TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-13-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
Dylan

FIOS tuner problems

I'm having repeated incidents of pixellation and audio dropouts. It's now to the point where many recordings won't complete. I'll come back to the TiVo later and the signal will be black. I change the channel and it comes back. I believe the symptoms match all of the low pass filter/attenuation issues I've read about. Except for I don't have a high number of RS Uncorrected errors. Does that mean I'm barking up the wrong tree and maybe should be looking at the hard drive?
Dylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
sgip2000

Could be a number of things. Possibly a low signal problem. Check connections and cable. With a digital signal it's harder to check signal levels without equipment.
sgip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:20 PM   #3
Joe Q

Does it happen on specific channels or move around?

Last year when I first bought the TIVO HD XL for my FIOS TV, I had several channels that would pixelate really bad but most did NOT.

I wrote down the actual Frequency of the channels that were breaking up (found under one of the setting menues) and saw that the pixelating channels all were around the same frequency.

I bought that attenuator pack that is linked to in here, fiddled with various values of attenuators and bingo - rock solid picture.

It has been over a year ago but I am 99% sure that the error correction counter went nuts on the pizelating channels AND I am Positive that it was specific to the channel.
Joe Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:05 AM   #4
Capmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Q View Post
Does it happen on specific channels or move around?

Last year when I first bought the TIVO HD XL for my FIOS TV, I had several channels that would pixelate really bad but most did NOT.

I wrote down the actual Frequency of the channels that were breaking up (found under one of the setting menues) and saw that the pixelating channels all were around the same frequency.

I bought that attenuator pack that is linked to in here, fiddled with various values of attenuators and bingo - rock solid picture.

It has been over a year ago but I am 99% sure that the error correction counter went nuts on the pizelating channels AND I am Positive that it was specific to the channel.

Where is this link to the attenuator?
Capmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 09:58 AM   #5
DeWitt

The problem the attenuator fixed was addressed in a software update. Attenuator should not be required any longer. Have a look at the Verizon compatibility thread to see the long tortured history.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
jedi_mike

Dylan, I'm having exactly the same problem as you describe. I see zero RS Corrected and Uncorrected errors, which is very unusual for FIOS. But, after a few seconds of pixelation and dropouts, the TiVo is freezing up and displaying a black screen. Channel change will sometimes fix it, at other times the TiVo is hopelessly locked up or extremely slow to respond to remote commands.

I'm fairly certain that this is a new bug introduced with the 11.0g software patch. It's too much of a coincidence that these new symptoms are happening for multiple users, and all started at exactly the same time as a new patch was released.

I'll contact TiVo customer service, but I don't have much hope that a few lonely voices will convince them there is a serious bug. (We're losing at least 50% of recordings!)
jedi_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #7
turbobuick86

That's paints an ugly picture for those like me on the verge of signing with FIOS. Guess I will stick with just OTA w/netflix til I hear it's safe.

HDXL
TivoHD w/expander
OTA only and luvin it
turbobuick86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 11:19 PM   #8
DeWitt

For what it is worth my HD has had no issues with Fios since the software update for the signal issue (d?). I did remove all attenuation at that point. Just went all premiere and my premier and premier XL also have no Fios issues.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:09 AM   #9
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan View Post
Except for I don't have a high number of RS Uncorrected errors. Does that mean I'm barking up the wrong tree and maybe should be looking at the hard drive?
Yes.

Look to the My DVR Expander first, if you have one. Many report problems with the 500GB My DVR Expander after 12-18 months. That model (or certain versions of it) are known to develop a power supply issue that causes pixelization, audio dropouts, partial recordings, and ultimately reboots, without any errors reported in TiVo diagnostics.

Refer to #8 and #9 in the Known Issues section of the stickied TiVo HD FAQ.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote