TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #1
Queue
UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

Babylon 5 questions

Recently Netflix has made B5 available for streaming and it's something I've been interested in a while so I thought I would watch.

I'm only on the 3rd episode. Well, I guess it's the 3rd.

Netflix shows The Gathering as the 1st episode so I watched that, then Midnight on the Firing Line and now I'm watching Soul Hunter.

How long was it (in the show) between The Gathering and Midnight. And why the change of some cast members? Did it have to do with actors/studio? Or was it suppose to be that way within the show?

Queue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #2
JMikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queue View Post
And why the change of some cast members? Did it have to do with actors/studio?
The actor, in the case of Tamlyn Tomita (Cmdr. Takashima). It's been a while, I could be mis-remembering. She was to be signed for a limited number of shows for a specific story arc, then decided not to sign for the series at all.

On the other hand, Pat Tallman (Lyta) was rejected by the studio.

Johnny Seka (Dr. Kyle) had to turn down the series for health reasons.

The series starts off a bit slow to establish things, hang in there. It picks up a lot in the second season.

Mike

Last edited by JMikeD : 07-03-2010 at 12:25 PM.
JMikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:13 PM   #3
sgsmith

The definitive site for B5 information. Try not to get ahead on the episode guide!

sgsmith is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
MirclMax
Ancient Member

Quote:
How long was it (in the show) between The Gathering and Midnight.
Thank you for the heads up that B5 is now available!

To answer your question.. 1 year. Jan 2257 and then Jan 2258.

(FYI: They mention the year in the opening sequence)

If you find something I have said helpful, please return the favor by helping someone else.
MirclMax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:39 PM   #5
aaronwt
HD Addict

Enjoy. B5 is one of my all time favorite TV series. J. Michael Straczynski did a superb job with it.

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #6
kmccbf

I don't remember the time frame, but I think the length of time between making the gathering and making getting Babylon 5 accepted as a series and the first series produced may have been something like 3 to 5 years.

Just checked - looks like it was four years.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmccbf View Post
I don't remember the time frame, but I think the length of time between making the gathering and making getting Babylon 5 accepted as a series and the first series produced may have been something like 3 to 5 years.

Just checked - looks like it was four years.
???

No, it was one year. The pilot aired in February 1993, and the series premiered in January 1994.

Old 07-03-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
MirclMax
Ancient Member

I would guess that he's using the fact that JMS was working on "The Gathering" in 1989 .. that's when it was being shopped around to studios.

MirclMax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 01:48 PM   #9
aaronwt
HD Addict

"...Star Trek: Deep Space Nine controversy
The pilot episode of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine (DS9) aired just weeks before the debut of Babylon 5. Babylon 5 creator J. Michael Straczynski indicated that Paramount was aware of his concept as early as 1989,[56] when he attempted to sell the show to the studio, and provided them with the series bible, pilot script, artwork, lengthy character background histories, and plot synopses for the first 22 episodes.[57][58] Paramount passed on Babylon 5, but later announced Deep Space Nine was in development after Warner Bros. announced its plans for Babylon 5. Straczynski has stated on numerous occasions that he thinks Paramount may have used his bible and scripts as the basis for DS9's first season.[59][60] On the subject of suing Paramount for infringement, Straczynski indicated he had no intentions to do so, and added:

That we have decided – for the best interests of all – to take a mature, 'let's move forward' approach does not mean that I have to pretend nothing happened. [...] It's on the level of 'Okay, YOU (Paramount) know what happened, and I know what happened, but let's try to be grownup about it for now,' though I must say that the shape-changing thing nearly tipped me back over the edge again.
The fact that the two shows were so similar at that time, one a nobody show from nowhere, the other bundled with the STAR TREK name, came within an inch of killing Babylon 5. That's one of the main reasons why it took nearly a period of four months [after the first pilot telefilm] before we finally got the go order for year one, after everybody crunched the ratings, and the demos, and decided to take a chance on it. And even THEN we were told, 'The syndie market can't sustain two shows like this; you're gonna get creamed...."

53TB unRAID2--38TB unRAID3--33TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #10
kmccbf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MirclMax View Post
I would guess that he's using the fact that JMS was working on "The Gathering" in 1989 .. that's when it was being shopped around to studios.
Right! According to the lurkers, it began filming in '89 as well. With that much of a time frame, a lot of changes took place.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:47 PM   #11
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Right! According to the lurkers, it began filming in '89 as well. With that much of a time frame, a lot of changes took place.
Ah, no. According to Lurker's, it started filming in August 1992, a few months before it aired.

It's not unusual for a show to be in development for many years, but that doesn't change the fact that B5 had only one year between the time the pilot aired and the time the series proper premiered, and less than a year between the time filming started on the pilot (8/92) and filming started on the series (three episodes are filmed by the time Con season starts in July 93).

Old 07-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
kmccbf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Ah, no. According to Lurker's, it started filming in August 1992, a few months before it aired.

It's not unusual for a show to be in development for many years, but that doesn't change the fact that B5 had only one year between the time the pilot aired and the time the series proper premiered, and less than a year between the time filming started on the pilot (8/92) and filming started on the series (three episodes are filmed by the time Con season starts in July 93).
You're right, I was in a hurry and miss took the date for the development for the filming date. In the sme way I missed the "in the series" part of the OP.

Old 07-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #13
cheesesteak
Meh.

I wish some station would broadcast Babylon 5 reruns. It's funny how some shows are in constant syndication while other shows seemingly just disappear. I wouldn't mind seeing the first couple of seasons of Andromeda too.

Live well and prosper
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #14
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Yes, I'm here. In case, you know, you didn't think I'd post.

For fun, Queue, if you look back at old posts, some of us TCF folks did a B5 rewatch a few years ago at 3 episodes a week. It was a lot of fun, but there's a thread for every episode. The only thing that was tough, at least for me, was trying to keep the posts strictly to that episode and prior, having seen the entire series many times.

Midnight on the Firing Line

You can go from there if you want, there's a thread for The Gathering somewhere, but there were issues of spoilers (the special edition gives away some serious stuff).

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #15
JMikeD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I wish some station would broadcast Babylon 5 reruns. It's funny how some shows are in constant syndication while other shows seemingly just disappear.
I've been puzzled by that as well. It may be that the TV rights are pretty tangled up due to the way that the original syndication was done (with PTEN and TNT in the mix), whereas Warners may own the DVD rights completely. I have the DVD set, so I can watch when I want, but it would be nice to catch some new viewers

Mike

Old 07-04-2010, 12:19 PM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
I've been puzzled by that as well. It may be that the TV rights are pretty tangled up due to the way that the original syndication was done (with PTEN and TNT in the mix), whereas Warners may own the DVD rights completely. I have the DVD set, so I can watch when I want, but it would be nice to catch some new viewers
I wonder if it's also not the nature of the show. It's pretty heavily serialized, and that's not the kind of show that tends to do well in syndication, where viewers are less likely to be able to watch every episode. That's why stuff like Seinfeld and Law & Order get aired endlessly, because you can just watch whatever episodes you can catch without ever missing anything. But Babylon 5 requires real commitment.

And I suspect most of the people willing to make that commitment have already seen it!

Old 07-04-2010, 04:14 PM   #17
JMikeD

That's a good thought. Lost may suffer a similar fate. In fact, it may already have. I don't remember many reruns after the new episodes the last several years.

Old 07-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #18
JYoung
Series 3

Yes, it's really five miles long.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:01 PM   #19
bellvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMikeD View Post
That's a good thought. Lost may suffer a similar fate. In fact, it may already have. I don't remember many reruns after the new episodes the last several years.
Isn't that partly due to the fact that ABC (supposedly) listened to fans who were sick of all the reruns and wanted to see the season straight through?

bellvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #20
dtle

Man...I remember that site being one of my favorite during the series run. I can't believe it's been 12 years since the finale. (I never gotten into the other series afterwards.)

dtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #21
kmccbf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
I wonder if it's also not the nature of the show. It's pretty heavily serialized, and that's not the kind of show that tends to do well in syndication, where viewers are less likely to be able to watch every episode. That's why stuff like Seinfeld and Law & Order get aired endlessly, because you can just watch whatever episodes you can catch without ever missing anything. But Babylon 5 requires real commitment.

And I suspect most of the people willing to make that commitment have already seen it!
I suspect this is true. So many shows have started serializing their story lines, that I wonder if they aren't shooting themselves in the foot when it comes to syndication. On the other hand, DVD sales I'm sure go way up. I have all of the B5 DVDs and I know people who are planning to buy all of the Lost DVDs when they come out. Serialized TV show are some of the most in demand titles when it come to library check out nd our venders tell us the same is happening with sales.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:05 AM   #22
Queue
UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

OMG. I've started reading the Lurker site and I can't believe all the stuff I'm overlooking. I never imagined this show was so in depth and planned. There's so many nuances I've missed. I'm on the 11th ep now and I want to go back and start over at The Gathering.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #23
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
OMG. I've started reading the Lurker site and I can't believe all the stuff I'm overlooking. I never imagined this show was so in depth and planned.
That's because you're used to everything else that's ever been on TV.

B5 is nothing like any of it.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:57 AM   #24
JMikeD

Wow. I hadn’t been on the Lurker's Guide for a very long time, and I'd forgotten about all the Star Trek fans pointing out that JMS got it wrong because ST didn’t do it that way. Drove him (and me) up the wall.

Mike
a fan of the original ST series

Last edited by JMikeD : 07-05-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:25 AM   #25
kmccbf

Been a Star Trek Fan since the show was first aired. I think of my self as a trekkie, (never liked the word trekker, we were trekkies first.) B-5 is in my opinion the best SF series ever aired. Others have been better acted and had episodes that were better written, the new BG for example and Firefly, but b-5 was consistant with through out the series. I remember that there were lines that appeared to be throw-aways in season one that ended up being a major turning point much later in the series. It's a show that improved on the second watching be cause of the "Oh yeah!, that ties in with this in the last season." factor.

Sorry, fellow Trekkies, trekkers. B-5 had it right.

Old 07-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #26
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

What's hilarious about the B5 vs. Star Trek thing is that for some odd reason there was a certain contingent of Trek fans who thought you could only ever have science fiction if it were Star Trek, and anything else was garbage. Sometimes they were right (they tried to sell Space Rangers to us/them at a convention once, showed the entire first episode). This time they were wrong.

To this day, you'll find Star Trek fans who will argue that B5 copied Deep Space Nine.

I spent a good amount of the run of Lost trying to explain that it really is possible to plan a story out long form, using Babylon 5 as an example. I was proven right in many ways, but when "Adam & Eve" proved to be similar to an incident on Babylon 5 (hope that was vague enough), their response was "Oh well they retconned." You can't win.

Welcome to the club, Queue.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 02:44 PM   #27
kmccbf

Blast, I started reading the episode summeries on Luker again. Now I'm going to have to watch the whole series again, because I'd forgotten just how good it was since I watched it last year.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:12 PM   #28
JMikeD

Quote:
Blast, I started reading the episode summeries on Luker again. Now I'm going to have to watch the whole series again, because I'd forgotten just how good it was since I watched it last year.
Me, too!

Old 07-05-2010, 03:51 PM   #29
kmccbf

I think it's going to become a yearly thing.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:03 PM   #30
Queue
UnbowdUnbentUnbrokn

Something weird is going on with Netflix and it's episodes. I choose S1 Ep 12 (Survivor) but it plays S1 Ep 16 (Grail).