked* The Architect's speech) - to the events in the finale.
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #1435
Figaro
El Caganer

Last night, after several months, I completed re-watching the entire series courtesy of Amazon Prime video. I have to say I enjoyed the series much more this time. I think I am too impatient to watch serials over a long period of time. I remember watching the first two seasons on DVD and loving them ( though I could have done with a fewer Charlies is a drug addict flashbacks), but when we switched to watching it "real time" for season three I felt that the story started to drag.

Watching it straight through though this time I really didn't feel the drag. There were certainly inconsistencies that bugged me but most of them were petty. However I do agree with a lot of the folks here, Rob H, in particular, about the direction season six took. The entire flash sideways thing just felt like a cop out/rip off. I just don't understand what they felt was the allure of that approach. While they had given themselves a lot of plot lines to resolve, I don't feel that they had written themselves into a corner. I just think they got tired and half assed the easy way out.

Season 6 really was like a completely different show. I hope it wasn't just dismissive arrogance of the fanbase. I certainly got that impression from the Mother's line in "Across the Sea" of "Every answer I give will just lead to another question" Jacob and Barry just scream cop out to me with the simplistic lets just make it about good and evil and here you go.

The finale was just, well lame. For me the finale is the end of Season 5. Juliet blowed it all up and everyone was fine. That leaves me with 5 seasons of some very compelling story telling and rightfully ignores the lame ending which was akin to a college kid on an all nighter just trying to wrap up his paper.
-"-"-
Ya RLY!
Figaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 PM   #1436
jamesl

I believe the writers always intended the island to be purgatory and the stories to be stories of redemptions and 2nd chances, who fails and who succeeds

I think that was their plan and they thought they could keep it a secret and make the big reveal in the end, "oh, they were always dead and the island was purgatory"

but fans figured it out before the first season was over

so the writes couldn't say, "yeah, you got us, you figured it out, they all died in the plane crash and the island is purgatory"

they would take away the surprise, the "where is it all leading?"

so the writers denied it and scrambled to come up with an alternate theme/plot

but they could never get it going so they basically made it up as they went
jamesl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:21 AM   #1437
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figaro View Post
Last night, after several months, I completed re-watching the entire series courtesy of Amazon Prime video. I have to say I enjoyed the series much more this time. I think I am too impatient to watch serials over a long period of time. I remember watching the first two seasons on DVD and loving them ( though I could have done with a fewer Charlies is a drug addict flashbacks), but when we switched to watching it "real time" for season three I felt that the story started to drag.

Watching it straight through though this time I really didn't feel the drag. There were certainly inconsistencies that bugged me but most of them were petty. However I do agree with a lot of the folks here, Rob H, in particular, about the direction season six took. The entire flash sideways thing just felt like a cop out/rip off. I just don't understand what they felt was the allure of that approach. While they had given themselves a lot of plot lines to resolve, I don't feel that they had written themselves into a corner. I just think they got tired and half assed the easy way out.

Season 6 really was like a completely different show. I hope it wasn't just dismissive arrogance of the fanbase. I certainly got that impression from the Mother's line in "Across the Sea" of "Every answer I give will just lead to another question" Jacob and Barry just scream cop out to me with the simplistic lets just make it about good and evil and here you go.

The finale was just, well lame. For me the finale is the end of Season 5. Juliet blowed it all up and everyone was fine. That leaves me with 5 seasons of some very compelling story telling and rightfully ignores the lame ending which was akin to a college kid on an all nighter just trying to wrap up his paper.
I think your description of S6 is consistent with what most of us posted here. To me, it felt like a different show, and it completely made S1-5 feel irrelevant and unimportant to the whole scheme of things. That said, in context to the rest of the SEASON, I felt the ending wasn't that bad. In context to the whole series, not so much. I kind of agree, Juliet blowing up, almost makes more sense as the series finale to Lost 1.0 (the first 5 intertwining seasons) and the actual series ender is more like that of Lost 2.0. But it was what it was. There have been few series on TV that lead to true water cooler discussion (outside of these reality series). Lost was almost in a class by itself. While I'm disappointed in the last season, it's still one of my favorite TV shows of all time, and outside of perhaps Fringe, which just ended, the last must see the night of the episode series for me.
Old 02-01-2013, 08:10 AM   #1438
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I think your description of S6 is consistent with what most of us posted here. To me, it felt like a different show, and it completely made S1-5 feel irrelevant and unimportant to the whole scheme of things. That said, in context to the rest of the SEASON, I felt the ending wasn't that bad. In context to the whole series, not so much. I kind of agree, Juliet blowing up, almost makes more sense as the series finale to Lost 1.0 (the first 5 intertwining seasons) and the actual series ender is more like that of Lost 2.0. But it was what it was. There have been few series on TV that lead to true water cooler discussion (outside of these reality series). Lost was almost in a class by itself. While I'm disappointed in the last season, it's still one of my favorite TV shows of all time, and outside of perhaps Fringe, which just ended, the last must see the night of the episode series for me.
You said this almost how I was thinking it.

I will only add that I was disappointed so much in season 6 as I was thinking I had turned on to another show that had the same characters in it. I still enjoyed it and the interplay between all the characters and that's what kept me going and happy. The only reason the end bothered me was because they said for so long it wasn't purgatory, and then it seemed like they caved and made it that so the fans were happy (or could say 'told you so'). The characters were so well written, and acted and interacted that to watch their development over the years was fun. Trying to solved the mysteries was not as important for me which is why I wasn't so bothered by season 6 I think.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:17 AM   #1439
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
You said this almost how I was thinking it.

I will only add that I was disappointed so much in season 6 as I was thinking I had turned on to another show that had the same characters in it. I still enjoyed it and the interplay between all the characters and that's what kept me going and happy. The only reason the end bothered me was because they said for so long it wasn't purgatory, and then it seemed like they caved and made it that so the fans were happy (or could say 'told you so').
But it wasn't purgatory. Everything that happened on the island occurred when the characters were alive. The very end, in the church, happened years later when they were all dead.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 08:21 AM   #1440
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
But it wasn't purgatory. Everything that happened on the island occurred when the characters were alive. The very end, in the church, happened years later when they were all dead.
No, no I know that. I meant at the end. Sorry I wrote it wrong. At the end, it was like they tossed that in at the last minute sort of.