TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
Joi

Thumbs up Series 1 Tivo w/Entone HydraHD digital cable

Followup for case 100307-002939

I have an ancient Phillips TiVo (Series 1, before they were calling them that...) I just moved to a new place and now have Illinois Consolidated's 3-way phone/internet/cable package. They provided me with an Entone HydraHD digital cable box. The old TiVo is still running 3.x software and Entone isn't listed as a supported cable box in Guided Setup.

I worked with Rebecca (who was extremely helpful) but we didn't have current information. She gave me a link to an Entone website with a PDF discussing configuring the Tivo for use with the Hydra II. Those instructions did not work. We rather gave up at that point, and I proceeded through the rest of Guided Setup witout the IR. While that was working, I went back to Entone's website and found a different document that discusses the HydraHD. I followed those instructions, and it worked! So, here's a follow-up for that case and for the community, as Rebecca requested:

Cable box: Entone model #95-800000-03 "High Definition Television Receiver" (But no where does it call itself a Hydra, Hydra II, or Hydra HD. The instruction book for the universal remote packaged with it calls it a Hydra II remote, but the box itself does not.)

Tivo: Philips Series 1 (circa 1996)

Follow the directions here:
www entone com assets File/Reference_Guides HydraH Tivo settin instructions.pdf

(link mangled to get it past your stupid new-users-can't-post-links rule.)

My cable box and its remote was setup for the 'Magnavox 10024-B' IR remote code. You have to get into the Entone's IR setup and check what its set to, then match the TiVo IR settings with it. Once I knew it was a Magnavox setting, I was able to go right through the TiVo's Cable Box setup and select code 10024-medium speed, and it worked on the first try.

This is the cable box Consolidated Communications is installing for DSL customers in Mattoon, IL, at least.

I wish to compliment Rebecca, who spent quite some time with me over online chat this afternoon, trying to resolve this. She could have simply hung up on me when I told her my cable box wasn't in the list of supported receivers, but she didn't, and even though she didn't have access to the specific information for my cable box, it did get me onto the right web site and I found the solution there. I very much appreciate that TiVo support was open on a Sunday Afternoon and was willing to try helping me despite the age of my TiVo and the unusual cable box I'm stuck with.

Thank you!

PS. Refusing to let new users post hyperlinks in followup postings like this is absolutely stupid. How am I supposed to help other users in my area get their TiVos working without the link to the official instructions?!
Joi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joi View Post

PS. Refusing to let new users post hyperlinks in followup postings like this is absolutely stupid. How am I supposed to help other users in my area get their TiVos working without the link to the official instructions?!
Not allowing hyperlinks from new users is to prevent spam.
It's great that Rebecca at TiVo was able to help but this website is a completely separate entity from TiVo Inc. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with singing the praises of Tivo's CS here or with posting helpful information for others. If you want to let Tivo know how great Rebecca is, you should probably tell Tivo directly.

I believe this is the right link
http://www.entone.com/assets/File/Re...structions.pdf
If not, there are others here
http://www.entone.com/support/product-support-materials