TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #541
RichB

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
Hmm... I just installed ubuntu (desktop) as a virtual machine in VMware running on a Windows Server 2003 box. Probably not a good idea to try and do this in such a configuration?
What a great question!

I doubt it but it would be nifty.

- Rich
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:37 PM   #542
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB View Post
What a great question!

I doubt it but it would be nifty.

- Rich
I don't see why it wouldn't. You would need to add disk resources to your VM of course.
Easy - try it You can start with layout display - see if it works.

The old command-line guide is
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
comer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:56 PM   #543
RichB

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
I don't see why it wouldn't. You would need to add disk resources to your VM of course.
OK. I am willing to give it a go.

- Rich
Old 09-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #544
ckazacos

Quote:
Congratulations!

Do you use the Unix method?

- Rich
Yes! I have Unix/Linux experience so it wasn't difficult. The most difficult part was trying to get an older computer to boot Live CD from USB. I resorted to using my newer computer and things went smoothly.
ckazacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 10:53 PM   #545
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comer View Post
Wasn't there some issues with Windows mucking around with the boot sector of the original TiVo drive when you connect and power up the Windows OS? Well, I guess since there's a Windows version, that must/may not be the case!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:04 AM   #546
jmiller50

Another 2T upgrade success story here. I just upgraded last night. I use Linux 99% of the time, so for me, the hardest part was finding someone I could borrow 2 SATA cables from. For those trying to gauge how long it will take, the actually disk copy took about 3.5 hrs on my computer.

Kudos to corner for putting in the work to get this resolved.
jmiller50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:49 AM   #547
elite-fusion

Hey again guys...sorry to bug you but not able to do this for some reason

This is what i have:

. Laptop with Win XP SP3
. I can get a bootable CD version of linux
. 3 TiVo's (S3 HD, Premiere, and Premiere XL)
. a ton of Sata cables (if needed)
. an eSata cable (if needed)

I took out the hard drive from my S3 for example (its currently 1TB and want to upgrade to 2TB)
So I now have a bare 1TB and a bare 2TB (what I would want to do I'm assuming is Copy and Expand)

I DO NOT HAVE ANY RECORDINGS ON THE 1TB DRIVE, SO I DO NOT CARE ABOUT LOOSING ANYTHING (THS SHOULD MAKE IT MUCH FASTER)

So instead of having 1TB in my S3, I want to have a 2TB.

How would i go about doing this in linux???? I HAVE NO CLUE HOW TO USE LINUX

I know this is PREMIERE forum, but same case goes for my Premiere and Premiere XL. I figured I'd try on the S3 first...or if you guys suggest I can pull the Premiere hard drive out and work with that.

Sorry for so many questions, i just like to include as much info as i can so someone can help me.

PS. LOVING THE TIVO's....THEY ARE AMAZING!
elite-fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:34 AM   #548
b13

I am confused, do I run ◦"ddrescue -r 3 <old tivo drive or image file name> <new drive>" or do I run ◦"dd if=<old tivo drive or image file name> of=<new drive>"

I ran the 1st command and it finised in 2-3 hours like you said. However then I ran second command and 6hours later the HDD's are still doing something.

This is your current disk capacity.

6.Copy old tivo disk or image file onto new one using either:
◦"ddrescue -r 3 <old tivo drive or image file name> <new drive>"
I recommend this tool if available in your system, because it gives nice progress output, so you can be sure it didn't hang and how long to wait.

◦"dd if=<old tivo drive or image file name> of=<new drive>"
It is possible to see progress of this tool as well, but not interactively. For more info see "man dd" or look it up on internet.
Wait for 2-3 hours until complete. Make sure it completes without errors.
7.Execute "./mfsadd.sh <new drive>"

8.[optional, but very advisable] run "./testLayout.sh <new drive>".
Make note of the last few lines and verify that capacity increased.
b13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 08:02 AM   #549
wp746911

oopsie- gotta read the instructions very carefully when using command prompt:

Copy old tivo disk or image file onto new one using either:
"ddrescue -r 3 <old tivo drive or image file name> <new drive>"
I recommend this tool if available in your system, because it gives nice progress output, so you can be sure it didn't hang and how long to wait.

"dd if=<old tivo drive or image file name> of=<new drive>"
It is possible to see progress of this tool as well, but not interactively. For more info see "man dd" or look it up on internet.
Wait for 2-3 hours until complete. Make sure it completes without errors.

It says to either- you were done after the first ddrescue (took about 3 hours on my computer too)- dd if does the same thing but doesn't look as nice-and you should only run one or the other.
wp746911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:30 AM   #550
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
Wasn't there some issues with Windows mucking around with the boot sector of the original TiVo drive when you connect and power up the Windows OS? Well, I guess since there's a Windows version, that must/may not be the case!
IIRC it was basically an older version(s?) of windows that did it. (I want to say Windows 2000, but that might be wrong).

Newer versions of windows play nice and don't automatically touch all drives. You'd have to go into the drive manager and specifically ask it to initialize the drive to break it like the old version of windows did automatically.

I know WinXP SP2 is safe (I've used WinMFS in XP to copy / expand TiVo drives without an problems) and Vista or Win7 should be good as well.

Last edited by Jonathan_S : 09-10-2010 at 01:16 PM. Reason: clarify the release of XP I was using
Jonathan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 11:36 AM   #551
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post
IIRC it was basically an older version(s?) of windows that did it. (I want to say Windows 2000, but that might be wrong).

Newer versions of windows play nice and don't automatically touch all drives. You'd have to go into the drive manager and specifically ask it to initialize the drive to break it like the old version of windows did automatically.

I know WinXP is safe (I've used WinMFS in XP to copy / expand TiVo drives without an problems) and Vista or Win7 should be good as well.
Exactly. Win XP (original release), NT 4, Windows 2000 sp4 or earlier, ME or earlier were the culprits. Windows ME? ((shudder)).
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 02:22 PM   #552
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_S View Post

I know WinXP SP2 is safe (I've used WinMFS in XP to copy / expand TiVo drives without an problems) and Vista or Win7 should be good as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Exactly. Win XP (original release), NT 4, Windows 2000 sp4 or earlier, ME or earlier were the culprits. Windows ME? ((shudder)).
Great! That does ease my mind when the time comes to upgrade the Premiere.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:26 PM   #553
b13

Status update:Ran 1st Command then ran Second Command. I thought I would break it<---

Well....It didn't! Tivo booted everything seems ok (except) when I change to menus like from Video to Network etc. When it switches I see a gray sceeen then it takes me to menu.

I went from 320gig to 1-terabyte. Does it support 2 terabyte? I used Ubuntu x64-bit and booted off of live CD. I am in I.t. and I haven't used linux for a while (started to recently) so it wasn't that hard. The only thing was instructions at the end confused me.
b13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:55 PM   #554
johnfarmer55

I like seeing the list of upgraded Premieres grow!

--j55
johnfarmer55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 05:37 PM   #555
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by b13 View Post
I went from 320gig to 1-terabyte.
Congrats!

Quote:
Does it support 2 terabyte?
Yes.

Quote:
The only thing was instructions at the end confused me.
For the benefit of future users, could you be more specific, please?

Old 09-10-2010, 05:48 PM   #556
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Why do I have this feeling that Weaknees, DVRUpgrade, and DVRDude sales for the Premiere upgrade drives are about to plummet?

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 07:53 PM   #557
comer

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Why do I have this feeling that Weaknees, DVRUpgrade, and DVRDude sales for the Premiere upgrade drives are about to plummet?
Should I be worried?

Old 09-11-2010, 01:40 AM   #558
richsadams

2TB WD GP Hard Drive $99.99

Newegg.com has the 2TB Western Digital GP WD20EARS for $119.99. Coupon code "HARDOCP98B" takes it down to $99.99 w/free shipping.

http://bit.ly/cbDU6G
Old 09-11-2010, 08:18 AM   #559
wp746911

hmm i wondered if I spent too much- I got a WD AV-GP 2tb- i cost me mabye $30 more but I felt good that it was designated for pvr use- was that a good move or are these other drives just as good?
wp746911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #560
RichB

I have a Premiere XL in my Living room.
Can you move disks from one TiVo to the other. The case is a little ill-fitting on the new Premiere. So I was wondering if I can:

Upgrade the new TiVo XL to a 2TB drive and then move the 1TB drive to my other Premiere.

Are drives locked to the units?

- Rich
Old 09-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #561
steve614
what ru lookin at?

From what I have read, you can only swap drives between Tivos of the same model, e.g., TivoHD -> TivoHD, Premiere XL -> Premiere XL, and you have to do a Clear & Delete everything in order for it to work properly.
A drive from a TivoHD XL will not work in a Premiere XL.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #562
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by wp746911 View Post
hmm i wondered if I spent too much- I got a WD AV-GP 2tb- i cost me mabye $30 more but I felt good that it was designated for pvr use- was that a good move or are these other drives just as good?
Certainly no harm done...except a little bit to your wallet.

WD A/V dedicated hard drives have several features not found in their standard cousins, one being that the Auto Acoustic Management (AAM) is tuned to it's lowest level (128). That reduces the seek noise of the heads. Unfortunately TiVo by design isn't able to take advantage of the other A/V features of those drives. BTW, that doesn't seem to have made any difference in performance so it may be that SA and other DVR's don't have some of the "performance advantages" that TiVo has and relies on HDD firmware to compensate.

In any case, the non-A/V WD GP hard drives (the EARS series for example) have proven to work quite well based on numerous posts here and elsewhere. One just needs to adjust the AAM from the stock level to 128 to make them quieter...although they are very quiet out of the box.

There are mixed reports about the more recently manufactured WD GP drives requiring the Intellipark feature to be extended or disabled to address the soft reboot hang however. If you are so inclined it would be helpful if when you upgrade to skip that step and try a soft reboot after installing your new drive and report back your findings. If you can please include the drive's manufacture date. A number of folks are reporting that drives manufactured sometime in August 2010 and forward haven't required tweaking Intellipark while others have had to do it so there's still no definitive answer. More data points will be very valuable.

Hope that helped. I guess the short answer is that you've saved yourself a little time. Time is money they say.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:43 PM   #563
richsadams

Quote:
I have a Premiere XL in my Living room.
Can you move disks from one TiVo to the other. The case is a little ill-fitting on the new Premiere. So I was wondering if I can:

Upgrade the new TiVo XL to a 2TB drive and then move the 1TB drive to my other Premiere.

Are drives locked to the units?

- Rich
Basically what Steve614 said, but I'm a little confused. Do you have a TiVo Premiere XL and your new TiVo is also a Premiere XL model or is it a standard TiVo Premiere? Or do you have a different combination such as a Premiere XL and a TiVo HDXL?

In any case, as Steve said, swapping drives is always like-for-like. Although I'm not sure if anyone has posted about trying to swap drives in the same series, but different builds...such as swapping a drive from a TiVo Premiere XL into a standard TiVo Premiere (or vice versa). It might work, but until someone tries it we can't be sure. I can think why it would (the OS matches) as well as why it wouldn't (possible hardware differences the OS may have to deal with).

One of the keys that Steve mentioned is that a full Clear and Delete Everything is required. That wipes all of the box's "personal" information including recordings, Season Passes, channel info, guide data, cable card pairing and so on. You basically end up with a "new" TiVo. Swapping hard drives is usually a last resort kind of thing.

All of that said, if you currently have a Premiere XL and you want to swap drives with another Premiere XL, yes that will work, but again, you'd need to run C&DE. If that fits your plans you should be good to go.

Curious...what do you mean when you say the case is a little "ill fitting"?

Anyway, hope that helps!
Old 09-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #564
mkkelly75

Another successful upgrade.

Hi All, Just wanted to report that I did the upgrade to a 1TB drive this morning. Had a little trouble installing Java to begin with but then I went to the Ubuntu software utility and installed the Java JRE runtime through that and it worked great.

My question now is, should I keep recording until I am past the 20 hours of original HD video capacity to ensure everything is cool?
mkkelly75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:16 PM   #565
mkkelly75

Of course reading back through the thread I realized I forgot about the Intellipark issue. Rebooting now to see if it hangs or not. Guess I am pulling the drive again if it does...
Old 09-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #566
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkkelly75 View Post
Of course reading back through the thread I realized I forgot about the Intellipark issue. Rebooting now to see if it hangs or not. Guess I am pulling the drive again if it does...
Congrats and can you let us know one way or the other about the soft reboot...and the manufacture date of your hard drive? TIA!

With respect to the recordings (20 hours plus) AFAIK a number of folks here have far surpassed that after an upgrade without any problems.
Old 09-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #567
RichB

Quote:
Basically what Steve614 said, but I'm a little confused. Do you have a TiVo Premiere XL and your new TiVo is also a Premiere XL model or is it a standard TiVo Premiere? Or do you have a different combination such as a Premiere XL and a TiVo HDXL?
Both are Premieres one is an XL the other standard.
Quote:

In any case, as Steve said, swapping drives is always like-for-like. Although I'm not sure if anyone has posted about trying to swap drives in the same series, but different builds...such as swapping a drive from a TiVo Premiere XL into a standard TiVo Premiere (or vice versa). It might work, but until someone tries it we can't be sure. I can think why it would (the OS matches) as well as why it wouldn't (possible hardware differences the OS may have to deal with).

One of the keys that Steve mentioned is that a full Clear and Delete Everything is required. That wipes all of the box's "personal" information including recordings, Season Passes, channel info, guide data, cable card pairing and so on. You basically end up with a "new" TiVo. Swapping hard drives is usually a last resort kind of thing.
I guess I will stay put then.

Quote:
Curious...what do you mean when you say the case is a little "ill fitting"?
The top panel sticks up a bit. I can probably fix it when I swap out the drive.
Quote:
Anyway, hope that helps!
Yes. Thanks,

Rich
Old 09-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #568
richsadams

Quote:
Both are Premieres one is an XL the other standard.

I guess I will stay put then.

The top panel sticks up a bit. I can probably fix it when I swap out the drive.
Ah, got it then. Thanks!
Old 09-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #569
mkkelly75

Quote:
Congrats and can you let us know one way or the other about the soft reboot...and the manufacture date of your hard drive? TIA!

With respect to the recordings (20 hours plus) AFAIK a number of folks here have far surpassed that after an upgrade without any problems.
I did the soft reboot with no issues. Of course since I forgot about the Intellipark issue I never thought to look at the manufacture date. It is a WD10EARS though. I will yank it back out soon and check (unless it says it on the box somewhere?).
Old 09-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #570
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkkelly75 View Post
I did the soft reboot with no issues. Of course since I forgot about the Intellipark issue I never thought to look at the manufacture date. It is a WD10EARS though. I will yank it back out soon and check (unless it says it on the box somewhere?).
Understood. AFAIK the manufacture date isn't on the box anywhere, only on the drive itself. Was this a retail box drive (included mounting kit, etc.) or a bare OEM drive? I take it you bought it recently...can you let us know the retailer? TIA for posting the manufacture info at some point.

Thanks for your patience with all of the questions...the more data points we can get the better it will be to recommend drives and help those that follow.

Now enjoy!