TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-21-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Survivor Cagayan Finale : OAD 5-21-2014

I turned it off when Kass won the immunity challenge. If she doesn't win the thing I'll go back and watch the rest.

Edit: I just peeked and I'm glad I did. Wow! Wu. Oh, that was fun.

Last edited by Fool Me Twice : 05-21-2014 at 08:22 PM.
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #2
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

And ... it's over. Congrats to Tony, but I think he owes Spencer big time. Seems to me that jury was leaning against him until Spencer's final speech.

IMO Tony deserved it once Spencer was gone. I do sort of wish we could have heard Kass's "closing argument" because I think she would have made a good one.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

So, the difference between Tony and Russell Hantz is, what? Spencer's lobbying? A change over time in how the ideal game is perceived? Luck of the draw in terms of the people he played with?

Good season. So glad Kass didn't spoil it. It had to be Spencer or Tony.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
And ... it's over. Congrats to Tony, but I think he owes Spencer big time. Seems to me that jury was leaning against him until Spencer's final speech.
It certainly was presented that way, which means little. I haven't watched the latest Ponderosa videos yet--perhaps that and exit interviews will give clues.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:
Russell Hantz ‏@russellhantz 23m
I needed @SpencerBGM on my ****ing jury !! Wtf

Old 05-21-2014, 09:32 PM   #6
WO312

Early on, as soon as they spelled out on the screen Wu saying it would be stupid to take Tony, I knew he would be taking Tony.

I think Tony owes Spenser $100k. Tony sure did not present much of a case. As much as I disliked Kass, she would have had a hell of an offense, as previously mentioned.
WO312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #7
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

So no Fan Favorite this year? Spencer would be a lock.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #8
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Blood vs Water II. As long as there are no returning players, okay. Otherwise, bleh.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:54 PM   #9
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool Me Twice View Post
Blood vs Water II. As long as there are no returning players, okay. Otherwise, bleh.
I hope that the voice overs during the preview were from the last one, because I am 99% sure the last one was Rupert, who has been on my tv about 5 times too many.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:57 PM   #10
Azlen

Quote:
It's all new players, no returnees.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #11
toddvj

Dick move by Spenser in the final jury. What was his interest in Tony winning?
How did Kass go from barely having her stick out of the float to having it all the way up so quickly? Shenanigans, I say.
Tony really didn't play that well, he just got lucky. He isn't nearly as smart as Russell. Unless you consider being unpredictable a good game stategy. In any other season, with competent players all that would've gotten him is a fast ticket home.
Kass also didn't play that well. For someone on the "brains" tribe she made some idiotic decisions, based on her temper and other emotions.
Woo should have taken Kass to the end, but I'm glad he didn't. There is no way we can know how the vote would've gone had it been Woo vs. Kass. Remember Kass makes her living making arguments in front of a jury.
One thing to remember is Tony got very lucky throughout the game. Without the idols, even if nobody knew he had them, he would have behaved differently.
toddvj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:06 PM   #12
dfergie

Thank God Kass didn't make it, sucked that Spencer lost that challenge... and, Tony owes him and Woo.
dfergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:13 PM   #13
LordKronos

At the reunion, that other cop (forgot her name) said that Tony was tweeting all kinds of crap about her when the episode where she got voted out aired. Did anyone happen to see those tweets? Were they really as bad as she made it seem?

Even though they voted for the person who deserved it, I was mostly annoyed with the majority of the jury. I can't stand all of those questions where the player (Tony in this case) doesn't even get to respond, or you force him to respond yes/no to some obviously false premise without giving him a chance to address how nonsensical it is. Was it Trish talking about "was it worth it to disrespect your father like that"? That's about as valid a question as "do you still beat your wife?" I don't get how so many people think that swearing on a grave (especially to a bunch of nearly strangers) is something so sacred.

Even though I couldn't stand the guy, I think Johnny Fairplay demonstrated it best. People were shocked he would disrespect his grandma, using her as a pawn like that by swearing on her (non-existent) grave. Meanwhile his grandma was actually quite proud of him for doing it.
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #14
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddvj View Post
Dick move by Spenser in the final jury. What was his interest in Tony winning?
Why? He's a fan of the game and respects actual gameplay, and he's sick of bitter jury members who think the motto of the game is "Outfriend, Outhonor, Outrespect".
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:57 PM   #15
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
Why? He's a fan of the game and respects actual gameplay, and he's sick of bitter jury members who think the motto of the game is "Outfriend, Outhonor, Outrespect".
this.

the jury was sounding bitter (or edited that way) and spencer set them straight ... and he was right

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:04 PM   #16
nmiller855

I wonder if the cops out there are bothered by the fact that Tony said that swearing on his badge doesn't mean anything to him. I was offended that he swore on his wife & baby but was most offended by him swearing on his father's grave. In my eyes, that was the most disrespectful thing anyone can do
nmiller855 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:05 PM   #17
bryhamm
randomize

all's fair in survivor

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:59 PM   #18
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordKronos View Post
This.

I really love Spencer. All season. However, his pitch at the end was awesome and just made me love him more.

I am glad that Woo took Tony to the end.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"

Last edited by betts4 : 05-22-2014 at 05:42 AM.
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:09 AM   #19
Azlen

I'm surprised nobody has talked about how Woo cost himself a million dollars by taking Tony instead of Kass. He himself said that he would be the stupidest player in Survivor history if he took Tony. I don't know about the stupidest but he definitely put himself up there with Colby Donaldson as far as that final choice costing him the win. That half second in the final immunity challenge was probably the difference between Woo winning and losing the final vote.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:51 AM   #20
DancnDude
Thrice as nice

Yep...woo would have been better off had kass won the immunity challenge.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:32 AM   #21
Dnamertz

Quote:
So, the difference between Tony and Russell Hantz is, what? Spencer's lobbying? A change over time in how the ideal game is perceived? Luck of the draw in terms of the people he played with?
As Spencer was making his speech, I said "Russell could have used him".
Dnamertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:43 AM   #22
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
And ... it's over. Congrats to Tony, but I think he owes Spencer big time. Seems to me that jury was leaning against him until Spencer's final speech. IMO Tony deserved it once Spencer was gone. I do sort of wish we could have heard Kass's "closing argument" because I think she would have made a good one.
I don't think Spencer's plea really made much difference. I think the jury was trying to find a reason not to vote for Tony and trying to talk themselves into voting for Woo, but ultimately, Tony had 39 days of track record to point to, and Woo had one arguably honorable, arguably stupid decision that he was hanging his hat on. The vote was 8-1 for Tony. There's no way Spencer turned at least four votes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmiller855 View Post
I wonder if the cops out there are bothered by the fact that Tony said that swearing on his badge doesn't mean anything to him. I was offended that he swore on his wife & baby but was most offended by him swearing on his father's grave. In my eyes, that was the most disrespectful thing anyone can do
I will never understand this attitude. What does it even mean to say that you "swear on" something? It's meaningless. Is there some kind of religious connotation that I don't understand? I don't get why anyone places any importance on this and why people seem to think it's a big deal when someone breaks that promise.

A promise is a promise. Whether it's sworn on something doesn't make it any stronger. If the person making the promise has no intention to keep it, then the words they say along with the promise are worthless as well. Why are people so easily swayed by such stupid cliches?
Old 05-22-2014, 05:42 AM   #23
Family

I see a difference between Tony & Russell even without Spencer's speech, beginning with Tony being more likeable. But on top of this Tony's strategy for getting rid of people was beyond just lying. As he said to Jefra at tribal; he waited until she was considering turning on the alliance before he made his move. Russell was never that patient or insightful. Or with Trish, Tony said it was between her & Kass and anyone (except Woo) could understand that move.

Lost in this is Tony switched alliances when they first changed tribes and (not coincidently) he aligned himself with weaker players than the LJ/Jeremiah group he was with before. And his core alliance was 4 of the last 5 and would have been final 4 if Spencer didn't have immunity so he did for the most part remain loyal. Yes he lied, but IMO Tony played a much better end game than Russell and was a more likeable person to pull it off.
Family is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 05:56 AM   #24
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Dalton's Recap: http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/survivo...-finale-recap/

meh
Old 05-22-2014, 06:37 AM   #25
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

This was the equivalent of Tina taking Colby to the finals with her

I don't get the "I swear by this...I swear by that" stuff. If it would get me a million dollars, I'm happy to swear on my mother, dead father, kids, all future sex life...anything you want. What difference would it make to these people or things? is a bolt of lightning going to come down and kill them?

people need to get a grip on reality...
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:42 AM   #26
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
This was the equivalent of Tina taking Colby to the finals with her
It was the other way around, but yeah, I said the same thing to my wife last night when the vote was read.

Quote:
I don't get the "I swear by this...I swear by that" stuff. If it would get me a million dollars, I'm happy to swear on my mother, dead father, kids, all future sex life...anything you want. What difference would it make to these people or things? is a bolt of lightning going to come down and kill them?

people need to get a grip on reality...
I agree, but if I was on the jury I might hold it against someone who resorted to swearing those things if they were up against someone worthy who didn't.

meh
Old 05-22-2014, 06:52 AM   #27
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

Woo had a chance to make one big play in the game which would have virtually guaranteed him $1M... and he choked. I'm not a Tony fan but he deserved it and Woo did not.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #28
hairyblue
A good Man

Woo was very dumb. Who couldn't see Tony played the game and Woo didn't. I don't agree with Tony's play style but he did a lot of big moves and found lots of idols.

If it was between Kass and Woo, I'd give it to Kass for the same reason.

Woo just didn't do anything, and how do you go a month with out shaving and only have a moustache<grin>

And the thing about Tony tweeting with the other cop on survivor, I'm sad that they didn't get passed the game. I don't know what Tony tweeted but I wish Tony would have taken the high road because she (forget her name) didn't really do anything wrong. But maybe she was tweeting hateful stuff. I don't know.

Another thing that surprised me was the time that passed. How long was it between the vote and the reading of the vote? Tony said he had parasites for 3 months in his stomach.

Own 2 Tivo Premieres. OTA
Fired DTV for expensive rates on Sept. 2012
hairyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:59 AM   #29
cherry ghost

I wouldn't be surprised if Spencer had already made his argument for Tony at Ponderosa and producers encouraged him to do it at tribal.
cherry ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:00 AM   #30
laria
Librocubicularist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
I will never understand this attitude. What does it even mean to say that you "swear on" something? It's meaningless. Is there some kind of religious connotation that I don't understand? I don't get why anyone places any importance on this and why people seem to think it's a big deal when someone breaks that promise.
Yeah, I don't get it either.