TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-13-2010, 06:37 AM   #1
domtrump

Connect TiVo directly to PC via Ethernet

I have a TiVo Series II DT. Transferring shows with TiVo Desktop 2.8 via my wireless 802.11g network is painfully slow. However, the TiVo & PC are not in the same room as the router so I am not able to connect each to the router via ethernet (not about to start running cables through the walls!). However, the TiVo & the PC ARE only two feet from each other so I am going to connect them DIRECTLY via ethernet cable.
I am not a networking or TCP/IP expert but I can get by if pointed in the right direction. Would someone be kind enough to post detailed instructions for connecting the TiVo Series II DT directly to a Vista (Ultimate) PC so that I can use TiVo Desktop 2.8 to transfer recorded shows FROM the TiVo TO the PC. (Note: I still have other machines that will continue to perform smaller transfers via the wireless network so I need to make sure that this new connection does not interfere with that process. I just need this ONE PC to have the fastest connection possible since it is my media server hooked up to my flat screen.)
Thank you for your assistance!
domtrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #2
St. Stephen
AMX ACE Expert

Assuming your PC is connected via a wired Ethernet cable directly to the router, you will need to add a network switch unit. This will basically act as a splitter for the network connection to your PC. These units are fairly inexpensive, maybe $25.
Plug in the switch to power. Unplug the network cable from the PC and into the switch. Using a new cable, connect the PC and the switch. Using another cable connect the Tivo and the switch. Confirm internet access on both the PC and the Tivo (connecto to service now...). You should now be able to communicate with the Tivo via the PC.
St. Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
domtrump

Actually, no. This is not the case. NOT connected via a wired connection to ANY router.

From my original post:
"However, the TiVo & PC are not in the same room as the router so I am not able to connect each to the router via ethernet (not about to start running cables through the walls!). However, the TiVo & the PC ARE only two feet from each other so I am going to connect them DIRECTLY via ethernet cable."

I am looking to connect the TiVo directly to the PC - ethernet port to ethernet port (peer-to-peer). If I need a separate wired router to place between the tivo and the pc, I can throw one in the mix, but it will NOT be connected to the internet. There is no possibility of running a cable from my entertainment center (where both the tivo and the pc are located) to the 2nd story office where the cable connection, broadband router and wireless n router are located.

Hope that provides better clarification for this issue.

Any instructions on how to set this up?
Old 05-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #4
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

You would need something similar to this:

Internet access would be required to get TiVo account information so TTG functions would be permitted (and get Guide Data, Netflix, etc.), but the actual transfer from TiVo to PC would not need to be wireless, since they are both connected to the same multi-port bridge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 08:22 AM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I've done this in the past and all you need is a crossover ethernet cable.
Once hooked up, the PC with TivoDesktop should see the Tivo.
Is this going to be a temporary setup for when you transfer shows?
If not, you'll need to hook up the Tivo to a phone line so it can connect to the Tivo service to get updates.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:12 AM   #6
domtrump

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I've done this in the past and all you need is a crossover ethernet cable.
Once hooked up, the PC with TivoDesktop should see the Tivo.
Is this going to be a temporary setup for when you transfer shows?
If not, you'll need to hook up the Tivo to a phone line so it can connect to the Tivo service to get updates.
This is what I've been looking for! Could it really be that simple? No additional hardware? I haven't had use for a "crossover" cable in some time now - are they still commonly available at Best Buy or Staples or will I have to get one online?

To answer you, yes - this is something I could just hook up temporarily when I need to do large transfers. I do not want to interrupt the wireless connections as the tivo uses a wireless usb adapter to get updates and guide info from the internet. Also, several other machines on the network connect wirelessly to the tivo to transfer shows as well. This would just be something I needed to do when I wanted to transfer a large amount of data quickly. might look into a more permanent set-up in the future, but this would do the trick for now.

So the PC should just see the tivo? Do I have to set anything up differently in Tivo Desktop?

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:26 PM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by domtrump View Post
So the PC should just see the tivo? Do I have to set anything up differently in Tivo Desktop?

Thanks for your help.
It's been years since I've done this, but I don't remember having any problems.
You might have to turn off the PCs firewall, but since you're not connected to the internet in this situation, it should not matter.
If the PC network connection can see the Tivo as an attached device, then Tivo Desktop should see it as well.
You might also have to configure the Tivo to have a static IP address.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 05-22-2010, 07:32 PM   #8
stevo1569

Why don't you just share your wireless internet connection with your ethernet port. That way your TiVo can connect to the TiVo service and your TiVoToGo transfer speeds will be fast...
1 - Cisco Wireless Ethernet Bridge (1.0.04)
stevo1569 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 05:15 AM   #9
domtrump

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
It's been years since I've done this, but I don't remember having any problems.
You might have to turn off the PCs firewall, but since you're not connected to the internet in this situation, it should not matter.
If the PC network connection can see the Tivo as an attached device, then Tivo Desktop should see it as well.
You might also have to configure the Tivo to have a static IP address.
Thanks. Can you tell me how to give the tivo a static ip address? Will this interfere with getting updates or guide info from the tivo service or does my ip address not matter for that?

Thanks again for your help.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:17 AM   #10
domtrump

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo1569 View Post
Why don't you just share your wireless internet connection with your ethernet port. That way your TiVo can connect to the TiVo service and your TiVoToGo transfer speeds will be fast...
not quite sure what you mean. the wireless connection is what is causing the problem. i want to connect directly via ethernet cable. what do you mean by sharing my wireless with my ethernet port? how would this facilitate a wired connection?

Thanks.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:12 AM   #11
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by domtrump View Post
Thanks. Can you tell me how to give the tivo a static ip address?
On the Tivo, go to Tivo Central --> Messages & Settings --> Settings --> Phone & Network --> Change Network Settings --> Let me specify a static IP address.
Quote:
Will this interfere with getting updates or guide info from the tivo service or does my ip address not matter for that?
No, it should not.

F*CK CANCER!