TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-29-2010, 07:35 AM   #91
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
This is about the most outrageously xenophobic rant I've seen in a while. I know "Apu" (actually, for our product, it's "Ram" and "Arhendu" and a bunch of others) and I know not only do they care about the quality of their code, but they understand the context of customer use for the system into which they're contributing code.
We will just have to agree to disagree.

I've worked with many smart foreign-born engineers here in the USA. By and large, these people have been quite knowledgeable, quite competent. Many have even started successful high-tech companies (especially in the Bay Area), which has been great for America.

However, I've seen other-continent outsourcing "in action" at multiple companies and on multiple projects. IMO on balance it hasn't gone well at all. Some mediocre results, some poor results, rarely anything "good" or "great". It's done because it's cheap and it's a lot easier for a big company to contract stuff out than to add employees. Not because there's any expectation of "care about the quality of their code".
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:32 AM   #92
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
A black screen would be just as puzzling. Typically, If TiVo mistunes and doesnt lock onto the signal, there is no mpeg stored and the show is 'zero' length and just disappears with the 'video signal not available' message. If it was a digital channel and the green progress bar shows the right show length and you can trickplay thru 'black' then it sounds like there is mpeg there and it could be a problem upstream. If it were analog... I could understand.
A black screen is puzzling but I can see how it could happen. I have not experience exactly the same thing on my S3, but I have seen it stop on a still picture 10 minutes into the recording, and the same still picture stayed on the screen until the end of the 30 minute recording. It was not a partial recording. So, if something were to happen where the screen was black when this situation occurred I could see this happening.

It happened to me more then once when I had my s3 hooked up to comcast a few years ago while living on my universities campus. I know the tv signal was good as well because, even though I had gone to bed and was recording the program, my roommate had it on and I could hear it the audio where was when I played back my recording the next day, I only had the first 10 minutes, then a still screen with no audio for the next 20 minutes.

Not sure how to explain this at all.
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:24 AM   #93
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
A black screen would be just as puzzling. Typically, If TiVo mistunes and doesnt lock onto the signal, there is no mpeg stored and the show is 'zero' length and just disappears with the 'video signal not available' message. If it was a digital channel and the green progress bar shows the right show length and you can trickplay thru 'black' then it sounds like there is mpeg there and it could be a problem upstream. If it were analog... I could understand.
I agree a failed recording due to 'video signal not available' is typical, but as I said in post #78:
Quote:
....but I've also had it record 3 hours of blank video.
This is for a (digital) SDV channel.
By "blank" I mean black, with no audio. I don't remember for sure if I tried to trick-play it, but I think I skipped through it to see if it was blank all the way through.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #94
squiddohio

That's strange. When my TA goes on the fritz, it shows it as recording, but "play" displays a black screen. When the program is over, nothing is saved to the Now Playing List. (I guess the TiVo won't save a zero length file.) So it will "record" a program from a SDV station without the TA operating, but it will not "save" it.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:10 AM   #95
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoREvanescence View Post
A black screen is puzzling but I can see how it could happen. I have not experience exactly the same thing on my S3, but I have seen it stop on a still picture 10 minutes into the recording, and the same still picture stayed on the screen until the end of the 30 minute recording. It was not a partial recording. So, if something were to happen where the screen was black when this situation occurred I could see this happening.

It happened to me more then once when I had my s3 hooked up to comcast a few years ago while living on my universities campus. I know the tv signal was good as well because, even though I had gone to bed and was recording the program, my roommate had it on and I could hear it the audio where was when I played back my recording the next day, I only had the first 10 minutes, then a still screen with no audio for the next 20 minutes.

Not sure how to explain this at all.
Now THAT I have seen multiple times.... Not just a single picture but starting and stopping thru the show.... audio is fine all the way thru. but times of normal video and then frozen video with more frozen than normal.

Have you only seen it on an S3 and not a THD? Are you on a 'stock' harddrive?
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:12 AM   #96
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddohio View Post
That's strange. When my TA goes on the fritz, it shows it as recording, but "play" displays a black screen. When the program is over, nothing is saved to the Now Playing List. (I guess the TiVo won't save a zero length file.) So it will "record" a program from a SDV station without the TA operating, but it will not "save" it.
Yes... if there is no mpeg coming from the demod, there is nothing to record.
Old 03-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #97
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
Some mediocre results, some poor results, rarely anything "good" or "great".
A company not inclined to pay more to get superior development resources is not likely to do so whether they are outsourcing to resources in other countries or hiring domestically either.

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:35 AM   #98
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Now THAT I have seen multiple times.... Not just a single picture but starting and stopping thru the show.... audio is fine all the way thru. but times of normal video and then frozen video with more frozen than normal.

Have you only seen it on an S3 and not a THD? Are you on a 'stock' harddrive?
Yes, I only have seen it on a S3 and not a THD. It has the stock hardrive plus a Western Digital MyDVR Expander drive.

Once the still frame happens for me it stays for the rest of the recording, and there is no audio for me.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:22 PM   #99
Karl Childers

I've had a refurbished HD since 2/25/09. I consider myself extremely lucky since I've NEVER had a grey/black screen issue (even though I was on an anolog basic cable channel lineup without cable cards for 8 - 9 months); the only times (3x) I've had freezing issues was when my Internet connection "hiccupped" while streaming Netflix; and the only time my HD ever rebooted (outside of SW update installs) was when my roommate tripped the breakers in the garage while trying to weld something and then the HD became stuck on "Welcome, Powering Up." A simple reboot with the Ethernet cable unplugged enabled the TiVo to recover from that issue.

My point in all of this: I think there can be something which can be said for the "factory-renewed" TiVos. I believe they go through more thorough testing than a regular unit on the production line would (random sample testing, perhaps) . . . but I could be completely wrong.

I've been checking to see if I've grabbed the latest SW update . . . just out of curiosity. I still havent, despite many manual connections to the TiVo Service.

We'll keep checking. . . .
Karl Childers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:13 PM   #100
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Childers View Post
I've been checking to see if I've grabbed the latest SW update . . . just out of curiosity. I still havent, despite many manual connections to the TiVo Service.
We'll keep checking. . . .
Manual connections will only get you SW a couple hours earlier if done between the time you were auth'd and the time your DVR would make its next connection. DVR selection for rollout is randomized by location, so service connection times/frequency play no roll in the selection process.

TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #101
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Childers View Post
My point in all of this: I think there can be something which can be said for the "factory-renewed" TiVos. I believe they go through more thorough testing than a regular unit on the production line would (random sample testing, perhaps) . . . but I could be completely wrong.
I am of the opposite opinion. I went through two "recertified" THDs that wouldn't even validate a cable card. TiVo felt bad enough for me that they sent me a brand new unit instead of a third recert (to their credit ), and the same cable card validated perfectly in that one.

It left me wondering if cable card slot testing is part of their recertification process.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 03:53 PM   #102
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Yes... if there is no mpeg coming from the demod, there is nothing to record.
It's funny how we were talking about this today and I just experienced it. Though this one is not by fault of my TiVo.

My TiVo Recorded Two and a Half Men last night on fox 61 as part of my season pass. The first 12 minutes of the recording were just black and no audio and it was not a partial recording. I was like, what!?!? But then Fresh Prince of Bel-air started. So obviously this one was just dead air, the encoder at wtic was just putting out a blank black screen.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #103
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
A company not inclined to pay more to get superior development resources is not likely to do so whether they are outsourcing to resources in other countries or hiring domestically either.
Yes, a very good point. Sadly, the only thing that many top managements don't skimp on these days is their salaries and bonuses.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:41 PM   #104
steve614
what ru lookin at?

It's near the end of the month.
I'm getting impatient.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:42 PM   #105
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
I'm getting impatient.
I'm betting on the 31st
Old 03-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #106
daveak
Series 3 Novice

Quote:
I'm getting impatient.
Does this happen to you every month?
Old 03-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #107
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I'm getting impatient.
Patience! Patience! And remember the Red Green prayer in your signature.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 09:25 PM   #108
hooper

Are we sure there are no MRV fixes in this release? It feels like transfers are quicker now between Tivo HD's. Or at least fast enough to get through an hour of HD without catching up (regardless of what is being recorded on either box). Wishful thinking?
hooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:44 PM   #109
cappy

Quote:
Time to go force a connection...................
I've just plugged my tivo in, got 11.0d only
I've told the box to connect to the site, still have 11.0d.

How do you force the update?
cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:59 PM   #110
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy View Post
I've just plugged my tivo in, got 11.0d only
I've told the box to connect to the site, still have 11.0d.

How do you force the update?
In this case you can't. You just wait for TiVo to release the update to the rest of the units.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:42 AM   #111
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooper View Post
Are we sure there are no MRV fixes in this release? It feels like transfers are quicker now between Tivo HD's. Or at least fast enough to get through an hour of HD without catching up (regardless of what is being recorded on either box). Wishful thinking?
Check under Network status for the transfer rates. Post them here. It has been mentioned by Tivo employees that this is only a bug fix though. Maybe you were tuned to SD channels or to a channel you didn't receive?
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:54 AM   #112
pmiranda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
I've complained ad nauseam in the past about the "joys" of outsourcing engineering to places like India. ...
I have no idea of whether this particular code was outsourced.
Your rant is completely misplaced and uncalled for in this thread. TiVos have been losing recordings to "no video signal available" since the series 1. The ability to detect no video signal and request a retune, either in the old days with an IR blaster, or now with a TA is something I've asked for over and over.

As others have said, if it makes you feel any better, TW DVR's lose recordings due to this, too, and their software was outsourced to Atlanta :-)
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #113
jscozz

I don't have the update yet on any of my units... can anyone verify whether the Parental controls issue has been resolved... where you can get into the PC settings and disable it all without entering the passcode via the info button, then lock symbol on a live channel?
jscozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #114
rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
Check under Network status for the transfer rates. Post them here. It has been mentioned by Tivo employees that this is only a bug fix though. Maybe you were tuned to SD channels or to a channel you didn't receive?
I have plenty of gray and black screens - but these are for channels that I am either not supposed to get (once or twice I did anyway-for a wknd), or channel line-up that has changed from my cable company. Example is w/WGN - it broadcasts on channel 43 (SD). I was able also, however, to get it on channel 96. I found that interesting and left it in the channel line-up.
Now, channel 96 is a gray screen. I assume it was a channel line-up update at some point that eliminated it.

At one point, I was able to get a pbs station that normally is on channel 32-1, on channel 1. I liked that, but it eventually disappeared as well.
rainbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:23 PM   #115
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
Your rant is completely misplaced and uncalled for in this thread. TiVos have been losing recordings to "no video signal available" since the series 1. The ability to detect no video signal and request a retune, either in the old days with an IR blaster, or now with a TA is something I've asked for over and over.

As others have said, if it makes you feel any better, TW DVR's lose recordings due to this, too, and their software was outsourced to Atlanta :-)
In my own case it wasn't a simple failure in the signal. On at least one occasion the show recorded on an analog S2 TiVo and black screened on the HD TiVo. This was a local SD network channel. That tells me the issue wasn't in the line, but in the HD TiVo, TA, or Cable Card.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:57 PM   #116
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
In my own case it wasn't a simple failure in the signal. On at least one occasion the show recorded on an analog S2 TiVo and black screened on the HD TiVo. This was a local SD network channel. That tells me the issue wasn't in the line, but in the HD TiVo, TA, or Cable Card.
Not necessarily... The S2 is recording the analog channel... The S3 with cablecard will likely be recording the digital copy. Even though both are on the same 'channel number', they arent on the same frequency.

Can you be more specific about what you actually 'got'? Did you get a recording full of black screen in which you could fast forward and rewind... or did you get it live and just see a black screen?
Old 03-30-2010, 03:04 PM   #117
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:
Not necessarily... The S2 is recording the analog channel... The S3 with cablecard will likely be recording the digital copy. Even though both are on the same 'channel number', they arent on the same frequency.

Can you be more specific about what you actually 'got'? Did you get a recording full of black screen in which you could fast forward and rewind... or did you get it live and just see a black screen?
It was an hour long black recording. Guide data, duration, and everything as if it was broadcast normally, just no picture or sound. It was definitely the digital version of the channel and it had happened on the same channel at least three other times before that one during prime time.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:30 PM   #118
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormspace View Post
It was an hour long black recording. Guide data, duration, and everything as if it was broadcast normally, just no picture or sound. It was definitely the digital version of the channel and it had happened on the same channel at least three other times before that one during prime time.
Hmmm... Interesting. Ive not see that. So there was definitely mpeg coming from somewhere. Hard to tell what was going on here. Bulk encryptor or Stat Mux problem at the cableco? TiVo SW Bug? Who knows...
Old 03-30-2010, 06:38 PM   #119
m_jonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
Noticed that the clock was missing from the corner of one of the TiVo HDs this evening.

Looks like 11.0f.N1-01-2-652 was pushed to it early this morning.

Haven't noticed anything different yet.

Our other TiVo HD remains at 11.0d.
Anyone know if it fixes the SDV pixelation issue caused by the Tivo software?
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:49 PM   #120
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_jonis View Post
Anyone know if it fixes the SDV pixelation issue caused by the Tivo software?
Post #24, this thread
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote