Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-19-2010, 08:14 AM   #31
bschuler2007
Frustrated owner

From the 11.0f.N1-01-2-652 update faq:
Quote:
11. No more lost analog tuner grey screen issue.
12. Changed analog grey screen to blue per requests

Just kiddin.. I don't have analog so I cannot tell u if it is finally fixed. After living with that problem for awhile before going digital, I wish you grey screen guys luck.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:23 AM   #32
squiddohio

"This answers my rhetorical question."
What?? Rhetorical questions don't need answers.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:27 AM   #33
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddohio View Post
"This answers my rhetorical question."
What?? Rhetorical questions don't need answers.
They do if I'm the one whom I'm asking

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 01:51 PM   #34
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbourgeo View Post
I missed that. Which thread??
This post
Old 03-19-2010, 02:34 PM   #35
sbourgeo
Hepcat Daddio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
Cool, thanks.
"You know, ground beef is a real winner nowadays" -- Faster Guy
sbourgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:18 AM   #36
HerronScott

Got it on one of my 2 S3's. No change or problems so far.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #37
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
WooHoo... My THD downstairs got the new SW... Watched it for a while and so far no SDV pixelations....
Nothing but silence for three days now (?) The suspense is killing me! ( I don't have 11.0f yet.)

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:10 AM   #38
socrplyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Nothing but silence for three days now (?) The suspense is killing me! ( I don't have 11.0f yet.)
Don't expect it until 3/31, and it seems don't expect to see much difference otherwise we would be seeing a bunch of chatter.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:46 AM   #39
LoREvanescence

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
Don't expect it until 3/31, and it seems don't expect to see much difference otherwise we would be seeing a bunch of chatter.

Yeah, that would be true. the only talk I have heard about f so far is that it contains a mrv bug fix.

You would expect to see 11.1 for the version number if any changes were made / features added.
LoREvanescence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:02 AM   #40
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
The SDV pixelation problem that SCSIRAID said might be fixed (in **this post**) is a big deal to those of us who experience it. I'm hoping he will confirm the fix is real.

and
Old 03-23-2010, 09:43 AM   #41
xnappo

Quote:
The SDV pixelation problem that SCSIRAID said might be fixed (in **this post**) is a big deal to those of us who experience it. I'm hoping he will confirm the fix is real.
Yep. I am hoping this addresses both SDV pixelization AND GSAS issues with certain channels.

xnappo
xnappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #42
SCSIRAID

Quote:
The downstairs THD is no longer getting the hits on SDV channels. I think we can safely call it fixed. I hope they get the general rollout started soon... Dont they know its not nice to tease the animals!
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:22 AM   #43
xnappo

Quote:
The downstairs THD is no longer getting the hits on SDV channels. I think we can safely call it fixed. I hope they get the general rollout started soon... Dont they know its not nice to tease the animals!
That is really great. Thank you so much for your help in identifying the issue.

I take it you have never suffered from GSWD/GDODWS (green screen with siren - not a 'normal' Tivo crash screen but a blank green screen sometimes with a siren noise - linked to HGTV/FOODHD/Comedy Central HD/Versus)?

xnappo
Old 03-23-2010, 11:38 AM   #44
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Grrrrr! (Sound of animal being teased.)

Nice Work SCSIRAID! Fingers crossed the fix works in TWC SW Ohio.

and
Old 03-23-2010, 08:42 PM   #45
bidderman9

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoREvanescence View Post
Yeah, that would be true. the only talk I have heard about f so far is that it contains a mrv bug fix.

You would expect to see 11.1 for the version number if any changes were made / features added.
They spent all of their developers hours/$$$ of the Series 4. No new features for us.
bidderman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 08:54 PM   #46
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnappo View Post
That is really great. Thank you so much for your help in identifying the issue.

I take it you have never suffered from GSWD/GDODWS (green screen with siren - not a 'normal' Tivo crash screen but a blank green screen sometimes with a siren noise - linked to HGTV/FOODHD/Comedy Central HD/Versus)?

xnappo
Fortunately, no. That one ive not seen.

It does look like the 'no suggestions with TA' problem is still there though.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:40 PM   #47
socrplyr

Quote:
Fortunately, no. That one ive not seen.

It does look like the 'no suggestions with TA' problem is still there though.
I get tons of suggestions with mine. Weird... I used not to get suggestions, but that was before I got the TA. I wonder what your problem is.
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:04 PM   #48
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorcatch View Post
Could someone with the update try and download transport stream (TS) files via KMTTG to see if it is supported with the new version?
The only net effect is that it will speed up transfers, right?

It won't make them playable (/editable!) in Quicktime without time-consuming and lossy conversion, right? (I may have asked this in another thread long ago, sorry)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 11:48 PM   #49
vectorcatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
The only net effect is that it will speed up transfers, right?

It won't make them playable (/editable!) in Quicktime without time-consuming and lossy conversion, right? (I may have asked this in another thread long ago, sorry)
There shouldn't be any lossy conversion (or conversion of any kind). It's just a different container. On my PC it takes about 1 hour to download an hour long HD show and less than 15 min to remove commercials and convert it to mp4 (quad core), so for me the download is the long pole in the tent.

I'm not sure about quicktime, but something like ffmpeg should be able to repackage the audio/video stream in an mpeg-PS container without reencoding. That is what the TiVo is doing, it just makes sense to move this processing off to a computer which can do it much faster.

Update: I just checked and VideoRedo, which I bought a little while ago, can edit MPEG-TS files directly.
vectorcatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:19 AM   #50
ayman86

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectorcatch View Post
On my PC it takes about 1 hour to download an hour long HD show .
wow. it took me 7hrs40min for a 3hr baseball program. not sure why. its not like my computer is slow and my network was free.

then again it was a 22GB file. lol. so i guess its probably apples to oranges
ayman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 08:53 AM   #51
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayman86 View Post
wow. it took me 7hrs40min for a 3hr baseball program. not sure why. its not like my computer is slow and my network was free.

then again it was a 22GB file. lol. so i guess its probably apples to oranges
That time is normal if your tuners are tuned to HD stations.

1) Better - Tune your TiVo to SD stations

2) Best - Tune your TiVo to stations that receive no signal.

You should find that your transfer times improve significantly. My understanding is that the bottle neck is the TiVo CPU.

Last edited by waynomo : 03-24-2010 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Spell Correction
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:48 AM   #52
ayman86

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
That time is normal if your tuners are tuned to HD stations.

1) Better - Tune your TiVo to SD stations

2) Best - Tune your TiVo to stations that receive no signal.

You should find that your transfer times improve significantly. My understanding is that the bottle neck is the TiVo CPU.
i knew there was a way to speed it up for i forgot what it was. thanks for the tidbit.
ayman86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:43 AM   #53
TiVoJerry
TiVo Field Trials PM

Hello all,

Yes, 11.0f is indeed a bug fix release and contains no new features. It is still in the Customer Support Ramp phase where we release to a fixed number of units and evaluate the impact to our call centers. Once that period ends, we usually determine that we can release to all boxes at full speed. If you don't have it now, you won't get it until the full rollout begins....and that doesn't take too long.

SCSIRAID is correct that we put a fix in for the SDV pixelation issue. He may not realize it, but he was actually an integral part of pushing TW to reach out to us with extremely technical results that allowed us to find a fix. This simply would not have been possible without his tireless effort working with TW. He is awesome.

A few other things we fixed:
  • S2 units couldn't browse the recordings of an HD model that had a TA attached
  • Antenna stations with mismatched TVCT and PAT table entries have no video
  • Online scheduling not showing current Now Playing and To Do Lists
As TiVoMargret said, we expect to have this release completed by the end of the month (barring unforeseen circumstances, of course).

TiVoJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 11:51 AM   #54
dobbie1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoJerry View Post
A few other things we fixed:[*]Antenna stations with mismatched TVCT and PAT table entries have no video
Thanks for the update TiVoJerry. I look forward to receiving the update on my units. I have a great signal from 3 local stations but no video, maybe this will fix that problem.

Regards
dobbie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:08 PM   #55
Grumock

Just curious how the S2 works with the Tuning Adapter & what benefit you get from it? The S2 does not take a card so how can it even utilize the Tuning adapter for SDV channels. I was under the impression that without a card there was no need for the Tuning adapter unless channels were in SDV in the analog lineup.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #56
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
Just curious how the S2 works with the Tuning Adapter
It doesn't... he's saying that a TiVo HD with a TA wasn't browsable over the network (for MRV) by an S2.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 12:46 PM   #57
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Hello all,

Yes, 11.0f is indeed a bug fix release and contains no new features. ..............SCSIRAID is correct that we put a fix in for the SDV pixelation issue. He may not realize it, but he was actually an integral part of pushing TW to reach out to us with extremely technical results that allowed us to find a fix. This simply would not have been possible without his tireless effort working with TW. He is awesome. ......
Yes, there are a number of us here who realize what we owe to SCSIRAID!

Please tell me there's also a fix for the occasional failure to tune SDV channels? There is a manual workaround for this (tune up 2 channels, then back down) which is documented in the TiVo support pages. But when it happens for a scheduled recording you just lose the recording. I lose an average of two recordings a week due to this.

and
Old 03-24-2010, 02:07 PM   #58
xnappo

Quote:
Hello all,

Yes, 11.0f is indeed a bug fix release and contains no new features.
Hi Jerry,

Thanks a lot for the update! Is there any attempt in this version to fix GSWS (green screen with siren)?

Thanks,
xnappo
Old 03-24-2010, 02:20 PM   #59
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
It doesn't... he's saying that a TiVo HD with a TA wasn't browsable over the network (for MRV) by an S2.
Thanks I was scratching my head on that one.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:20 PM   #60
wired4net

Possible Problem with 11.0f and wdidle3 for WD drives?

Quote:
Hello all,

Yes, 11.0f is indeed a bug fix release and contains no new features. It is still in the Customer Support Ramp phase where we release to a fixed number of units and evaluate the impact to our call centers. Once that period ends, we usually determine that we can release to all boxes at full speed. If you don't have it now, you won't get it until the full rollout begins....and that doesn't take too long.

SCSIRAID is correct that we put a fix in for the SDV pixelation issue. He may not realize it, but he was actually an integral part of pushing TW to reach out to us with extremely technical results that allowed us to find a fix. This simply would not have been possible without his tireless effort working with TW. He is awesome.

A few other things we fixed:
  • S2 units couldn't browse the recordings of an HD model that had a TA attached
  • Antenna stations with mismatched TVCT and PAT table entries have no video
  • Online scheduling not showing current Now Playing and To Do Lists
As TiVoMargret said, we expect to have this release completed by the end of the month (barring unforeseen circumstances, of course).
I was apparently picked for an "early" release of 11.0f. Not sure if it is of interest to you since it does involve a TIVO HD with drive updated to 1TB but please see message #5416 on page 181 of the Tivo Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ in the Tivo Series 3 HDTV DVRs thread (can't post link because I haven't posted 5 times) for the experience I had this past week with a WD10EADS tweaked with wdidle3 to disable IntelliPark and 11.0f.
wired4net is offline   Reply With Quote