TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-01-2010, 09:08 PM   #1111
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
I have to investigate if supersize has anything to do with that ...
Yep, supersize just became a number 1 suspect Just expaned and added 2T internal + 320G external with no supersize. Used space bar shows 14% just as it's supposed to (I had 99% of 320G full). Supersized that combination - shows -13% I'll prove it conclusively after I try 2T + 1.5T. But it's 90% certain at this point.
Do not panic, I have some ideas

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 09:10 PM   #1112
richsadams

Quote:
Yep, supersize just became a number 1 suspect Just expaned and added 2T internal + 320G external with no supersize. Used space bar shows 14% just as it's supposed to (I had 99% of 320G full). Supersized that combination - shows -13% I'll prove it conclusively after I try 2T + 1.5T. But it's 90% certain at this point.
Awesome work...difficult as it is, we all appreciate it!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:21 PM   #1113
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Wow! You obviously did not go to enough concerts in your younger days!
And that is what really sucks. I got hearing damage in one ear around 5 or 6 years ago because I could not find my sonic earplugs. So like a dumbass I went without any hearing protection. I figured a normal concert at 60 minutes would be fine, but the one we went to lasted over 2.5 hours and I ended up with the hearing damage to that ear since it was directly facing where all the sound was coming from.
So even though that one ear has hearing damage, the frequencies put out by the hard drives and fans are unaffected in that ear which is really annoying.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:35 AM   #1114
lessd

Quote:
This may have been covered in 1000 or so posts in this thread but I just used your tool to expand a TPXL to 2Tb, took 7 hours to copy the original 1Tb disk but the expand worked without any flaws and the TPXL booted up having 301 HD record hours (some 2500 SD record hours). It's run overnight without problems. The TPXL has 14.6 software.
As with others thanks so much for your great work on this Comer.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #1115
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
This may have been covered in 1000 or so posts in this thread but I just used your tool to expand a TPXL to 2Tb, took 7 hours to copy the original 1Tb disk but the expand worked without any flaws and the TPXL booted up having 301 HD record hours (some 2500 SD record hours). It's run overnight without problems. The TPXL has 14.6 software.
Enjoy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:22 AM   #1116
Shagger

FYI there are some INSANE drive deals going on over at Newegg:

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1040359/

2TB drives for $80 ?!?!?
Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:22 PM   #1117
aaronwt
HD Addict

I think it might be time to replace some more of my 1.5TB drives in my WHS.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:16 PM   #1118
richsadams

Quote:
Nice Les...congrats!
Old 11-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #1119
comer

I have released jmfs with Supersize.
I am pretty sure Supersize is not responsible for the negative percentage of Used Space Bar. Basically, Tivo has a problem with any extent larger than 2TB. Be it a single drive internal or external, or logical partition. In my experiment with 2TB+320G drives, the total space available for recordings without Supersize was a little smaller than 2TB, actually (TivoClips, not been restricted, take 10% of the recording space). With Supersize (TivoClips restricted to 10G) the total space was just over 2TB.
I don't think we can do anything here, besides pressing Tivo for update. And I highly doubt they will do anything about it, so if you want everything to work correctly - you are limited to 2TB for the time being. However, I think this negative space glitch is pretty harmless. I recorded a few shows, it went from -13% to -15%, but recordings played fine. Let me know if you want to experiment and contribute to long-term test study - I'll show you how to add an external drive

Old 11-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #1120
jbell73

Quote:
Very cool! Thank you for the hard work.

Quick question - If someone has already done the upgrade, and they use the updated JMFS boot CD to just enable the supersize feature, or is this only for new drive upgrades?

-Jeff
jbell73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:33 AM   #1121
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell73 View Post
Very cool! Thank you for the hard work.

Quick question - If someone has already done the upgrade, and they use the updated JMFS boot CD to just enable the supersize feature, or is this only for new drive upgrades?

-Jeff
Just like it was - Supersize can be applied at any time. So just connect your drive, boot and choose "Supersize" from the menu

Old 11-07-2010, 01:03 PM   #1122
lessd

Quote:
Just like it was - Supersize can be applied at any time. So just connect your drive, boot and choose "Supersize" from the menu
I just tried it on my 2Tb disk in my TPXL and the record hours went to 317 from 301. This did not change any of the stuff on the hard drive (programs etc.)

Super great job Comer

Last edited by lessd : 11-08-2010 at 02:06 PM.
lessd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:10 PM   #1123
Cspot

Quote:
I just tried it on my 2Tb disk in my TPXL and the record hours went to 317 from 301. This did not change ant of the stuff on the hard drive (programs etc.)

Super great job Comer
That's good to hear...doing an upgrade to 2tb this week.
Cspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 12:20 AM   #1124
joesebastian

Quote:
Just ran supersize on a TP 2TB drive. Just awesome!!

Before SS:
290 HD or 2543 SD hours in Tivo system Info
22% recording percentage showing in My Shows

After SS:
317 HD or 2779 hrs in Tivo sys info
20% in my shows

Thanks Comer for your excellent work!!!

Joe
joesebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #1125
harry99
dls956

[quote=moyekj;8209216]Well looks like I got the wrong Hitachi Deskstar 1TB unit. The model is:
HDS721010CLA332
I hooked it up to SATA on a computer at work and ran the Hitachi utility and it states that Acoustic Management is not supported for this drive. In fact there were hardly any features at all to toggle for this drive. Guess that explains why HDDScan had the AAM setting greyed out for the drive as well.

I had a similar problem - ordered same model Hitachi Deskstar 31000replacements for my THDs - both thru Amazon online 10 days apart - first one was thru CompUSA, the second thru pcbay to save $5. Both came in the exact same box with correct model labels, but both internal labels gave a different part number - the Compusa one was a 11/2009 manufacturing date and the pcbay was a 4/2010 date. I used the hddscan program to set AAM - the one from Compusa came up with the original model number and allowed me to set it to 128. The second one came up with the HDS721010CLA332 model and the AAM was greyed out. The second drive is a little noisier than the first - so am using the first one in the bedroom and the second in the living room where I don't really notice the noise. Anyway, both are working fine.
harry99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:41 PM   #1126
lickwid

Good job Comer. I'll have to give it a shot in the coming days. Hopefully won't have to crack my TiVo open after this.
lickwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:58 AM   #1127
SMWinnie
Dis Member

Compare EVDS/EARS

I've read the thread twice and I'm not sure there's an authoritative answer. Is there any advantage in a Premiere to the EVDS over an EARS with AAM set to 128?
    ), PLS, CC) x 2
SMWinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 10:11 AM   #1128
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMWinnie View Post
I've read the thread twice and I'm not sure there's an authoritative answer. Is there any advantage in a Premiere to the EVDS over an EARS with AAM set to 128?
If you do not consider "tuned for Audio/Video always-on applications" (EVDS) an advantage - then no.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #1129
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMWinnie View Post
To add my two-cents...in TiVo's case? No.
Old 11-12-2010, 07:59 PM   #1130
davidahn

Upgrade TiVos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshlyam View Post
I was about to upgrade my 7 Tivos (S3 and HD, all 2tb) to Premier, but would rather wait if it's a major pain to easily expand to 4tb later.
7 TiVo Premieres ($199 x 7 = $1400) plus lifetime service even at their current special of $199 each = $2800. Are you made of money, or is there a way to transfer your lifetime membership without paying TiVo?

I have a SINGLE S3 I was going to upgrade to 2 Premieres but didn't want to pay to transfer S3 to S4 (and waste the S3's lifetime). Is there something I'm missing?

David
davidahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:15 PM   #1131
wesbc

Quote:

BTW the 4K sector build in WD's GP 1TB drives haven't presented any problems for TiVo Series3's, HD's or HDXL's. AFAIK no one has reported any issues with the 2TB models either.

Happy upgrading!
Does that mean Advance Format Drive is ok to use. So with an EARS drive, do we need to set the jumper or leave it as it is setup to use advance formating?

Thanks
wesbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #1132
simon7

Quote:
Although WD's 2TB hard drives have less than a year of history it would be apparent by now if they had a major problem. Historically there have been hard drives that were obviously problematic and when that happens there are no doubts. The Seagate 1.5TB drive comes to mind. There were literally thousands of reports of problems all over the Internet from the day that they were released. Firmware updates and replacements calmed things down after a few months but a lot of folks still steer clear of them.

So I can understand the concern but looking back the reports of DOA or failed drives is about the same per capita as those for the 1TB models which are widely used by TCF members. The ratings on newegg are four out of five and the same goes for Amazon. As wp746911 mentioned, one thing to keep in mind is that the general public doesn't take the time to rate products and those that do have often had problems so negative reports can really skew things.

Samsung drives on the other hand have never been recommended for TiVo due to their spotty record of performance. There a a few folks using their 1TB Spinpoint drives but there are many more reports of problems either after they were in use for a while or in a number of cases that they wouldn't even boot up. That happened to yours truly a while back. The drive is working fine as a backup but I never could get it to work in a TiVo HD.

FWIW the 1TB WD10EARS is a two-platter drive and the 2TB WD20EARS is a three-platter drive.

Your call of course, but based on the positive experiences of WD's 1TB GP drives over the period of a couple of years, the positive feedback about the 2TB models on this thread (and other forums) as well as current ratings I wouldn't hesitate to use them.

BTW the 4K sector build in WD's GP 1TB drives haven't presented any problems for TiVo Series3's, HD's or HDXL's. AFAIK no one has reported any issues with the 2TB models either.

Happy upgrading!
Thanks for the reply Rich. Based on your advice I was holding off on the 2TB Samsung drive, but caught it on sale for $59 from Newegg (Shell-shocker w/coupon code that was gone quick!). It just got here, and I'm really tempted to try it in the Premiere (otherwise it will be for backup). I just formatted it and tried a few file copies and it is already very quiet and under Windows. Not sure if I should try to mess with AAM using the Hitachi tool or just leave well enough alone.

BTW, the overall feedback on the preferred WD seems average, but it hit a patch where everything went very, very negative. Maybe they had a production run problem. So far the Samsung drive has been above average, with but with less history. I hear what you are saying though about long-term reliability on the WD drives. I have a 1TB WD in my THD and it has been absolutely great -- but I really think it can be model specific.
simon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:14 AM   #1133
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbc View Post
Does that mean Advance Format Drive is ok to use. So with an EARS drive, do we need to set the jumper or leave it as it is setup to use advance formating?

Thanks
There have been reports of people using the AF (EARS) drives without any problems. I haven't seen one instance, thus far, of anybody being unsuccessful, in using them.

That jumper is a subject I have not seen (or just can't recall it) being discussed here at TCF.

One very important thing about that jumper: Once the jumper is installed, it must remain installed for the rest of the drive's life.

It is also described as being there as a way to provide full compatibility, and partition alignment, with Windows XP. There is no mention of using the jumper for other partition types.

So, I would strongly advise against using the jumper, if the drive is ever to be used in a TiVo. I'd even advise against using it under any other circumstances, since there is a bootable alignment utility CD available, that won't make permanent changes to the drive and limit what you can use it for in the future.

I skimmed the WD website before posting this, to make sure I was recalling correctly. Have a look, here: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/advancedformat/
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:22 AM   #1134
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesbc View Post

Thanks
No jumpers, as is.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:10 AM   #1135
wesbc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post
There have been reports of people using the AF (EARS) drives without any problems. I haven't seen one instance, thus far, of anybody being unsuccessful, in using them.

That jumper is a subject I have not seen (or just can't recall it) being discussed here at TCF.

One very important thing about that jumper: Once the jumper is installed, it must remain installed for the rest of the drive's life.

It is also described as being there as a way to provide full compatibility, and partition alignment, with Windows XP. There is no mention of using the jumper for other partition types.

So, I would strongly advise against using the jumper, if the drive is ever to be used in a TiVo. I'd even advise against using it under any other circumstances, since there is a bootable alignment utility CD available, that won't make permanent changes to the drive and limit what you can use it for in the future.

I skimmed the WD website before posting this, to make sure I was recalling correctly. Have a look, here: http://www.wdc.com/en/products/advancedformat/
Hi, thanks for the detail info. I have an HP media smart running WHS which does not support the advance format and the jumper is required for optimum performance as the alignment software doesn't quite work with WHS. I'm aware that current os Vista and Windows 7 supports the advance formating and with the older os the jumper or alignment utility must be used for optimum performance. Just wasn't sure about TIVO. But with so many reporting success without the jumper I guess that is the way to go.
wesbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #1136
Cspot

Another successful upgrade thanks to Comer's work.

Used the wd20ears, wdidle3'd the drive, then copied, expanded, supersized (rev104) in roughly 2 1/2 hours, result 317 hrs.
Cspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 04:17 PM   #1137
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post
7 TiVo Premieres ($199 x 7 = $1400) plus lifetime service even at their current special of $199 each = $2800. Are you made of money, or is there a way to transfer your lifetime membership without paying TiVo?

I have a SINGLE S3 I was going to upgrade to 2 Premieres but didn't want to pay to transfer S3 to S4 (and waste the S3's lifetime). Is there something I'm missing?

David
That's a heck of a deal compared to what I paid in the Spring.

How does one get the $199 Lifetime? I still have one box on monthly(the rerst are lifetime). I plan on selling an XL with Lifetime and keeping the regular Premiere and getting Lifetime on it.

EDIT: I didn't realize they were still only charging me $6.95 a month with no commitment. I thought it was supposed to be $9.95 a month.
Since it's only $6.95 a month I might as well keep it on monthly unless I can convince them to give me Lifetime for $150. Otehrwise at $6.95 a month it will take me 3.5 years to break even if I paid for Lifetime at $300. even at $200 it would take almost 2.5 years.

I guess I'll be selling one XL, staying on monthly, and upgrading the drive to 1TB.

Although I want to make sure I keep two boxes with the original drives that have been untouched.

Last edited by aaronwt : 11-13-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:44 PM   #1138
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
That's a heck of a deal compared to what I paid in the Spring.

How does one get the $199 Lifetime? I still have one box on monthly(the rerst are lifetime). I plan on selling an XL with Lifetime and keeping the regular Premiere and getting Lifetime on it.
Some people who have the $199 upgrade offer for lifetime on their account have been successful talking TiVo reps over the phone into applying it to hardware bought elsewhere.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:05 PM   #1139
dshlyam

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidahn View Post

David
Well, considering that I can sell S3 with 2,777 hours and lifetime for about $600 each on eBay, it's essentially a wash, even after overhead. In fact I even have a $50 left over for a keyboard remote.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:04 PM   #1140
dshlyam

5,605 hours Tivo!

A success!!!

With comer's help in about 5 minute time I have added another 2tb and SuperSize and I have how 5,605 SD hours (640 HD hours) Tivo!

As expected, with 70% of utilization shown in UI before a second upgrade (w/ 2tb internal only) now with 4tb I see a full bar and -290%. Considering that this feature was not available before Premier anyway and I managed for the last 10 years somehow, I can live with this. I will probably pester Tivo to fix it. They don't have to, but just may.

Thank you comer for your hard work! It's very much appreciated.