TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-12-2014, 09:53 AM   #1
sfurukawa

Series 1 TurboNet Problem or No Longer Supported?

Hi folks,

Recently unpacked my old Series 1 which I have not used for about 2.5 years since I moved. I tried to get it going but had problems so now I am stuck in guided setup purgatory. Not able to get a setup call going (failed no dial tone). Not sure if the Turbonet card bit the dust, or if some reason the ,#401 option is no longer supported by Tivo? Anyone have any information or workarounds on this? If I recall, the modem is fried so a landline call is not an option for me. May not be worth the trouble but the unit does have a lifetime sub and seems to be working fine otherwise. Appreciate your help.
Old 10-12-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
waynomo
My One Time

My series one with card still works fine.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 12:17 PM   #3
bkc56
Designated Grunt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfurukawa View Post
If I recall, the modem is fried so a landline call is not an option for me.
You might look at picking up an external modem. We have a dead internal modem on one of our Tivos and have been using an external one for several years now.
Old 10-12-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
waynomo
My One Time

What happens if you try and force a connection? Does it seem to connect and then fail? When I recently brought my series 1 out of retirement after 5 years it took about 10 times before it successfully installed everything it needed to.

I deleted all season passes and thumb ratings and ran a few of the kickstart programs. I'm not sure if it was any of those things except being persistent that paid off. It seemed like each time it connected it got further along in the process till eventually it was successful. Since then not one hiccup.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:33 PM   #5
sfurukawa

Thanks for the suggestions. Waynomo, I am stuck in Guided Setup and I don't seem to be able to do anything besides edit the call in number and dialing prefix. Then when I try to connect using ,#401, I got the error message I originally mentioned.

Perhaps the external modem option might be the only thing I can do. Any recommendations on which to get?
Old 10-13-2014, 12:18 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. Waynomo, I am stuck in Guided Setup and I don't seem to be able to do anything besides edit the call in number and dialing prefix. Then when I try to connect using ,#401, I got the error message I originally mentioned.

Perhaps the external modem option might be the only thing I can do. Any recommendations on which to get?
When you try to use the Ethernet connection, do you get the no dial tone error message?

Did you ever get far enough into S1 tinkering to connect the serial port to a PC and use something like HyperTerminal to watch the boot process?

(I'm thinking you might be able to set a fixed IP for the unit in case DHCP is part of the problem)

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 09:10 AM   #7
sfurukawa

Unitron, I have not. But this seems like something way beyond my very limited tech capabilities! But thank you for the suggestion.

I also realized that the external modem would not work for calling in on a regular basis as I don't have a land line. Duh. So it appears this unit will go back into the garage.
Old 10-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
waynomo
My One Time

So Immediately when you start up it goes into guided setup? (not your doing?)
Old 10-14-2014, 03:50 AM   #9
unitron

Quote:
Unitron, I have not. But this seems like something way beyond my very limited tech capabilities! But thank you for the suggestion.

I also realized that the external modem would not work for calling in on a regular basis as I don't have a land line. Duh. So it appears this unit will go back into the garage.
When that S1 was new it came with a cable with a plug at one end that looks like a headphone plug (the smaller version, not the older type that looks like a guitar cable plug) and a plug at the other end that looks like a VGA or SVGA PC video monitor plug, only with fewer pins, called a 9 pin DB connector.

It was intended to allow the TiVo to control sat boxes and cable boxes that had 9 pin serial connnectors instead of or in addition to infrared remote control inputs.

I'm pretty sure that cable is wired the right way that you don't have to rewire it to connect it to a PC's serial port (the older, pre-USB kind).

I think most every version of Windows except maybe the newest ones comes with a program called HyperTerminal.

What you do is run HyperTerminal and tell it to connect to the PC's serial port and then plug the TiVo power cord in and hit Enter on the PC right afterward and it intercepts the TiVo's boot process and there's a menu available with some settings you can change and one of them is the IP address of the TiVo (ordinarily it uses DHCP, but this way you can give it a fixed IP address to eliminate the chance of a failed DHCP negotiation between the TiVo and your router when using the TurboNet card.

So it doesn't take fancy equipment, just older stuff, and it doesn't take you having to be able to write computer programs.

And once you give the TiVo a fixed IP address, you can ping it from a PC to see if the TurboNet card is working and connecting to the router okay.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:29 PM   #10
sfurukawa

Unitron- thanks for the detailed instructions, I'll take a shot at it this weekend.

Waynomo- correct, it automatically goes into Guided Setup when I plug it in, I can't get out of it.