TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-18-2010, 11:08 PM   #991
t1voproof

I don't think DVR Dude is a Tivo employee. His Ebay listing ships from Virginia and I imagine most Tivo employees are in California.
t1voproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:59 PM   #992
jmill

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp746911 View Post
gotta love the 'thanks' some people give to comer for his countless selfless hours he has spent helping us out...
Hate to say it, but some people are idiots. Comer is a great guy and I truly mean it.

In any case, let's keep discussion on topic. As was mentioned above, all whining and random thoughs need to go into different thread.
jmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:12 AM   #993
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
Do you know where DVRDudes got his information?
What if it was leaked or stolen from TiVo employee's?
What if he is a TiVo employee?

Oh my

- Rich
Quote:
Originally Posted by t1voproof View Post
I don't think DVR Dude is a Tivo employee. His Ebay listing ships from Virginia and I imagine most Tivo employees are in California.
From what I gather, there are 2 or 3 people that have overcome the Premiere drive expansion problem, with an employee of Weaknees being perhaps the first to do so. I say 2 or 3 people (or maybe even only 1, but I don't think so), with the possibility of DVRDude being the same Weaknees employee, and comer. I honestly believe all solutions now available were created independently through hard work and effort.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 07:57 AM   #994
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamo62 View Post
Well, that's your fault for paying. You did have other options as does everyone on here. Please take your own advice. Off we go now...
What options were there in the Spring?

(Not that I'm condoning anyone to tell someone to "STFU" which I think is rather rude. Especially with all the work that Comer has done and shared with everyone)
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:55 AM   #995
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
... with the possibility of DVRDude being the same Weaknees employee, and comer.
Ahh! Plot thikens! I don't know how to prove it, even if I should, but here's my word - I am not DVR_dude, nor am I have any connection to Weaknees, DVR Upgrade, Tivo or any other commercial enterprise related to all or any of the above. Except that I own a Tivo device and have a valid lifetime subscription, of course

The old command-line guide is
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:10 AM   #996
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
Ahh! Plot thikens! I don't know how to prove it, even if I should, but here's my word - I am not DVR_dude, nor am I have any connection to Weaknees, DVR Upgrade, Tivo or any other commercial enterprise related to all or any of the above. Except that I own a Tivo device and have a valid lifetime subscription, of course
D'oh! That's all they needed! Expect the TIMBs (TiVo Men In Black) to be at your doorstep any moment now!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #997
dshlyam

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoh View Post
Comer I sincerely hope you don't try and steal DVRDudes work. I have paid him for his work and until you can do what he did without his help you should STFU.
Unbelievable...

I know I'm adding fuel to this and patronizing the troll, but I just have to say something...

To answer donnoh in kind, WTFRU to tell someone to STFU? What have YOU done to help the community? Are you sad that you're not even smart to follow a few simple steps to upgrade your Tivo yourself and keep all your recordings and settings and had to actually pay DvrDude through the nose to get an expanded drive? Better yet, pay for 2 drives? (IMO, if I HAD to have an expanded drive before it could be done for free thanks to Comer, I would've gotten ONE drive and cloned as many times as I need it, but it just me.) Buying TWO drives proves to me that you're a not technically competent person, which is OK in itself but you have no business dissing others who doing a great service to the community.

You suggest that something is being stolen perhaps. Do you have a qualification as an IP attorney? Do you know who's "stealing" from whom? Have you considered that DvrDude and others maybe engaging in the same "stealing" by reverse engineering of Tivo's IP?

(BTW, I do not think either DvrDude, Weaknees, Comer or anyone else here is really doing anything improper, just saying that if you want to go down the rabbit hole, it's possible to construe that anyone who examines or modified Tivo devices is "stealing", i.e. based on DCMA. It is OK then to "steal" from Tivo but not from the DvrDude, aka "the thief" under this theory? AGAIN, note the quotations marks, as I don't think anyone is really stealing anything at all, just trying to point a fallacy in donnoh's argument)

I thank that DvrDude is doing a great service and that he should not be afraid that free tools will ever take away his business... While world is full of people like donnoh, his business model is safe. What is sad is that people like Comer will eventually get upset and go do something more rewarding that trying help unappreciative folks like donnoh.

P.S. Is "donnoh" a iNet slang for "don't know"? If so, it's very fitting, IMO.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:52 AM   #998
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
...with the possibility of DVRDude being the same Weaknees employee, and comer.
My fault for poor syntactical grouping. I was inferring DVRDude and Weaknees tech of possibly being one in the same, and the second person being you.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #999
lickwid

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Understood. It's quite possible that hddscan hasn't caught up with the 2TB drives...or may never, it's hard to say and the old HTF program may only work on 1TB or smaller drives as well. I could had sworn that I remember some folks being able to adjust the AAM on the 2TB Hitachi drives though...but it's becoming a blur anymore.

It'll be good to know if you're successful...making you a bit of a TiVo Pioneer yourself!
I just wanted to update that I haven't found a way to get the new Hitachi 2TB drive to enable AAM. It seems that it is disabled within the firmware. I even e-mailed Hitachi support and they confirmed as much. It's louder than the stock drive, but I'll live with it for now.
lickwid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:03 PM   #1000
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
D'oh! That's all they needed! Expect the TIMBs (TiVo Men In Black) to be at your doorstep any moment now!

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:54 PM   #1001
donnoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshlyam View Post
Unbelievable...

I know I'm adding fuel to this and patronizing the troll, but I just have to say something...

To answer donnoh in kind, WTFRU to tell someone to STFU? What have YOU done to help the community? Are you sad that you're not even smart to follow a few simple steps to upgrade your Tivo yourself and keep all your recordings and settings and had to actually pay DvrDude through the nose to get an expanded drive? Better yet, pay for 2 drives? (IMO, if I HAD to have an expanded drive before it could be done for free thanks to Comer, I would've gotten ONE drive and cloned as many times as I need it, but it just me.) Buying TWO drives proves to me that you're a not technically competent person, which is OK in itself but you have no business dissing others who doing a great service to the community.

You suggest that something is being stolen perhaps. Do you have a qualification as an IP attorney? Do you know who's "stealing" from whom? Have you considered that DvrDude and others maybe engaging in the same "stealing" by reverse engineering of Tivo's IP?

(BTW, I do not think either DvrDude, Weaknees, Comer or anyone else here is really doing anything improper, just saying that if you want to go down the rabbit hole, it's possible to construe that anyone who examines or modified Tivo devices is "stealing", i.e. based on DCMA. It is OK then to "steal" from Tivo but not from the DvrDude, aka "the thief" under this theory? AGAIN, note the quotations marks, as I don't think anyone is really stealing anything at all, just trying to point a fallacy in donnoh's argument)

I thank that DvrDude is doing a great service and that he should not be afraid that free tools will ever take away his business... While world is full of people like donnoh, his business model is safe. What is sad is that people like Comer will eventually get upset and go do something more rewarding that trying help unappreciative folks like donnoh.

P.S. Is "donnoh" a iNet slang for "don't know"? If so, it's very fitting, IMO.
Peace
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #1002
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lickwid View Post
I just wanted to update that I haven't found a way to get the new Hitachi 2TB drive to enable AAM. It seems that it is disabled within the firmware. I even e-mailed Hitachi support and they confirmed as much. It's louder than the stock drive, but I'll live with it for now.
That's very good info. AFAIK they are still good drives, but not as quiet as stock TiVo drives as you point out, so that may be okay for some but might dissuade others. Duely noted for future reference.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:52 PM   #1003
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
They're heeeerrrrre!
Old 10-19-2010, 10:38 PM   #1004
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by myblubu View Post
My drive arrived today! - Manufacture date is 9/22/10 - Do you think I'm safe regarding the Intellipark feature??? How should I verify?
Quote:
The only way to fnd out would be to perform the upgrade, install the drive and see if it will reboot from a menu restart. If not (or if it doesn't boot up at all) then you'll probably need to run wdidle3 to extend or disable the Intellipark timeout. Not very scientific, but that's about it.

Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by myblubu View Post
Thanks for both responses! I was just wondering if I should disable intellipark anyway, so both comments came in handy. Thanks!
any update?
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 01:49 AM   #1005
gespears

Hey Comer,

Any fruits of your labor to enable the expasion drive after putting a 2tb in the TP? I read somewhere (maybe earlier in this thread) that some of the people who had originally sold the 4TB expansion (2 internal and 2 external) had been having problems with this configuration.

Anybody know any more about this? I think it would be interesting to keep up with this for those of us that might want to expand even further later.

Thanks.
gespears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #1006
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gespears View Post
Hey Comer,

Any fruits of your labor to enable the expasion drive after putting a 2tb in the TP? I read somewhere (maybe earlier in this thread) that some of the people who had originally sold the 4TB expansion (2 internal and 2 external) had been having problems with this configuration.

Anybody know any more about this? I think it would be interesting to keep up with this for those of us that might want to expand even further later.

Thanks.
Do you mean - add an external drive?
I am currently moving data from 2T drive in NAS to the new 3T drive to have 2T drive for testing. Meanwhile, I used smaller drives - like original 320G + 100G laptop SATA They work fine it seems. I know new recordings went onto the external, because the internal drive was 99% full.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:06 AM   #1007
gespears

Yes Comer, that's what I meant. Sounds like you're having some success. That's good news. What's the status of the 3 TB?
Old 10-21-2010, 07:21 AM   #1008
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gespears View Post
Yes Comer, that's what I meant. Sounds like you're having some success. That's good news. What's the status of the 3 TB?
Here

Old 10-22-2010, 02:44 AM   #1009
gespears

Quote:
Sorry, read your post too quickly. I thought it said you were working with it again for the TiVo. I thought maybe you found a way around the issue noted before.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:22 AM   #1010
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Okay, did the upgrade overnight, it appeared to work fine. Used a WD 2TB Green drive.

Popped it back into my Premiere, and it's now hung at "Just a few minutes more."

Any ideas?

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:20 AM   #1011
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post
Okay, did the upgrade overnight, it appeared to work fine. Used a WD 2TB Green drive.

Popped it back into my Premiere, and it's now hung at "Just a few minutes more."

Any ideas?
Everybody is receiving 14.6 tonight, may be that's what it is doing? Is it still stuck? Try rebooting again.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:21 AM   #1012
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Everybody is receiving 14.6 tonight, may be that's what it is doing? Is it still stuck? Try rebooting again.
I just checked, it seems fine now. I guess it just took forever?

Thanks again for all your hard work!

!
Old 10-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #1013
Cspot

Quote:

Any ideas?
which drive was it, wd20ears or wd20evds?
Cspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:02 AM   #1014
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cspot View Post
which drive was it, wd20ears or wd20evds?
Not sure, have both. Probably EARS though.

!
Old 10-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #1015
comer

Quote:
Oh, I see where this is going The next question would be - did you disable IntelliPark on your drive(s)?

Old 10-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #1016
richsadams

Quote:
I received 14.6 a couple of weeks ago and it did take "forever" to boot up...staying on the "Just a few minutes more screen" for quite a while. I happened to replace my router the same day and when I tried a network test on my TiVo's noted that both had a "Pending restart" notice. I pulled the plug and had them update immediately.

I haven't upgraded the internal drive on the Premiere XL yet, so can't speak to the possibility of an issue but it looks like only one member ran into any problems. Fingers crossed.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #1017
KenVa

I got 14.6 a couple days ago and everything seems fine with my wd20evds drive that I had previously upgraded to. And no I didn't do the IntelliPark. I forgot about it and after I had it in use I didn't feel like reopening it again since everything included doing a restart seemed to be fine.
KenVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:05 AM   #1018
moyekj

Has anyone tried comer's Linux Live upgrade method with a SATA-eSATA or SATA-USB adapter? Only computer I have at home is a laptop which is why I ask. I upgraded an S3 using WinMfs before without any problems using it. I guess the real question is will Linux drivers recognize a SATA drive attached to such an adapter?
Even if it does I suppose if you are essentially doing drive mirroring then you have 2 have 2 adapters - 1 for source drive and 1 for destination, so I guess that wouldn't work either. So short of having enough space to copy the source drive to file I guess this is out of the question?

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:09 AM   #1019
Cspot

Quote:
that works....thanks!
Cspot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:16 PM   #1020
dshlyam

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Has anyone tried comer's Linux Live upgrade method with a SATA-eSATA or SATA-USB adapter? Only computer I have at home is a laptop which is why I ask. I upgraded an S3 using WinMfs before without any problems using it. I guess the real question is will Linux drivers recognize a SATA drive attached to such an adapter?
Even if it does I suppose if you are essentially doing drive mirroring then you have 2 have 2 adapters - 1 for source drive and 1 for destination, so I guess that wouldn't work either. So short of having enough space to copy the source drive to file I guess this is out of the question?
I guess it depends on a specific hardware, but using Comer's boot CD I was able to copy 5 Tivos running in parallel on 3 different PCs with different configs. Lenovo laptop with built in eSATA (second drive via USB), the Toshiba M5 laptop with generic PNY eSATA CardBus adapter and another PC via USB only. Everything was recognized and worked like a charm. Expect the process to take about twice as long with UBS in mix though, but it's to be expected.