Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-13-2010, 10:11 PM   #1141
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshlyam View Post
A success!!!

With comer's help in about 5 minute time I have added another 2tb and SuperSize and I have how 5,605 SD hours (640 HD hours) Tivo!

As expected, with 70% of utilization shown in UI before a second upgrade (w/ 2tb internal only) now with 4tb I see a full bar and -290%. Considering that this feature was not available before Premier anyway and I managed for the last 10 years somehow, I can live with this. I will probably pester Tivo to fix it. They don't have to, but just may.

Thank you comer for your hard work! It's very much appreciated.
No problem, enjoy Please do let us know how it behaves in a long run and if you notice any glitches besides the negative bar

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #1142
richsadams

Quote:
A success!!!

With comer's help in about 5 minute time I have added another 2tb and SuperSize and I have how 5,605 SD hours (640 HD hours) Tivo!

As expected, with 70% of utilization shown in UI before a second upgrade (w/ 2tb internal only) now with 4tb I see a full bar and -290%. Considering that this feature was not available before Premier anyway and I managed for the last 10 years somehow, I can live with this. I will probably pester Tivo to fix it. They don't have to, but just may.

Congrats on that...awesome.

FWIW I wouldn't recommend discussing any of this with TiVo. The front line folks wouldn't have a clue and anyone higher would likely not be helpful at all. TiVo has always turned a blind eye to enthusiast's upgrades and the like, however they don't have to. They could easily make our lives a great deal more difficult if they wanted to. So I wouldn't polk the bear unnecessarily.

Enjoy!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 05:41 AM   #1143
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

TiVo just updated their contract terms/conditions/rules/pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post

FWIW I wouldn't recommend discussing any of this with TiVo. The front line folks wouldn't have a clue and anyone higher would likely not be helpful at all. TiVo has always turned a blind eye to enthusiast's upgrades and the like, however they don't have to. They could easily make our lives a great deal more difficult if they wanted to. So I wouldn't polk the bear unnecessarily.

Enjoy!
Agreed!

I hate to post this, but I feel it applies, as many have been waiting on Premiere DIY upgrade options, before ordering/buying one:
TiVo just updated their contract terms/conditions/rules/pricing:
http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/polici...onditions.html

Don't forget to review the MSD parts, as well.
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #1144
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post
Agreed!

I hate to post this, but I feel it applies, as many have been waiting on Premiere DIY upgrade options, before ordering/buying one:
TiVo just updated their contract terms/conditions/rules/pricing:
http://www.tivo.com/abouttivo/polici...onditions.html

Don't forget to review the MSD parts, as well.
I have an allergy to legalese. Any particular points to read?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-14-2010, 10:41 AM   #1145
comer

Quote:

Enjoy!
I hope WD makes "My Expander" in capacities more than 1T. That will make Tivo move

Old 11-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #1146
retiredqwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
No problem, enjoy Please do let us know how it behaves in a long run and if you notice any glitches besides the negative bar
Comer,

I tried to add my 1TB WD DVR Expander to my 2TB and it would never load. It went thru the gyrations; the thumbs and enter, rebooting but it just kept recycling back to the beginning. I gave up after 3 tries. Then when I disconnected the sata cable the Premiere rebooted and went on its merry way.

I was just curious.....

Scotty

THD 1.5TB Seagate = 237 hrs HD
Premiere WD20EVDS = 317 hrs HD.
XL4 = 318 hrs HD
retiredqwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:03 PM   #1147
craiggers14

Long story...but I messed up the copying process and now my upgraded drive (1TB WD Green made in June 2010) hangs at the boot screen in my premiere. I definitely left it to boot for nearly an hour...Is anyone willing to share their saved copy of the 320gb image?

Thanks in advance.
craiggers14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:36 PM   #1148
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by craiggers14 View Post
Long story...but I messed up the copying process and now my upgraded drive (1TB WD Green made in June 2010) hangs at the boot screen in my premiere. I definitely left it to boot for nearly an hour...Is anyone willing to share their saved copy of the 320gb image?

Thanks in advance.
You don't have your original drive anymore?

Old 11-14-2010, 02:40 PM   #1149
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredqwest View Post
Comer,

I tried to add my 1TB WD DVR Expander to my 2TB and it would never load. It went thru the gyrations; the thumbs and enter, rebooting but it just kept recycling back to the beginning. I gave up after 3 tries. Then when I disconnected the sata cable the Premiere rebooted and went on its merry way.

I was just curious.....

Scotty
Quite possible it is one of the manifestation of the 2TB limit. You can add your external drive by means of JMFS, however. PM me if interested.

@all: I do not post the "add external" method in the guide, because it most definitely leads to the known glitch. By asking me about it via PM, you implicitly acknowledge that you know what you are doing, are willing to be a guinea pig and understand the consequences.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:57 PM   #1150
craiggers14

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
You don't have your original drive anymore?
I moved it to the tivo HD that I have...already overwrote it with the image from the original 160gb drive.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #1151
joesebastian

Quote:
A success!!!

dshlyam,
What external 2tb enclosure and hard drive model did you use? I will PM comer for the instructions but want to make sure I have the hardware.

Thanks!
joesebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #1152
dshlyam

Quote:
Originally Posted by joesebastian View Post
dshlyam,
What external 2tb enclosure and hard drive model did you use? I will PM comer for the instructions but want to make sure I have the hardware.

Thanks!
I had multiple Tivos over the last 3-4 years working great with some of the cheapest enclosures out there. Right now I'm using xtrastor esata enclosure, but I'm pretty sure almost any other enclosure will do. (I just did a quick search and check ebay item 130407248341. I used to buy these for about $15 shipped, but it seems that the price went up a little bit)

As for the drive, I'm using WD WD20EARS that have been on sale for about $80 lately, but again many other drives should do just fine.

Essentially being a cheapskate, I usually go for the cheapest solution. I strongly recommend reading the drive expansion FAQ.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:41 PM   #1153
ckgoodwin
Remember

Another successful upgrade

Just wanted to say yet another thanks to Comer for making and maintaining the jmfs isos. Yesterday I upgraded my stock Premier to 2TB using an $89 WD20EARS (mfg 9/17). It took about 4hrs and 45 mins to copy the factory drive over (source on eSata, target on sata-USB adapter). Expanded and supersized and am now at 317 hrs HD. No problems with soft reboots. Sweet!

I went ahead and sent over a contribution to your beer fund via the Donate button Comer. Many thanks...

- Chris
Sony SATT60 | 3.1.1 | Expanded - 174 hrs (Retired)
ckgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:06 PM   #1154
gamo62

Hey guys. I have a couple of questions about hard drives? Microcenter has a good deal on the Barracuda LP ST320005N4A1AS 2TB 5900 RPM drive. I also see a Spinpoint and the WD Caviar Green WD20EARS drive. They are all about the same price within $5.00. Which one should I go with? Thanks!
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:38 PM   #1155
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamo62 View Post
Hey guys. I have a couple of questions about hard drives? Microcenter has a good deal on the Barracuda LP ST320005N4A1AS 2TB 5900 RPM drive. I also see a Spinpoint and the WD Caviar Green WD20EARS drive. They are all about the same price within $5.00. Which one should I go with? Thanks!
It seems that the drive manufacturer of choice here is WD. Nothing particularly wrong with others, just no statistic, everybody is using WD

Old 11-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #1156
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckgoodwin View Post
Just wanted to say yet another thanks to Comer for making and maintaining the jmfs isos. Yesterday I upgraded my stock Premier to 2TB using an $89 WD20EARS (mfg 9/17). It took about 4hrs and 45 mins to copy the factory drive over (source on eSata, target on sata-USB adapter). Expanded and supersized and am now at 317 hrs HD. No problems with soft reboots. Sweet!

I went ahead and sent over a contribution to your beer fund via the Donate button Comer. Many thanks...

- Chris
Thanks for the valuable model and manufacture date info. Good to know that you didn't have to run wdidle3.exe to adjust the Intellipark timeout. So far September 15th still seems to be the magic date where the soft reboot issue is no longer an issue.

Enjoy your "new" TiVo!
Old 11-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #1157
richsadams

Quote:
As Comer mentions, the WD drives are top of the list. I'd avoid the Samsung drives based on a couple of years of issues with 1TB upgrades...although a few folks have them in service others have not been so lucky and they've never been on the recommended list.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:57 PM   #1158
gamo62

I just bought the WD WD20EARS 2tb Green Drive with a date of 10-17-2010? Am I good regarding the Intellipark issue? And also, will this drive allow me to adjust the Acoustic management? Thanks.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:37 PM   #1159
richsadams

Quote:
I just bought the WD WD20EARS 2tb Green Drive with a date of 10-17-2010? Am I good regarding the Intellipark issue? And also, will this drive allow me to adjust the Acoustic management? Thanks.
Yes...it looks like you won't have to deal with the Intellipark issue since the drive was manufactured after 9/15/10. Also yes, you can adjust the AAM to 128 (quietest setting) with hddscan. (BTW you can do that at any time...before or after upgrading the drive.)
Old 11-16-2010, 01:28 AM   #1160
gamo62

Quote:
Yes...it looks like you won't have to deal with the Intellipark issue since the drive was manufactured after 9/15/10. Also yes, you can adjust the AAM to 128 (quietest setting) with hddscan. (BTW you can do that at any time...before or after upgrading the drive.)
Thanks for the info. I bought the drive, adjusted the AAM to 128, am patiently waiting on the new unit to arrive. The supersize option on comer's file? Is that for internal as well as external? or the other way around? I've created a Boot CD with the file, and have done a dry run boot. It gets to the looking for a Tivo drive portion. I'm hoping everything else is as easy as it has been upto this point. Thanks again.
Old 11-16-2010, 01:35 AM   #1161
craiggers14

Quote:
I moved it to the tivo HD that I have...already overwrote it with the image from the original 160gb drive.
Anyone out there with any other suggestions?
Old 11-16-2010, 09:21 AM   #1162
ilkevinli

I think your only option would be to buy a drive on ebay that has the image for the premiere on it.

Quote:
Anyone out there with any other suggestions?

ilkevinli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #1163
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

So why is the Intellipark setting such a big deal for a Tivo? I have two of the drives running in a NAS with no problems.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bai Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:02 AM   #1164
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bai Shen View Post
So why is the Intellipark setting such a big deal for a Tivo? I have two of the drives running in a NAS with no problems.
On some TiVos with some WD Intellipark drives the TiVo would not do a soft re-boot, a hard re-boot was no problem, but a soft reboot happens each time TiVo updated the software and the TiVo would never finish the boot unless you unplugged the unit, so if you were not home your TiVo would not be record anything until you got home saw the problem and unplugged the TiVo.

Old 11-16-2010, 11:58 AM   #1165
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
On some TiVos with some WD Intellipark drives the TiVo would not do a soft re-boot, a hard re-boot was no problem, but a soft reboot happens each time TiVo updated the software and the TiVo would never finish the boot unless you unplugged the unit, so if you were not home your TiVo would not be record anything until you got home saw the problem and unplugged the TiVo.
And the assumption is that during a soft reboot TiVo goes just long enough without poking the drive that it parks itself and then Tivo can't handle booting with the parked drive. (Maybe some timing thing goes wrong, or the drive kick back a temporary error while it's spinning back up and TiVo doesn't handle it correctly)

But the TiVo just sits there without ever moving on to booting the TiVo App off the drive.

A longer delay or disabling Intellipark (so it doesn't trigger during a soft reboot) works around the problem. Presumably adding a more robust error handling to TiVo's boot sequece would be the proper fix, but it's not one upgraders can do themselves.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #1166
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

Interesting.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bai Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:56 PM   #1167
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I bought the drive, adjusted the AAM to 128, am patiently waiting on the new unit to arrive. The supersize option on comer's file? Is that for internal as well as external? or the other way around? I've created a Boot CD with the file, and have done a dry run boot. It gets to the looking for a Tivo drive portion. I'm hoping everything else is as easy as it has been upto this point. Thanks again.
Supersize only applies to internal drives. Since you're going to upgrade your Premiere's internal to 2TB's, it looks like you don't want to go down the external path. There are apparently issues with anything >2TB's.

Happy upgrading!
Old 11-16-2010, 09:59 PM   #1168
Mgnyc11

I successfully upgraded to a 2 TB drive. This was the drive I purchased for a $90 special.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136514

Only issue I had was my CD was corrupt because I burned the ISO over the network and while it booted up successfully the copy did not work. Otherwise 2.5 hrs later I have more recording space than I know what to do with!

Thanks so much Comer!

Last edited by Mgnyc11 : 11-16-2010 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Thanks
Mgnyc11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:14 AM   #1169
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgnyc11 View Post
I successfully upgraded to a 2 TB drive. This was the drive I purchased for a $90 special.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136514

Only issue I had was my CD was corrupt because I burned the ISO over the network and while it booted up successfully the copy did not work. Otherwise 2.5 hrs later I have more recording space than I know what to do with!

Thanks so much Comer!
Enjoy!

Old 11-18-2010, 10:49 PM   #1170
Idol

I've been trying to follow the updates to Comer's upgrade tool in this thread, but I want to verify a couple things before I try it out.

The latest jmfs version 104 with supersize will expand a 2 TB drive to around 317 hours?

The issue with the negative counter only occurs when trying to add a second external drive to the system, correct?

Thanks
Idol is offline   Reply With Quote