TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-15-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
Silverback67

Is it REALLY "Nearly Impossible" to cancel TiVo service?

Recently, my hard drive failed on our Tivo. I started looking at options, and went with a PVR from our cable service provider.

I now need to cancel my Tivo service, but noticed that I can't do it online (which is understandable, as TiVo will want to know why it's being cancelled, and if there's anything they can do to keep you as a customer).

I did a quick Goggle search for "how do i cancel tivo" and found a LOT of complaints from people, ranging from annoying, to nearly fraudulent on TiVo's part.

Needless to say, I had concerns that things would not run smoothly.

I checked with the Better Business Bureau, and TiVo has a good rating now.

Maybe things have become better at Tivo.

That's why I've started this thread. I want to find out what the process of cancelling TiVo is like, and want others to find out what my experience is like.

Some people say that TiVo only suspends their account for a few months, then starts billing again, sending collection agencies after the money when it's not paid. Other's say there is a long string of suspicious "disconnects" when they call to cancel. There are a ton of horror stories.

I'm about to call TiVo Customer Service now. I'll follow up, if necessary, with a certified letter to Tivo, a call to the Better Business Bureau, and a call to my credit card company (I am paying monthly, and not under a long term contract with TiVo).

Stay Tuned here for my results.
Silverback67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #2
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I've cancelled several Tivo subscriptions w/o any problems or hassles.
It only takes a wee tiny bit of assertiveness to interrupt them and tell them to just cancel the subscription. The people that complain about are the spineless people that allow the cs rep to go on and on with suggestions and offers to retain the customer.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:46 AM   #3
Silverback67

At 9:22 I called TiVo Customer Service. I was on hold for only 7 minutes, when Tim answered the phone. Tim was knowledgeable and polite.

He explained some of the options I had, as far as getting other Tivo boxes, or continuing service with TiVo.

I explained that I'd looked at all options, and I wanted my service cancelled immediately, and permanently. I also asked for a case # for my call, which he provided. I also mentioned that I was going to be blogging my experience on the TiVo forum (which may skew the results).

He said, sure, and put me on hold for 2 minutes, and came back and explained that my service was now cancelled.

I thanked him, and took a short online survey about my Customer Service experience, which was great.

This was really quick and painless. Now I will continue to watch my credit card, to make sure nothing gets billed from TiVo.

Assuming nothing will get billed, I'd have to say that all of the complaints from people about not being able to cancel their TiVo service were the exceptions, and not the norm, or maybe TiVo has changed their policies to be much better for cancellations.

I will post follow ups to my experience here...
Old 03-15-2010, 11:04 AM   #4
chicagobrownblue

Also, check online to make sure it reflects the correct status of your account.
RCN Signature HD but no premium channels
Panasonic TC-42PX14 42" 720p plasma HDTV
Sony BDP-S360 Blu-ray Player Refurb $59
chicagobrownblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:09 AM   #5
Bai Shen
Toboggan noggin

I was able to cancel mine with no problems.

Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bai Shen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #6
justen_m

A year or two ago, my S2ST died. It was just before summer, when there isn't much to watch, so I called Tivo to cancel my service. They asked why. I explained. They ended up offering me a S2DT (whohoo, two tuners!) for $49. Couldn't pass that up. So their customer retention efforts worked on me. Heck, now I've got two Tivos and four tuners.

It wasn't a hard sell, and I had planned on getting Tivo again after summer was over, so I was an easy mark to begin with.
justen_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
LifeIsABeach

I called to cancel one of my TiVos. They started the retention spiel and I told them I had sold the unit on eBay and was waiting for them to cancel it so that I can send it out and have the new owner subscribe it. They couldn't cancel it fast enough. YMMV
Old 03-15-2010, 03:45 PM   #8
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

It's always a good idea to complain about how hard it is to do something before even trying to do it.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

I also had a situation where I wanted to cancel, the rep on the other end was easy to deal with and understood when I shut him down about retention, took all of 15 minutes including all hold times.

Diane
Old 03-15-2010, 05:53 PM   #10
Mike-Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablemodem View Post
It's always a good idea to complain about how hard it is to do something before even trying to do it.

this cracked me up

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mike-Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #11
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike-Mike View Post
this cracked me up
Creating a Tivo Community Forum account to complain in advance about what Tivo might do was the piece de resistance.

And then the Emily Littela, always a favorite.

Premo stuff!
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:24 PM   #12
nrc
Cracker Soul

Ah, give the guy a break. It' can't hurt to find out if there's particular information he should be aware of or have handy when he calls to cancel.

I just wonder how many of those who reportedly found it "nearly impossible" were still in their 12 month commitment.

Not entirely square
nrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 07:55 PM   #13
Wil
Senile Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
Ah, give the guy a break. It' can't hurt to find out if there's particular information he should be aware of or have handy when he calls to cancel.
Agreed. I was out of line.

Of course, before I responded to you, I thought I should check you out, thus my thread "Is nrc REALLY a shoplifter, a hit and run killer, an ex-convict, an informer, a little child molester and an alcoholic?"

Extra points for the errata on the above, BTW.
Wil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #14
Silverback67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablemodem View Post
In my defense, I didn't complain about ANYTHING. I merely stated that there were a LOT of complaints (from OTHERS) all over the internet about TiVo's cancellation processes.

I wanted people to know about my experience, so in the future, when someone searches the net about it, they've got more info.

In this case, it seems that TiVo is not really as bad as some people say, and I think it's important for people to know TiVo has perhaps been given a bad rap...

I loved my Tivo. I may get one again some day. And so far, TiVo Customer Service has been really good.

So to shoot your quote back at you (modified):
It's always a good idea to blame someone for something they didn't do...
Old 03-16-2010, 03:17 PM   #15
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

I'm glad it worked out for you. There have been lots of new accounts here lately started by people who have an anti-TiVo agenda.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 03:34 PM   #16
Adam1115
20,000!!!

I canceled in November. They didn't offer me anything or try to keep me at all, which was a little disappointing. I would've stayed if they had offered the $99 lifetime after my 3 year prepay expired for example...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:01 PM   #17
rlc1
Frakking idiot

Hey, nice knowing ya, don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out
rlc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:08 AM   #18
nrc
Cracker Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil View Post
Agreed. I was out of line.

Of course, before I responded to you, I thought I should check you out, thus my thread "Is nrc REALLY a shoplifter, a hit and run killer, an ex-convict, an informer, a little child molester and an alcoholic?"

Extra points for the errata on the above, BTW.
Well, you're never really a an "ex-convict" and my wife was under age when we started dating...

Not entirely square
nrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:54 PM   #19
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
I've cancelled several Tivo subscriptions w/o any problems or hassles.
It only takes a wee tiny bit of assertiveness to interrupt them and tell them to just cancel the subscription. The people that complain about are the spineless people that allow the cs rep to go on and on with suggestions and offers to retain the customer.
Moxi has no monthly fees so this would not be a problem with Moxi
Old 03-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #20
Raj
On air all the time

It's not difficult at all, although I did get cut off by one CSR. But I called back and was able to cancel without issue. They did try to give me the whole marketing spiel about the Premiere DVRs but I simply said no and they canceled my DVR that I wanted to cancel.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:55 AM   #21
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlc1 View Post
Hey, nice knowing ya, don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out
Interesting response from someone that gets whiny/pissy when people don't hold your hand and coddle you.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #22
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Interesting response from someone that gets whiny/pissy when people don't hold your hand and coddle you.
Moxi folks will hold your hand and coddle you - just check out the AVS forum
Old 03-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #23
HiDefGator

How hard can it be to cancel if several thousand people manage to do it every month?
HiDefGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 02:50 PM   #24
Mr. Broflovski

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefGator View Post
How hard can it be to cancel if several thousand people manage to do it every month?
ding ding ding

we have a winna!
Mr. Broflovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #25
HazelW

So if you have a prepaid plan and cancel, does the service continue until the end of the term of the prepay? I assume they will not refund your money.
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #26
shawngreg

Dear LOrd

Good lord it is difficult to cancel this TiVo. I never get mad on the phone and the guy was starting to make me mad. He didn't get that I wanted to cancel. Why don't we charge you month to month. Argh...Good luck to all in the future!
shawngreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:40 PM   #27
jrtroo
User

goodby.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:35 PM   #28
BigJimOutlaw

The one thing I always found funny was when I've called to cancel old/replaced Tivos, they tried to sell me another one. Err... That's not just the opposite of cancel, that's trying to make me spend more (to buy it) when I wanted to spend nothing.

They're funny like that.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:24 PM   #29
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
They're funny like that.
Pretty much all companies that bill you every month are like that. Including DirecTV, Verizon FiOS, Comcast, etc. But to greater or lesser degree, depending on how the company is doing financially at the time.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:30 PM   #30
Dan203
Super Moderator

I had a weird situation once where my father had canceled the credit card that was attached to a TiVo which he had been paying yearly service on. When the service came due he was no longer using that TiVo so he just did nothing. Well the TiVo was attached to my account* and when he didn't pay they locked down the whole account so I couldn't do anything until it was taken care of. I called and canceled the TiVo but after a few days it still didn't take. I called back and it turns out they can't cancel a TiVo which is not current on payments. So I ended up having to pay for 1 month of service on the box to get it "current" then they were able to cancel it. So it cost me $10 to cancel his TiVo.

Dan

* It was attached to my account because I bought it as a gift many years ago and paid the first year of service on my card.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote