TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-24-2010, 03:18 AM   #271
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

I'm leaning toward not liking the ending, or the flash sideways, or season six as a whole, which is very difficult for me. Maybe I'm just tired and need to approach it with a fresh mind. I've been struggling with the ending for a few hours now, and I'm feeling worse and worse. Honestly, I feel something like grief, which is odd since it was meant to be a happy ending. Perhaps it's tied to losing the show. I don't really know. Where's the LOST survivors support group?
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:26 AM   #272
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikedavis View Post
Wow. They really resorted to some religious BS "afterlife" nonsense? What a letdown.
Have you read or attended a performance of "Our Town"? Not to put these guys on that level, but they _are_ very good. The artiface of an afterlife (and a Purgatory and even a Magic Island) are not what the author is talking about, but simply a dramatic device to establish a place from which to comment.

If there _is_ anything here beyond just a few clever people creating a very effective put-on, it begins and ends with Jack. Kimmel I think may turn out to have it kinda right (but again I don't really think there IS anything here).

Jack (in my hypothetical view of Lost as a legitimate piece of work), strung out by having lived a life and having had experiences that would have reduced Job to a quivering mass of jelly, has, at a point of extreme physical trauma, images and threads of imaginary events (a lot of them based on faces he has recently seen: fellow passengers) flash through his brain in an instant, in an effort to provide some meaningful resolution to his life. He succeeds.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:35 AM   #273
spikedavis

I'm pasting this that another guy at AICN wrote-he sums up how I feel perfectly:

...the characters and not the plot. Over its length this was one of the most plot heavy shows ever made, with virtually every character beat used primarily to illustrate a plot point, but okay, I'll accept that.
But even if that was the case almost every character in the show was given short shrift in season six and most especially in the finale. In season six Sawyer was reduced to a cipher, Locke was no longer Locke, Jin and Sun were starved for screen time and Kate was essentially reduced to a one-note character, that note being to reunite Claire and Aaron. Two episodes were absolutely devoted to the "unimportant and incidental" plot, Ab and Sea, which didn't include the characters we have been following at all. Only Jack and Ben were allowed any significant character development in the season. And the finale ignored further character development almost completely, shuffling all of the remaining characters around like chess pieces except for Jack while the flash sideways played nothing but a victory lap clips package while making sure every couple and significant pairing had a re-meet cute that relied completely on replaying effective original moments from the show's run.

You know, I'll watch Lost again, there was some awful good stuff this last six years, but no, this was not good.
spikedavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:38 AM   #274
Roadblock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
So basically, when I die, I'll have to live in a sideways reality until everybody important to me has died as well? And only then do we go into the light? Sheesh.
Well, your story probably doesn't include crash-landing on The Island, so no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc1 View Post
Awful - just awful. Not a single question answered in this episode.

What exactly is the smoke monster?
What exactly is the smoke monster? Do you want molecular diagrams or something? Not a single question answered, really? Did you even watch the show? Keep on hatin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zync View Post
I disagree here. If you go back to the first few seasons, which I'd admit was before the characters were developed, the island WAS the story. Everything that we loved about lost was wrapped up in the island's story. Then, over time, the characters became well developed and their stories took focus. But that doesn't mean that the island's story, or the need to tell it, went away.
C'mon, the first season was more about the characters than the island's story. Without these characters, people would not have cared about the island. I too was disappointed in a lot of where this last season went, but I thought this last episode was awesome. It was about finishing the story for our characters in an epic way, and I was satisfied. I didn't really agree with some minor things, like Sayid and Shannon together, but I can live with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Dancing View Post
Yes. Jack came out of the jungle toward the beach after waking immediately after the crash and then laid down and died, that is how the story ends. In the pilot he comes out of the jungle thinking he is alive and starts saving dead people and that is how the story begins.

It was sad when they showed the real wreckage and there were no survivors.

The Island was a purgatory were the dead from many different crashes and wrecks over the years tried to figure out what the heck was going on. The light was what your supposed to go in when you die. They did not know they were dead and that is why they were so interested in the light and energy. That is all I can explain for now. Bedtime.

I'll miss Lost. Best network drama ever.
Worst post of the thread, really. How embarrassing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Wolves View Post
I loved the finale -- maybe the best 2.5 hours of TV I've ever seen. But then again Lost is my favorite show of all time (so far).

That said, I do have some disappointment about how much of the show ended up being irrelevant or misleading.

But frankly, after 6 years, that was the essence of Lost for me -- fantastic storytelling, great emotion, and lots of interesting mysteries, some of which were important, some of which were irrelevant. But the show always kept me coming back for more.

It was a great ride, and I'm glad I was around to see it. Supposedly the DVDs and Blu-Rays will have an additional 20 minutes of finale footage. I might as well order my copy now....
I agree completely, but you said it better than I could, so I'll just +1 you, thanks.
Roadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 03:47 AM   #275
Polcamilla
Still up here...

TC CLUB MEMBER
I felt the ending was very similar to the ending of the Chronicles of Narnia.

Aside from that, was there ever a point to the Tailies except to reunite Rose and her husband?

Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - video card failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - hard drive failure
Philips 60 hr. Series 1 - misreporting drive space, exchanged approved, REVIVED!! (Thank you,TiVoCommunity!), fried modem
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - loose screw and noisy fan
TiVo 80 hr. Series 2 - returned because it was too noisy for a bedroom

....and still part of the
TiVolution!
Polcamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:21 AM   #276
SusieK

The Christian Connection

The whole Christian, Jesus, Shepherd, reference didn't really hit me until Kate repeated Christian Shepherd's name sarcastically to Desmond, while their car was parked in front of the church as the coffin was being delivered (and I heard it coming through her bystander point of view)... I can't believe it took me only 6 years to make that connection!?!

I also liked the fact Jack got 'speared' in the side, and sacrificed himself for the greater good... a definite Jesus reference.
SusieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:24 AM   #277
Peter000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polcamilla View Post

Aside from that, was there ever a point to the Tailies except to reunite Rose and her husband?
Libby was in the Tailie group as well. Who sparked Hugo's memories.

But really, I think that real life interfered with some of those stories. They wrote Eko out because the actor playing him hated the shooting conditions and wanted out. They wrote Ana Lucia out because she was getting drunk and arrested in her off time, and it was interfering with her work.

Those two might have had bigger roles in the show otherwise.
Peter000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 04:26 AM   #278
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
was there ever a point to the Tailies except to reunite Rose and her husband?
The tailies were also faces/life story fragments Jack encountered proximate to the crash. They, along with significant philosopher/author names from his reading over the years, needed to be worked into his final fantasy. We as viewers tried to find "Lost-author" logic. But Jack, as he invented new characters, simply applied names as seemed appropriate to _him_ in that instant.

What do we know about Jack? I think we can take the Pilot pre-crash, and his back-story incidents, at face value. He is a man of science. Cause & effect. He needs to fix things, to make them fit, to enforce resolution. All the raw material running through his brain at the point of trauma needed to be reconciled to make his life/death meaningful to him.

In this view (which I really don't believe) the authors' main regret coming out is they simply didn't know from the beginning all the specific actors that would turn out to be significant. Else they all would have been glimpsed as passengers or explicitly in Jack's back-stories (e.g. Desmond, who also suggested the "next life" theme and "seeing him again" I believe, and agin I think we can take this as truth). Though as I think on it, many characters did get inserted in Jack's backstories further in, didn't they. Maybe all of them; I don't think so, but an interesting exercise.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:32 AM   #279
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
Yes, it does seem somewhat like that, as I remember it.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:54 AM   #280
Delta13
Missed left turn

I'm like several others - I need time to digest the last 15 minutes or so. Certainly it wasn't the train wreck some feared it might be, but I can't vote it the best finale show evar yet either. Visually, the show has no equals. Staging a shot, reminding you of previous sequences years ago, dynamic perspectives - all great. The writing ... not as pretty sometimes.

The funniest part for me was the beginning. There's a 2 hour retrospective going over everything that has happened on Lost, and immediately following that what starts the actual show? "Previously, on Lost ..."

I could tell you what's happening, but I don't know if it would really tell you what's happening.
Delta13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:08 AM   #281
rlc1
Frakking idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeS View Post
Seriously? Did you also come away from "The Phantom menace" upset that Lucas didn't delve more into exactly HOW the Midichlorians communicated with the Force? And why didn't he explain WHAT the Force is? And in "Raiders of the Lost ark", I can't believe there wasn't an explanation exactly of HOW God knew to kill Nazis and WHY it was enough to close your eyes to escape death?

As for the stuff about the characters, see my previous paragraph. If you didn't care about what happened to these characters, I can't figure out why you watched the show.
What I can't figure out is why people that like the ending are so angry at people that didn't. I gave my explanations as to why I didn't like it. If you don't understand, so be it. I didn't like the ending; you did. People have different opinions - that's why we're on this forum, to read about everyone else's opinion. Don't belittle people because they don't agree with you.
rlc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:22 AM   #282
Rinkdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdazzo7 View Post
Are you guys serious? It didn't mean the whole show was fake/purgatory, it means the sideways stuff this year was... they all died at different times and lived in the sideways world until the last one finally passed, and then they all reemembered and could move on. It has absolutely nothing to do with the island being fake/purgatory/a dream/etc.
What do yo make of the last scene showing the plane crash and no sign of survivors? More muddles b.s. with no explanation because they don't have one. I am really irked. After I think about it for a week I may change my opinion but right now I just feel like they didn't explain and they intentionally mislead us. Why show the island sunk as the first scene of the season?
Rinkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:37 AM   #283
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkdog View Post
Why show the island sunk as the first scene of the season?
Trying as hard as I can, because in this branch of Jack's final fantasy (creating a Purgatory), the Island was not a factor, i.e. Jacob had never touched all those lives, and the Others had never visited off-island to cause bus accidents, etc. The major characters just played out their lives 'til they came to the same place. It's very neat, if intended, but admittedly, it's a bit of a stretch.

Personally, I kinda enjoyed the whole series on a "they're fracking with us" level and I never demanded any logic beyond that the authors were saying "hey, that would be cool; let's do that." And doing it well.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:08 AM   #284
SeanC
ECT

Is there a post somewhere in this thread that breaks down what happened at the end, cuz I sure don't know.
SeanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:14 AM   #285
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Wow, 283 posts! I had to sleep on it before I said anything, and now you all are turning me into Smeek because no way can I keep up with all this!

I think the ending emotionally was profoundly satisfying, and intellectually was profoundly unsatisfying. All those moments of awakening were great, and really well-done. But in the end, the whole sidewaysverse seems like just a pretty flimsy excuse to have all those great moments of awakening. I couldn't even tell (and here I may be smeeking) if it was really a communal experience for the dead people (and how on Earth does that make any sense? Why would they go to that moment, a moment that never happened, a moment that the version of which that did happen many of them never participated in in the first place?); the way they presented it, it felt more like Jack's dying hallucination. The entire sidewaysverse was just Jack lying in the jungle fantasizing about what might have been and resolving his issues.

Still, a lot of truly powerful moments. I just wish they'd done more to earn them intellectually, instead of just emotionally. Yes, Lost was primarily about the characters, but that doesn't mean you can ignore the story completely, and I feel like with the sidewaysverse, that's exactly what they did.

Which is me harping on the negative. Still, one of the very best shows ever, with an ending that was almost but not quite worthy of it!
Old 05-24-2010, 06:16 AM   #286
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I think the ending emotionally was profoundly satisfying, and intellectually was profoundly unsatisfying. All those moments of awakening were great, and really well-done. But in the end, the whole sidewaysverse seems like just a pretty flimsy excuse to have all those great moments of awakening. I couldn't even tell (and here I may be smeeking) if it was really a communal experience for the dead people (and how on Earth does that make any sense? Why would they go to that moment, a moment that never happened, a moment that the version of which that did happen many of them never participated in in the first place?); the way they presented it, it felt more like Jack's dying hallucination. The entire sidewaysverse was just Jack lying in the jungle fantasizing about what might have been and resolving his issues.

Still, a lot of truly powerful moments. I just wish they'd done more to earn them intellectually, instead of just emotionally. Yes, Lost was primarily about the characters, but that doesn't mean you can ignore the story completely, and I feel like with the sidewaysverse, that's exactly what they did.

Which is me harping on the negative. Still, one of the very best shows ever, with an ending that was almost but not quite worthy of it!
Yeah, this!
Old 05-24-2010, 06:18 AM   #287
SeanC
ECT

Ok, I guess this is the big question that I have at the moment; Where did life and the real universe end and the dream universe begin?
Old 05-24-2010, 06:19 AM   #288
cheesesteak
Meh.

So what happened on Craphole Island actually happened? The alt-Ocean's 11 plot was them all meeting after their various deaths and walking into the light together?

Minor nitpicks:
- How'd they get that big ass tree off of Linus? He was spry afterwards for having a tree fall on him.
- Kate was pretty athletic for being shot a couple of hours previously
- I thought it funny that Faraday performed with Driveshaft with no apparent practice.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:21 AM   #289
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanC View Post
Ok, I guess this is the big question for me that I have at the moment; Where did life and the real universe end and the dream universe begin?
The sideways world is atemporal, so it doesn't really begin or end. It's just a place the characters met after death to help each other move on. Everything on the island, and all the flashbacks and flashforwards were real.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:21 AM   #290
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Ok, I guess this is the big question that I have at the moment; Where did life and the real universe end and the dream universe begin?
The universe didn't end. When each person died, they became part of the flash sideways, where time has no meaning, so they can all start it at the same time.

Everything not on the flash sideways was real.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:24 AM   #291
SeanC
ECT

But.... but.... there were people who weren't dead who were in the FSW? So if you weren't dead you existed in both?
Old 05-24-2010, 06:27 AM   #292
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
But.... but.... there were people who weren't dead who were in the FSW? So if you weren't dead you existed in both?
You only went there when you died, whenever that was. It existed outside of time.

Unless it was just Jack's dying fantasy.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:28 AM   #293
Cearbhaill
Hoop diddy diddy

At this point I feel exactly as I did after seeing the ending of 'Atonement'.... screwed over by being manipulated into becoming emotionally invested in something that never happened.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:29 AM   #294
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cearbhaill View Post
At this point I feel exactly as I did after seeing the ending of 'Atonement'.... screwed over by being manipulated into becoming emotionally invested in something that never happened.
It all happened.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:29 AM   #295
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
You only went there when you died, whenever that was. It existed outside of time.
So why was Hurley there?

Quote:
Unless it was just Jack's dying fantasy.
Was it?
Old 05-24-2010, 06:29 AM   #296
cheesesteak
Meh.

I thought the finale was two hours. I was thinking they'd better wrap this sucker up quick at about the 1:50 mark.

I wish I hadn't watched it live. Commercial breaks seemingly every 10 minutes took me out of the story sometimes.

I liked most things. Didn't like some things. No point in being pissed at the things that weren't explained or this season's mythology. I enjoyed the vast majority of Lost.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:31 AM   #297
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
They were dead. The same way your great great great great grandchildren are dead. Because everyone dies sometime. It's just that time has no meaning there.

Weren't you listening to Christian?
Old 05-24-2010, 06:35 AM   #298
cheesesteak
Meh.

When Jack walked into the church, there was a back view of an angel statue. I immediately thought of Doctor Who's Weeping Angels and thought "Wouldn't it be cool if..."

Old 05-24-2010, 06:38 AM   #299
SeanC
ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
They were dead. The same way your great great great great grandchildren are dead. Because everyone dies sometime. It's just that time has no meaning there.
Dead from when? From what? So they were all dead from whenever, there was no plane ride, and these people just met in a dream someplace?

Quote:
Weren't you listening to Christian?
Yeah, just the one time last night, right before I had to go to bed, I'll watch it again when I get home.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:41 AM   #300
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Dead from when? From what? So they were all dead from whenever, there was no plane ride, and these people just met in a dream someplace?

Yeah, just the one time last night, right before I had to go to bed, I'll watch it again when I get home.
Each person died at different times. Some before Jack, some long after. Every single thing not in the flash sideways happened, and everything in the flash sideways was after each individual person died at different times.

How many times do we have to say this?