TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-22-2010, 02:47 PM   #721
RichB

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
IMO you don't have anything to worry about. A number of reports here and elsewhere (with both Premiere, TiVo HD and Series3 upgrades) indicate that the larger hard drives aren't raising TiVo's ambient temperature more than a couple of degrees if at all. (The temperature can be viewed on TiVo's System Information screen at any time). If you avoid high-speed drives (a la, WD Black series or any gaming HDD) you s/b fine. The recommended WD GP and GP AV drives run quite cool and quiet.
It looked like a 50MMx25MM fan to me so I bought a couple.
My new Premiere fan is much quieter so it could be different fan and a defective one.

I will report back later.

- Rich
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 02:54 PM   #722
Shagger

Quote:
IMO you don't have anything to worry about. A number of reports here and elsewhere (with both Premiere, TiVo HD and Series3 upgrades) indicate that the larger hard drives aren't raising TiVo's ambient temperature more than a couple of degrees if at all. (The temperature can be viewed on TiVo's System Information screen at any time). If you avoid high-speed drives (a la, WD Black series or any gaming HDD) you s/b fine. The recommended WD GP and GP AV drives run quite cool and quiet.
The drive speed can be 5400 rpm or should it be 7200?
Shagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:02 PM   #723
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagger View Post
The drive speed can be 5400 rpm or should it be 7200?
TiVo OEM drives are 5400 RPM. They require nothing faster than and there's no performance enhancement with anything more.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:11 PM   #724
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap View Post
Trying the cd now. Great job on this comer. I like how you worded it to explicity explain very clearly what you are doing.

I can't wait to fire the new upgraded TiVo up.
Glad you liked it! I wish more people would test the process

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by comer : 09-22-2010 at 03:17 PM.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #725
comer

Quote:
Well I had wanted to upgrade BEFORE I filled it up with recordings so the transfer went quicker. I suppose I should be patient and wait...
You don't miss anything The upgrade time does not depend on recordings. The longest portion is copying data from one disk to another - it will be the same 320G regardless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #726
Shagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
You don't miss anything The upgrade time does not depend on recordings. The longest portion is copying data from one disk to another - it will be the same 320G regardless.
But if the 320GB is empty, it still copies it over? Is that so it is a perfect clone of the original drive?
Old 09-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #727
richsadams

Quote:
I wish more people would test the process
Why do I keep feeling this subtle elbow in my ribs?
Old 09-22-2010, 04:11 PM   #728
comer

Quote:
Is that so it is a perfect clone of the original drive?
Yep Basically, it's much harder (and thus error-prone) to analyze the drive and intelligently copy only used blocks, than to fire-and-forget a copy process for 2 hours

Old 09-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #729
Shagger

Quote:
Even if the ambient Tivo case temp's don't rise that doesn't mean that the drive temp isn't elevated. Regardless, I always like to have a fan blowing directly on any drives I have in my computer cases. Gives me a little better piece of mind. Looks like this will do the trick: http://www.pchcables.com/3pinfeto23pi3.html
Old 09-22-2010, 05:06 PM   #730
comer

Quote:
Looks like this will do the trick: http://www.pchcables.com/3pinfeto23pi3.html
And hope that motherboard is powerfull enough to drive the double load on the fan header
I would solder to PS directly.

Old 09-22-2010, 05:12 PM   #731
cap

Quote:
Looks like my upgrade is complete. Took between 2 1/2 and 4 hours to do the copy and upgrade. Very slick and easy.

I almost feel like a cheater doing it this way. I had just installed CentOS before you created the cd.

The cd method was INCREDIBLY easy. The only think easier is getting it preloaded.

The bootup process seemed to take a bit longer than I thought. Once it was done loading then the screen was black for longer than I thought. I even checked the HDMI to make sure I plugged it in.
After that there was also a delay playing shows. Probably just an adjustment period, but I'll keep an eye on it.

At any rate thanks for all the work comer. I'll see what I can do about that beer.
TCD649080 Series 2 (Monthly 7/2006)
DVR-810H Series 2 (Lifetime 1/2004)
cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:56 PM   #732
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Even if the ambient Tivo case temp's don't rise that doesn't mean that the drive temp isn't elevated. Regardless, I always like to have a fan blowing directly on any drives I have in my computer cases. Gives me a little better piece of mind. Looks like this will do the trick: http://www.pchcables.com/3pinfeto23pi3.html
I always thought the idea was to pull the heat away from components, not blow air onto them...

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:42 PM   #733
rdangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post
I'm not accusing anybody of anything intentional. But, I would not recommend sending an email address that isn't a burn account. I thought I'd be emailed back a link to a hosting site, but was instead emailed by the hosting site directly.

Since I sacrificed a spam free account for the cause, I tried to download the file. 72k download speed on a huge file. No thanks.
I took your suggestions and posted the image to my mobileme account. I believe I PM'ed you the link. If anyone else wants to try the image, let me know via PM and I will send you the link.
rdangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #734
cr33p

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcfcameron View Post
I'm not accusing anybody of anything intentional. But, I would not recommend sending an email address that isn't a burn account. I thought I'd be emailed back a link to a hosting site, but was instead emailed by the hosting site directly.

Since I sacrificed a spam free account for the cause, I tried to download the file. 72k download speed on a huge file. No thanks.
I downloaded a copy today, didnt have to volunteer any important info, will test this weekend
cr33p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #735
rdangel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr33p View Post
I downloaded a copy today, didnt have to volunteer any important info, will test this weekend
Thanks! Keep me posted!
rdangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #736
Shagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
I always thought the idea was to pull the heat away from components, not blow air onto them...
In the computers I build I have a fan taking cool outside air and blowing that onto the drives. If you have a equivalent or larger exhaust fan then the excess hot air is pulled out of the case. I usually have 2 - 120mm fans sucking in and 2 blowing out.

It's like I tell the wife, you want to balance out all the blowing and sucking...
Old 09-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #737
bsmith1051

Wink

Quote:
It's like I tell the wife, you want to balance out all the blowing and sucking...
That's an interesting... USER ID you've got there!
bsmith1051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:03 AM   #738
jaredmwright

Used comer's Live Boot CD and upgraded my new Premiere to 1TB with a Seagate drive I already had available. Took about 2 hours to copy and expand. No issues, other than missing some of the extra space that winMFS supersize gave me on my older TiVo Series 3. Looks like about 12GB is available that is not being used compared to my other 1TB HD I upgraded. Maybe in the future I will go up to 2TB once prices drop further.

Thanks again, some money for beer is on its way!
-TiVo Mini (MoCa) HDMI
-TiVo Mini (MoCa) HDMI
DirecTV HR22 HDMI & Slingbox Solo COMPONENT
jaredmwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 07:45 AM   #739
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

Quote:
Plannin' on it soon as I get a chance to pick one up. This Comcast DVR is horrible!

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bai Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:02 AM   #740
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
In the computers I build I have a fan taking cool outside air and blowing that onto the drives. If you have a equivalent or larger exhaust fan then the excess hot air is pulled out of the case. I usually have 2 - 120mm fans sucking in and 2 blowing out.

I like the 200mm to 230mm fans in my PC cases now. They are very quiet since they are large and don't need to spin very fast and also move alot of air for cooling.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #741
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I like the 200mm to 230mm fans in my PC cases now. They are very quiet since they are large and don't need to spin very fast and also move alot of air for cooling.
What case uses those?

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Old 09-23-2010, 09:11 AM   #742
turbobozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bai Shen View Post
What case uses those?
Antec 900 uses a 200mm
turbobozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 09:18 AM   #743
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobozz View Post
Antec 900 uses a 200mm
-looks over at his Antec Nine Hundred-

He commented on 230mm fans and implied multiples of the 200-230mm sizes. The Antec case only has one 200mm.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:29 AM   #744
Shagger

Quote:

He commented on 230mm fans and implied multiples of the 200-230mm sizes. The Antec case only has one 200mm.
Maybe we start an Antec Nine Hundred thread because I LOVE mine. It does need a new X6 Phenom in there however...
Old 09-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #745
turbobozz

Quote:

Thermaltake cases maybe?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133074
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811133100
turbobozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:12 PM   #746
aaronwt
HD Addict

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 12:16 PM   #747
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

Interesting.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:50 PM   #748
richsadams

2tb Wd20ears $95

The popular 2TB WD20EARS is on sale at Dell for $94.99 w/free shipping…

http://dell.to/bmW3pA

FWIW the 1TB model is also on sale for $54.99 w/free shipping…

http://dell.to/aHn6sF

Last edited by richsadams : 09-23-2010 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #749
Shagger

Quote:
The popular 2TB WD20EARS is on sale at Dell for $94.99 w/free shipping…

http://dell.to/bmW3pA

FWIW the 1TB model is also on sale for $54.99 w/free shipping…

http://dell.to/aHn6sF
2TB model on its way - thanks!
Old 09-23-2010, 05:25 PM   #750
akaussie

Hey All - my Premiere is on the way and should be here on Monday. I'm looking for advice as to whether I wait a little while before upgrading the hard drive, or if I just do it right away?
Obviously downside to upgrading straight away will be the loss of the warranty.

Thanks in advance.
akaussie is offline   Reply With Quote