TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #1
ntarvin

Arrow Aww, Tivo - why'd you go and blow your perfect opportunity????

I got my Premiere a couple of months ago when Tivo and AntennasDirect had their promotion for "cord cutters"...

A Tivo Premier and an excellent Clearstream antenna for just $99 plus monthly service of $9.99 - OTA only. They said they were going to run the promotion through 11-11-11.

Yesterday I went to the Tivo site, and it's gone! In it's place is a brand new OTA promotion. For *only* $169 you can get Premiere, and a (lesser) antenna. Service is back to $19.95 monthly.

They had a perfect opportunity to virtually OWN the cord cutters and they blew it. The key was the monthly service price of $9.99.

$9.99 a month is in the acceptable range of HuluPlus, NetFlix and Amazon. My total expenses are still below $30 a month. If I had to pay $20, it loses it's value. That bumps my cost up to the range of Dish, DirecTV, etc. I might as well go back to pay tv...

Geez, guys, didn't anyone ever tell you that 3 nickels are better than 1 dime????

-----------
Yes, I posted 'way back in January about the problems I had with that Tivo... in trying it this time, it was much, much better! Having a better antenna worked wonders, and software updates since Jan made a lot of difference. Back then, my Netflix worked very well (now, well, not so much...) It's a trade-off - I just don't watch Netflix on Tivo, but I do use it for all my OTA watching and recording, and I use Streambaby for my movies and vids on my computer. I'm also experimenting with the Logitech Revue, and so far it does well with Tivo.

Last edited by ntarvin : 10-21-2011 at 09:28 AM.
ntarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:22 AM   #2
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntarvin View Post
I got my Premiere a couple of months ago when Tivo and AntennasDirect had their promotion for "cord cutters"...

A Tivo Premier and an excellent Clearstream antenna for just $99 plus monthly service of $9.99 - OTA only. They said they were going to run the promotion through 11-11-11.

Yesterday I went to the Tivo site, and it's gone! In it's place is a brand new OTA promotion. For *only* $169 you can get Premiere, and a (lesser) antenna. Service is back to $19.95 monthly.

They had a perfect opportunity to virtually OWN the cord cutters and they blew it. The key was the monthly service price of $9.99.

$9.99 a month is in the acceptable range of HuluPlus, NetFlix and Amazon. My total expenses are still below $30 a month. If I had to pay $20, it loses it's value. That bumps my cost up to the range of Dish, DirecTV, etc. I might as well go back to pay tv...

Geez, guys, didn't anyone ever tell you that 3 nickels are better than 1 dime????
The $9.99/mo service for OTA only promotion was never promoted on TiVo's web site as far as I know. The only place I saw it was on http://www.solidsignal.com/ and it is still there. So I would expect that the promo code still works.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 10:52 AM   #3
larrs
Movie Fan-Addict

Best buy still has the promotion to buy the antenna and get the premiere free. I think this also gets you the $9.99 per month as well.

(1) Elite
(3) Premieres
(1) HD
(1) Mini
I run
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
with
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
larrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
Johnwashere

Yep others are right. Still seems to be going on for at least a month. box is 99 and :
To qualify for the $9.99 a month TiVo Service you just need to purchase a TiVo Premiere, and sign up for a 1-year TiVo Service 11-15-11, using the activation code: Antenna
Johnwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #5
astrohip
Stuart F

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntarvin View Post
Maybe I'm missing something, but how can you get DirecTV for $20/month?
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
eatswodo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnwashere View Post
Yep others are right. Still seems to be going on for at least a month. box is 99 and :
To qualify for the $9.99 a month TiVo Service you just need to purchase a TiVo Premiere, and sign up for a 1-year TiVo Service 11-15-11, using the activation code: Antenna
..which is exactly what I did yesterday. In doing so, I found my way back here. I was an early TiVo adopter back in 2000 - somehow or other I managed to remember my password, after not being here for 5 years or so...
eatswodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
MeInDallas

Has anyone been able to get the $9.99 deal from Solid Signal then get the $99 lifetime deal on their old Series 3 afterwards? I have 2 Series 3 that are on monthly and I'd like to get them on lifetime but I dunno if TiVo will go for it.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:22 PM   #8
ntarvin

All of you - Thanks for the info about Solid Signal! Tivo should pay attention to what they are doing!

Astrohip - It's not that $20 is in the range of DirecTV, it's that if you have Netflix ($8), HuluPlus ($8), and a $20 a month Tivo bill, you're at $36 - and the sat dish co's now have promotions that start at $29 a month...

My goal is to keep my costs below cable/satellite. I'm dropping HuluPlus (I've had it over a year and never used it - and probably won't need it now that I have OTA network shows on the Tivo), I have Netflix (streaming only) and I have the "p" program (whose name must not be spoken aloud), so my total costs will be about $19 a month.

To keep things interesting (and to play with), I have a Revue - which works beautifully with Tivo (and at $99 who can resist it? LOL!), and a Roku...
ntarvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 10:17 AM   #9
mpogge

I have contact the evil Comcast and threatened to move to DirectTV. They have cut my cable package for the next two years to $35.00 a month and I kept their Digital Starter package which contains way more then I really need but give me a great range of channels. If you push them Comcast will respond.
mpogge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 04:29 PM   #10
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpogge View Post
I have contact the evil Comcast and threatened to move to DirectTV. They have cut my cable package for the next two years to $35.00 a month and I kept their Digital Starter package which contains way more then I really need but give me a great range of channels. If you push them Comcast will respond.
not when I had them. They wouldn't budge on anything. So of course after I left I got flooded with mailings asking me to come back at these super low rates. I am still getting several mailings from them every week. They go right in the trash.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote