TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-19-2010, 07:19 AM   #1171
gamo62

Thanks to everyone here who helped me thru the upgrade. After 9 Hours, I now have a 2TB PXL. I had no idea that it took so long, but it is a 1TB native. I suppose if I only had the Premiere, it wouldn't have had taken that long.

But I wasn't in a hurry, and wanted to make sure it was done right. Thanks again!
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 08:01 AM   #1172
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idol View Post
I've been trying to follow the updates to Comer's upgrade tool in this thread, but I want to verify a couple things before I try it out.

The latest jmfs version 104 with supersize will expand a 2 TB drive to around 317 hours?

The issue with the negative counter only occurs when trying to add a second external drive to the system, correct?

Thanks
All correct.

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:32 AM   #1173
gamo62

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamo62 View Post
Thanks to everyone here who helped me thru the upgrade. After 9 Hours, I now have a 2TB PXL. I had no idea that it took so long, but it is a 1TB native. I suppose if I only had the Premiere, it wouldn't have had taken that long.

But I wasn't in a hurry, and wanted to make sure it was done right. Thanks again!
OK. After the service update, I am only able to view Live TV. I cannot go to the menus at all. Pressing the Tivo button does nothing. Any idea what might be going on here? Thanks.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #1174
gamo62

Are there any kickstart codes for the Premiere/XL? I may try that before I recopy the hard drive. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:17 AM   #1175
comer

Quote:
Are there any kickstart codes for the Premiere/XL? I may try that before I recopy the hard drive. Thanks.
Did you try to reboot - as in "disconnect and reconnect the power"?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:06 PM   #1176
Hybrid

Quote:
that happened way back with my series 1 and 2 I was told that tivo does not checksum the update before it's applied, I hope that is no longer the case now days, I also hope you still have the original drive, you might need to redo the drive from the working one.
Hybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:14 PM   #1177
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid View Post
that happened way back with my series 1 and 2 I was told that tivo does not checksum the update before it's applied, I hope that is no longer the case now days, I also hope you still have the original drive, you might need to redo the drive from the working one.
TiVoJerry confirmed that TiVo has checksum built in to all of their updates.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #1178
richsadams

Quote:
As Comer said, try a power cycle (unplug TiVo, wait about 10 seconds for the drive to spin down and plug it back in).

All of the Kickstart diagnostic and repair programs work with the Premiere, although the process is slightly different than with earlier models (scroll down to the bottom of the post for Premiere-specific instructions):

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

However, that would be my last resort. Based on numerous posts about successful upgrades, there's no reason yours shouldn't be successful as well. As Hybrid says, it might take starting over again to get it right.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:00 PM   #1179
Hybrid

thank you comer some real thanks going your way for beer.

I think the % bar indeed has a bug because I accidentally pressed twice the clear button to delete a recording and my % bar went from 4% to 0% even thou I had other recordings in there, I could not get it right until I recovered the deleted show then pressed clear once, yes I could recreate it by doing the same.

if anyone is interested in saving a copy of the image, gzip compressed it a bit while not being awfully painful on the waiting for me "time" gave me 434 minute/7.2 Hrs of course YMMV, I tried lzip,bzip2 but it was going to take around 7 days with the fast compression setting

my image compressed to 239 GiB

I guess most will use the live cd, if anyone wants the command/s I'll edit this
Old 11-19-2010, 01:03 PM   #1180
Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
TiVoJerry confirmed that TiVo has checksum built in to all of their updates.
thanks, I'm glad that's no longer the case.
Old 11-20-2010, 11:04 PM   #1181
meyerovb

WD20EURS AAM adjustment recommended?

I am swapping in a WD20EURS to a Premiere unit. Because it is an AV-GP drive, is it still recommended I modify it's AAM? If so, should I set it to 128?

Drive manufacture date October 13, 2010. With that date, is it recommended I modify anything else on the drive (like intellipark or something else I haven't read about in the forum yet)?

Thanks!
meyerovb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:16 PM   #1182
gamo62

Quote:
As Comer said, try a power cycle (unplug TiVo, wait about 10 seconds for the drive to spin down and plug it back in).

All of the Kickstart diagnostic and repair programs work with the Premiere, although the process is slightly different than with earlier models (scroll down to the bottom of the post for Premiere-specific instructions):

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...23&postcount=2

However, that would be my last resort. Based on numerous posts about successful upgrades, there's no reason yours shouldn't be successful as well. As Hybrid says, it might take starting over again to get it right.
I ended up doing the Kicstart 52 code. For the life of me, all I got was LiveTV. Not even able to get to the menu whatsoever. After the reinstall, everything came up fine. Thanks again.

Are there commands on the CD that will allow a person to back up the image? If not, is there an easy way to do so?
Old 11-21-2010, 12:26 AM   #1183
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by meyerovb View Post
I am swapping in a WD20EURS to a Premiere unit. Because it is an AV-GP drive, is it still recommended I modify it's AAM? If so, should I set it to 128?

Drive manufacture date October 13, 2010. With that date, is it recommended I modify anything else on the drive (like intellipark or something else I haven't read about in the forum yet)?

Thanks!
Welcome to the forum. Since the WD20EURS is an AV dedicated drive the AAM default is already 128. Since the drive was manufactured after 09/15/10 you shouldn't have to tweak the Intellipark timeout setting. You should be good to go as is!
Old 11-21-2010, 12:28 AM   #1184
richsadams

Quote:
I ended up doing the Kicstart 52 code. For the life of me, all I got was LiveTV. Not even able to get to the menu whatsoever. After the reinstall, everything came up fine. Thanks again.

Are there commands on the CD that will allow a person to back up the image? If not, is there an easy way to do so?
Glad to hear things are good. Enjoy!
Old 11-21-2010, 09:30 AM   #1185
meyerovb

Thanks rich!

I'm wondering if the regular green drive with aam adjusted would be the same exact thing as an av-gp, or if there are actual physical differences to the drive?

Also, any chance the premiere can take >2tb drive? Like a WD30EZRSDTL?
meyerovb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #1186
gamo62

Quote:
Thanks rich!

I'm wondering if the regular green drive with aam adjusted would be the same exact thing as an av-gp, or if there are actual physical differences to the drive?

I'm not sure if the file system can support a 3tb drive. Right now the price is prohibitive for a 3tb drive. $259.00 You can get a 2TB for under $100.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:32 PM   #1187
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks rich!

There are differences but as far as TiVo is concerned a WD GP drive with the AAM adjusted to 128 would be equal to WD's AV GP line of drives.

Unfortunately there seem to be partition issues when trying to upgrade any TiVo over the 2TB size. Various vendors were selling 4TB kits (2TB internal/2TB external) however that went away a while back. JMFS author Comer worked on this as well and has run into some snags so recommends against it, at least for now.
Old 11-21-2010, 12:42 PM   #1188
richsadams

Quote:
Right now the price is prohibitive for a 3tb drive. $259.00
LOL. I vividly recall the day that the KS62 hack for adding an eSATA drive to a TiVo Series3 was discovered (long before TiVo added the external plug and play option for the general masses). A bunch of us rushed out and bought the largest bare drives available at the time, 500GB's, and external enclosures (add another $60) to get that "huge" additional recording space! At the time a 500GB Seagate DB35 drive cost, you guessed it, $259...on sale! (Still have it running as a backup drive today!)

I have no doubt that if it would work some folks wouldn't hesitate a moment to slip a 3TB drive into their TiVo...even at that "prohibitive" price.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #1189
comer

Quote:
Thanks rich!

Here's your answer: post #963.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:33 PM   #1190
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
I am swapping in a WD20EURS to a Premiere unit. ..
Thanks for the mention. I see I can get one of those for $120-$130. I'm going to order one immediately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
... Neither as an internal nor as an external drive (the upcoming version of jmfs has an ability to add any drive as external - ala "bless"). ...
So, again, looks like Tivo Premiere is hard-limited to 4T total storage ..
Now THAT is the good news!

Comer, can I ask for some assurance that it's looking like if we do a single 2TB internal upgrade the external 2TB can be added and blessed at a later time while preserving recordings?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #1191
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
Thanks for the mention. I see I can get one of those for $120-$130. I'm going to order one immediately.

Now THAT is the good news!

Comer, can I ask for some assurance that it's looking like if we do a single 2TB internal upgrade the external 2TB can be added and blessed at a later time while preserving recordings?
That was before the "nagative space" bug was discovered, sorry
I don't think I or anyone else beside Tivo can do anything here.
So to answer your question once and for all - yes, you can add an external storage now without losing your recordings. You will experience the "negative space" bug though. Nobody knows if "negative space" is the full extent and the only effect of it.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #1192
richsadams

Apologies for misspeaking earlier...I knew there was an issue with 4TB TiVo upgrades, but if it's only the negative reads on the usage meter, seems like it's not a big deal.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #1193
lessd

Quote:
Apologies for misspeaking earlier...I knew there was an issue with 4TB TiVo upgrades, but if it's only the negative reads on the usage meter, seems like it's not a big deal.
I think the point is not the negative read but if there is something other than that going on that if you did get passed 327 hours of HD programs you may see other problems (like not being able to go past 327 hours etc. and still have the program) The people that first offered that 4Tb option have for some reason stopped, is the only reason the neg read ??

Old 11-21-2010, 06:11 PM   #1194
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I think the point is not the negative read but if there is something other than that going on that if you did get passed 327 hours of HD programs you may see other problems (like not being able to go past 327 hours etc. and still have the program) The people that first offered that 4Tb option have for some reason stopped, is the only reason the neg read ??
Indeed, everyone pulling their 4TB retail option is worrisome and must have some basis in issues and returns they were having of some sort.
Old 11-22-2010, 01:51 AM   #1195
gespears

Hey Comer, the 3tb test you did was with a Segate. Do you think there is a chance it would be different with a WD?

Hmmmm?

Thanks.
gespears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:51 AM   #1196
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Arrow The EASY way to set AAM & Idle Timer on WD drives

The EASY way to set AAM & Idle Timer on WD drives:

I have accidentally stumbled upon an easy way to get your new WD GP or AV-GP drive(s) set up with your desired AAM & Idle Timer settings, WITHOUT HAVING TO MESS AROUND WITH YOUR BIOS SETTINGS!

1. Download the IBM/Hitachi Feature Tool v2.12 - It must be the floppy disk version, that includes an installer that creates the bootable disk. IT MUST BE VERSION 2.12.

2. Download "WDIDLE3.EXE" v1.05 (earlier versions don't work with the newest drives).

3. After creating the Feature Tool bootable disk, simply copy WDIDLE3.EXE to the same disk.

4. Forget about changing your BIOS settings (the SATA/IDE mode settings), as it won't be necessary.

5. With your WD hard drive(s) hooked up, and the floppy disk inserted, power-on your computer. Let the floppy boot up into the Feature Tool software.

6. Use the Feature Tool software to set your desired AAM setting.

7. Exit the Feature Tool software, turn on CAPS LOCK, run WDIDLE3.EXE /? from the command prompt to get the list of options. Set your desired timeout (which should be /D for "Disabled" when the drive is going to be used in a TiVo).

8. Power down, or reboot, depending on what you want to do next. These settings can be changed at ANY TIME, without affecting the data on the drive.

Why does this work? It's because the Feature Tool software loads the appropriate drivers and sets the communication mode in a way that allows changes to be made to the drive's settings.

It's very likely that this can be done with a CD/DVD or flash drive. But, I have not verified that yet.
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #1197
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gespears View Post
Hey Comer, the 3tb test you did was with a Segate. Do you think there is a chance it would be different with a WD?

Hmmmm?

Thanks.
I doubt. Given various issues Tivo has with 2TB barrier and the fact (I reiterated a few times) that 2TB is 4 byte with all bits set (the max number that can be expressed in 4 bytes) of 512-byte blocks - I firmly believe that Tivo just won't work on/with anything larger than 2TB. It's just not made for it.

Old 11-22-2010, 11:42 AM   #1198
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post
The EASY way to set AAM & Idle Timer on WD drives:

I have accidentally stumbled upon an easy way to get your new WD GP or AV-GP drive(s) set up with your desired AAM & Idle Timer settings, WITHOUT HAVING TO MESS AROUND WITH YOUR BIOS SETTINGS!

1. Download the IBM/Hitachi Feature Tool v2.12 - It must be the floppy disk version, that includes an installer that creates the bootable disk. IT MUST BE VERSION 2.12.

2. Download "WDIDLE3.EXE" v1.05 (earlier versions don't work with the newest drives).

3. After creating the Feature Tool bootable disk, simply copy WDIDLE3.EXE to the same disk.

4. Forget about changing your BIOS settings (the SATA/IDE mode settings), as it won't be necessary.

5. With your WD hard drive(s) hooked up, and the floppy disk inserted, power-on your computer. Let the floppy boot up into the Feature Tool software.

6. Use the Feature Tool software to set your desired AAM setting.

7. Exit the Feature Tool software, turn on CAPS LOCK, run WDIDLE3.EXE /? from the command prompt to get the list of options. Set your desired timeout (which should be /D for "Disabled" when the drive is going to be used in a TiVo).

8. Power down, or reboot, depending on what you want to do next. These settings can be changed at ANY TIME, without affecting the data on the drive.

Why does this work? It's because the Feature Tool software loads the appropriate drivers and sets the communication mode in a way that allows changes to be made to the drive's settings.

It's very likely that this can be done with a CD/DVD or flash drive. But, I have not verified that yet.
And then pop your Seals and Crofts cassette in, sit back and relax. Kidding. I actually have a USB floppy drive...somewhere around here. Thanks for the tip(s). I'd imagine it would work with a CD or thumb drive as well (providing the BIOS is set to allow booting from either first ).

I never had to change any BIOS settings to run either program, but I know there are folks that have so it will be great if it works for everyone, on everyone's computer. Nice work.
Old 11-22-2010, 05:01 PM   #1199
NYHeel

Quick question,

Can I use a 2TB drive that I currently have in my TivoHD for a Premiere upgrade with JMFS? Obviously, I don't expect to keep the recordings. Also, if I can, do I need to wipe the drive clean or will JMFS do that for me? Lastly, if I have to do the drive wiping myself, anyone know any good tool for that? Thanks for the help.
NYHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:41 PM   #1200
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYHeel View Post
Quick question,

Can I use a 2TB drive that I currently have in my TivoHD for a Premiere upgrade with JMFS? Obviously, I don't expect to keep the recordings. Also, if I can, do I need to wipe the drive clean or will JMFS do that for me? Lastly, if I have to do the drive wiping myself, anyone know any good tool for that? Thanks for the help.
YES you do not have to do anything to the 2Tb drive just make sure you know what drive is the original as the source and the other drive (2Tb) will be copied to.
But for $99 I would consider a new 2Tb drive to put into a new TiVo.