TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-27-2010, 03:15 AM   #781
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thanks Richsadams, I actually did look but didn't see your earlier post, it wasn't even that far back

I will probably do as you suggest, the price is not all that much more.

Z
Old 09-27-2010, 09:31 AM   #782
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by zordude View Post
I will probably do as you suggest, the price is not all that much more.

Z
That was kind of my take on it. Thanks to TCF member Comer the whole process is almost turn-key.

If you find time, can you post the manufacture date of the hard drive you receive and if you had to adjust the Intellipark feature? TIA.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #783
akaussie

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
That was kind of my take on it. Thanks to TCF member Comer the whole process is almost turn-key.

If you find time, can you post the manufacture date of the hard drive you receive and if you had to adjust the Intellipark feature? TIA.
As an FYI, the 2TB Western Digital WD20EARS Caviar Green Desktop Hard Drive is on sale from Amazon for $92.99
http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digita...5601069&sr=1-1

I ordered one from Dell over the weekend, should be here this week and I'll give Comer's process a try.
I am hoping nothing needs to be done regarding the Intellipark. Reading past posts it sounds like it cannot changed/disabled using sata to usb connections, so I'm out of luck there. Fingers are crossed it won't be an issue. Once I've upgraded the drive, if I'm able to reboot at least once without issue, I should be in the clear, correct?
From reading other posts it doesn't sound like it hasn't been a problem, hoping it continues for me.
I'll report back with drive manufacture date, etc once everything is done.
akaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #784
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

A bit off-topic question for you Mr. Adams:
Do you know the System partition sizes for the various TiVo models, or at least the models you've dealt with? Having those sizes would go a long way for kmttg users that want to accurately determine the size to input into the pie chart feature. I'm thinking that (total harddrive size) - (system partition size) = (size to input into kmttg).

You seem to have a pretty good grasp of harddrive replacement, so I figured I'd ask!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:05 AM   #785
hotoru

Cannot Download ISO file

I am having trouble with the download link
http://www.mediafire.com/?znr8p1h4uyn1v
Tried in three different browsers. Chrome and Firefox just seems to ignore, Safari says unable to decompress file. Anyone used the link lately? A trick I am missing?
Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap View Post
Trying the cd now. Great job on this comer. I like how you worded it to explicity explain very clearly what you are doing.

I can't wait to fire the new upgraded TiVo up.

hotoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:12 AM   #786
RichB

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaussie View Post
As an FYI, the 2TB Western Digital WD20EARS Caviar Green Desktop Hard Drive is on sale from Amazon for $92.99

I ordered one from Dell over the weekend, should be here this week and I'll give Comer's process a try.
I am hoping nothing needs to be done regarding the Intellipark. Reading past posts it sounds like it cannot changed/disabled using sata to usb connections, so I'm out of luck there. Fingers are crossed it won't be an issue. Once I've upgraded the drive, if I'm able to reboot at least once without issue, I should be in the clear, correct?
From reading other posts it doesn't sound like it hasn't been a problem, hoping it continues for me.
I'll report back with drive manufacture date, etc once everything is done.
I have upgraded with this drive and soft rebooted a few times with no issues.
It is buttoned up so I do not know the build date.

- Rich
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:29 AM   #787
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotoru View Post
I am having trouble with the download link
http://www.mediafire.com/?znr8p1h4uyn1v
Tried in three different browsers. Chrome and Firefox just seems to ignore, Safari says unable to decompress file. Anyone used the link lately? A trick I am missing?
Thanks,
Just tried it in FF. Works fine
Do you get an error message? How exactly does it not work?

The old command-line guide is
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:54 AM   #788
jbell73

Quote:
Originally Posted by akaussie View Post
Thanks for pointing that out! I had just received my Amazon order @ 109.99 with free 2-day prime shipping. A quick inquiry to customer service, and they have refunded me the $17 price difference!

These things are getting cheap! Makes me regret going with 1TB in my first Premiere.

My 2TB Upgrade worked flawlessly from the stock 320GB drive, but when I first tried to expand my 1TB "DVR_Dude" drive (in an effort to maintain the MFSSuperSize option on that drive for 317 Hrs of HD) the drive booted up complaining that I had removed external storage, and it needed to be reconfigured, and then after a couple of reboots still complained about system errors, and only saw 157 Hrs (original 1TB drive size).

All in all, lesson learned, follow processes that have been proven to work, if you venture off the path you may just end up wasting your time.

-Jeff

When will we have cooperative scheduling?
jbell73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:04 PM   #789
aaronwt
HD Addict

I thought Amazon stopped pricematching except for preordrers?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:14 PM   #790
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell73 View Post
My 2TB Upgrade worked flawlessly from the stock 320GB drive, but when I first tried to expand my 1TB "DVR_Dude" drive (in an effort to maintain the MFSSuperSize option on that drive for 317 Hrs of HD) the drive booted up complaining that I had removed external storage, and it needed to be reconfigured, and then after a couple of reboots still complained about system errors, and only saw 157 Hrs (original 1TB drive size).
Ha! Bullseye! This just proves that those drives use the same technique jmfs does - an extra partition and not the real resize (as it would come from the factory) So when you tried adding another one - it did not sit well with Tivo Which also means those drives are limited to 2T in principle.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #791
jbell73

I just called and asked. I could have just as easily ordered a new one, and returned the new drive on the old order, but this saves everyone a lot of hassle.

Maybe because of the Prime membership?

Old 09-27-2010, 12:30 PM   #792
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
Ha! Bullseye! This just proves that those drives use the same technique jmfs does - an extra partition and not the real resize (as it would come from the factory) So when you tried adding another one - it did not sit well with Tivo Which also means those drives are limited to 2T in principle.
Has anyone tried a 3TB drive yet?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #793
hotoru

Download Successful

Quote:
Just tried it in FF. Works fine
Do you get an error message? How exactly does it not work?
I finally downloaded file. I was getting yellow box that said "Click here to download file". When I clicked I would initially get a d/l statusbar at bottom for 1-2 sec then would go away. Steps I tried included, disabled adblock, disabled flash block, signed up for account at mediafire. None of those seem to work. Lastly I saved the file to my own mediafire page then clicked that link. That seemed to work... strange.
thanks for help.
Old 09-27-2010, 12:54 PM   #794
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I haven't. Theoretically, it should work, but up to 2.3T only.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:17 PM   #795
comer

Quote:
Bill McNeal brought a very good point. What about extending TP-XL drives?

Tha answer is - depending on XL drive layout.

Tivo partition is limited in size by 0xFFFFFFFF * 512 = 2T. The only available process right now is to create an additional partition. So maximum additional space that can be gained is 2T.

I haven't been able to get my hand on an image or "mfslayout" printout (that'd be enough to understand). If the factory partitions are large (0.5T each) - than yes, +2T gives total of 3T.
If it's an additional partition on top of non-XL 320G disk (what jmfs and probably DVR_Dude do) - then no.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:57 PM   #796
Shagger

UGH - Well I ordered my 2TB drive from Dell and received it today. I specifically stayed away from Newegg since everyone says their 'free shipping' is AWFUL. But the Dell shipping was just the drive box in a larger box. NO F***ING PADDING WHATSOEVER! It was probly rattling around in there all the way from Tennessee. Crap, that blows. Well, I guess I will wait and install it this weekend to see if it even boots. On the upside my cable card install was long but successful.
Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:09 PM   #797
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
I thought Amazon stopped pricematching except for preordrers?
I ordered a WD20EARS from Amazon last Thursday for $109.99. I tried getting the difference refunded over chat just a few minutes ago with no success. I then called customer service and they said that they are allowed to price match once for an account. I went ahead and did it although I guess I might have been able to save more on a different purchase later. /shrug
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:13 PM   #798
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagger View Post
NO F***ING PADDING WHATSOEVER! It was probly rattling around in there all the way from Tennessee. Crap, that blows. Well, I guess I will wait and install it this weekend to see if it even boots.
Meanwhile you could run WD diagnostic tool on it to make sure it's ok before you begin

Old 09-27-2010, 03:26 PM   #799
Shagger

Quote:
Meanwhile you could run WD diagnostic tool on it to make sure it's ok before you begin
Yep - doing that now. One more small hiccup - the manufacturer date is Jun 2010. Do I need to disable the Intellipark, and if so, how do I do that?
Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:53 PM   #800
comer

Quote:
Yep - doing that now. One more small hiccup - the manufacturer date is Jun 2010. Do I need to disable the Intellipark, and if so, how do I do that?
Using a utility from WD: wdidle3
About parameters see here.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:31 PM   #801
jbell73

Quote:
... On the upside my cable card install was long but successful.
Really? My Cable Card experiences with Cox Communications have been phenomenal recently. Last visit was maybe 3-5 minutes pop in the M-Card, quick call to their service depot, and then the Cable guy was on his way.

No problems. Original Series 3 and HD took a little longer, but these Premiere's have really just been 5 minute visits.

Maybe I'm lucky, or they are finally figuring the process out.

-JBell73

Old 09-27-2010, 05:34 PM   #802
jbell73

Quote:
My recommendation: Use /S:0 it will then list the feature as disabled. If you use /D it sets it to something like 16 minutes, but it's not truly disabled.

-JBell73

Old 09-27-2010, 06:47 PM   #803
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Post retracted due to NDA and other contractual obligations.

Last edited by tcfcameron : 10-12-2010 at 01:26 AM. Reason: Post retracted due to NDA and other contractual obligations.
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #804
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post
I have saved copies of all the MFSinfo data for every TiVo HD hard drive I have ever imaged, including stock and the Broflovski image. I'm assuming that is the "mfslayout" data you speak of, since it is all about the layout. I know it's not from a Premiere, but would it help?
Well, I won't be 100% sure until I examine TP-XL layout May be richsadams could get a snapshot of mfslayout on his XL drive soon?
Though I think HD-XL should be the same. Do you have that image?

Old 09-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #805
tcfcameron
(4) 2TB TiVo HDs

Post retracted due to NDA and other contractual obligations.

Last edited by tcfcameron : 10-12-2010 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Post retracted due to NDA and other contractual obligations.
tcfcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 11:58 PM   #806
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
A bit off-topic question for you Mr. Adams:
Do you know the System partition sizes for the various TiVo models, or at least the models you've dealt with? Having those sizes would go a long way for kmttg users that want to accurately determine the size to input into the pie chart feature. I'm thinking that (total harddrive size) - (system partition size) = (size to input into kmttg).

You seem to have a pretty good grasp of harddrive replacement, so I figured I'd ask!
Wish I could help you out, but I haven't used MFSlive for a very long time, so I've paid zero attention. A PM to bkdtv might get you the info you need. If not I'm sure Spike at MFSlive.org has the knowledge if you can squeeze it out of him. Or one if the gurus here may come to the rescue.

Best of luck!
Old 09-28-2010, 12:02 AM   #807
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
I have upgraded with this drive and soft rebooted a few times with no issues.
It is buttoned up so I do not know the build date.

- Rich
Oh, c'mon Rich...it's only four screws...oh wait, the drive is mounted upside down too...well, can't blame you. . Glad you're enjoying your "new" TiVo!
Old 09-28-2010, 02:59 AM   #808
hotoru

Flashing WD20EARS with iMac

Quote:
Was thinking of the WD20EARS from Amazon but doesnt look like would be too easy to do this on a mac. I have an older windows XP and a Ubuntu laptops. I should be able to put drive in a external enclosure and flash firmware via USB on the windows laptop? Or should I stick with WD20EVDS? Is it worth the extra $35?
TIA
Old 09-28-2010, 05:47 AM   #809
RichB

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Oh, c'mon Rich...it's only four screws...oh wait, the drive is mounted upside down too...well, can't blame you. . Glad you're enjoying your "new" TiVo!
I am trying out some new fans in the next few days and then I will get off my duff and get the information

- Rich
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:22 AM   #810
alex50

I am looking to replace my premiere's fan as well. Please let us know what replacement you wind up using. If you know the type of fan we should be using (is it 70mm? what depth? tail?), please do post. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
I am trying out some new fans in the next few days and then I will get off my duff and get the information

- Rich

alex50 is offline   Reply With Quote