TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-24-2010, 06:47 AM   #301
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
How many times do we have to say this?
If that's the answer then I just don't get it. I just read the wiki entry for the episode and that didn't help either.

If I just forget about the FSW, things make a bit more sense, but the FSW just confuses the hell out of me. I don't understand why living people are in the FSW when that is supposed to be some afterlife thing. Why are living people there?
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:49 AM   #302
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Interesting that Eloise Widmore knew exactly what was going on. She got what she wanted to -- to have a different relationship with her son, who wasn't a scientist but a musician; and who was never killed by her on the Island.

She didn't want to move on, as she liked that. More importantly, she didn't want her son to move on either.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:49 AM   #303
Vendikarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gai-jin
And why were Michael and his son not in the alternate reality?
Didn't Michael's ghost tell Hugo that he couldn't move on and was stuck on the island? That would explain why he wasn't there. And Walt wasn' there because the island wasn't one of the biggest parts of his life.
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:50 AM   #304
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post

If I just forget about the FSW, things make a bit more sense, but the FSW just confuses the hell out of me. I don't understand why living people are in the FSW when that is supposed to be some afterlife thing. Why are living people there?
The flash sideways is a kind of limbo afterlife where the Losties meet in order to help each other "move on". Since it's outside of time, it doesn't matter when each person died, even if they died hundreds of years apart, they all experience it at the same time. But, they're all dead.
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:52 AM   #305
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendikarr View Post
Didn't Michael's ghost tell Hugo that he couldn't move on and was stuck on the island? That would explain why he wasn't there. And Walt wasn' there because the island wasn't one of the biggest parts of his life.
I like to think that Hurley and Ben together might find a way to help the whispers move on. At least, those who choose to let go. Perhaps with the help of someone special, like Walt. It was not even so much as implied that that would be the case, but it's what I like to think.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:53 AM   #306
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
If that's the answer then I just don't get it. I just read the wiki entry for the episode and that didn't help either.

THEY AREN'T LIVING!!!!

They did 5, 10, 30 or maybe in Hurley's case 1,000 years later.

Time has not meaning there. They all died at different times, but in that place, went back to the reset point.

And once they figured out where they were and what happened, they had memories of their entire life.

Kate says to Jack, "I missed you so much." She may have lived for another 50 years.

Hurley says to Ben, "You were a great #2," and he wasn't calling him a piece of sh-t. Ben says to Hurley, "You were a great #1." They both remembered their time protecting the Island.

So again. Each person -- dead. Each person's time of death -- varies.

I don't know what else to say.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:56 AM   #307
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
Interesting that Eloise Widmore knew exactly what was going on. She got what she wanted to -- to have a different relationship with her son, who wasn't a scientist but a musician; and who was never killed by her on the Island.

She didn't want to move on, as she liked that. More importantly, she didn't want her son to move on either.
Daniel was very close to being awake. I think Charlotte would finish that job. Then Eloise will have to make a choice. I think they'll convince her to let go.

I think Ben stayed behind to help Danielle and Alex along.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:57 AM   #308
Family

I'm in the minority, but I think the ending was more like that Star Trek episode where Picard lived an entire life in seconds. The story was about Jack and his consciousness, but all the Losties had their own predeath experience that together created the society on the island. Each worked out his/her issues... a few examples:

1) Jack - man of science vs man of faith as discussed.
2) I loved how Kate was the one who killed MIB. It resolved her issue with killing her step father.
3) Locke let go.

Jack's change of clothes was irrelevant... it symbolized his change throughout this experience. What was real or what wasn't is open to interpretation, but that crash scene at the end was meant to tell us there were not survivors.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:59 AM   #309
speedcouch
Geekneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc1 View Post
The only thing this ending did is make me feel a little better about how badly Battlestar Galactica ended - because at least it wasn't as bad as this.
I said the exact thing to my husband after the show ended last night!

I think the writers really copped out, but the way this season was going I knew they'd never be able to wrap it up to my satisfaction.

Cheryl
Sony Bravia, 20 inch
HR34-700
HR21-100
Panasonic DMR-E30S
Kenwood VR-7060
DirecTV since Aug 1995
XM since May 2004
speedcouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:08 AM   #310
nyny523
Oy

I think Ben stayed out of the church because the people inside were ready to "move on" and the implication was they were going to heaven.

I'm not sure Ben ever made it to heaven.

I loved the finale. I loved the reunions and the emotion. The best part of the series for me was always the characters - learning about their pasts, their futures and their interactions on the island.

The rest of the stuff - for me - ranged from cool to confusing to downright uninteresting. The people were interesting. Their stories were interesting. What they meant to each other was interesting.

And for those people who felt unsatisfied that all their questions had not been answered - if you have ever lost someone you cared about, you realize that there are always more questions than answers after they are gone. That is the nature of life and death. There are always so many answers you will never, ever get. Because the person is Lost. I think THAT is what the series was really about in the end...
Old 05-24-2010, 07:09 AM   #311
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Me Twice View Post
Where's the LOST survivors support group?
Sign me up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieK View Post
I also liked the fact Jack got 'speared' in the side, and sacrificed himself for the greater good... a definite Jesus reference.
I thought of that when it happened and then thought of the 'last supper' LOST repainting that has been around.

Quote:
She and Ben both made that decision. Question, didn't Ben fear triggering the recall of memories when he touched Alex? She died on the island.

I watched the last 1/2 hour again this morning and am still moved by it. I don't really need to figure it all out. Maybe that's why I can handle it. The characters I have come to know and love for 6 years are gone.

Sayid and Shannon makes sense - Sayid was in love with Nadia but she moved on to someone else. He had this sort of faraway love and never wanted to give her up. Once he reunited with Shannon he remembered what he had found with her on the island. Love from someone that loved him back.

I was sad about Helen not being there for Locke and no one was there for Boone. It would have been amusing to see Vincent there. All in all, I was satisfied.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:10 AM   #312
Carlucci
Hiding The Decline

For those wondering why Jack had a son in the alt-timeline, couldn't it be his way of dealing with his bad relationship with his own father? What better way to reconcile your issues with your dead father than to experience fatherhood yourself, to make the same mistakes your own father made, to have to opportunity to become aware of those mistakes, and then to take positive steps to heal your relationship. This is exactly what Jack did. His son was a means of redemption.

I figured out the alt-timeline wasn't going to be real the moment that Locke said "You don't have a son, Jack."

I loved this show, and the ending.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:10 AM   #313
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
I loved the finale. I loved the reunions and the emotion. The best part of the series for me was always the characters - learning about their pasts, their futures and their interactions on the island.

The rest of the stuff - for me - ranged from cool to confusing to downright uninteresting. The people were interesting. Their stories were interesting. What they meant to each other was interesting.

And for those people who felt unsatisfied that all their questions had not been answered - if you have ever lost someone you cared about, you realize that there are always more questions than answers after they are gone. That is the nature of life and death. There are always so many answers you will never, ever get. Because the person is Lost. I think THAT is what the series was really about in the end...
Great post!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:10 AM   #314
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
I think an interesting question is which of the people who populated the flash sideways were there for real -- dead people who created the place to find each other and need to let go, and which were not really there?

Jack's son David was not really there.

But what about Charles Widmore? Was that really him, or just created by Desmond and Penny and Eloise?

Cindy the flight attendant?
Old 05-24-2010, 07:13 AM   #315
mmilton80
Custom User Title

The ending was not what I was looking for. I wanted answers to all of my lingering questions. What is MIB's name? How did CJ end up on the island to begin with? After watching the ending, I felt like I had been asking for the answer to the Ultimate Question, and the answer I got was 42.

After much reflection (and a bit of sleep), I feel that the finale gave me what I needed. A sense of reassurance. We saw these broken individuals end up on this island to learn that they needed each other. I feel that it was a deeply satisfying ending.

If at first you don't succeed, don't try sky diving. - A Tour Guide
mmilton80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:24 AM   #316
wprager

I have to say that I am very satisfied. I was wondering how they would tie it up and, of course, I didn't expect all the questions to be answered, and all mysteries to be solved. There are probably a few that I wouldn't mind being resolved, but not enough so to gripe about it. Ultimately, it does not matter.

In a short while I'll start re-watching this with my soon-to-be 14 year old. While I think he'll really enjoy the ride, I am saddened to think that he will be really disappointed by the ending.

OK, looking back at that "Call Sheet" for the next-to-last day of shooting that was spoiled a couple of weeks ago, it looks legit in hindsight (I'd been wondering if it was a fake or a red herring planted by the producers). One of the scene descriptions is interesting. I'll spoilerize it since this was *not* in the show (although it was certainly depicted in the show):

Spoiler:
INT CAVERN/STEAM
Jack finds Desmond unconscious; puts rock over hole. [this makes it sound legit]

INT CAVERN/WATER
Jack in Hell; light returns; water starts to trickle.

So is that what they were going for with the red light?
wprager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:24 AM   #317
rlc1
Frakking idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadblock View Post
What exactly is the smoke monster? Do you want molecular diagrams or something? Not a single question answered, really? Did you even watch the show? Keep on hatin.
What's your problem, man? Is it too much to ask for a little bit of explanation? I watched the show - did you? Do you think the major questions were answered in the finale? I didn't - so let's hear your response. A forum is an exchange of ideas. Do you have any ideas of your own besides implying that I'm stupid because I didn't find the answers I was seeking? Something intelligent please, not just another post that basically says that I'm an a-hole because I disagree with you. I mean, gimme a break...it seems like the only hating going on here is the hatred some people have for those of us that didn't like the finale.

Last edited by rlc1 : 05-24-2010 at 07:40 AM. Reason: spelling and content
rlc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:28 AM   #318
MikeMar
Go Pats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfs View Post
A lot of filler in this episode. I have to agree it seems like they made some of this up as it went along or at some point in the middle when they planned the number of episodes left. No way the original story arc had this ending. Too much emphasis was made in the first few seasons on things not nearly so important in the end, e.g.:
1) Walt
2) Darma
3) Libby
4) Pregnancy issues on the island
to name a few.
I am probably BEYOND Smeeking, and smeeking from other threads, but about the pregnancy thing

Isn't it simply just this
You can't conceive and have kids on the island because Jacob or whoever has to BRING the candidates, or the next in line from OUTSIDE the island and NOT conceived and born on the island.

MikeMar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #319
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Listening to the producers' podcasts, they talked about two things from other movies that they hated and wanted to avoid.

1) Midichlorians
2) The Matrix Revolutions -- the scene where the architect explains everything.

Both were lame.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:31 AM   #320
nyny523
Oy

Quote:
What's your problem, man? Is it too much to ask for a little bit of explanation? Let's hear your answer about what the smoke monster really was. No molecular diagrams needed. Just a basic, good storyline that poses problems and mysteries, and then in the end, answers those with some degree of satisfaction for the viewers. Jeez, I mean, gimme a break...it seems like the only hating going on here is the hatred some people have for those of use that didn't like the finale.
The smoke monster was what the Man in Black turned into after he went into the cave.

That's what it was. That is the character. You can accept it or not - that is your choice.

It is a story. A story does not always have explainations or answers. It's a tale. Either you are on-board to accept what the story tells you, or you aren't.

In a way, to me, the people who expected iron-clad answers to all the questions posed are like the Jack's "man of science" character. Not everything in a story can be explained. Some things just ARE. You believe or you don't. Totally your choice. But just because all of your questions weren't answered, doesn't mean it wasn't a good story...
Old 05-24-2010, 07:35 AM   #321
Family

You only need an explanation of the Smoke Monster and other Island occurances if you believe that everything which happened was not a collective predeath experience. If the island was a predeath experience within each individual's conscious then the smoke monster in its quest to get off the island represented going back to what was before the flight.. If the smoke monster won... Jack wouldn't have faith, Kate wouldn't have resolved her stepfather's murder, Locke wouldn't have let go, Sawyer would have remained a con man and so on.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:37 AM   #322
Bernie

Quote:
THEY AREN'T LIVING!!!!

They did 5, 10, 30 or maybe in Hurley's case 1,000 years later.

Time has not meaning there. They all died at different times, but in that place, went back to the reset point.

And once they figured out where they were and what happened, they had memories of their entire life.

Kate says to Jack, "I missed you so much." She may have lived for another 50 years.

Hurley says to Ben, "You were a great #2," and he wasn't calling him a piece of sh-t. Ben says to Hurley, "You were a great #1." They both remembered their time protecting the Island.

So again. Each person -- dead. Each person's time of death -- varies.

I don't know what else to say.
Yes, yes, yes.....excellent summation.
Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:38 AM   #323
wprager

Comparing this to the BSG ending (which I, upon reflection, I do not hate, but did not like, either):

In BSG they "answered" too many questions, which made the finale nearly impossible to write to a satisfactory conclusion. Too many things just did not fit. The writers had painted themselves into a corner.

What Lost did, in comparison, is leave a lot (A LOT) of the mysteries unresolved. And by doing so, then reduced the scope of those mysteries to secondary, insignificant (in the long run) side stories. The ending then could proceed without the burden of having to "fit" all the previously resolved mysteries.
wprager is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:38 AM   #324
Peter000

Quote:
What's your problem, man? Is it too much to ask for a little bit of explanation? Let's hear your answer about what the smoke monster really was.
They answered that. The smoke monster was a pissed-off MIB, post falling into a pool of super-electromagnetic Island energy. The two interacted in such a way that the Smoke monster was created.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:38 AM   #325
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Why was Aaron so important to the others? Because he was the first child born on the island? Why would they kidnap Claire before he was born?

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:40 AM   #326
TheDewAddict
No Mercy

I almost didn't read this thread, I figured everyone would be b*tching about the lack of answers in the finale, but I'm glad I read it to see that most people felt the same way I did: satisfied. When I think of all the hours that Lost has entertained me, not only in watching the episodes but in reading the recaps and theories, and following these threads, I'm grateful for the experience of watching it.

I loved the Charlie/Claire reunion, and was happy to see Hurley become the new guardian, and Ben the new #2. The ending confused me for a bit, but it makes sense now. Farewell Lost, I'll miss you.
TheDewAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:41 AM   #327
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMar View Post
Isn't it simply just this
You can't conceive and have kids on the island because Jacob or whoever has to BRING the candidates, or the next in line from OUTSIDE the island and NOT conceived and born on the island.
No, pregnancy was normal until the Incident. Apparently, the electro-magnetic energy that was released during the Incident screwed things up for pregnant women.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:45 AM   #328
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
This is the way I see the progression of the show.

Imagine you had to drive from New York to Los Angeles. But, you have a year to do it. You can take any route you want, stop as much as you want, do what you want, but in one year, you have to be in L.A.

That's how I see the show. The writers knew where they started, knew where they had to end up, but made up most of it as they went along on the way.
Old 05-24-2010, 07:46 AM   #329
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTigerFan View Post
Why was Aaron so important to the others? Because he was the first child born on the island? Why would they kidnap Claire before he was born?
They kidnapped Clair to give her medicines to help her carry Aaron to term. Because all of the other women who conceived on the island miscarried, and subsequently died. (I think that was revealed by Juliet at one point).

I'm guessing they thought that any baby born on the island would be "special" in some way due to the island's unique properties. They really never spelled out why they wanted Aaron though, AFAIK.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:47 AM   #330
rlc1
Frakking idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyny523 View Post
The smoke monster was what the Man in Black turned into after he went into the cave.

That's what it was. That is the character. You can accept it or not - that is your choice.

It is a story. A story does not always have explainations or answers. It's a tale. Either you are on-board to accept what the story tells you, or you aren't.

In a way, to me, the people who expected iron-clad answers to all the questions posed are like the Jack's "man of science" character. Not everything in a story can be explained. Some things just ARE. You believe or you don't. Totally your choice. But just because all of your questions weren't answered, doesn't mean it wasn't a good story...
Thank you for posting a reasoned response - unlike some others here who choose to insult others that don't agree with them. However, I disagree with the statement that when all your questions aren't answered, it's still a good story. Okay, maybe it would be ok if they didn't answer absolutely everything. But when the main part of the story becomes the battle between Jacob and the Man In Black, good writers should at least have some explanation for that part of the story. To say that a story doesn't always have explanations or answers seems like a cop-out. A good story does have some answers at the end.

As for the Man In Black, I would have liked to have found out exactly what would have happened to everyone if he had escaped from the island. Supposedly it would have been very bad for the world (everyone would have died?) if he escaped. And for a while, MIB's tactic was to kill all of the candidates so he could escape the island. So for a while I thought, well, he's some creature filled with evil and special powers (smoke monster and all that), and if he escapes he'll wreak havoc on the world. But after he turned off the light on the island, he was clearly just a regular person because he could be hurt and killed, just like a regular person. So what kind of bad thing would have happened if he escaped? Just sayin'....
rlc1 is offline   Reply With Quote