TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-26-2015, 10:35 PM   #1
rahnbo

Coach is set to return

http://www.tvguide.com/news/nbc-orde...s=breakingnews

Between this and the X-Files is gonna be looking more like the 90's. I liked Coach but I hope they modernize it some. No laugh tracks at least.

rahnbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:38 PM   #2
mattack

Beat me to it, I was about to post this, after finding it after going to imdb and seeing it there.

I know people are going to complain, but I think it COULD be a good idea. I liked this show a lot, and I am *generally* a sports hater (I watch tons of various Olympics coverage, but except for a VERY few sporadic things otherwise, that's it).

mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 10:41 PM   #3
mattack

> sources indicate it's unlikely that any other original castmembers will return

Woah, I take back a lot of my enthusiasm!!!

Though generally I don't like dopey characters, Jerry Van Dyke & Faggerbakke need to return!

Old 03-26-2015, 10:43 PM   #4
rahnbo

I recently saw Jerry Van Dyke on The Middle and he looked like he could keel over at any time. He could have been acting but he looked fairly rough. Guess we'll see how it turns out.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:57 PM   #5
Agatha Mystery

My sister met Jerry Van Dyke once. She said he was actually pretty funny in person. She spent Christmas with him and his family, playing volleyball on the beach in Acapulco.

Agatha Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:19 AM   #6
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agatha Mystery View Post
My sister met Jerry Van Dyke once. She said he was actually pretty funny in person. She spent Christmas with him and his family, playing volleyball on the beach in Acapulco.
We used to see Jerry and his wife around here all the time. Would have been late 90s or so. They had a theater/soda shoppe in Benton. They shopped at the small pet store by my apartment. Very sweet people, but his wife's bird did not like men!

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #7
VegasVic
Craps Player

Hopefully Van Dyke can do a couple of appearances anyway, I've always liked him.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #8
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
> sources indicate it's unlikely that any other original castmembers will return

Woah, I take back a lot of my enthusiasm!!!

Though generally I don't like dopey characters, Jerry Van Dyke & Faggerbakke need to return!
Just read that 13 episodes will be greenlit and Craig T. Nelson will be reprising his role. Show will be about his son taking on a coaching job at an ivy league school and Nelson coming on as an assistant coach.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:13 AM   #9
Gunnyman
Just a boring dude

It won't be as good as 'Pucks"

Old 03-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #10
lambertman
Sorry, Ladies!

I'm thrilled, pending Dauber.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at NineStar Connect
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:53 AM   #11
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I never watched Coach, but was it really that popular when it was on? Popular enough to warrant a comeback?

Old 03-27-2015, 12:02 PM   #12
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I watched the original show, but I think I only watched it in syndication. I couldn't tell you what a single episode was about. I just remember the 2 dopie coaches, that others have mentioned above.

I would give the new show a try.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:06 PM   #13
2004raptor
time to emancipate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I never watched Coach, but was it really that popular when it was on? Popular enough to warrant a comeback?
I remember it but can't recall much about it. It did run for ~9 seasons IIRC.

2004raptor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #14
rahnbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0096560/awards?ref_=tt_awd

It got 9 seasons and numerous awards. I did like the show and watched many of them. I also think Craig T. Nelson's resurgence in Parenthood most likely got the wheels rolling for this to happen. The whole time I was forced to watch Parenthood with my wife I kept wishing I were watching Coach instead..

It probably didn't help that Coach was essentially competing at times with actual football.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coach_(...vision_ratings

Old 03-27-2015, 12:24 PM   #15
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClutchBrake View Post
Just read that 13 episodes will be greenlit and Craig T. Nelson will be reprising his role. Show will be about his son taking on a coaching job at an ivy league school and Nelson coming on as an assistant coach.
Wouldn't it be better if his son was coaching the Minnesota State Screaming Eagles?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:29 PM   #16
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I remember Hayden Fox having daughter, but not a son.

scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 01:35 PM   #17
JohnB1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
I remember Hayden Fox having daughter, but not a son.
From the WikiLords

At the end of season 7, Hayden is offered a job with a fictional NFL expansion team called the "Orlando Breakers". Hayden agrees and takes his coaching staff with him for the final two seasons. The Foxes adopted a baby boy named Timothy (played by twins Brennan and Brian Felker). Many season 9 episodes focused on the couple's newfound joy of parenthood, as they had been unable to conceive a child together before they decided to adopt.

Old 03-27-2015, 02:53 PM   #18
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
From the WikiLords

At the end of season 7, Hayden is offered a job with a fictional NFL expansion team called the "Orlando Breakers". Hayden agrees and takes his coaching staff with him for the final two seasons. The Foxes adopted a baby boy named Timothy (played by twins Brennan and Brian Felker). Many season 9 episodes focused on the couple's newfound joy of parenthood, as they had been unable to conceive a child together before they decided to adopt.
ok, That explains it. I stopped watching when the show moved to FL because it just wasn't any good anymore.

and now a 20 year old is supposed to be the head coach at an ivy league school? I hope they're smart enough to fudge the time line to make sense.

scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 09:06 PM   #19
rahnbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
ok, That explains it. I stopped watching when the show moved to FL because it just wasn't any good anymore.
That last season was pretty bad. I missed the cabin he had in Michigan.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:17 PM   #20
midas
I heard that

If you told me that an old show was going to be redone and gave me 100 guesses I would never guess this one. And I watched every episode when it was on originally.

midas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:03 AM   #21
Cainebj

well this is terrible, i thought Shelley Fabares who played the wife passed away - but apparently she didn't

wonder if she will be reprising her role as Coach's wife?

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 12:45 PM   #22
JYoung
Series 3

Why?
Why bring back Coach?

Nothing against the series but it ran nine seasons. It's not like it got cut short or anything.

Were there a lot of people clamoring for it's return?

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:02 PM   #23
danterner
Not it!

I wonder, when a show is resurrected is there any effort made to bring back the original crew, or is a show's crew considered to be fungible?

| Twitter:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 08:23 PM   #24
rahnbo

As long as they modernize it and don't try to make Coach too "Coachy" I think its worth a shot. They need to stay away from that era's style of sit-com and bring things up to date. I'm thinking something along the lines of "Men of a Certain Age." It was funny but a little dark and certainly not "Everybody Loves Raymond." Hope that makes sense. Of course they'll probably ruin it with laugh tracks and all that stuff but wishful thinking on my part. I hope it works.

Old 03-28-2015, 08:25 PM   #25
rahnbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JYoung View Post
Why?
Why bring back Coach?

Nothing against the series but it ran nine seasons. It's not like it got cut short or anything.

Were there a lot of people clamoring for it's return?
Probably because of Nelson's excellent performance in Parenthood...the only reason I could stand to watch the show (plus my wife made me).

Old 03-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #26
rahnbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I wonder, when a show is resurrected is there any effort made to bring back the original crew, or is a show's crew considered to be fungible?
Thanks, I had to google "fungible."

Old Yesterday, 04:15 PM   #27
3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
well this is terrible, i thought Shelley Fabares who played the wife passed away - but apparently she didn't
I'd hazard a guess that you and Ms. Fabares have very different definitions of the word "terrible"

3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:43 PM   #28
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnB1000 View Post
From the WikiLords

I watched the show to the end, and even I don't remember the new kid! (I do vaguely remember the change of locale.. and IIRC Van Dyke & Faggerbakke's characters followed him, which seemed very strange even in sitcom land..)

Maybe I said this before, but I liked the show, even though I don't like sports generally.
(Have never gotten into Friday Night Lights, another "good even if you don't like sports" show apparently.. I liked the lead on "Early Edition" though!)

Old Yesterday, 10:58 PM   #29
rahnbo

Quote:
I do vaguely remember the change of locale.. and IIRC Van Dyke & Faggerbakke's characters followed him, which seemed very strange even in sitcom land
That's all I remember too from the last season and perhaps a strong storm of some type. Hurricane perhaps? I live in Orlando though and tend to not care about shows based here.

Old Today, 11:20 AM   #30
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by danterner View Post
I think the only way they'd try to bring back any crew members is if they had someone that brought something truly unique to the original show. Someone like a Director of Photography who gave the show a particular look, or a Set Decorator who dressed the set in a signature way. But other than that, I think generally a lighting guy is a lighting guy, a camera operator is a camera operator, etc.

Quote:
I watched the show to the end, and even I don't remember the new kid! (I do vaguely remember the change of locale.. and IIRC Van Dyke & Faggerbakke's characters followed him, which seemed very strange even in sitcom land..)
Why would that be strange? It's extremely common for football coaches to have assistants that they prefer working with and for those assistants to follow the head coach when the HC gets a new job.