TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #721
RichB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
IMO you don't have anything to worry about. A number of reports here and elsewhere (with both Premiere, TiVo HD and Series3 upgrades) indicate that the larger hard drives aren't raising TiVo's ambient temperature more than a couple of degrees if at all. (The temperature can be viewed on TiVo's System Information screen at any time). If you avoid high-speed drives (a la, WD Black series or any gaming HDD) you s/b fine. The recommended WD GP and GP AV drives run quite cool and quiet.
It looked like a 50MMx25MM fan to me so I bought a couple.
My new Premiere fan is much quieter so it could be different fan and a defective one.

I will report back later.

- Rich
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #722
Shagger
Registered User
 
Shagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
IMO you don't have anything to worry about. A number of reports here and elsewhere (with both Premiere, TiVo HD and Series3 upgrades) indicate that the larger hard drives aren't raising TiVo's ambient temperature more than a couple of degrees if at all. (The temperature can be viewed on TiVo's System Information screen at any time). If you avoid high-speed drives (a la, WD Black series or any gaming HDD) you s/b fine. The recommended WD GP and GP AV drives run quite cool and quiet.
The drive speed can be 5400 rpm or should it be 7200?
Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #723
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagger View Post
The drive speed can be 5400 rpm or should it be 7200?
TiVo OEM drives are 5400 RPM. They require nothing faster than and there's no performance enhancement with anything more.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #724
comer
Registered User
 
comer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap View Post
Trying the cd now. Great job on this comer. I like how you worded it to explicity explain very clearly what you are doing.

I can't wait to fire the new upgraded TiVo up.
Glad you liked it! I wish more people would test the process
__________________
Link:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

Last edited by comer : 09-22-2010 at 03:17 PM.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #725
comer
Registered User
 
comer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagger View Post
Well I had wanted to upgrade BEFORE I filled it up with recordings so the transfer went quicker. I suppose I should be patient and wait...
You don't miss anything The upgrade time does not depend on recordings. The longest portion is copying data from one disk to another - it will be the same 320G regardless.
__________________
Link:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #726
Shagger
Registered User
 
Shagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
You don't miss anything The upgrade time does not depend on recordings. The longest portion is copying data from one disk to another - it will be the same 320G regardless.
But if the 320GB is empty, it still copies it over? Is that so it is a perfect clone of the original drive?
Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #727
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
I wish more people would test the process
Why do I keep feeling this subtle elbow in my ribs?
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #728
comer
Registered User
 
comer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagger View Post
Is that so it is a perfect clone of the original drive?
Yep Basically, it's much harder (and thus error-prone) to analyze the drive and intelligently copy only used blocks, than to fire-and-forget a copy process for 2 hours
__________________
Link:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #729
Shagger
Registered User
 
Shagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
IMO you don't have anything to worry about. A number of reports here and elsewhere (with both Premiere, TiVo HD and Series3 upgrades) indicate that the larger hard drives aren't raising TiVo's ambient temperature more than a couple of degrees if at all. (The temperature can be viewed on TiVo's System Information screen at any time). If you avoid high-speed drives (a la, WD Black series or any gaming HDD) you s/b fine. The recommended WD GP and GP AV drives run quite cool and quiet.
Even if the ambient Tivo case temp's don't rise that doesn't mean that the drive temp isn't elevated. Regardless, I always like to have a fan blowing directly on any drives I have in my computer cases. Gives me a little better piece of mind. Looks like this will do the trick: http://www.pchcables.com/3pinfeto23pi3.html
Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #730
comer
Registered User
 
comer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagger View Post
Looks like this will do the trick: http://www.pchcables.com/3pinfeto23pi3.html
And hope that motherboard is powerfull enough to drive the double load on the fan header
I would solder to PS directly.
__________________
Link:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #731
cap
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Omaha, NE.
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
Glad you liked it! I wish more people would test the process
Looks like my upgrade is complete. Took between 2 1/2 and 4 hours to do the copy and upgrade. Very slick and easy.

I almost feel like a cheater doing it this way. I had just installed CentOS before you created the cd.

The cd method was INCREDIBLY easy. The only think easier is getting it preloaded.

The bootup process seemed to take a bit longer than I thought. Once it was done loading then the screen was black for longer than I thought. I even checked the HDMI to make sure I plugged it in.
After that there was also a delay playing shows. Probably just an adjustment period, but I'll keep an eye on it.

At any rate thanks for all the work comer. I'll see what I can do about that beer.
__________________
Premier (Lifetime 3/2010)
THD (7/2007)
Series 3 HD (9/2006 Lifetime transferred)
TCD649080 Series 2 (Monthly 7/2006)
DVR-810H Series 2 (Lifetime 1/2004)
cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #732
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Moline, IL
Posts: 4,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagger View Post
Even if the ambient Tivo case temp's don't rise that doesn't mean that the drive temp isn't elevated. Regardless, I always like to have a fan blowing directly on any drives I have in my computer cases. Gives me a little better piece of mind. Looks like this will do the trick: http://www.pchcables.com/3pinfeto23pi3.html
I always thought the idea was to pull the heat away from components, not blow air onto them...
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:42 PM   #733
rdangel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post
I'm not accusing anybody of anything intentional. But, I would not recommend sending an email address that isn't a burn account. I thought I'd be emailed back a link to a hosting site, but was instead emailed by the hosting site directly.

Since I sacrificed a spam free account for the cause, I tried to download the file. 72k download speed on a huge file. No thanks.
I took your suggestions and posted the image to my mobileme account. I believe I PM'ed you the link. If anyone else wants to try the image, let me know via PM and I will send you the link.
rdangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #734
cr33p
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ann Arbor MI
Posts: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post
I'm not accusing anybody of anything intentional. But, I would not recommend sending an email address that isn't a burn account. I thought I'd be emailed back a link to a hosting site, but was instead emailed by the hosting site directly.

Since I sacrificed a spam free account for the cause, I tried to download the file. 72k download speed on a huge file. No thanks.
I downloaded a copy today, didnt have to volunteer any important info, will test this weekend
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #735
rdangel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post
I downloaded a copy today, didnt have to volunteer any important info, will test this weekend
Thanks! Keep me posted!
rdangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #736
Shagger
Registered User
 
Shagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
I always thought the idea was to pull the heat away from components, not blow air onto them...
In the computers I build I have a fan taking cool outside air and blowing that onto the drives. If you have a equivalent or larger exhaust fan then the excess hot air is pulled out of the case. I usually have 2 - 120mm fans sucking in and 2 blowing out.

It's like I tell the wife, you want to balance out all the blowing and sucking...
Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #737
bsmith1051
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 95
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagger View Post
It's like I tell the wife, you want to balance out all the blowing and sucking...
That's an interesting... USER ID you've got there!
bsmith1051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:03 AM   #738
jaredmwright
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 203
Used comer's Live Boot CD and upgraded my new Premiere to 1TB with a Seagate drive I already had available. Took about 2 hours to copy and expand. No issues, other than missing some of the extra space that winMFS supersize gave me on my older TiVo Series 3. Looks like about 12GB is available that is not being used compared to my other 1TB HD I upgraded. Maybe in the future I will go up to 2TB once prices drop further.

Thanks again, some money for beer is on its way!
__________________
TiVo XL4 (2TB) HDMI
TiVo Roamio Plus (3TB) HDMI & Slingbox 350 COMPONENT
-TiVo Mini (MoCa) HDMI
-TiVo Mini (MoCa) HDMI
-TiVo Mini (MoCa) HDMI
DirecTV HR22 HDMI & Slingbox Solo COMPONENT
jaredmwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #739
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin
 
Bai Shen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
Glad you liked it! I wish more people would test the process
Plannin' on it soon as I get a chance to pick one up. This Comcast DVR is horrible!
__________________
Nemo me impune lacessit.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bai Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:02 AM   #740
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagger View Post
In the computers I build I have a fan taking cool outside air and blowing that onto the drives. If you have a equivalent or larger exhaust fan then the excess hot air is pulled out of the case. I usually have 2 - 120mm fans sucking in and 2 blowing out.

It's like I tell the wife, you want to balance out all the blowing and sucking...
I like the 200mm to 230mm fans in my PC cases now. They are very quiet since they are large and don't need to spin very fast and also move alot of air for cooling.
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x3
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #741
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin
 
Bai Shen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I like the 200mm to 230mm fans in my PC cases now. They are very quiet since they are large and don't need to spin very fast and also move alot of air for cooling.
What case uses those?
__________________
Nemo me impune lacessit.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bai Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #742
turbobozz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/VA
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bai Shen View Post
What case uses those?
Antec 900 uses a 200mm
turbobozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #743
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin
 
Bai Shen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,250
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobozz View Post
Antec 900 uses a 200mm
-looks over at his Antec Nine Hundred-

He commented on 230mm fans and implied multiples of the 200-230mm sizes. The Antec case only has one 200mm.
__________________
Nemo me impune lacessit.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bai Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #744
Shagger
Registered User
 
Shagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bai Shen View Post
-looks over at his Antec Nine Hundred-

He commented on 230mm fans and implied multiples of the 200-230mm sizes. The Antec case only has one 200mm.
Maybe we start an Antec Nine Hundred thread because I LOVE mine. It does need a new X6 Phenom in there however...
Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #745
turbobozz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/VA
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bai Shen View Post
-looks over at his Antec Nine Hundred-

He commented on 230mm fans and implied multiples of the 200-230mm sizes. The Antec case only has one 200mm.
Thermaltake cases maybe?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133074
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133100
turbobozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #746
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,576

__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x3
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #747
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin
 
Bai Shen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 13,250
Interesting.
__________________
Nemo me impune lacessit.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bai Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #748
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
2tb Wd20ears $95

The popular 2TB WD20EARS is on sale at Dell for $94.99 w/free shipping…

http://dell.to/bmW3pA

FWIW the 1TB model is also on sale for $54.99 w/free shipping…

http://dell.to/aHn6sF

Last edited by richsadams : 09-23-2010 at 03:07 PM.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #749
Shagger
Registered User
 
Shagger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
The popular 2TB WD20EARS is on sale at Dell for $94.99 w/free shipping…

http://dell.to/bmW3pA

FWIW the 1TB model is also on sale for $54.99 w/free shipping…

http://dell.to/aHn6sF
2TB model on its way - thanks!
Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #750
akaussie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 49
Hey All - my Premiere is on the way and should be here on Monday. I'm looking for advice as to whether I wait a little while before upgrading the hard drive, or if I just do it right away?
Obviously downside to upgrading straight away will be the loss of the warranty.

Thanks in advance.
akaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:43 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |