TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2010, 09:23 AM   #901
comer
Registered User
 
comer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by jterwelp View Post
Perhaps you could talk one of the DVR_Dude or Weaknees upgraders into capturing some information from their hard drive for you to review? I know a lot of people are interested in the SuperSize option because they are wary of the extra noise, heat, space, failure point, etc. involved in adding an external drive.
There are a few here and they ain't talkin'
__________________
Link:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Last edited by comer : 10-06-2010 at 09:32 AM.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #902
jterwelp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
There are a few here and they ain't talkin'
If you asked aaronwt to dump the partition table from one of his DVR_Dude drives, I'd be surprised if he declined.
jterwelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #903
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 14,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by jterwelp View Post
If you asked aaronwt to dump the partition table from one of his DVR_Dude drives, I'd be surprised if he declined.

The DVR Dude drives are in the TiVos now. I will not be opening them up anytime soon unless there is some kind of failure. Ideally I don't like to mess with the hardware in any of my TiVos once the new TV season starts. SInce the TiVos are typically recording on a daily basis.(although with the S3 boxes I was very comfortable with WinMFS and never had any major issues using it, but with the S4 that is a different story and I also don't want to risk screwing anything up)

If I were to open them up, it wouldn't be until the Christmas holidays.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x4
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:18 AM   #904
jterwelp
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The DVR Dude drives are in the TiVos now. I will not be opening them up anytime soon unless there is some kind of failure.
Oh well, it was worth a try!

Comer - is the binary for whatever partition utility you'd want run located on your JMFS Live CD? If so, I'll still hold out hope that someone will be willing to burn that ISO and get this information for us.

Would you be willing to post in the following thread (and/or start a new thread) to try to find a volunteer?
Any DVR Dude 2TB upgrade experimenters?

I think this is worth pursuing because I'd wager that ~30 more hours of HD is an extra week's worth of recording for most people. That's pretty significant.
jterwelp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:13 AM   #905
gamo62
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 415
If anyone here has an image of the PXL and would be willing to share, please PM me. I would like to get a head start before my TiVo arrives, so that I can just put in the new hard drive once it arrives. Thanks.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:35 AM   #906
tgrim1
Registered User
 
tgrim1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Iowa
Posts: 187
I just upgraded mine with a WD20EVDS and Comer's cd worked great!

I did have a problem getting wdidle3 onto a boot disk though. Hirens boot cd customizer didnt work. I dont know if its because I'm running W7-64bit or what but I ended up finding a FreeDos boot cd with wdidle3 already on it here that worked for me. Also found one that has both WDidle3 and TLER utilities here.

timer default was 8sec.
/d option set it for 80min
/s:0 disabled timer

I pretty much followed hotoru's guide on post #860 of this thread except if I would have hit "e" at the expand option it would have exited I believe. I just had to hit "y" to confirm the expansion.

Last edited by tgrim1 : 10-14-2010 at 09:02 AM.
tgrim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:48 AM   #907
zordude
WDW Fan
 
zordude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Malden, MA
Posts: 11,267
TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrim1 View Post
Also found one that has both WDidle3 and TLER utilities here.

timer default was 8sec.
/d option set it for 80min
/s:0 disabled timer
Here is a link to an iso for a boot cd that has wdidle3 1.05 and the /d flag works just fine.

http://www.jamesballenger.com/download/fdoem.iso
__________________
Crotch facing, butt facing, or Anubis style if possible. - jsmeeker
zordude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #908
t1voproof
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 87
I used the wdidle3 from this post: http://www.maxishine.com.au/forums/v...&view=previous

It set to 62 minutes.
t1voproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:46 AM   #909
chinacat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 3
Upgraded to WD Green 2TB drive thanks to Comer's JFMS live CD. Great work!

Can I take the drive out now and run wdidle3, or does that have to be done before copying the contents of my original Tivo drive to the new drive?
chinacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:10 AM   #910
comer
Registered User
 
comer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinacat View Post
Upgraded to WD Green 2TB drive thanks to Comer's JFMS live CD. Great work!

Can I take the drive out now and run wdidle3, or does that have to be done before copying the contents of my original Tivo drive to the new drive?
Congrats! Those are two independent operations - can do in any order.
__________________
Link:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:53 AM   #911
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 249
Post retracted due to NDA and other contractual obligations.

Last edited by tcfcameron : 10-12-2010 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Post retracted due to NDA and other contractual obligations.
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #912
dshlyam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jterwelp View Post
Perhaps you could talk one of the DVR_Dude or Weaknees upgraders into capturing some information from their hard drive for you to review? I know a lot of people are interested in the SuperSize option because they are wary of the extra noise, heat, space, failure point, etc. involved in adding an external drive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
There are a few here and they ain't talkin'
Just a curiosity. Why not ask Spike about this? He knows for a fact and he was always releasing his tools to community so it seems that he would be willing to share the info.
__________________
Daniel
dshlyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 12:56 PM   #913
comer
Registered User
 
comer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshlyam View Post
Just a curiosity. Why not ask Spike about this? He knows for a fact and he was always releasing his tools to community so it seems that he would be willing to share the info.
First, supersize is part of WinMFS, source of which is closed. Second, while working on my tool and researching MFS I posted many questions on MFSLive forum (the spike's site) with no answers whatsoever. So I guess he is not in the mood for cooperation.
__________________
Link:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #914
dshlyam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
First, supersize is part of WinMFS, source of which is closed. Second, while working on my tool and researching MFS I posted many questions on MFSLive forum (the spike's site) with no answers whatsoever. So I guess he is not in the mood for cooperation.
Fare enough. Maybe I'll have better luck? Check you PM on mfslive...

So, I've got my Tivos. Latest WINMFS v 9.3f says that virgin Tivo Premier drive "is not a Tivo drive" and hangs when I try to turn Superzise on. So much for this theory...

Below is my mfsinfo from supersized Tivo S3 with 2 x 1TB drives. It shows 2777 SD hours and 318 HD hours in Tivo GUI. Hope this helps in some way...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mfsinfo (Drive A: 5, Drive B: 6)

Boot Page
Boot Page: root=/dev/hda7
Active Boot Partition: 6 Active Root Partition: 7
Backup Boot Partition: 3 Backup Root Partition: 4

MFS Super Header
state=0 magic=abbafeed
devlist=/dev/hda10 /dev/hda11 /dev/hda12 /dev/hda13 /dev/hda14 /dev/hda15 /dev/hdc2 /dev/hdc3
zonemap_ptr=1121 total_secs=3905172480

Zone Maps
Z0: type=0
map_start=1121 map_size=1 backup_map_start=589822
next_map_start=263266 next_map_size=9 next_backup_map_start=589813
zone_first=1122 zone_last=263265 zone_size=262144 min(chunk)=262144
free=262144 checksum=4fd015d1 logstamp=15478591 num_bitmap=1
Z1: type=2
map_start=263266 map_size=9 backup_map_start=589813
next_map_start=263275 next_map_size=34 next_backup_map_start=589779
zone_first=589824 zone_last=217329663 zone_size=216739840 min(chunk)=20480
free=778240 checksum=a1496c00 logstamp=15478597 num_bitmap=15
Z2: type=1
map_start=263275 map_size=34 backup_map_start=589779
next_map_start=217336832 next_map_size=1 next_backup_map_start=217926655
zone_first=263309 zone_last=589772 zone_size=326464 min(chunk)=8
free=82528 checksum=7d02acc4 logstamp=15478632 num_bitmap=17
Z3: type=0
map_start=217336832 map_size=1 backup_map_start=217926655
next_map_start=217598977 next_map_size=130 next_backup_map_start=217926525
zone_first=217336833 zone_last=217598976 zone_size=262144 min(chunk)=262144
free=262144 checksum=140328ff logstamp=15478591 num_bitmap=1
Z4: type=2
map_start=217598977 map_size=130 backup_map_start=217926525
next_map_start=217599107 next_map_size=34 next_backup_map_start=217926491
zone_first=217926656 zone_last=486544383 zone_size=268617728 min(chunk)=2048
free=6428672 checksum=60f18a87 logstamp=15478627 num_bitmap=19
Z5: type=1
map_start=217599107 map_size=34 backup_map_start=217926491
next_map_start=486544384 next_map_size=66 next_backup_map_start=486546366
zone_first=217599141 zone_last=217926484 zone_size=327344 min(chunk)=8
free=292176 checksum=427633bc logstamp=15478627 num_bitmap=17
Z6: type=2
map_start=486544384 map_size=66 backup_map_start=486546366
next_map_start=1951665152 next_map_size=66 next_backup_map_start=1951667134
zone_first=486546432 zone_last=1951665151 zone_size=1465118720 min(chunk)=20480
free=737280 checksum=6e942032 logstamp=15478627 num_bitmap=18
Z7: type=2
map_start=1951665152 map_size=66 backup_map_start=1951667134
next_map_start=0 next_map_size=0 next_backup_map_start=2863311530
zone_first=1951667200 zone_last=3905172479 zone_size=1953505280 min(chunk)=20480
free=5283840 checksum=ec7f3a1f logstamp=15478627 num_bitmap=18

Partition Maps
#: type name length base ( size )
1 Apple_partition_map Apple 63@1 ( 31.5K)
2 Image Bootstrap 1 1@485366126 ( 512.0 )
3 Image Kernel 1 8192@485366127 ( 4.0M)
4 Ext2 Root 1 524288@485374319 ( 256.0M)
5 Image Bootstrap 2 1@485898607 ( 512.0 )
6 Image Kernel 2 8192@485898608 ( 4.0M)
7 Ext2 Root 2 524288@485906800 ( 256.0M)
8 Swap Linux swap 262144@486431088 ( 128.0M)
9 Ext2 /var 524288@486693232 ( 256.0M)
10 MFS MFS application region 589824@487217520 ( 288.0M)
11 MFS MFS media region 216747657@268618469 ( 103.4G)
12 MFS MFS application region 2 589824@487807344 ( 288.0M)
13 MFS MFS media region 2 268618405@64 ( 128.1G)
14 MFS MFS App by Winmfs 2048@488397168 ( 1.0M)
15 MFS MFS Media by Winmfs 1465118720@488399216 ( 698.6G)

Tivo B drive
1 Apple_partition_map Apple 63@1 ( 31.5K)
2 MFS MFS App by Winmfs 2048@64 ( 1.0M)
3 MFS MFS Media by Winmfs 1953505280@2112 ( 931.5G)

Total SA SD Hours: 2083 Total DTV SD Hours: 1818 0 % Free
Software: 11.0h-01-2-648 Tivo Model: TCD648250B
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
__________________
Daniel
dshlyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #915
dshlyam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by jterwelp View Post
If you asked aaronwt to dump the partition table from one of his DVR_Dude drives, I'd be surprised if he declined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
The DVR Dude drives are in the TiVos now. I will not be opening them up anytime soon unless there is some kind of failure. Ideally I don't like to mess with the hardware in any of my TiVos once the new TV season starts. SInce the TiVos are typically recording on a daily basis.(although with the S3 boxes I was very comfortable with WinMFS and never had any major issues using it, but with the S4 that is a different story and I also don't want to risk screwing anything up)

If I were to open them up, it wouldn't be until the Christmas holidays.
Aside from the fact the aaronwt is afraid of taking the Tivo down for a few minutes to help the community, even if he did, what would be the proper way to dump the relevant partitions info for Tivo Premier? WINMFS mfsview is pretty handy, but won't work at all with Tivo Premier. Aside from this the drive would have to connected to a Linux install or CD boot of some sort, some partition table command (fdisk?) should be run, etc.

Perhaps someone (comer? ) could post what info is required how to obtain it, and then someone else (very) brave with the existing supersized Tivo Premier could run the command and post the results. I would do in a heartbeat, I just don't have the right type of Tivo...
__________________
Daniel
dshlyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 04:57 PM   #916
comer
Registered User
 
comer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshlyam View Post
Perhaps someone (comer? ) could post what info is required how to obtain it, and then someone else (very) brave with the existing supersized Tivo Premier could run the command and post the results. I would do in a heartbeat, I just don't have the right type of Tivo...
Actually, having original TPXL and/or Dvr_dude's disk layout is not that important. I have a pretty good idea what Supersize does, now I need to implement and test the theory (more than one really ). Although having that information would give some ideas on how things may be done. I think I mentioned that the basic info I am interested in (just a partition layout) can be obtained booting jmfs live cd and running mfslayout.sh.
__________________
Link:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #917
myblubu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotoru View Post
Thanks to comer and the others on this forum I have finished upgrade. Things went pretty smooth after some initial difficulty getting wdidle3 (finally borrowed friends PC). Here were the steps I used for anyone else as thick as I.

-Buy a WD20EARS 2TB Drive
-Get a PC box where you can open and access SATA connection
-Check BIOS (on booting) and make sure CD or Floppy is before hard drive in boot order
-Get boot disk (floppy or CD) and burn to disk using Mac or Windows
-Download WD tool and copy/burn to CD/Floppy/or USB Key
-Download Comer's copy tool from here. (the *iso.zip version). Unzip then burn ISO as CD (same as above).
-Make sure your WD20EARS hard drive connected to SATA port on motherboard.
-Put bootdisk CD in drive and boot PC to CD
-Insert media with WDidle3 tool and run with argument "wdidle3 /d" (sans quotes) to disable intellipark feature that might cause early drive failure in TiVo.
-You can re-run WDidle3 without argument ("wdidle3") and should get message saying something like timer is disabled.
-Note percent of free space on TiVo under "My Shows"
-Shutdown and unplug TiVo.
-Open TiVo using torx wrench with #10 bit to remove four screws from back of TiVo(Found online, home improvement, auto parts and sears stores).
-Remove Hard Drive from TiVo by unscrewing four Torx screws (the same size) that holds brackets to main board. Also remove SATA power and Data cable from Drive.
-Install old TiVo drive into PC on SATA port next to your new WD20EARS drive. (Alternatively you could put each drive in a USB drive enclosure to copy via USB)
-Remove bootdisk from drive and replace with Comers Copy CD burned earlier
-Re-Boot the PC (or can use Mac or PC if using USB cables/dock to Copy drives). You should see some Tux Penguins in the top left of monitor.
-You want to select "C" for the copy feature. Follow instructions on screen to select the old 360GB Tivo drive as source and the new 2TB WD drive as destination.
-Copying should take about 2-4 hours.
-When finished select "e" to expand new 2TB drive (if not the new 2TB drive will think it is only a 360GB drive).
-Expansion should only take a few seconds.
-Shut down PC, unplug, and remove both drives from SATA ports.
-Reverse steps and replace TiVo drive with new 2TB WD20EARS drive.
-Plug back in SATA Cable/Power to TiVo drive (I forgot this one first time, doh!). Replace Screws in drive mount bracket and TiVo Cover and screws
-Plug Tivo Cable, internet and power
-Wait for 10 painful minutes while TiVo boots.
-Check "My Shows" and you should see used space percent has dropped (mine went from 55% to 9% :-) )
-If all goes well Donate some $$ as thanks to Comer's efforts for a great CD tool without which I would not have been able to upgrade my drive.

(Thanks to richsadams for input with above guide and all the help from this forum with upgrade)
Let me know if I left out any steps.
Cheers
Awesome compilation of info! Thanks for your hard work!

Just ordered my Premire and also ordered a WD20EARS. I've been reading through the thread and not finished yet, but I do have a couple questions:

When I upgraded my HD to a 1TB drive, I remember having to use a utility to adjust the Automatic Acoustic Management (AAM) setting for the drive down to 128 (I think this was to reduce seek noise), is that something we need to do on this 2TB drive also???

I didn't order an extended warranty with my Premire so it will have the standard 90 day warranty, just wondering if I should wait until after the 90 day warranty to do the upgrade? Any thoughts on that?

Any imput would be appreciated.
myblubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #918
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by myblubu View Post
Awesome compilation of info! Thanks for your hard work!

Just ordered my Premire and also ordered a WD20EARS. I've been reading through the thread and not finished yet, but I do have a couple questions:

When I upgraded my HD to a 1TB drive, I remember having to use a utility to adjust the Automatic Acoustic Management (AAM) setting for the drive down to 128 (I think this was to reduce seek noise), is that something we need to do on this 2TB drive also???

I didn't order an extended warranty with my Premire so it will have the standard 90 day warranty, just wondering if I should wait until after the 90 day warranty to do the upgrade? Any thoughts on that?

Any imput would be appreciated.
The WD20EARS is quiet out of the box, however you can still adjust the AAM down to 128 using hddscan. Depending on the manufacture date you may also have to run wdidle3.exe to extend or disable the timeout of the Intellipark feature to avoid the soft reboot issue. See earlier posts or see Section IV, #29 of the Drive Expansion FAQ:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160

FWIW it's recommended that you run TiVo for at least 30 days to be sure everything is in working order before upgrading, your call of course.

Happy upgrading!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:01 PM   #919
vurbano
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
The WD20EARS is quiet out of the box, however you can still adjust the AAM down to 128 using hddscan. Depending on the manufacture date you may also have to run wdidle3.exe to extend or disable the timeout of the Intellipark feature to avoid the soft reboot issue. See earlier posts or see Section IV, #29 of the Drive Expansion FAQ:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160

FWIW it's recommended that you run TiVo for at least 30 days to be sure everything is in working order before upgrading, your call of course.

Happy upgrading!
So we now can upgrade the Premiere internal drive eh? IMO 1TB is enufff for me. This makes buying the base model much worth it to me.
__________________
1 - Roamio Plus with 3TB upgrade
2 - Tivo mini
vurbano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:07 PM   #920
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
So we now can upgrade the Premiere internal drive eh? IMO 1TB is enufff for me.
That's what I thought, but now my 1TB drive is bumping up against 89%+ used disk space.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:18 PM   #921
myblubu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
The WD20EARS is quiet out of the box, however you can still adjust the AAM down to 128 using hddscan. Depending on the manufacture date you may also have to run wdidle3.exe to extend or disable the timeout of the Intellipark feature to avoid the soft reboot issue. See earlier posts or see Section IV, #29 of the Drive Expansion FAQ:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post5616160

FWIW it's recommended that you run TiVo for at least 30 days to be sure everything is in working order before upgrading, your call of course.

Happy upgrading!
Thanks Rich! You're always a big help!

I took a look at Section IV, #29 and it mentions using the "wdidle3 /S300" command to get: "Idle3 Timer is enabled and set to 300 seconds (5 minutes)."

Comers CD instructions earlier in this tread mention using the WDidle3 tool and run with argument "wdidle3 /d" (sans quotes) to disable intellipark feature that might cause early drive failure in TiVo.


Just wondering which I should use or does it matter?
myblubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:58 PM   #922
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by myblubu View Post
Thanks Rich! You're always a big help!

I took a look at Section IV, #29 and it mentions using the "wdidle3 /S300" command to get: "Idle3 Timer is enabled and set to 300 seconds (5 minutes)."

Comers CD instructions earlier in this tread mention using the WDidle3 tool and run with argument "wdidle3 /d" (sans quotes) to disable intellipark feature that might cause early drive failure in TiVo.


Just wondering which I should use or does it matter?
The default Intellipark setting on WD GP drives is 8 seconds. The "/s300" command sets the timeout to 300 seconds/5 minutes which is enough to keep TiVo from hanging at the "Welcome! Powering up…" screen after a menu restart or OS/firmware update. The "/d" command is intended to disable the Intellipark feature completely and is probably the ideal, but apparently doesn't work on some WD GP drives anymore. So trying the "/d" command would be recommended first and if that doesn't work, "/300" would be fine as well. AFAIK neither will have any effect on the actual life of the hard drive.

It appears that the newest WD GP drives no longer require the Intellipark feature to be tweaked at all. ("Newer" being somewhere around the second week of September or so.) Drives with a manufacture date prior to that often need the tweak. Trial and error is about the only way to find out…or you can just run wdidle3.exe and not worry about it.

As noted although a USB adapter or dock will be sufficient for the rest of the upgrade process, wdidle3.exe requires the new drive to be connected directly to the computer via a SATA port to work.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:17 PM   #923
myblubu
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
The default Intellipark setting on WD GP drives is 8 seconds. The "/s300" command sets the timeout to 300 seconds/5 minutes which is enough to keep TiVo from hanging at the "Welcome! Powering up…" screen after a menu restart or OS/firmware update. The "/d" command is intended to disable the Intellipark feature completely and is probably the ideal, but apparently doesn't work on some WD GP drives anymore. So trying the "/d" command would be recommended first and if that doesn't work, "/300" would be fine as well. AFAIK neither will have any effect on the actual life of the hard drive.

It appears that the newest WD GP drives no longer require the Intellipark feature to be tweaked at all. ("Newer" being somewhere around the second week of September or so.) Drives with a manufacture date prior to that often need the tweak. Trial and error is about the only way to find out…or you can just run wdidle3.exe and not worry about it.

As noted although a USB adapter or dock will be sufficient for the rest of the upgrade process, wdidle3.exe requires the new drive to be connected directly to the computer via a SATA port to work.
Thanks again!

Now, let's hope Newegg sends me a REALLY NEW fresh drive
myblubu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:05 AM   #924
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post
Yes, I have the HD-XL Image. I'll post Before & After "supersize" mfsinfo, using a 2TB WD20EADS drive (as soon as I find the drive. I put it someplace "safe").
Turning supersize on made no difference in MFSinfo, neither did turning it off. Supersize did report success when tuning it on, as well as turning it off. Whatever difference it makes, must not be in the form of anything reported by MFSinfo, but is recognized once the drive is installed into the TiVo.

I tried it with a Series 3 image, HD Image, and HD-XL image. I also tried leaving the swap partition at the WinMFS default of 128MB, as opposed to 1024MB.

The hard drive used is a WD20EADS.

Here's the HD-XL non-supersized:
MFSInfo 2TB HD-XL (non-supersized).txt

Code:
Mfsinfo (Drive 2)

Boot Page
	Boot Page: root=/dev/hda7
	Active Boot Partition: 6  Active Root Partition: 7
	Backup Boot Partition: 3  Backup Root Partition: 4

MFS Super Header
	state=0 magic=ebbafeed
devlist=/dev/hda10 /dev/hda11 /dev/hda12 /dev/hda13 /dev/hda14 /dev/hda15
zonemap_ptr=1121 total_secs=3903336448

Zone Maps
Z0:	type=0
	map_start=1121 map_size=1 backup_map_start=589822
	next_map_start=263266 next_map_size=34 next_backup_map_start=589788
	zone_first=1122 zone_last=263265 zone_size=262144 min(chunk)=262144
	free=262144 checksum=4c831b2c logstamp=17698 num_bitmap=1
Z1:	type=2
	map_start=263266 map_size=34 backup_map_start=589788
	next_map_start=263300 next_map_size=34 next_backup_map_start=589754
	zone_first=589824 zone_last=876642303 zone_size=876052480 min(chunk)=20480
	free=873533440 checksum=f3db8732 logstamp=17706 num_bitmap=17
Z2:	type=1
	map_start=263300 map_size=34 backup_map_start=589754
	next_map_start=876644352 next_map_size=1 next_backup_map_start=877234175
	zone_first=263334 zone_last=589749 zone_size=326416 min(chunk)=8
	free=253296 checksum=633d1dc8 logstamp=17698 num_bitmap=17
Z3:	type=0
	map_start=876644352 map_size=1 backup_map_start=877234175
	next_map_start=876906497 next_map_size=34 next_backup_map_start=877234141
	zone_first=876644353 zone_last=876906496 zone_size=262144 min(chunk)=262144
	free=262144 checksum=dcb8993 logstamp=17698 num_bitmap=1
Z4:	type=2
	map_start=876906497 map_size=34 backup_map_start=877234141
	next_map_start=876906531 next_map_size=34 next_backup_map_start=877234107
	zone_first=877234176 zone_last=1951655935 zone_size=1074421760 min(chunk)=20480
	free=1067868160 checksum=833e13f9 logstamp=17706 num_bitmap=17
Z5:	type=1
	map_start=876906531 map_size=34 backup_map_start=877234107
	next_map_start=1951672320 next_map_size=67 next_backup_map_start=1951674301
	zone_first=876906565 zone_last=877234100 zone_size=327536 min(chunk)=8
	free=321584 checksum=c824a565 logstamp=17698 num_bitmap=17
Z6:	type=2
	map_start=1951672320 map_size=67 backup_map_start=1951674301
	next_map_start=0 next_map_size=0 next_backup_map_start=0
	zone_first=1951674368 zone_last=3903336447 zone_size=1951662080 min(chunk)=20480
	free=1951662080 checksum=f6fa4f logstamp=0 num_bitmap=18

Partition Maps
 #:                  type name                            length base      ( size  )
  1   Apple_partition_map Apple                               63@1         (  31.5K)
  2                 Image Bootstrap 1                          1@1950494126( 512.0 )
  3                 Image Kernel 1                          8192@1950494127(   4.0M)
  4                  Ext2 Root 1                          524288@1950502319( 256.0M)
  5                 Image Bootstrap 2                          1@1951026607( 512.0 )
  6                 Image Kernel 2                          8192@1951026608(   4.0M)
  7                  Ext2 Root 2                          524288@1951034800( 256.0M)
  8                  Swap Linux swap                     2097152@1951559088(   1.0G)
  9                  Ext2 /var                            524288@1953656240( 256.0M)
 10                   MFS MFS application region          589824@1954180528( 288.0M)
 11                   MFS MFS media region             876055257@1074438869( 417.7G)
 12                   MFS MFS application region 2        589824@1954770352( 288.0M)
 13                   MFS MFS media region 2          1074438805@64        ( 512.3G)
 14                   MFS MFS App by Winmfs                 2048@1955360176(   1.0M)
 15                   MFS MFS Media by Winmfs         1951662080@1955362224( 930.6G)

Total SA SD Hours: 2082	Total DTV SD Hours: 1817	100 % Free
Software: 9.4.1-01-2-658	Tivo Model: TCD658000
Here'e the HD-XL supersized:
MFSInfo 2TB HD-XL supersized.txt

Code:
Mfsinfo (Drive 2)

Boot Page
	Boot Page: root=/dev/hda7
	Active Boot Partition: 6  Active Root Partition: 7
	Backup Boot Partition: 3  Backup Root Partition: 4

MFS Super Header
	state=0 magic=ebbafeed
devlist=/dev/hda10 /dev/hda11 /dev/hda12 /dev/hda13 /dev/hda14 /dev/hda15
zonemap_ptr=1121 total_secs=3903336448

Zone Maps
Z0:	type=0
	map_start=1121 map_size=1 backup_map_start=589822
	next_map_start=263266 next_map_size=34 next_backup_map_start=589788
	zone_first=1122 zone_last=263265 zone_size=262144 min(chunk)=262144
	free=262144 checksum=4c831b2c logstamp=17698 num_bitmap=1
Z1:	type=2
	map_start=263266 map_size=34 backup_map_start=589788
	next_map_start=263300 next_map_size=34 next_backup_map_start=589754
	zone_first=589824 zone_last=876642303 zone_size=876052480 min(chunk)=20480
	free=873533440 checksum=f3db8732 logstamp=17706 num_bitmap=17
Z2:	type=1
	map_start=263300 map_size=34 backup_map_start=589754
	next_map_start=876644352 next_map_size=1 next_backup_map_start=877234175
	zone_first=263334 zone_last=589749 zone_size=326416 min(chunk)=8
	free=253296 checksum=633d1dc8 logstamp=17698 num_bitmap=17
Z3:	type=0
	map_start=876644352 map_size=1 backup_map_start=877234175
	next_map_start=876906497 next_map_size=34 next_backup_map_start=877234141
	zone_first=876644353 zone_last=876906496 zone_size=262144 min(chunk)=262144
	free=262144 checksum=dcb8993 logstamp=17698 num_bitmap=1
Z4:	type=2
	map_start=876906497 map_size=34 backup_map_start=877234141
	next_map_start=876906531 next_map_size=34 next_backup_map_start=877234107
	zone_first=877234176 zone_last=1951655935 zone_size=1074421760 min(chunk)=20480
	free=1067868160 checksum=833e13f9 logstamp=17706 num_bitmap=17
Z5:	type=1
	map_start=876906531 map_size=34 backup_map_start=877234107
	next_map_start=1951672320 next_map_size=67 next_backup_map_start=1951674301
	zone_first=876906565 zone_last=877234100 zone_size=327536 min(chunk)=8
	free=321584 checksum=c824a565 logstamp=17698 num_bitmap=17
Z6:	type=2
	map_start=1951672320 map_size=67 backup_map_start=1951674301
	next_map_start=0 next_map_size=0 next_backup_map_start=0
	zone_first=1951674368 zone_last=3903336447 zone_size=1951662080 min(chunk)=20480
	free=1951662080 checksum=f6fa4f logstamp=0 num_bitmap=18

Partition Maps
 #:                  type name                            length base      ( size  )
  1   Apple_partition_map Apple                               63@1         (  31.5K)
  2                 Image Bootstrap 1                          1@1950494126( 512.0 )
  3                 Image Kernel 1                          8192@1950494127(   4.0M)
  4                  Ext2 Root 1                          524288@1950502319( 256.0M)
  5                 Image Bootstrap 2                          1@1951026607( 512.0 )
  6                 Image Kernel 2                          8192@1951026608(   4.0M)
  7                  Ext2 Root 2                          524288@1951034800( 256.0M)
  8                  Swap Linux swap                     2097152@1951559088(   1.0G)
  9                  Ext2 /var                            524288@1953656240( 256.0M)
 10                   MFS MFS application region          589824@1954180528( 288.0M)
 11                   MFS MFS media region             876055257@1074438869( 417.7G)
 12                   MFS MFS application region 2        589824@1954770352( 288.0M)
 13                   MFS MFS media region 2          1074438805@64        ( 512.3G)
 14                   MFS MFS App by Winmfs                 2048@1955360176(   1.0M)
 15                   MFS MFS Media by Winmfs         1951662080@1955362224( 930.6G)

Total SA SD Hours: 2082	Total DTV SD Hours: 1817	100 % Free
Software: 9.4.1-01-2-658	Tivo Model: TCD658000


Last edited by tcfcameron : 10-11-2010 at 09:14 AM.
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #925
comer
Registered User
 
comer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post
Turning supersize on made no difference in MFSinfo, neither did turning it off. Supersize did report success when tuning it on, as well as turning it off. Whatever difference it makes, must not be in the form of anything reported by MFSinfo, but is recognized once the drive is installed into the TiVo.

I tried it with a Series 3 image, HD Image, and HD-XL image.
Thank you for doing this! Yes, "supersize" is not a change in a disk structure - it's a "configuartion" object in Tivo.
__________________
Link:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 09:21 AM   #926
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
Thank you for doing this! Yes, "supersize" is not a change in a disk structure - it's a "configuartion" object in Tivo.
That's what I was thinking, as well. If I remember correctly, from the many hours/days I spent digging around in the WinMFS, MFSLive, and other forums, the original configuration (non-supersized) uses a percentage of the total drive capacity for TiVo "Showcases". When MFS supersize in turned on, it sets the allocation to a set XXGB size, instead of a percentage. I think that the set amount was 10GB, and caused no ill effects, but I'm not 100% sure of the set allocation amount that was deemed "safe".
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #927
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
Thank you for doing this! Yes, "supersize" is not a change in a disk structure - it's a "configuartion" object in Tivo.
Just in case you have any interest, this is what the "Broflovski" image looks like when imaged to the same drive:

MFSInfo 2TB Boflovski Imaged Tivo HD (not yet booted state).txt

Code:
Mfsinfo (Drive 2)

Boot Page
	Boot Page: root=/dev/hda7
	Active Boot Partition: 6  Active Root Partition: 7
	Backup Boot Partition: 3  Backup Root Partition: 4

MFS Super Header
	state=0 magic=ebbafeed
devlist=/dev/hda10 /dev/hda11 /dev/hda12 /dev/hda13 /dev/hda14 /dev/hda15
zonemap_ptr=1121 total_secs=3903336448

Zone Maps
Z0:	type=0
	map_start=1121 map_size=1 backup_map_start=589822
	next_map_start=263266 next_map_size=34 next_backup_map_start=589788
	zone_first=1122 zone_last=263265 zone_size=262144 min(chunk)=262144
	free=262144 checksum=8ac81e70 logstamp=45323 num_bitmap=1
Z1:	type=2
	map_start=263266 map_size=34 backup_map_start=589788
	next_map_start=263300 next_map_size=34 next_backup_map_start=589754
	zone_first=589824 zone_last=876642303 zone_size=876052480 min(chunk)=20480
	free=872714240 checksum=3877c27f logstamp=45397 num_bitmap=17
Z2:	type=1
	map_start=263300 map_size=34 backup_map_start=589754
	next_map_start=876644352 next_map_size=1 next_backup_map_start=877234175
	zone_first=263334 zone_last=589749 zone_size=326416 min(chunk)=8
	free=254560 checksum=301b77a9 logstamp=45479 num_bitmap=17
Z3:	type=0
	map_start=876644352 map_size=1 backup_map_start=877234175
	next_map_start=876906497 next_map_size=34 next_backup_map_start=877234141
	zone_first=876644353 zone_last=876906496 zone_size=262144 min(chunk)=262144
	free=262144 checksum=cb808ccf logstamp=45323 num_bitmap=1
Z4:	type=2
	map_start=876906497 map_size=34 backup_map_start=877234141
	next_map_start=876906531 next_map_size=34 next_backup_map_start=877234107
	zone_first=877234176 zone_last=1951655935 zone_size=1074421760 min(chunk)=20480
	free=1072496640 checksum=721ed43f logstamp=45397 num_bitmap=17
Z5:	type=1
	map_start=876906531 map_size=34 backup_map_start=877234107
	next_map_start=1951672320 next_map_size=67 next_backup_map_start=1951674301
	zone_first=876906565 zone_last=877234100 zone_size=327536 min(chunk)=8
	free=268112 checksum=8cf181f0 logstamp=45479 num_bitmap=17
Z6:	type=2
	map_start=1951672320 map_size=67 backup_map_start=1951674301
	next_map_start=0 next_map_size=0 next_backup_map_start=0
	zone_first=1951674368 zone_last=3903336447 zone_size=1951662080 min(chunk)=20480
	free=1951662080 checksum=f6fa4f logstamp=0 num_bitmap=18

Partition Maps
 #:                  type name                            length base      ( size  )
  1   Apple_partition_map Apple                               63@1         (  31.5K)
  2                 Image Bootstrap 1                          1@1950492736( 512.0 )
  3                 Image Kernel 1                          8192@1950492737(   4.0M)
  4                  Ext2 Root 1                          524288@1950500929( 256.0M)
  5                 Image Bootstrap 2                          1@1951025217( 512.0 )
  6                 Image Kernel 2                          8192@1951025218(   4.0M)
  7                  Ext2 Root 2                          524288@1951033410( 256.0M)
  8                  Swap Linux swap                     2097152@1951557698(   1.0G)
  9                  Ext2 /var                            524288@1953654850( 256.0M)
 10                   MFS MFS application region          589824@1954179138( 288.0M)
 11                   MFS MFS media region             876054528@1074438208( 417.7G)
 12                   MFS MFS application region 2        589824@1954768962( 288.0M)
 13                   MFS MFS media region 2          1074438144@64        ( 512.3G)
 14                   MFS MFS App by Winmfs                 2048@1955358786(   1.0M)
 15                   MFS MFS Media by Winmfs         1951662080@1955360834( 930.6G)

Total SA SD Hours: 2082	Total DTV SD Hours: 1817	100 % Free
Software: 11.0d-01-2-652	Tivo Model: not set in MFS
This image will back-up with WinMFS, once booted and updated, but upon trying to the restore the backup, it will fail.

As stated in the past, this image won't accept turning MFS supersize on. However, it doesn't allow turning MFS supersize off, either.

I get a total of (up to) 318 HD hours when using this image.

Something that makes this image unique, is the "TiVo Model: not set in MFS" notation, and that upon booting, it does some sort of updating, which doesn't involve downloading the newest software (that's the very last update that happens).

Last edited by tcfcameron : 10-12-2010 at 01:30 AM.
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:05 AM   #928
comer
Registered User
 
comer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post
That's what I was thinking, as well. If I remember correctly, from the many hours/days I spent digging around in the WinMFS, MFSLive, and other forums, the original configuration (non-supersized) uses a percentage of the total drive capacity for TiVo "Showcases". When MFS supersize in turned on, it sets the allocation to a set XXGB size, instead of a percentage. I think that the set amount was 10GB, and caused no ill effects, but I'm not 100% sure of the set allocation amount that was deemed "safe".
Almost correct The reserved space is never in percentage, but in KB. But that configuration object also has min and max disk size to which it is applicable. In case of Premiere it is 315/323G and reserved size is 10G. The theory is that once disk is outside of that range, the reserved space size is scaled. For example, if we put 646G disk in place of 320G, the resrved space will actually be 10G * (646G/323G) = 20G. So one can either set the maximum disk size to what really is (or maximum possible), or set the reserved size to something less, or both.
That's what I understand so far
__________________
Link:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #929
comer
Registered User
 
comer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post
As stated in the past, this image won't accept turning MFS supersize on. However, it doesn't allow turning MFS supersize off, either.

I get a total of (up to) 318 HD hours when using this image.

Something that makes this image unique, is the "TiVo Model: not set in MFS" notation, and that upon booting, it does some sort of updating, which doesn't involve downloading the newest software (that's the very last update that happens).
Hm... My guess would be that the whole configuration is trashed - the reserved space, model, serial number etc - so Tivo needs to restore it upon the first boot. That's (probably) why model and disk configuration (reserved space info) are not found. Since disk configuration is not found, it can not be updated either way - up or down.
__________________
Link:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:39 AM   #930
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
Almost correct The reserved space is never in percentage, but in KB. But that configuration object also has min and max disk size to which it is applicable. In case of Premiere it is 315/323G and reserved size is 10G. The theory is that once disk is outside of that range, the reserved space size is scaled. For example, if we put 646G disk in place of 320G, the resrved space will actually be 10G * (646G/323G) = 20G. So one can either set the maximum disk size to what really is (or maximum possible), or set the reserved size to something less, or both.
That's what I understand so far
At least somebody is figuring it all out

I would bet, that once you do, and your freeware allows people to get the same result as a DVR_Dude drive or the other sellers' drives, in a DIY fashion, there will be some heated debating started over the forum sponsors losing money, claims of intellectual property infringement, etc.

I already know where I stand. I know that you have built your software from the ground up. Nobody has offered image snapshots of drives commercially produced/sold. This is really for the best. If you figure it out, all on your own (maybe with a little legitimate help from others), nobody can stop your hard work from being used by the masses.

I thank you, as I'm sure many other do, for all your tenacity and hard work, and letting us use it for free. I'm confident that your solution will be complete with a supersize-like feature in the near future.

As soon as I actually own a Premiere again, I'll be sure to send a token of gratitude your way.

Last edited by tcfcameron : 10-11-2010 at 11:48 AM.
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |