TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #1381
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
I'm sorry to tell you, things are not working out too well on THAT front
I know! I get made fun of at work because of all the TV I watch and there's one guy there that watches almost all the shows I watch so I'm always chatting on our internal chat with him about episodes. heee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
POIDH
I have no idea what that means!
Old 05-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #1382
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
I know! I get made fun of at work because of all the TV I watch and there's one guy there that watches almost all the shows I watch so I'm always chatting on our internal chat with him about episodes. heee

I surmise Pics Or It Didn't Happen.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #1383
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Pictures Or It Didn't Happen.

Yes, we want more pictures of your boobs.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:49 PM   #1384
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateRob View Post
Pictures Or It Didn't Happen.

Yes, we want more pictures of your boobs.
More indicates you have some.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:58 PM   #1385
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
More indicates you have some.
Don't you remember the avatar kerfluffle a few months back?
Old 05-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #1386
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

Quote:
Don't you remember the avatar kerfluffle a few months back?
I do, however, even in the bigger version you cannot see them!
Old 05-23-2012, 05:05 PM   #1387
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

I was just riffing on that when I said "more", since you had guys bending over backwards asking for them back then.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #1388
markb

Quote:
Same interview, different website hosting it.

Kinda makes it hard to take the interviewer seriously when he clearly didn't even understand a good portion of the import of the finale (i.e. he didn't realize that the events on the Island were real).
I stopped watching after a whole minute, because the interviewer was still blabbering on. How long did he go?
markb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #1389
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

It's funny when we talk about rewatches, especially when the TNG rewatch was so successful.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #1390
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Same interview, different website hosting it.

Kinda makes it hard to take the interviewer seriously when he clearly didn't even understand a good portion of the import of the finale (i.e. he didn't realize that the events on the Island were real).
I must admit, I had to pause the video for a minute in order to eyeroll and facepalm when he said that.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #1391
mostman

Oh man. This thread. I went back and read the whole thing. Funny to read stuff you wrote some years ago - isn't it?

Edit: Just realized I've been a member on this community for 12 years. That's pretty cool.

Btw - Lost is still one of my all time favorites. Such a bold show for its time. Still bold when you consider it was on ABC. Now we need to depend on cable channels like AMC, FX, and HBO to provide this quality. Perhaps broadcast really is dead.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 09:34 PM   #1392
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostman View Post
Oh man. This thread. I went back and read the whole thing. Funny to read stuff you wrote some years ago - isn't it?

Edit: Just realized I've been a member on this community for 12 years. That's pretty cool.
The archives are a wonder to behold for us longtime members. I love going through the old posts. The funniest one is when you see a thread bump, don't realize it's a bump and read the first post, then formulate a response in your head... only to find that a couple posts down, you responded to it 3 years ago, and posted the SAME EXACT THING you were just formulating in your head. That's happened to me more than a couple times.

Quote:
Btw - Lost is still one of my all time favorites. Such a bold show for its time. Still bold when you consider it was on ABC. Now we need to depend on cable channels like AMC, FX, and HBO to provide this quality. Perhaps broadcast really is dead.
People were saying broadcast was dead before Lost came around, I think the difference is that with broadcast the good-to-bad ratio is just a lot higher. Cable's had some stinkers, too, I immediately think of Camelot. When it premiered, I absolutely loved it for a couple episodes, but Game of Thrones blew it so much out of the water that I completely lost interest. The quality difference was HUGE.

It was stated earlier, but I'll rephrase: shows like Lost that capture our imaginations and make us talk about it with reverence (or hatred) 3 years after it goes off the air only come around once in a decade.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 05-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #1393
jkeegan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
BTW...it feels good to participate in a Lost thread again

seven syllables
(
)
they explain it all
jkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 06:31 AM   #1394
wprager

I've re-watched it twice with my sons. 10 is way too young. First time I re-watched I started with both of them (14 & 12) and the 12 year-old dropped out after the second episode -- he almost dropped out at the pilot, too intense. When he was 13-1/2 all three of us re-watched it. Couple of days ago I went to youtube looking for that compilation of all the times that Hurley said "Dude" (found a S1-5 one and it went up to something like 268). Followed that up with Sawyer's nicknames and Desmond's "Brotha", then some bloopers and other stuff. Now my wife is almost up for a re-watch. I think all our shows are done for the summer so it's as good a time as any. Well, we still have Doctor Who -- just watched "Blink" last night, so we have a long way to go.

And there's no way I am disappointed with the ending. Could it have been different? For sure. Did it ruin it for me? No way!
wprager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:09 AM   #1395
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

I was planning on rewatching (even bought the Blu Rays) until I realized the ending (not specifically the finale, even though I didn't love it) didn't wrap up all the mysteries like I had hoped. I sold the set.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 07:13 AM   #1396
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
The archives are a wonder to behold for us longtime members. I love going through the old posts. The funniest one is when you see a thread bump, don't realize it's a bump and read the first post, then formulate a response in your head... only to find that a couple posts down, you responded to it 3 years ago, and posted the SAME EXACT THING you were just formulating in your head. That's happened to me more than a couple times.
I do the same thing...but, I've also started taking the opposite side of it as well, and realized the thread was 3 years old, read back what I said before and realized how wrong I was!! That's kind of odd too.

Quote:
People were saying broadcast was dead before Lost came around, I think the difference is that with broadcast the good-to-bad ratio is just a lot higher. Cable's had some stinkers, too, I immediately think of Camelot. When it premiered, I absolutely loved it for a couple episodes, but Game of Thrones blew it so much out of the water that I completely lost interest. The quality difference was HUGE.

It was stated earlier, but I'll rephrase: shows like Lost that capture our imaginations and make us talk about it with reverence (or hatred) 3 years after it goes off the air only come around once in a decade.

Greg
Here's the good and the bad about Lost. The good is, that the show was so compelling that, outside of reality TV like Survivor or Idol, it became the first real water cooler show on network TV since Seinfeld. But the flip side is that EVERY network tried to imitate it and because almost all of those imitations were horribly bad, it killed off serialized TV on the networks as a viable alternative to all the procedurals that are successful now. How many of us now are not willing to give one a chance for fear of it getting canceled once you are knee deep in it? Lost set the standard so high that all of these series are inevitably compared to it.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:16 AM   #1397
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by wprager View Post
I've re-watched it twice with my sons. 10 is way too young. First time I re-watched I started with both of them (14 & 12) and the 12 year-old dropped out after the second episode -- he almost dropped out at the pilot, too intense. When he was 13-1/2 all three of us re-watched it. Couple of days ago I went to youtube looking for that compilation of all the times that Hurley said "Dude" (found a S1-5 one and it went up to something like 268). Followed that up with Sawyer's nicknames and Desmond's "Brotha", then some bloopers and other stuff. Now my wife is almost up for a re-watch. I think all our shows are done for the summer so it's as good a time as any. Well, we still have Doctor Who -- just watched "Blink" last night, so we have a long way to go.

And there's no way I am disappointed with the ending. Could it have been different? For sure. Did it ruin it for me? No way!
The thing with the ending is, it was like having a four course meal of all the foods you love, and are expecting creme brulet for dessert and all you got was a cookie. Well I like cookies, but it was a let down from the fancy dessert I was expecting.

To me the whole last season (from the finale of the season before to the end) was disappointing in the storyline, but the execution of what it was, was excellent.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #1398
philw1776

Quote:
Whoa! Even 2 years later after LOST ended this is the 1st time I found out that LOST (the Island part) was real!

And all this time I thought LOST was fiction. Gotta luv the Internet.
philw1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #1399
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Shambala

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 05-24-2012, 12:43 PM   #1400
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by philw1776 View Post
Whoa! Even 2 years later after LOST ended this is the 1st time I found out that LOST (the Island part) was real!

And all this time I thought LOST was fiction. Gotta luv the Internet.

Don't be obtuse.

The interviewer proclaimed himself to be this devoted fanboy of the show who watched everything and basically held himself out to be "the voice" for everyone who was disappointed with how the show ended, and yet he misunderstood the entire nature of the last season.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #1401
DreadPirateRob
Seriously?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
The thing with the ending is, it was like having a four course meal of all the foods you love, and are expecting creme brulet for dessert and all you got was a cookie. Well I like cookies, but it was a let down from the fancy dessert I was expecting.
I get it, but then again I don't, at least not really, because I think that people like you would have never been satisfied. As Damon Lindelof points out in that interview linked above, one of the very worst scenes from anything ever is when the Architect explains everything in the last Matrix movie. Talk about robbing all of the joy of what was a very cool concept. There was no way to answer all of the mysteries and questions that had been raised by the show, at least not in a way that would have been satisfying dramatically and artistically.

Here's another analogy: ever picked up and took a drink out of a glass of iced tea, but when you took the drink you were expecting it to be Coke? Now, you may love iced tea as much as you love Coke, but at that moment the iced tea is going to taste like the worst Coke in the world... at least until you realize it was never Coke to begin with, and it is in its own right a damned fine glass of iced tea. To me, that's the finale - it may not have been quite what you were expecting it to be, but once that shock/disappointment wears off, you realize that it was never suppposed to be Coke. It was just supposed to be a helluva glass of iced tea.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #1402
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Here's another analogy: ever picked up and took a drink out of a glass of iced tea, but when you took the drink you were expecting it to be Coke?
No, but once I took a drink of what I expected to be Pepsi, only to find out it was Bud Light. That one was pretty weird.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
Old 05-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #1403
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

The problem I had with the ending (and the Lindelof interview kind of confirmed it) is that it had little to do with most of the show. I think he believed that all the stuff with the hatch, the Dharma Initiative, the time traveling, etc., was just unimportant filler. To me, and I think to a lot of people, it was the core of the show. But the ending had nothing to do with any of that. The sixth season could just as easily have been the second season or the third or fourth. Nothing that happened between the first and sixth seasons really mattered in the end. But it sure FELT like it mattered at the time.

To say "we knew how it was going to end all along" on a show like this SHOULD mean a whole lot more than "Jack is lying on the beach, closes his eyes, and dies." If that's all they wanted to do, then they should have tossed out all the, ahem, good stuff, and just made a two-season show about people in Purgatory.
Old 05-24-2012, 01:21 PM   #1404
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
Here's another analogy: ever picked up and took a drink out of a glass of iced tea, but when you took the drink you were expecting it to be Coke?
Great analogy!

Ever seen a nice glass of golden apple juice that got you drooling for a sip, when you remembered that you were at the doctor's office?

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:29 PM   #1405
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by gchance View Post
WHEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:30 PM   #1406
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Oh, and Sawyer is HAWT!!!!!

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:33 PM   #1407
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
The problem I had with the ending (and the Lindelof interview kind of confirmed it) is that it had little to do with most of the show. I think he believed that all the stuff with the hatch, the Dharma Initiative, the time traveling, etc., was just unimportant filler. To me, and I think to a lot of people, it was the core of the show. But the ending had nothing to do with any of that. The sixth season could just as easily have been the second season or the third or fourth. Nothing that happened between the first and sixth seasons really mattered in the end. But it sure FELT like it mattered at the time.

To say "we knew how it was going to end all along" on a show like this SHOULD mean a whole lot more than "Jack is lying on the beach, closes his eyes, and dies." If that's all they wanted to do, then they should have tossed out all the, ahem, good stuff, and just made a two-season show about people in Purgatory.
It's the journey not the destination

MikeMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #1408
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
It's the journey not the destination
But it was a journey on which they kept saying along the way, "Wait until you see the destination! It'll be so cool! We have a GREAT destination in mind, since the beginning!" And then at the end they said, "April Fool! It was just the journey. Got ya!"
Old 05-24-2012, 01:57 PM   #1409
JMikeD

I would have had no problem with the ending save that the writers/producers made several statements early on that all the events would have a rational explanation (unless I misunderstood).

Well, they didn't have a rational explanation.

Mike
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #1410
tivoboyjr
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
But it was a journey on which they kept saying along the way, "Wait until you see the destination! It'll be so cool! We have a GREAT destination in mind, since the beginning!" And then at the end they said, "April Fool! It was just the journey. Got ya!"
That was similar to my complaint. People saying the finale was bad were missing the point. We were told how the ending had been carefully plotted out and there would be some resolution to the many questions that had been raised. Instead, the show went off the rails somewhere around season 5 (and way off in season 6) and there was no good way to wrap it up. The finale was about as good as it could be given that seasons 5 and 6 were kind of a mess. And all of the stuff that seemed to matter so much in the first few seasons didn't matter much at all, as it turns out. The show was really about man-in-black, man-in-white, mommy and the magical cave. And the Lostaways (tm photoshopgrl) weren't in purgatory in the beginning but they were in the end, which is OK because when the producers said "they aren't in purgatory" what they meant was in the beginning of the show and they could put them in purgatory later since no one would think that was a cop-out or anything.
tivoboyjr is offline   Reply With Quote