TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-16-2010, 06:38 PM   #961
kturcotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
Perhaps you would be interested to know that all of your donations - thank you very much - (and my birthday money) went into acquiring a 3TB seagate drive mentioned here earlier (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-580-_-Product). I guess that was a good news. The bad news is that it can not be used in Tivo. Neither as an internal nor as an external drive (the upcoming version of jmfs has an ability to add any drive as external - ala "bless"). I tried straight image of a stock 320G on it as an internal, without any expasion tricks - Tivo goes into boot-waitaminute-boot-waitaminute loop. If used externally Tivo does not recognize it - "your external storage has been disconnected, press CLEAR to remove". It feels very much like BIOS or hardware limitation or incompatibility. Linux on a PC sees the whole 3T capacity without a problem connected through SATA directly. W7 sees the drive as ~700G only connected through generic SATA-USB. However, through Seagate's stock USB dock the drive is seen correctly as 2794G on the same Winodws.
So, again, looks like Tivo Premiere is hard-limited to 4T total storage
That's too bad, but thanks for letting us know.
Hopefully they fix this with the Series 5, ESPECIALLY UHD is out by then! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_H...ion_Television
kturcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:32 AM   #962
gespears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post
How many hours did the original drive show?

If I am reading your posts correctly, you either copied a DVR_Dude type drive and got an equal copy, or you managed to gain hours, exceeding the current maximum with Comer's method, after you made the clone. In either case, this is great news, as long as there were no problems introduced.

So how was your original 2TB drive prepared? Was it a pre-imaged drop-in, or was it made with Comer's tools?

I'll bet that, in either case, if you could get the MFS file system partition data, from both drives, and post it, it may shed some light on a way to get everybody that extra storage that has been elusive to the DIY community.

I know that it may not be something you really want to do, but "doing that little extra and sharing the pertinent data" is how we thrive here.
It was s DVR Dude drive. If DVR Dude has no objections I can post the MFS file. But it's up to him.
gespears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:16 AM   #963
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Arrow U can Clone a Premiere "DVR_Dude" 2TB drive, using Paragon Drive Copy, using raw mode

Quote:
Originally Posted by gespears View Post
It was s DVR Dude drive. If DVR Dude has no objections I can post the MFS file. But it's up to him.
Well, I can't see him giving his blessing. But, that may not be necessary.

You've posted a way to successfully clone one of his drives (which he can't be happy about, nor can he do anything about), so it's only a matter of time before somebody else uses the same method and willingly posts the MFS data.

Thanks for the original heads-up on a cloning program that works with his drives.

For those that missed that post: Paragon Drive Copy, using raw mode.
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #964
gamo62

Quote:

You've posted a way to successfully clone one of his drives (which he can't be happy about, nor can he do anything about), so it's only a matter of time before somebody else uses the same method and willingly posts the MFS data.

Thanks for the original heads-up on a cloning program that works with his drives.

For those that missed that post: Paragon Drive Copy, using raw mode.
This info won't take too much business away from him. Most of his sales are probably from people who wouldn't spend this much time trying to do it themselves.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:04 PM   #965
gespears

Quote:

I'm sure that Comer's initial copy procedure would copy it as well. I'm too lazy to try and get Linux up and running and was just suggesting a windows based solution to backing up your TiVo drive.

There are already plenty of unscrupulous people trying to sell copies of his drives, so that is nothing new to him as discussed before on this forum. But as stated earlier, he has a devoted following of people who want a quality drive backed by quality service and a warranty. I'm sure there are many, many TiVo owners that would like to expand their TiVo systems storage capacities who would never think or bother to look on a forum such as this to find a way to do it themselves, as well as people like me who would rather not screw with it.
gespears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:18 AM   #966
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Please, let's not clog this thread up with debating/opinions regarding the moral aspects of cloning a DVR_Dude drive, which is where things seem to be headed. There are plenty of other threads already chocked-full of such discussion.

I see now, that what I posted originally, could be misunderstood. I'm not advocating "ripping off" DVR_Dude. I am trying to "put the genie back in the bottle" with this post.

I was just happy, as I always am, when any DIY tools/methods are brought to light. Even if said tools already exist, alternatives are always a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gespears View Post
I'm sure that Comer's initial copy procedure would copy it as well. I'm too lazy to try and get Linux up and running and was just suggesting a windows based solution to backing up your TiVo drive.

There are already plenty of unscrupulous people trying to sell copies of his drives, so that is nothing new to him as discussed before on this forum. But as stated earlier, he has a devoted following of people who want a quality drive backed by quality service and a warranty. I'm sure there are many, many TiVo owners that would like to expand their TiVo systems storage capacities who would never think or bother to look on a forum such as this to find a way to do it themselves, as well as people like me who would rather not screw with it.

Old 10-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #967
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

I'm confused trying to get through this thread...

Is there now a tool available to replace a stock Premiere drive with a 1-2TB drive (e.g. WD Green)?

Or is the only solution to buy from DVRDude?

Thanks in advance!

Multiple S3s, HDs, HDXLs, Premieres - all looking like relics now
TiVo is on it's way out -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
AbMagFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:05 PM   #968
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbMagFab View Post

Is there now a tool available to replace a stock Premiere drive with a 1-2TB drive (e.g. WD Green)?

Thanks in advance!
Yes there is. You need the boot cd of Comer's JavaMFS tool

Or see the step by step instructions from this post

Last edited by Jonathan_S : 10-18-2010 at 03:39 PM.
Jonathan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:07 PM   #969
lessd

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Both options are in this thread, but I would go with DVRDude.

Old 10-18-2010, 02:13 PM   #970
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Both options are in this thread, but I would go with DVRDude.
Except unless I can repair it myself, it's not really an option.

Why would you go with DVR dude?

And would you be willing to share a link to where the DIY option is? I couldn't find it by trolling around, but I gave up quickly...

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Old 10-18-2010, 02:25 PM   #971
comer

Quote:
And would you be willing to share a link to where the DIY option is? I couldn't find it by trolling around, but I gave up quickly...
It's in my signature

The old command-line guide is
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:04 PM   #972
Shagger

Quote:
Except unless I can repair it myself, it's not really an option.

Why would you go with DVR dude?

Thanks!
It's EASY - using Comers utility its so easy, if I can do it, a trained monkey can do it.
Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:22 PM   #973
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagger View Post
It's EASY - using Comers utility its so easy, if I can do it, a trained monkey can do it.
Any idea why that other guy said buying the drive is better?

!
Old 10-18-2010, 03:23 PM   #974
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
It's in my signature
Thanks! Will try it out this weekend.

!
Old 10-18-2010, 03:40 PM   #975
Shagger

Quote:
Any idea why that other guy said buying the drive is better?
Not sure, but it does require a bit of work - getting the drive, turning off the intellipark if needed, opening the Tivo, cloning the drive... For me it was worth it saving the $100 over the price of the XL and getting twice the HD recording time.
Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:51 PM   #976
AbMagFab
What happened, TiVo?

Quote:
Not sure, but it does require a bit of work - getting the drive, turning off the intellipark if needed, opening the Tivo, cloning the drive... For me it was worth it saving the $100 over the price of the XL and getting twice the HD recording time.
Even more so, it means you can do it again if a drive fails.

Can any Premiere drive be used, or does it have to be the specific one from the Premiere you're upgrading? Understand a C&DE would be necessary due to the S/N mismatch.

!
Old 10-18-2010, 03:58 PM   #977
comer

Quote:
Opening the Tivo and installing the drive would still be required for upgrade, wouldn't it?
I think the main point - is that it saves one from connecting the drive to other computer, burning CD, pressing buttons... It scares some people. I don't judge, I am just stating the fact.

Old 10-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #978
comer

Quote:
Can any Premiere drive be used, or does it have to be the specific one from the Premiere you're upgrading? Understand a C&DE would be necessary due to the S/N mismatch.
With that understanding - yes.

Old 10-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #979
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I think I'm one of those people on the fence with the issue.
I'm capable of following instructions and I'm not scared of computers, so I could easily do an upgrade myself.
However, I'm lazy so I could also see going the plug and play route.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #980
teewow

I just bought a Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB (7200rpm) drive for $55. I plan to replace the internal drive.

Any gotchas regarding this drive. Any intellipark stuff I need to do ? Thanks !
teewow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #981
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by teewow View Post
I just bought a Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB (7200rpm) drive for $55. I plan to replace the internal drive.

WOW!! $55 for a 1TB drive now. I paid 5X that for my first 1TB drives which I put in my S3 boxes.(still going strong in them. My girlfriend has two of my original S3 boxes)
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #982
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by teewow View Post

I hope it works is all. I tried using that particular drive to upgrade a TiVo HD and it would never boot up. Others have had some success, yet others have had theirs quit eventually. I don't know what it is about them that causes problems. Based on the ongoing issues with S3 and THD upgrades they have never been included on the recommended HDD upgrade list.

FWIW I'm using the Samsung drive I bought as a computer backup drive and it works fine.

In any case, AFAIK there's nothing else to be done except give it a go. Best of luck!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #983
donnoh

Quote:
Please, let's not clog this thread up with debating/opinions regarding the moral aspects of cloning a DVR_Dude drive, which is where things seem to be headed. There are plenty of other threads already chocked-full of such discussion.

I see now, that what I posted originally, could be misunderstood. I'm not advocating "ripping off" DVR_Dude. I am trying to "put the genie back in the bottle" with this post.

I was just happy, as I always am, when any DIY tools/methods are brought to light. Even if said tools already exist, alternatives are always a good thing.
Comer I sincerely hope you don't try and steal DVRDudes work. I have paid him for his work and until you can do what he did without his help you should STFU.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:10 PM   #984
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnoh View Post
Comer I sincerely hope you don't try and steal DVRDudes work. I have paid him for his work and until you can do what he did without his help you should STFU.
Meeee???

Old 10-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #985
SullyND
L:27-31

Quote:
What? STFU? Seriously? I think you should understand the facts before telling someone who has been doing a lot of hard work, and giving it away for free, to STFU.
SullyND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 07:27 PM   #986
gamo62

Quote:
Well, that's your fault for paying. You did have other options as does everyone on here. Please take your own advice. Off we go now...
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #987
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Thread pollution

Since my first attempt the stop the next two weeks worth of posts in this thread from becoming the same as what has already happened in other threads, I am posting a link to a current thread that has already been taken hostage.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=457568

I know I can't stop this. I know better than to try beyond what I have, at this point. But, I can suggest that there is a better place, and hope that all the moral arguments, venom, and napalm, maybe, just maybe, will migrate there.

Here's keeping my fingers crossed...

Any arguments, venom, or napalm lobbed in my direction, on this thread, will be ignored. I'll be too busy using Paragon Drive Copy (raw mode), to make full backups of my four 2TB TiVos, that were imaged/expanded to 317 HD hours, using FREE tools.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:40 PM   #988
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
You should probably check out this entire thread at MFSLive.org to get an understanding of comer's knowledge on the subject, and the efforts made by comer.

Here's a small chunk:
Quote:
Originally Posted by comer
Now, I did not use mfsadd - as I learned Tivo I wrote my own bits and pieces in Java to quickly examine structures. Bits and pieces came together in time and now I have my own entirely-Java tool.

It won't be hard to adjust mfsadd:
make it SATA compatible (support /dev/sd*)
size = size & ~(minalloc - 1); does not work! because in Premiere data chunk is 20480 which is not a power of 2! The correct way is size = size - (size % minalloc); It is in more than one place!
change FS pointers offset - in Premiere it is 160 instead of 8 as it used to be (zonemap.c: fsmem_base = htonl (*(unsigned int *) (last + 1)) - (sizeof (*last) + htonl (last->num) * 4) + htonl (last->length) * 512 + 512 + 160
check the zone size (it may work, but it's based on pointer size, which may not give the correct result):

now (may or may not work): sizeof (zone_header_64) + 4 + (sizeof (bitmap_header) + sizeof (bitmap_header *)) * (order) + <sizeof ints in bitmaps>; where <sizeof ints in bitmaps> is based on "(bits + 62) / 32" (for the love of God - WHY?)

proposed (proven to give the correct result): sizeof (zone_header_64) + sizeof (bitmap_header) * order + sizeof(int) * order + sizeof(int) * order + <sizeof ints in bitmaps>; where <sizeof ints in bitmaps> is based on "(bits/32) + 1 - (15 / (8 + bits))"

I will backup and examine the structure later. I wonder if Tivo "coalesced" partitions itself or actually combined and created two zones, two partitions as it was but bigger?

EDIT: forgot important point about chunk size
So either:
  • comer can walk the walk, or
  • comer got EXTREMELY lucky talking the talk with the developers of WinMFS/MFSLive/MFSTools and did indeed steal DVRDude's work.

I'm leaning towards the former, and away from the latter...

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:11 PM   #989
RichB

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
You should probably check out this entire thread at MFSLive.org to get an understanding of comer's knowledge on the subject, and the efforts made by comer.

Here's a small chunk:

So either:
  • comer can walk the walk, or
  • comer got EXTREMELY lucky talking the talk with the developers of WinMFS/MFSLive/MFSTools and did indeed steal DVRDude's work.

I'm leaning towards the former, and away from the latter...
Do you know where DVRDudes got his information?
What if it was leaked or stolen from TiVo employee's?
What if he is a TiVo employee?

Oh my

- Rich
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:30 PM   #990
wp746911

gotta love the 'thanks' some people give to comer for his countless selfless hours he has spent helping us out...
wp746911 is offline   Reply With Quote