TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #1
JTalbert

Tivo with possible corrupt OS

I have a Tivo HD with a WD Tivo Expander, which we feel has been going south for a little while, well atleast according to Tivo. I called tivo and spoke to someone in support and they blamed the expander as the issue, my two options were 1 remove the expander and lose everything or 2 reboot it a few times till/if it comes up and live with the problem since its a 3rd party problem.

The other day, uur data was running out for the guide, we tried to update and we got a S03 error.

I tried kickstart 57, will take about 3 hours, and will scan for errors and try to fix the problem. After about 10 minutes Tivo reboots. Still an S03 error.

I decided to wipe all the shows from my Tivo, it lock up, it was to take an hour, two hours later, still on the clearing screen. I shut down the Tivo, removed the expander, and reset the Tivo to be used without the Expander.This was successful.

Now, loaded data... Went to guide. Nothing. second time, took 30-40 minutes, nothing. After the third time, guide data. Problem fixed? No.

Unable to create season passes, when I try, and go to season passes Tivo tells me there are no upcoming episodes.Tried Kickstart 57 again, no go, downloaded guide data again, this time, Tivo processes normal when guilde data needs no updating. Still, no season passes. I tried a few passes online and after an hour got an email saying the season pass has been received but no upcoming episodes.

Did a kickstart 54 to run a test on smart test on my HD an test came back clean, no apparent problems with my drive.

I decided to go into channel setup and re-setup the channels, and during this process, took about 20 minutes and saw it was "optimizing" and after that, TaDa Season passes work now!

So, everything okay? Well not really. When I tried to setup season passes online, I tried 4 of them, the first was sent to my Tivo and configured correctly, the other 3, still in cyber space.

So I think I may still be having problems with my Tivo. It appears to be running fine, other than the online season pass issue.

So after all of my background info, I would love to upgrade the drive, and may do that at some point, but since the drive seems to be fine, I want to try to fix the problem right now if I can.

I am thinking about getting the instantcake and reformatting the drive and reloading the OS myself. But before I spend the $40 for it I wanted to see if I had any other options for fixing the problem.

If I am still having a DB issue, does anyone know of any way to repair a corruption of my DB without a SW install and KS57 not working?

Also, The Tivo drive is formatted in Linux correct? If I wanted to run a check disk on it outside the tivo to ensure the drive is okay, I would have problems plugging it into a windows machine and running a checkdsk on it that way correct? Is there any way to remove the drive and run a disk check on it to ensure the drive is fine? I may need to take my expander to my office since that is an esata drive and we have computers there with esata ports built in to see if that drive is in fact failing and caused my problem.

Anyone with suggestions?
JTalbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:54 PM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTalbert View Post
I decided to wipe all the shows from my Tivo, it lock up, it was to take an hour, two hours later, still on the clearing screen. I shut down the Tivo, removed the expander, and reset the Tivo to be used without the Expander.This was successful.
Symptoms of a failing expander, but it sounds like the internal drive could be having problems, too.
So, you've done a clear and delete?
At this point, I would just go ahead and take opportunity to upgrade the internal hard drive. That's usually the culprit even though some tests show them to be OK.
If you get a 1TB hard drive and Instant Cake, or buy one pre-loaded with the Tivo software, you could eliminate having to use the buggy external drive and determine whether the other problems you were having are due to something else.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote