TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-17-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
jsrober

Question Has TiVo Premier Been Hacked Yet? (Replace drive, or external expander)

Hi,

I have a TiVo Premier. I want to use a standard eSATA drive (high quality drive in a high quality case) with my Premier. I don't want to buy the official expander. Have the hackers figured out how to do this yet?

Has anyone figured out how to replace the internal drive?

Thanks,
John
jsrober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
bkdtv

There are no public tools to do either.

Weaknees discovered a method -- which they are keeping private -- and offers pre-upgraded TiVo Premieres in 2TB and 4TB configurations.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 05:51 PM   #3
curiousgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsrober View Post
Hi,

I have a TiVo Premier. I want to use a standard eSATA drive (high quality drive in a high quality case) with my Premier. I don't want to buy the official expander. Have the hackers figured out how to do this yet?

Has anyone figured out how to replace the internal drive?

Thanks,
John
Drop-in 1TB and 2TB upgrade drives are on eBay for the Premiere now, so Weaknees isn't the only one that's figured it out. Hopefully there will be a community how-to soon.
curiousgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #4
CharlesH

If Tivo's attitude toward these modifications is like in the past, they don't consider the modifications to be evil violations of the terms of service, as Apple does toward jailbreaking iPhones. They just say that your warranty is void and they won't help you if you have problems with them. But they will be happy to continue to provide service on them.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
TivoRocks193

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
There are no public tools to do either.

Weaknees discovered a method -- which they are keeping private -- and offers pre-upgraded TiVo Premieres in 2TB and 4TB configurations.
Has this changed? Has a public method been discovered?
TivoRocks193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TivoRocks193 View Post
Has this changed? Has a public method been discovered?
http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/sho...21#post8095021

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
TivoRocks193

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
Is that a yes or no?
Old 09-17-2010, 06:41 PM   #8
lessd

Quote:
Is that a yes or no?
For the expert you can hack in a bigger Premiere drive but it far from easy like WinMFS was on all other TiVos.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
bigpatky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
If Tivo's attitude toward these modifications is like in the past, they don't consider the modifications to be evil violations of the terms of service, as Apple does toward jailbreaking iPhones. They just say that your warranty is void and they won't help you if you have problems with them. But they will be happy to continue to provide service on them.
i'm really not trying to start a fanboy war (which always seems to happen whenever apple is brought up) but what you just described sounds exactly like apple's attitude toward jailbreakers.
bigpatky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:19 PM   #10
donnoh

There is nothing better than a bigger hard drive in your Tivo. All of us hacks might amount to .1% of all Tivo owners so they could give a rats but about us hackers.
Party on...

Last edited by donnoh : 09-17-2010 at 08:25 PM.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:26 PM   #11
bsdbytes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpatky View Post
i'm really not trying to start a fanboy war (which always seems to happen whenever apple is brought up) but what you just described sounds exactly like apple's attitude toward jailbreakers.
I think the main difference is Apple brands you as a criminal and actively tries to re-lock your phone.
bsdbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:37 PM   #12
ilkevinli

I don't think its the same at all. Apple continually closes the holes used to jailbreak so that the phone can no longer be jailbroken. Tivo does no such thing.

Quote:

ilkevinli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 01:02 PM   #13
StanSimmons
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilkevinli View Post
I don't think its the same at all. Apple continually closes the holes used to jailbreak so that the phone can no longer be jailbroken. Tivo does no such thing.
They lock down each new series of TiVo more than the last, but they don't actively try to break hacks during purely software upgrades.

Series 1 boxes were very easy to hack. Series 2 boxes were harder to hack until some smart hackers found a way to break the "chain of trust" with software. Series 2.5 and Series 3/HD boxes require a replacement prom to hack. Series 4/Premier boxes seem to block being able to just replace the prom....

So TiVo does actively try to stop the hackers, they just aren't malicious about it like Apple is.

"easy as 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884179"
StanSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 03:05 PM   #14
ilkevinli

Like I said, its not the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSimmons View Post
but they don't actively try to break hacks during purely software upgrades.

Old 09-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #15
CharlesH

Quote:
Like I said, its not the same.
I think that TiVo goes to great lengths to prevent modified software from running on the box so that they don't risk losing their CableLabs and related DRM certifications. Putting authorized software on a bigger hard drive doesn't compromise that; it simply becomes a matter of not wanting to support boxes with random hard drives.
CharlesH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #16
ilkevinli

And what exactly are the "great lengths" Tivo goes to ? If they wanted to prevent it and or stop it, they could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesH View Post
I think that TiVo goes to great lengths to prevent modified software from running on the box so that they don't risk losing their CableLabs and related DRM certifications. Putting authorized software on a bigger hard drive doesn't compromise that; it simply becomes a matter of not wanting to support boxes with random hard drives.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #17
RiyanWeb

i agree with CharlesH
Old 09-19-2010, 04:10 PM   #18
lessd

Quote:
And what exactly are the "great lengths" Tivo goes to ? If they wanted to prevent it and or stop it, they could.
One easy way is to have PROM look for the correct size drive or drive type like TiVo does for the external expander.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:31 PM   #19
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
The "holes" used to jailbreak are security holes that can be exploited to do bad things as well. So yes, Apple patches security vulnerabilities. But if you jailbreak, Apple doesn't do anything to re-lock your phone. Just don't expect future software updates to support your jailbreak.
Old 09-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #20
Mike Wolf
Associate

Ok, basicallly here is the deal, you can use a regular hard drive that uses eSATA,BUT its not advised because the hard drives used in DVR's and the "official" expanders as you put it are specialized drives that don't have error correcting features that affect the smooth video stream, these features which are required for regular computer usage. Also AV hard drives are much much quieter. Here is some data collected from various DVR drive whitepapers.
Thermal Control: On board sensors monitor temperature and adjust characteristics as necessary to keep the temperature optimal.
Durability: These drives run at 7200 RPM - more than fast enough for every PVR (providing about three times the necessary peak throughput) but not fast enough to wear out sooner.
Acoustic Management: DVR-specific drives are specially tuned to run as quietly as possible.
A/V Streaming: DVR-specific drives have been optimized and tuned to provide consistent data to the PVR processor. Standard desktop drives can hang while retrying drive reads - DVR drives know to move ahead and provide more data to keep video smooth.
Error Recovery: Desktop drives retry on errors to make sure that your Excel spreadsheet is exactly right - it's imperative. But when watching video, if one block of data is bad, you may not even notice a dark spot on one frame for 1/30th of a second. So these drives are tuned to move past errors faster, putting the stream of data as top priority. Where desktop drives often cause stutters, these drives run smooth.
Mike Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #21
Mike Wolf
Associate

Quote:
I think what he's referring to is the use of special hex screws that normal consumers can't open with a philips screwdriver, the usage of an operating system that needs to be on the drive in order for the tivo to work, and hardware limitations, at least found in the S1 and S2 models, prevented the usage of huge drives.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:18 PM   #22
ilkevinli

None of the things you listed are used to prevent and stop hard drive upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Wolf View Post
I think what he's referring to is the use of special hex screws that normal consumers can't open with a philips screwdriver, the usage of an operating system that needs to be on the drive in order for the tivo to work, and hardware limitations, at least found in the S1 and S2 models, prevented the usage of huge drives.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:44 PM   #23
DeWitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by nataylor View Post
The "holes" used to jailbreak are security holes that can be exploited to do bad things as well. So yes, Apple patches security vulnerabilities. But if you jailbreak, Apple doesn't do anything to re-lock your phone. Just don't expect future software updates to support your jailbreak.
Actually Apple has gone to the courts (So far unsuccessfully) to establish that Jailbreaking an Apple product is Illegal and can be prosecuted under DCMA.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #24
TivoRocks193

Quote:
i'm really not trying to start a fanboy war...
Criticizing Apple on a tech forum? That's like offering free drugs to a drug addict... you just can't stop nerds from responding (as demonstrated above and apparently below).

Last edited by TivoRocks193 : 09-20-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:52 PM   #25
nataylor
Curiously Strong

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWitt View Post
Actually Apple has gone to the courts (So far unsuccessfully) to establish that Jailbreaking an Apple product is Illegal and can be prosecuted under DCMA.
Apple objects to the DMCA exception for jailbreaking, sure. But Apple has never tried to "re-lock" or "unjailbreak" someone's already-jailbroken iPhone. And that has nothing to do with the point I was making, that Apple doesn't close the "holes" used for jailbreaking just to stop jailbreaking. They do it because those holes represent security vulnerabilities that could be exploited to do all kinds of malicious things. Patching secuirty vulnverabilities is a GOOD thing.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #26
bigpatky

Quote:
Criticizing Apple on a tech forum? That's like offering free drugs to a drug addict... you just can't stop nerds from responding (as demonstrated above and apparently below).
I should have listened to myself and not engage in a conversation about Apple. Instead of continuing the conversation in a reasonable manner, someone decided to engage in name calling.
bigpatky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:32 PM   #27
Mike Wolf
Associate

Quote:
None of the things you listed are used to prevent and stop hard drive upgrades.
I disagree but for the sake of not losing my mind, lets just agree to disagree.
Old 01-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #28
videogeek

I think Tivo should like the hacking. Taking the box beyond... better yet... turn some of them into features...
videogeek is offline   Reply With Quote