TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-27-2011, 05:54 PM   #1471
jfh3

I left them as mbr. don't think the Tivo bios supports anything else, but don't know for sure.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:36 PM   #1472
whompus60

I know the external was not mbr. We also know the system is proprietary file system mfs. It seems to use multiple partitions (kinda like a database) on the drive for application's and media. It also works with an external like it is the same drive, kinda like an extension. If I remember right, mbr is limited to 4 or less partitions. That leads me to suspect the system could be a modified version of an older apple type scheme.
whompus60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 12:00 AM   #1473
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by whompus60 View Post
I know the external was not mbr. We also know the system is proprietary file system mfs. It seems to use multiple partitions (kinda like a database) on the drive for application's and media. It also works with an external like it is the same drive, kinda like an extension. If I remember right, mbr is limited to 4 or less partitions. That leads me to suspect the system could be a modified version of an older apple type scheme.
MBR is limited to 4 primary partitions, one of which can be an extended which can contain logical partitions.

Tivos, however, have used a version of the Apple Partition Map.

The APM has a limit of 2 binary TB per drive, and, I've read, 64 partitions, one of which is the Map itself.

It also has the peculiarity of declaring any unpartitioned space as an "Apple Free" partition.

TiVo's software apparently only accomodates a maximum of 16 partitions per drive.

The way TiVo treats external drives is, if I'm not mistaken, somewhat different from the way it treated second internal drives on the Series 1 and Series 2 models, which, being IDE/PATA based, could easily use the Master/Slave setup.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #1474
vhavard

Seagate ST2000DL003

Took one of these drives out of an external esata case to try to use it in my Premier, but as previously reported by another user, it would boot erratically looking very much like the intellipark problem with not being able to boot after a soft reset.

Just an FYI, don't get this drive if you're trying to do an upgrade.
vhavard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:57 PM   #1475
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhavard View Post
Took one of these drives out of an external esata case to try to use it in my Premier, but as previously reported by another user, it would boot erratically looking very much like the intellipark problem with not being able to boot after a soft reset.

Apparently the newer Seagate drives just don't play well with S3 and S4 TiVos (and of course are too big for S2s and S1s).

Old 03-31-2012, 08:35 AM   #1476
GoEagles

I'm interested in using a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB SATA 3.0Gbps 3.5" Desktop Internal Hard Drive. Can I use this for a TiVo Premiere or must I use a WD drive?

Thanks!
GoEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #1477
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoEagles View Post
I'm interested in using a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB SATA 3.0Gbps 3.5" Desktop Internal Hard Drive. Can I use this for a TiVo Premiere or must I use a WD drive?

Thanks!
You might be better off using that Seagate as one big NT partition in a computer running TiVo Desktop.

Seagates are getting mixed reviews in S3s and S4s lately.

What's the exact model number on the sticker, and if it was a boxed retail purchase, what's the exact model number on the box?

You might be better off using that Seagate as one big NT partition in a computer running TiVo Desktop.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:12 AM   #1478
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhavard View Post

I have an ST1500DL001 1.5TB that I pulled out of a Seagate FreeAgent external and it boots ok after a jmfs copy/expand/supersize from the original drive, haven't tried a soft reboot. This is a 2-year old Barracuda Green 5900rpm drive with (I think) advanced format and 64MB cache. It has what Seagate calls a 'SmartAlign' feature which is supposed to handle 512-to-4k sector mappings for OS' that don't support 4k sectors.

I really don't care if it hangs on soft reboot, personally, since it boots fast from a cold one and the only time if should soft reboot is after a software upgrade. The only question is how long the Seagate drive will last in a Tivo.

FWIW, I bought it from Staples for $70 net last week so it's a cheap way to get a 1.5TB drive if anyone is interested (buy the item from staples.com with a $25 off $75 coupon from e-junkie.com, then price match to Amazon at $90 after order is placed).
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 10:16 AM   #1479
GoEagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post

Seagates are getting mixed reviews in S3s and S4s lately.

What's the exact model number on the sticker, and if it was a boxed retail purchase, what's the exact model number on the box?

I am not sure, this is the item at MicroCenter I am interested in getting, for $70 or so for a 1.5TB drive, it's worth looking into:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0372925
Old 03-31-2012, 10:29 AM   #1480
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoEagles View Post
I am not sure, this is the item at MicroCenter I am interested in getting, for $70 or so for a 1.5TB drive, it's worth looking into:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0372925
Refurbished, OEM, 90 day warranty?

I'd keep looking.

I don't know if this will work in a TiVo, but it's the same capacity, new, and cheaper

http://www.compusa.com/applications/...ku=TSD-1500AS3

I tried checking Amazon, but their search results are horribly polluted with drives of the wrong size and enclosures and other junk.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:52 AM   #1481
GoEagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
I have an ST1500DL001 1.5TB that I pulled out of a Seagate FreeAgent external and it boots ok after a jmfs copy/expand/supersize from the original drive, haven't tried a soft reboot. This is a 2-year old Barracuda Green 5900rpm drive with (I think) advanced format and 64MB cache. It has what Seagate calls a 'SmartAlign' feature which is supposed to handle 512-to-4k sector mappings for OS' that don't support 4k sectors.

I really don't care if it hangs on soft reboot, personally, since it boots fast from a cold one and the only time if should soft reboot is after a software upgrade. The only question is how long the Seagate drive will last in a Tivo.

FWIW, I bought it from Staples for $70 net last week so it's a cheap way to get a 1.5TB drive if anyone is interested (buy the item from staples.com with a $25 off $75 coupon from e-junkie.com, then price match to Amazon at $90 after order is placed).
I'm just made at myself because I saw a 2TB upgrade kit for $160 on eBay and didn't buy it now. $169 for a hard drive is pricey, but if the seagate can work, I want to try to use it.
Old 04-01-2012, 05:54 PM   #1482
curiousgeorge

Trying to see if the WD5000AADS I have laying around will work in a Premiere with JMFS, and also if the intellipark still has to be disabled with WDidle to make it work (if it works at all). Anyone have experence with this actual drive? I see a lot that are close, but not this one (except in a S3 post).

Thanks in advance!
curiousgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #1483
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
Trying to see if the WD5000AADS I have laying around will work in a Premiere with JMFS, and also if the intellipark still has to be disabled with WDidle to make it work (if it works at all). Anyone have experence with this actual drive? I see a lot that are close, but not this one (except in a S3 post).

Thanks in advance!
You can run wdidle3 against it and see what happens.

I don't know of a reason why it won't work, and why jmfs can't add a partition, although if I were going to go to the trouble I'd go with a 2TB if budget permitted.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:24 PM   #1484
curiousgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
You can run wdidle3 against it and see what happens.

I don't know of a reason why it won't work, and why jmfs can't add a partition, although if I were going to go to the trouble I'd go with a 2TB if budget permitted.
500GB = free (I have it from a pull off a computer). 2TB = $$$ OOP.

The earlier green WD drives had intellipark that used to mess up TiVo and cause it not to boot. I was just trying to skip the wdidle step if it wasn't necessary anymore.
curiousgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:33 PM   #1485
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
500GB = free (I have it from a pull off a computer). 2TB = $$$ OOP.

The earlier green WD drives had intellipark that used to mess up TiVo and cause it not to boot. I was just trying to skip the wdidle step if it wasn't necessary anymore.
http://www.ngohq.com/news/19805-crit...reen-hdds.html

Old 10-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #1486
mobouser

Hi just upgraded my TIVO using the method outlined here. I also used jzab.de/content/wdidle-bootcd. I went from 320g to 2TB WD20EARX. Everything running OK. A little trouble with the iso outlined here for copying. Had to install on an older computer SATA Drives. My latest build is an AMD based A6 CPU with internal graphics and northbridge. I dont know why but it did not work whereas the wdidle program ran OK in dos on that machine did that first. Thanks Paul D
mobouser is offline   Reply With Quote