TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
CorkyDorky

Red face Tivo HD DVR with Brighthouse?

I have Brighthouse cable and they are terrible. Everyone I know that has had Brighthouse hates them. Their HD HDV is horrid so I'm thinking about buying a Tivo HD DVR to use with Brighthouse cable.

My issue is that I'd hate to shell out that much money and still have problems and difficulties due to how bad Brighthouse is. Does anyone have any experience with Tivo/Brighthouse combo? Does Tivo have some sort of return policy that would allow me to make sure the Tivo HD DVR works well with Brighthouse?

Thanks!
CorkyDorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyDorky View Post
I have Brighthouse cable and they are terrible. Everyone I know that has had Brighthouse hates them. Their HD HDV is horrid so I'm thinking about buying a Tivo HD DVR to use with Brighthouse cable.

My issue is that I'd hate to shell out that much money and still have problems and difficulties due to how bad Brighthouse is. Does anyone have any experience with Tivo/Brighthouse combo? Does Tivo have some sort of return policy that would allow me to make sure the Tivo HD DVR works well with Brighthouse?

Thanks!
I had my Series3 with BHN Central Florida with CableCARDs and Tuning Adapter. No problems other than what I was paying per month. My sister and brother-in-law picked up a Premiere, with CableCARD and Tuning Adapter scheduled for tomorrow. I'll report back how that goes. I expect no troubles though, based on my own experience. I dropped BHN's television service, and started saving about $980 per year. I'm OTA with subscription to Netflix, and happy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
CorkyDorky

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
I had my Series3 with BHN Central Florida with CableCARDs and Tuning Adapter. No problems other than what I was paying per month. My sister and brother-in-law picked up a Premiere, with CableCARD and Tuning Adapter scheduled for tomorrow. I'll report back how that goes. I expect no troubles though, based on my own experience. I dropped BHN's television service, and started saving about $980 per year. I'm OTA with subscription to Netflix, and happy.
thanks. what is the tuning adapter for?
CorkyDorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:20 PM   #4
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorkyDorky View Post
thanks. what is the tuning adapter for?
BHN here has implemented "Switched Digital Video", which basically saves bandwidth by not sending all channels down the pipe at one time. A two-way communication device is needed to request a channel for viewing, and the Tuning Adapter fills that need. There are others around that I'm sure can explain it a lot better that how I just did, but I think/hope I captured the gist of it!

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:50 PM   #5
jwodom

I just had a Series3 setup with Brighthouse yesterday. The installer didn't install the tuning adapter with the cablecard, so I'm missing a few of the newer HD channels right now. That will be resolved next week. So far, though, everything works and looks great and the TiVo is working well with Brighthouse.
jwodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
budpritchard

Exclamation Considering switching to Tivo From Brighthouse

I'm investigating migrating from my HD Brighthouse DVR (FL Tampa Bay area). The BH DVR's are dismal. Only two tuners and low capacity.
Tired of losing recordings. I even tried whole house and was not satisfied. Replaced the Whole house in the bedroom with a Roku unit which gave
me access to shows I wanted to record but couldn't because of conflicts on BH DVR.

I ran my own cost analysis of replacing the BH Dvr with a Premiere 4. BH service is $20/month opposed to $18/month for Tivo($2.95 for cable card).
Premiere 4 cost based on Amazon of $189 gives an approximate payback of 2 years for the equipment.

Also, there is the lifetime service of $500 for all the premiere units. I chatted with Tivo customer service about the lifetime service.
From looking at the web site and terms of service I wasn't sure what the lifetime meant. I know they consider it the lifetime of the device.
I was able to determine that the lifetime subscription covers even monthly service. So, $500 buys you 3 years. So in the 4th year on you pay
no monthly fee. With this scenario, I might as well get the XL4 since the Lifetime is the same for all units.
Service for Tivo is $15/month = $180/yr. Three years is $540. So I might as well also get the three year warranty for $40 as insurance.
Odds are that the unit should last a lot longer than 3 years. Tivo's are basically PC's. I assume they use standard parts.

Please feel free to punch holes in my logic.
budpritchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
smithken31100

I have had Brighthouse off and on for the past 10 years or so and have never had any trouble with their service, price was my only reason for switching.

I now have a Premiere 4 and Brighthouse and they work great together. It took the installer and a technician in a center about 3 hours to get the cable card working. The installer said he does about 1 Tivo install a year so I'm guessing that, at least in southeast Michigan, Brighthouse doesn't do many Tivo installations.
Old 08-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
windracer
joined the 10k club

Brighthouse has come a long way with their CableCARD support since I got my original S3 ... pairing a CableCARD with a new TiVo over the phone is actually quick and easy now.

It's a small price, but make sure you factor in the CableCARD rental to your pricing ($2.95/mo). At least the tuning adapters are free.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote