TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-22-2016, 08:58 PM   #1
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Game of Thrones 5/22/16 "The Door"

Well, dang! Bran sure messed up Hodor's life real good, didn't he?

I guess Hodor really did have only one thought on his mind...

Old 05-22-2016, 09:05 PM   #2
SoupMan

Another wolf gets slaughtered.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:19 PM   #3
pendragn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Well, dang! Bran sure messed up Hodor's life real good, didn't he?

I guess Hodor really did have only one thought on his mind...
That scene legitimately brought a tear to my eye. Damn.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pendragn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:27 PM   #4
photoshopgrl
Nerd Fashionista

I'm so angry. Why did Summer have to go. That's two in a row. I didn't need to see that. Now we have only Ghost and Nymeria running out there somewhere maybe.

And Hodor ....... I'm just..... I don't have anything to say other than that sucked. I want a redo.

I'm going to bed angry, I'll make another post tomorrow from work once I've thought more on this episode.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:30 PM   #5
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

I'll re-watch eventually, but what did Sansa "not say" that Brienne called her on?

gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:31 PM   #6
SoupMan

I think it was that she learned about Uncle Blackfish and his army at Riverrun from Little Finger, not from her time with Ramsay. I need a re-watch to be sure, but that was my first thought.

Old 05-22-2016, 09:33 PM   #7
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupMan View Post
I think it was that she learned about Uncle Blackfish and his army at Riverrun from Little Finger, not from her time with Ramsay. I need a re-watch to be sure, but that was my first thought.
Oh right! Thanks! Why on earth would she protect Baelish at this point?

gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 09:36 PM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
Oh right! Thanks! Why on earth would she protect Baelish at this point?
Protecting him, or not giving him credit?

Old 05-22-2016, 09:52 PM   #9
JFriday
"Just The Facts"

Man this season has been great. Seems like every episode has a wow moment.

JFriday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:03 PM   #10
Tracy
Truly

Hodor.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:06 PM   #11
TonyD79

'Ho' D'Door is his formal name.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:29 PM   #12
MacThor
Not Pictured

She also didn't tell Jon that the banners of the Vale are willing to enter the fray.

MacThor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:34 PM   #13
astrohip

When Meera, Hodor & Bran were escaping down the tunnel, I kept expecting the Frozen Donkey Wheel to be around the next bend.

Old 05-22-2016, 10:46 PM   #14
john4200

So Bran did not get to see the end of the flashback at the Tower of Joy. I wonder if he can have visions of his own now, without the old man in the tree.

john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 10:59 PM   #15
BitbyBlit

When Meera was trying to wake Bran up, and telling him that he needed to control Hodor, I was hoping he would somehow be able to link future Hodor's mind to past Hodor's mind in order to restore it, thus allowing Hodor to act independently while Bran was finishing his conversion. But unfortunately exactly the opposite happened. I'm not sure if he was attempting to do what I thought he might or he just accidentally warged the wrong Hodor.

I suppose the silver lining in all of this is the knowledge that Bran can influence the past. Perhaps he will plant and has planted seeds throughout time in order to slowly turn the tide in The War. Was what happened between Ned and his sister one of those times? On the other hand, he might be too scared of trying due to what happened with Hodor.

So the White Walkers were created with dragon glass, probably specifically to fight dragons brought by humans. The question is, did the Children create dragons to fight humans, and then the humans turned the dragons against them, or did the dragons come from Essos, having already been tamed (or even created) by humans, specifically to fight the Children?

Quote:
Protecting him, or not giving him credit?
That's what I'm thinking. She doesn't want Jon (or anyone else) to know about her connection with him. It could make her look weak (having been manipulated by him) or untrustworthy (having been in league with him). I'm not sure how she's explained having fled King's Landing though, or if anyone has even asked. I guess she could have said it was the Boltons who arranged the whole thing.

Unfortunately, keeping Petyr out of the picture could be her undoing. I wonder if he was counting on her not trusting a raven to get in touch with the Blackfish, and sending Brienne instead. Was what he said true, or is Brienne walking into a trap? Perhaps both, if his goal was to intercept her on her way. He stops her, leaks information to Ramsay about the Blackfish and his army's whereabouts, and a potential alliance with Jon, then Ramsay's army takes them out.

So then Ramsay's army is weakened, but Jon has lost a key ally. Oh look, here comes the Vale to the rescue, and all thanks to Petyr. The question is, will he demand Sansa's hand in marriage in exchange for that, or betray Jon at a point when both his and Ramsay's armies are the most vulnerable?

If the former, then I think she would clearly beat Margaery in the category of "worst luck with marriage". She might have already beaten Margaery with Ramsay vs. Joffrey, especially given that Margaery didn't have to suffer through much of hers. Plus, there's also the fact that Margaery was actively seeking out those marriages for her own selfish reasons, while Sansa was forced into one, and manipulated into another. But a marriage to Petyr would make her undoubtedly the winner.

Last edited by BitbyBlit; 05-22-2016 at 11:11 PM.
BitbyBlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 11:09 PM   #16
BitbyBlit

Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
So Bran did not get to see the end of the flashback at the Tower of Joy. I wonder if he can have visions of his own now, without the old man in the tree.
I think so. The old man knew that his home had been compromised, but at the same time told Bran that Bran would become him. If that particular tree was needed, it would have been useless to do anything. Plus, Bran was still in the vision while disconnected from the tree.

I'm not sure if he can see any new visions right now, though, or will need to grow/become a tree in order to do so. If the latter, then he just needs to remember: location, location, location.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:35 PM   #17
BitbyBlit

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoshopgrl View Post
Now we have only Ghost and Nymeria running out there somewhere maybe.
Speaking of the wolves, if Bran is afraid to control humans across time, perhaps he could control animals. Was he the one who sent mama direwolf down south for the Starks to find her cubs?

If so, then there's hope for Nymeria. Perhaps he's been warging into her to keep her safe. It would be poetic justice if she turned the tide of the battle between Jon and Ramsay by jumping in, and ripping Ramsay to shreds. Although I suppose that honor could also go to Ghost. Maybe both of them, tag teaming.

Old 05-22-2016, 11:53 PM   #18
DavidTigerFan
Transporter Accident

Dot

Xbox Live: DTigerFan
DavidTigerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 05:07 AM   #19
Robin
#DistractinglySexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacThor View Post
She also didn't tell Jon that the banners of the Vale are willing to enter the fray.
Because she didn't want to argue about it. Jon would have accepted their assistance.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:18 AM   #20
MacThor
Not Pictured

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
Because she didn't want to argue about it. Jon would have accepted their assistance.
I was responding to the question about Sansa's lies to Jon.

Old 05-23-2016, 05:25 AM   #21
MacThor
Not Pictured

What if the magic keeping the white walkers out of the cave is the same "spell" as the one on the Wall?

Has Bran inadvertently given them access to the Seven Kingdoms?

Old 05-23-2016, 05:51 AM   #22
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
What if the magic keeping the white walkers out of the cave is the same "spell" as the one on the Wall?

Has Bran inadvertently given them access to the Seven Kingdoms?
All Bran did was "tell" them where the cave was. They got in on their own.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:06 AM   #23
MacThor
Not Pictured

Quote:
They made a specific point of showing the wights disintegrate upon entering the cave in the "Previously On" segment. I'll have to rewatch but I think Meera or Bran even said "they can't get in" and the 3 eyed Raven said "They can now."

The wights were held back by the fire but got into the cave without disintegrating.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:10 AM   #24
ct1

Quote:
Bran asked Raven if they could get in and (after Bran let one touch him and got the mark on his arm) said "They can now."

It seemed to me that they could not get to the Raven (could not get in the cave) before that event.

ct1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:40 AM   #25
Robin
#DistractinglySexy

Quote:
I was responding to the question about Sansa's lies to Jon.
Right. I was agreeing with you and expanding on what you said.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:53 AM   #26
cheesesteak
Meh.

What a great episode. I felt bad for both Wyllis and Hodor.

I thought it was kind of funny how fickle the Greyjoy crowd people were. They cheered every person who was nominated for the throne. They'd probably have chosen PeeWee Herman if he would have showed up last. They also really need to step up their crown game. What was that thing, a bunch of bones?

I didn't read the books. The direwolves are such minor characters in the tv show that it barely registers with me when they're killed.

The play made me laugh. It was the highlight of the time the show has spent in Braavos this season. I hate to say this because I love the character but the Arya subplot is kinda boring. I'm also tired of seeing her get her ass handed to her by the waif every week. She needs the Braavos version of Bruce Lee to teach her some things.

Sansa has really matured this season. I think she should have accepted Littlefinger's offer though.

"I handcuffed lightning and threw thunder in jail." - Muhammed Ali
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 06:54 AM   #27
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

That was the worst kind of sad.

I wish Hodor had become himself at the end and said "Hold the Door". That would have been a really nice touch.

Loved the Blackfish character and very glad he might be back!

Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 07:45 AM   #28
secondclaw

So, Bran saw the army of wights facing a tree, was that the actual tree he was hiding out in? Didn't look like it, but when wights and walkers appeared they stood by his tree in a similar manner (though not exactly the same). Did he see the future and connected it to present in a similar way he connected past and present with Wyllis? Or did he see the present, and Wight army was simply nearby staring at another tree?

Also why would Raven take Bran into the past, to show him Wyllis, unless he knew what was about to happen. It seems like he wanted Bran to realize that he can impact the past.
And when Bran touched the roots and saw the wights, what / who decided that this is what he was to see?

secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 08:04 AM   #29
SoupMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post

I didn't read the books. The direwolves are such minor characters in the tv show that it barely registers with me when they're killed.
For me at least, it's mostly just being a crazy dog/animal person. But as far as the story goes, it's just another in the long series of trauma and gut punches inflicted on the Starks in this story.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:05 AM   #30
jdfs
Unspecial Member

I agree, the Arya storyline is the worst part of the show. It better have some giant payoff in the end. I loath every second when she comes on screen since she has been in Braavos.

HDR112 196 hrs - Retired
Tivo Premier with Extender
Tivo Premier #2
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini
jdfs is offline   Reply With Quote