TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #1
michael1248

Question about my first Amazon VOD download

I wanted to try my first ever download on Amazon VOD. I chose an old racing movie "The Last American Hero." The registration process was straightforward and worked on the first try. I started the download after midnight and was pleasantly surprised in the morning to see the movie appeared to have successfully downloaded overnight. When I ordered it from the Amazon I did notice that it stated that TiVo downloads would be in fullscreen. It was an old movie, and since it was a test download (in SD), I had no problem with fullscreen instead of widescreen. However when I played the movie it turned out that although the movie was in fullscreen, it was the widescreen version compressed into a fullscreen format. Translation: squished faces.

Amazon was great and immediately credited me back the $5.99. When I went back to the movie's website on Amazon, I noticed that had I opted to download the movie directly to my PC, I would have received the widescreen version.

Why the difference in formats based on the destination device? Is this common with Amazon? Am I better off with Netflix?
michael1248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:15 AM   #2
lujan

I've only downloaded HD movies from Amazon's VOD so it's always been widescreen. I like Amazon because the picture and sound is much better than Netflix's streaming movies but the cost is much higher. I had credit on my VOD account so that's why I used it but I would never pay full price for these movies. I would rather wait and get the disk from Netflix.
6 DVD
lujan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
Gavroche

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1248 View Post
Why the difference in formats based on the destination device? Is this common with Amazon? Am I better off with Netflix?
Netflix streaming still has a lot of aspect ratio issues, in my experience.
Gavroche is offline   Reply With Quote