TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-24-2010, 11:29 AM   #421
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc1 View Post
What I can't figure out is why people that like the ending are so angry at people that didn't. I gave my explanations as to why I didn't like it. If you don't understand, so be it. I didn't like the ending; you did. People have different opinions - that's why we're on this forum, to read about everyone else's opinion. Don't belittle people because they don't agree with you.
I'm not angry. I am honestly just a bit perplexed that some seem miffed that we didn't find out the exact nature of the machinations of the Island, and that the finale focused on showing us what happened to the main characters of the show. I would have been more annoyed had it been the other way around (but happy to have more of both).

Whether it was done right or wrong is another matter, but some of the criticism seems to be not about how it was carried out, but that it didn't deal more in the minutiae of technical explanations.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:31 AM   #422
jeff125va

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorngoddess View Post
And also, why was MIB now permanately stuck in the form of Locke?
I guess since he's dead, he just stayed that way by default. Or I guess it really happened when he became mortal, since it wasn't really a body per se(he had said "I used to have a body") but I guess it became one when he became mortal, and it was just Locke's by default.
jeff125va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #423
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedcouch View Post
I think the writers really copped out, but the way this season was going I knew they'd never be able to wrap it up to my satisfaction.
They could NEVER wrap it up to everyone's satisfaction. It was an impossible task, so I'm guessing they wrapped it up to THEIR satisfaction and hoped others would agree.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:34 AM   #424
BrandonRe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SocratesJohnson View Post
If this is so, why would Kate create another life in which she was a fugitive? And why would Sayid create another life where he was a killer and couldn't be with Nadia?
I don't think they "created" the sideways world in the sense of consciously deciding to continue life as a fugitive, killer, doctor, etc. My take is that upon death, each of our Losties was pulled into this communal experience because they had shared this incredibly meaningful and important series of events. For most (all?) of them, the events which began with the crash of Oceanic 815 were what allowed them to experience freedom, wholeness, wellness, full potential, atonement, etc.

Because this "salvation", if you'll pardon the expression, was a shared experience, the afterlife was also to be entered into in a shared manner. They would share eternity with the people who helped them become whole and healed. Note the importance of the word "help" in the final episode. Nobody is alone. All are in need of other people.
BrandonRe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #425
jeff125va

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
I'd appreciate if someone could fill in one bit which appears to be a lapse in my memory. In previous flashes, we saw that Jack and his son had a very adversarial relationship. Then in recent flashes, it was like jack was the best dad in the world and always had been. I had been thinking that the difference was that the not-good-dad-jack was in the flash forwards and the good-dad-jack was in the flash-sideways. But now that we've been told jack doesn't have a son, then I'm guessing all of those clips were in the FSW clips and I'm just mixed up. So what happened? I remember jack showed up at his son's piano recital and maybe things patched up from there, but I'm not sure how that lead to their best-buddy relationship. Is there something there I'm missing or misremembering?
It all stemmed from the piano recital thing. Jack hadn't even known that his son was still playing or that he was that talented. He had made Juliet promise not to tell Jack because he had felt like Jack made such a big deal out of it. And Jack realized that he was continuing his father's mistake of making his son feel like he didn't want to let his father see him fail. Jack told his son he was sorry for that and promised him that in his eyes, he could never be a failure.
jeff125va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:38 AM   #426
mqpickles

Quote:
Originally Posted by markp99 View Post
Probably the 8-spoked dharma wheel (Tibet):

Uh yeah. That.

Obviously I'm no student of eastern religions.
mqpickles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:44 AM   #427
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

I'm going with the entirely derivative idea that the Pool of Light is actually a plugged-up Hellmouth that keeps the Lovecraftian Great Old Ones like Cthulhu bottled up.
Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:45 AM   #428
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
I'm going with the entirely derivative idea that the Pool of Light is actually a plugged-up Hellmouth that keeps the Lovecraftian Great Old Ones like Cthulhu bottled up.
For some reason Buffy finale came to mind.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #429
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wells View Post
Anyone else thing the apollo bar in the machine was a parallel for the island endgame? That's what I thought jkeegan was talking about earlier, from the episode - "If you unplug it and plug it back in, the candy drops down. And, it's technicall legal."

Pull the power of the island and the rules change - MIB can die.

Love it!
I didn't notice that last night. Sort of cool.

BUT neither Juliet or Sawyer would have known about pulling the plug on the island. So why would either one of them "imagine" that about the candy machine in their made-up world?
Old 05-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #430
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
At this point I feel exactly as I did after seeing the ending of 'Atonement'.... screwed over by being manipulated into becoming emotionally invested in something that never happened.
Isn't that true of pretty much all television?

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:46 AM   #431
wombat94

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS View Post
They could NEVER wrap it up to everyone's satisfaction. It was an impossible task, so I'm guessing they wrapped it up to THEIR satisfaction and hoped others would agree.
Exactly... there was no way to wrap this up to everyone's satisfaction. But I think it is a stretch to say that this was a cop out ending.

Whether or not it was in place and envisioned from the beginning is irrelevant in my mind... I do think that they had this vision for several years - since they had the end-date agreed to by ABC at least.

Given that, their job then became to create a compelling story that worked on an emotional level and (secondarily) on an intellectual level.

Agree or disagree with what they did at the end, I don't think it's a cop out.

The greatest cop out in TV series finale history to me was Tommy Westpahl imagining all of St. Elsewere... take characters that we've loved and cared about for years and make every experience that they went through imaginary and non-existant... that was a cheap, sophomoric, lazy writers trick.

Whatever you want to say about Lost, I don't think that exists in this finale... with the exception of the flash-sideways world, everything that we saw in the 5+ seasons really happened to these characters and their emotions: pain, joy, love, hate, fear, anger, etc. Were real.

If you take my view that what we saw in the flash sideways was Jack's own time in limbo, then the experiences he had in the FSW world are also real emotions as well.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of the story overall and how satisfying it was to them... but I think it is not fair to call what the writers did a "cop-out" just because it didn't resolve things the way you wanted it to.
wombat94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #432
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Okay, so who else was on the edge of their seat when FakeLocke walked up on Rose and Bernard's place and pulled the knife out. I swear I would have turned it off if he had done to Rose what he did to Zoe. (I wasn't mad about that)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #433
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Me Twice View Post
If the light in the center of the island goes out, everyone dies. So, even though MIB was made mortal and powerless, it all ends badly anyway.
The light did go out. Everyone didn't die.
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #434
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr461 View Post
Saw Aaron at the church (still a baby). Do they appear as they did when they died or remembered the island events? What to make of a baby in this scenario.
Aaron appeared as Jack remembered him- as did they all.
This was Jack's ending, Jack's death. Everyone who played an important role in his journey was there to help him pass and/or pass with him.
Those characters who were not there were not integral to Jack's journey, at least in his mind.

IMO the AU wasn't so much purgatory as it was the Reconciliation Room.
I think that Ben staying behind was a representation of some of the characters that were missing- not present in the church, not ready to move-on, not finished reconciling their major life issues.
Either that or their most significant time was not on the island so they have their own people to meet up with in a different room.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:49 AM   #435
Bryanmc
I'm normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Me Twice View Post
What's Charlie looking at?

I thought the episode was fine. I enjoyed the stuff on the island, disappointed with the flash sideways being a purgatory type place.

One thought about this episode:

Seems like Jacob could have been a little more forthcoming with Jack (I know, that's NEVER been a complaint before). Jacob got Desmond back to the island, so we have to assume that Jacob understood what Desmond could do. If he thought Desmond's abilities would only destroy the island, he wouldn't have brought him back.

So, why not just tell Jack, "Desmond needs to pull out the plug in the light tunnel, that will make MIB mortal, you kill him, then Desmond puts the plug back." I know they didn't have a lot of time, but it wouldn't take that long. I just did it right then. No time at all.

Jack could have had a knife at the ready right behind MIB at the top of the waterfall and run him through. No need to figure it out while fighting MIB.
Bryanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #436
uncdrew
Annie 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Wow 346 posts since last night!! I don't have much to say other than the ending was OK and since it was not "linear" I am a little confused.

Jack was not the last to die just the last to "come around" on them being in purgatory? So they needed Desmond "the constant" and Hurley to get everyone to "see" since everyone was dead now and they could move on? I just really want to know who was the last to die. Did Desmond who came back to the Island with Widmore and thrown into the well know that there was a sideways world waiting to be resolved?
It would be quite interesting to see how and when each character died.

You would think Ben and Hurley lasted a long time, but who knows?
uncdrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #437
Graymalkin
Style and Panache

More entirely derivative ideas from the mind of Graymolta...

Sideways is where you go when you don't want to end up in Grandview and have to listen to Melinda Gordon yammer tearfully about "going into the light."

Sideways is actually the Nexus from "Star Trek: Generations" before it broke loose and started wandering through space.

Graymalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #438
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncdrew View Post
The light did go out. Everyone didn't die.
I guess the pilot light stays on a little while. At least until the island sinks.
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:53 AM   #439
stalemate
McGruber

Quote:
I think Hurley probably lived to be 108 years old.

stalemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:54 AM   #440
unicorngoddess
Wooooonicorngodess

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention that was the first thing hubby and I thought about after the end of the finale. It was just like the episode of South Park...

Spoiler:
Where all the celebrities that had died in the past year or so were all waiting for Michael Jackson to accept that his life was over so they could all move on into the afterlife...and what makes that even more ironic is that they were all waiting on a plane. It's as if Matt and Trey KNEW how Lost was gonna end and they were making fun of it ahead of time.

unicorngoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #441
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldworker View Post
To keep Hurley fat. It's as simple as that. The writers realized the same thing that everyone else did in the early episodes - the guy who plays Hurley is fat and he's not going to get thinner, so they needed to explain how he could stay fat living on the island. The solution was to drop jars of peanut butter on the island. So they asked themselves why someone would be dropping peanut butter on the island and they made up the Dharma Initiative.

I'm convinced that the entire series was written using this method. Inadvertently dig a hole and invent a plot device to fill it.
I agree with this actually. By their own admission, a lot of the writers' ideas came up by saying "Wouldn't it be cool if...?", and I think a LOT of the "pre-set-enddate" stuff was made so that the characters could be strung along almost indefinitely.

I don't have a problem with this actually, it's the nature of TV, and I always got the impression that the writers still had an end game in mind. And it was a hell of a ride while it lasted.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:56 AM   #442
unicorngoddess
Wooooonicorngodess

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
BUT neither Juliet or Sawyer would have known about pulling the plug on the island. So why would either one of them "imagine" that about the candy machine in their made-up world?
And it makes me wonder...right before Juliet died, she said there was something important she had to tell Sawyer...but she dies before she can tell him. I always assumed she was going to tell him that their plan actually worked. Now I'm thinking...maybe she was trying to give him the answer. Unplug the magical cork and plug it back in and that fixes the problem.
unicorngoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #443
MickeS

Quote:
It would be quite interesting to see how and when each character died.

I see a "The adventures of Ben and Hurley" spinoff... maybe a video game.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #444
d-dub
Jami's Gameboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RegBarc View Post
Speaking of epic lulz, somone in the massive Lost thread over at Something Awful just got banned for 100,000 hours for posting a spoiler.

Isn't that like 11 and 1/2 years?
It would have been more appropriate if they'd made it 108 days

Now with improved joystick action!
World's Luckiest Guy (TM)

-- David --
d-dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #445
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I loved Frank handing Miles the duct tape.

And it seemed Boone had recalled before Shannon did, how? and if he remembered, then why couldn't he cause shannon to remember?

Old 05-24-2010, 11:57 AM   #446
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

I have to say that last night I thought it was both an amazing episode and I couldn't help to be a little let down. Then after giving it some time and reading stuff here, the ending is growing on me. It seems like the more you think about it, the more satisfying it becomes. At least for me.

Thanks to everybody who is posting their ideas of what the ending is. In some ways, having an ending like this does exactly what individual episodes did was entirely appropriate: it gives the viewers something to discuss and ponder. Make the ending mean what you want it to mean.

Now let's bring on the spinoff, Lost 2: Hurley's Reign
Old 05-24-2010, 11:58 AM   #447
SugarBowl

I sure thought Locke could have pushed jack over the edge of the waterfall into the light, just like jacob did to him.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 11:59 AM   #448
stalemate
McGruber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DancnDude View Post
Lost 2: Hurley's Boogaloo
FYP

stalemate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:01 PM   #449
wombat94

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS View Post
I don't have a problem with this actually, it's the nature of TV, and I always got the impression that the writers still had an end game in mind. And it was a hell of a ride while it lasted.
I agree with this completely.

It's the nature of TV, or comic books, or any serialized form of fiction. You don't have to have an idea of where the end is when you start... I don't see that as necessarily a problem. If it's handled correctly, it can be an asset.

I think it was in the recent Entertainment Weekly article that they said they didn't even have a continuity department on the show in the first year, then when it was a hit, they realized that they had dug themselves in some pretty big holes.

That's fine with me... I don't care if they thought up the ending 6 years ago or 6 weeks ago... it doesn't matter to me if the author of a novel ended up where he or she expected when they started writing the book... as a reader/viewer, all I really care about is whether I feel satisfied with what the final story was... I wouldn't even care if it was just improv.
wombat94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:02 PM   #450
xuxa

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorngoddess View Post
And it makes me wonder...right before Juliet died, she said there was something important she had to tell Sawyer...but she dies before she can tell him. I always assumed she was going to tell him that their plan actually worked. Now I'm thinking...maybe she was trying to give him the answer. Unplug the magical cork and plug it back in and that fixes the problem.

I liked she said "it worked" in that episode when she was dying, which is exactly what she said when the candy machine dropped the the Apollo bar right before she touched Sawyer.
xuxa is offline   Reply With Quote