TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-10-2008, 09:18 PM   #1
flightrisk

Inaccurate "This page is displayed on behalf of your cable provider"

This has recently started display for a channel that I *can* receive, watch, and record on my TivoHD (9.2a-01-2-652).

Whenever either tuner (i.e. CableCard 1 or 2) turns to 233 (KYWHD - CBS), the CableCard error page displays. This happens whether I manually change the channel on Live TV, or a scheduled recording does it--even if it's on the tuner not being shown. But, even though the page displays, the channel is actually recorded. And if I hit clear to exit the page, the channel displays video correctly, and I can rewind.

This seems to be a Tivo bug, and I have not seen it with any other channel.

Anyone else see this?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
flightrisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
demon
BURNINATOR

If you tune the channel in question, then to go the Diagnostics screen, what does it show as the CCI value for that channel? Is it, perhaps, 0x02? I know that with SA CableCARDs, if the cards are not fully paired in the head-end system, you'll see that when the TiVo tunes to a copy-protected digital stream. Perhaps that's what's happening? Have you looked at the CableCARD info screens, and checked the pairing information?
demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #3
Roderigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightrisk View Post
This has recently started display for a channel that I *can* receive, watch, and record on my TivoHD (9.2a-01-2-652).

Whenever either tuner (i.e. CableCard 1 or 2) turns to 233 (KYWHD - CBS), the CableCard error page displays. This happens whether I manually change the channel on Live TV, or a scheduled recording does it--even if it's on the tuner not being shown. But, even though the page displays, the channel is actually recorded. And if I hit clear to exit the page, the channel displays video correctly, and I can rewind.

Anyone else see this?
What kind of cablecards are you using? What version of their firmware? I don't think this could be a tivo bug, as the card asks the tivo to put that screen up. So, for some reason the card has asked the tivo to put up that screen.
Roderigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
flightrisk

Edit: spoke too soon

Thanks, guys. The Diagnostics screen hung my Tivo, and when I rebooted, the problem disappeared.

2 Motorola CableCards 4.21 (f/w 1045), on a Comcast system.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by flightrisk : 04-13-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
flightrisk

I guess I spoke to soon. The problem is back, sporadically. Yes, CCI=0x02 when I see the problem now.

I checked my recordings on the affected channel (CBS), and a recording from earlier this month indeed says it's restricted; although earlier recordings (~10) from December 2007 do not have this.

So I think the possibilities are:
(a) Comcast has started restricting CBS to CCI=0x02 in Philly,
(b) Comcast messed up the pairing,
EDIT: Could this be caused by a bad signal?

Anything else? I'm not looking forward to trying to get help from Comcast on this.

Last edited by flightrisk : 04-13-2008 at 09:08 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:46 PM   #6
sinanju

Quote:
I guess I spoke to soon. The problem is back, sporadically. Yes, CCI=0x02 when I see the problem now.

I checked my recordings on the affected channel (CBS), and a recording from earlier this month indeed says it's restricted; although earlier recordings (~10) from December 2007 do not have this.

So I think the possibilities are:
(a) Comcast has started restricting CBS to CCI=0x02 in Philly,
(b) Comcast messed up the pairing,
EDIT: Could this be caused by a bad signal?

Anything else? I'm not looking forward to trying to get help from Comcast on this.
In this case, it would be A and B. It's the 0x02 that causes the screen to pop up when tuning using an unpaired card. So, there are two components to the cure:

(a) CBS should not be 0x02, ever. Perhaps they're having an intermittent problem -- not likely a signal issue.
(b) Your cards should be properly paired for channels that are legitimately marked 0x02.
sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 08:45 AM   #7
flightrisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinanju View Post
In this case, it would be A and B. It's the 0x02 that causes the screen to pop up when tuning using an unpaired card. So, there are two components to the cure:

(a) CBS should not be 0x02, ever. Perhaps they're having an intermittent problem -- not likely a signal issue.
(b) Your cards should be properly paired for channels that are legitimately marked 0x02.
Thanks for the leads... I clearly need to do some more reading about cablecard pairing. I thought they had to pair the card so I could receive upper tier channels, e.g. ESPN.

Is it possible that Tivo is "misreading" a CCI flag? I can't believe there wouldn't be complaints somewhere if this was a widespread problem.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:32 AM   #8
demon
BURNINATOR

It's not really plausible (I can't say it's not *possible*... just very unlikely) that it'd be misreading the CCI byte; extensive checksumming is used in this sort of data, so the CCI byte is almost certainly just being set incorrectly at the head-end (probably someone was setting it for another nearby channel, and happened to do the same for CBS; as mentioned, since it is OTA, it should *never* be flagged as 0x02 (copy once), but 0x00 (copy freely)). However, it's not uncommon for providers to enable a card without fully pairing it in their system, if they're not using all the restriction options provided to them - it just happens that (at least with SA cards) it has some... unexpected side effects.
demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:04 PM   #9
jdev2119

Got it fixed today! My channels 26-62 were showing the grey screen, everything else was working fine. Comcast said that somehow the "Host ID" and "Data" values either changed or were entered incorrectly on their end. These numbers can be found by going to Tivo Central > Messages & Settings > Account & System Information > CableCARD Decoders > Configure CableCARD 1 (Multi-Stream) > CableCARD Menu > CableCARD(tm) Pairing.
The Conditional Access screen still shows "Auth:FWK" on some channels, "Auth:S" on others. But I can tune to them all without having to first go to the grey screen.
jdev2119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #10
Kenji

Quote:

Anyone else see this?
I used to see this for the local Comcast Sports Net Plus channel (410). I put up with it for awhile because dealing with Comcast is usually painful. Eventually, however, I suddenly lost my HD HBO, which required a visit from Comcast. It turns out that they had mis-paired my cable cards, and when they fixed that, I no longer had the grey screen for channel 410.

In other words, it was a Comcast problem and not a TiVo problem, for me at least.