TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #1
gamo62

Difference between MPGEG-PS and MPEG-TS files?

Does anyone know what the differences are between the MPEG-PS and TS file types? When I use IE8, to connect to my Premiere, I have the option of downloading either format. Thanks.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
dlfl
Cranky old novice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG_transport_stream and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPEG_program_stream

A TS can contain several program streams:

Quote:
Transport stream has a concept of programs. Each single program is described by a Program Map Table (PMT) which has a unique PID, and the elementary streams associated with that program have PIDs listed in the PMT. For instance, a transport stream used in digital television might contain three programs, to represent three television channels. Suppose each channel consists of one video stream, one or two audio streams, and any necessary metadata. A receiver wishing to decode a particular "channel" merely has to decode the payloads of each PID associated with its program. It can discard the contents of all other PIDs. A transport stream with more than one program is referred to as MPTS - Multi Program Transport Stream. A single program transport stream is referred to as SPTS.
Also, TS are supposed to have more error correction features, to make them better for transmission by less reliable means.

I'm not sure what practical aspects caused TiVo to use TS in some cases.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
moyekj

Be warned however that TS downloads from Premiere units seem to have a lot more trouble compared to PS downloads. I've seen reports (in kmttg thread) of incomplete or problems with playback of TS downloads where same shows downloaded as PS are fine. So at least for now even though TS downloads are a lot faster it seems you are better off sticking with PS format for reliability. That may explain why currently TiVo Desktop offers no option for TS downloads.

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote