TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 10:49 AM   #61
jmpage2
Registered User
 
jmpage2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
Why does it matter which one is the main box? Are you thinking about making the Premiere your only box (i.e., selling the other one)? If so, I don't think you get any discount on service when that eventually happens.
It turns out it was worse than I thought. $100 off the premiere and an offer to make my existing TiVo HD a lifetime box for $300. Then the premiere needs to go under a multi-room discount plan.

If I buy a lifetime plan on the Premiere it will be the regular $400 I expect.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #62
kettledrum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Fishers, IN
Posts: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethead28 View Post
I agree!

TiVo Premiere XL upgrade for me:

From S3 with lifetime > XL $499.99 + $199.99 = $699.99

From HD without lifetime > XL $399.99 + $299.99 = $698.99
Actually the two options are the same as $399.99 + 299.99 = $699.98 not $698.99 but who's quibbling over $0.99?


Personally I was hoping for the same upgrade offer as what TiVo was doing on the HD....$450 including lifetime. No such luck though.
kettledrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:54 PM   #63
chg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by klondikejim View Post
I called TIVO, and they said if I ordered from Best Buy, I would have to pay full price, plus pay full price for lifetime sub. Deal only saves cash if purchased through TIVO
I hope this changes, or, ends up not to be true. I would like to get one of these from BB then upgrade to lifetime for the 199 price. I have two Tivo HD with lifetime, now.
chg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 07:38 AM   #64
bciocco
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 49
No upgrade offer for me, I go monthly with my TiVo HD.
I would go lifetime with my HD with almost any incentive. My one year expires in April.
Are there any deals out there?
bciocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:31 PM   #65
wwu123
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 24
I currently have a TivoHD on annual plan that renews on April 12, which is the same day that the Premiere starts shipping. I'd like to pre-order a new Premiere with lifetime with the MSD, so $239 + $299 = $538, but cancel the old TivoHD when its current plan expires.

Do you think the pre-order will lose the MSD if I cancel the TivoHD right on April 11 or a few days before?

Also, the problem with the upgrade offer is it wants to transfer my current annual plan to the new Premiere, but put the lifetime with MSD on the old box. Is there actually a way to get the $239 price on the Premiere and get the lifetime MSD for $299 on that box?

Last edited by wwu123 : 03-10-2010 at 08:39 PM.
wwu123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:55 PM   #66
OvrrDrive
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 213
I have a monthly tivohd and got the 20% off but nothing at all on the bill.
OvrrDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #67
innocentfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwu123 View Post
Also, the problem with the upgrade offer is it wants to transfer my current annual plan to the new Premiere, but put the lifetime with MSD on the old box. Is there actually a way to get the $239 price on the Premiere and get the lifetime MSD for $299 on that box?
I would just call and ask. They may be able to do that over the phone. Post back and let us know how it goes.
__________________
1 - TiVo Roamio Pro
2 - TiVo Premiere XL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 10:59 PM   #68
jfh3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denver area
Posts: 4,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwu123 View Post
I currently have a TivoHD on annual plan that renews on April 12, which is the same day that the Premiere starts shipping. I'd like to pre-order a new Premiere with lifetime with the MSD, so $239 + $299 = $538, but cancel the old TivoHD when its current plan expires.

Do you think the pre-order will lose the MSD if I cancel the TivoHD right on April 11 or a few days before?

Also, the problem with the upgrade offer is it wants to transfer my current annual plan to the new Premiere, but put the lifetime with MSD on the old box. Is there actually a way to get the $239 price on the Premiere and get the lifetime MSD for $299 on that box?
I think you mis-read the upgrade offer - the plan you order with the Premiere is for the Premiere. If the box you are "upgrading" isn't already on lifetime, you will be asked what you want to do with the old box as part of the Premiere upgrade order. If the existing box is lifetime, that step is skipped, as it indicates that the "old" lifetime remains on the "old" box.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:32 AM   #69
TVCricket
HDUI
 
TVCricket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 136
I have an old S2 Tivo. My only offer is 50% off lifetime subscription.
__________________
OTA Only
TiVo Premiere w/ 2 TB HDD from dvr_dude
TVCricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 01:54 AM   #70
gamo62
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 399
I tried checking the upgrade offer as I am in the last 9 months of my 3 yr agreement. When I add the Premiere, the only option given is to transfer the current warranty. I do not have the option to add Lifetime to the new box. I DO have the option to add it to the old THD. Looks like I might just have to buy one at regular price.
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 03:37 AM   #71
TrueTurbo
Registered User
 
TrueTurbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamo62 View Post
I tried checking the upgrade offer as I am in the last 9 months of my 3 yr agreement. When I add the Premiere, the only option given is to transfer the current warranty. I do not have the option to add Lifetime to the new box. I DO have the option to add it to the old THD. Looks like I might just have to buy one at regular price.
I'm in the same boat, but I'm not interested in a lifetime plan anyway. I bought the 3 yr plan when I got the TiVo HD and I'm replacing it before the 3 yrs are up. The remainder of the plan is being transferred to the Premier XL I ordered and I'll buy another 3 yr plan when I need to renew.

I reckon 3 yrs is about right between platform refreshes. I suspect there will be another TiVo hardware refresh in about 3 yrs from now. If not, I'll probably move on to whatever is the latest and greatest hardware available at that time.

However, you shouldn't have to pay the regular price! You should at least get the same upgrade offer I did, which was $100 off the price of the Premier XL.
TrueTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:31 AM   #72
TroyB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 63
I am kind of nervous about jumping in and buying these to replace my S3's. When they came out I bought 2 of them at $799 each plus a lifetime card from eBay for one of them for another $600. Then what was it around a year later they came out with the TiVo HD saying they couldn't make the previous S3 only use 1 cable card and with a bigger hard drive plus they started selling lifetime again.
So I spent $2,200 plus I pay $6.95 a month for the other unit without lifetime.
I'm worried if I buy these, it will be like when the TiVo HD came out. We will get a different one come out in a year with more than 2 tuners and streaming capabilities with Tivo saying, "Sorry we can't update the current units to do this"
TroyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:57 AM   #73
aaronwt
HD Addict
 
aaronwt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Northern VA(Woodbridge)
Posts: 13,382
How could you update the current premiere to more tuners unless the hardware is already onboard?
__________________
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini x3
Roamio Basic OTA
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:06 AM   #74
TroyB
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
How could you update the current premiere to more tuners unless the hardware is already onboard?
That is what I am saying. TiVo would announce that they couldn't do it and say we could buy the new slightly changed version that would do it. Just like they did with the TiVo HD.
TroyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:25 AM   #75
Grakthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 573
Upgrade pricing from 3rd party....

I have an existing S2 with lifetime (the thing has been running strong since 2002! ) and an S3 with the grandfathered in multi-service discount (6.99).

I'm interesting in buying a premiere... I have various discounts and rewards built up from Amazon, so Id ideally like to buy it from them. But I have an offer from TiVo on my S2 to get -200 on a lifetime for a new Premiere.

So here's the question... can I buy the box from Amazon and the still get my cheap lifetime sub "upgrade" pricing from TiVo? Or do I have to buy the box from them too?

Has anyone investigated this? If not, I may be placing a call / starting a chat with TiVo support to find out soon.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 08:37 AM   #76
Grakthis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroyB View Post
I am kind of nervous about jumping in and buying these to replace my S3's. When they came out I bought 2 of them at $799 each plus a lifetime card from eBay for one of them for another $600. Then what was it around a year later they came out with the TiVo HD saying they couldn't make the previous S3 only use 1 cable card and with a bigger hard drive plus they started selling lifetime again.
So I spent $2,200 plus I pay $6.95 a month for the other unit without lifetime.
I'm worried if I buy these, it will be like when the TiVo HD came out. We will get a different one come out in a year with more than 2 tuners and streaming capabilities with Tivo saying, "Sorry we can't update the current units to do this"
Hi, Troy! Welcome to life as a first adopter. It's a trade-off... you have to decide if you have the mindset to end up overpaying for an inferior product to be on the front lines of the latest and greatest. But if you decide it's worth it, you don't get to complain when the price drops on a better product 6 months later. You just can't have it both ways. Either you get to be first, or you get to wait for the optimum price/feature point.

There are some products that I always wait on the price drop for... and others that I must have right away. But rest assured, TiVo has been better than most companies (with the possible exception of Microsoft, who are abnormally generous in rewarding their early adopters) in keeping their early adopters happy. They offered a cheap lifetime for people who bought S3's early and took the 3 year pre-pay... they offer nice upgrade pricing discounts for people with S2's and S3's... they offer healthy MS discounts for people with multiple boxes.

I mean, I can guarantee you Apple has never offered a -200 discount on the latest iPhone if you have the previous generation (AT&T offered a discount for re-upping your contract though) and for a long time they charged for software updates on the iPod Touch!

Anyways, this doesn't feel like a new offering priced at a premium... I feel like tiVo is already hitting a good price point at $299. I expect to see a drop down to 249 by the holidays (it would be positively magical if they could hit 199, but that seems like a pipe dream unless they get something going with Google to subsidize the hardware in exchange for supplying massive user data and giving Google some interface control)... but $50 is a small price to pay to get in early compared to what I have paid in "early adopter tax" for some other products in my life. Let me tell you about being an early adopter of DVD or HDTVs.... the first HDTV in my family doesn't even have DVI.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:42 PM   #77
wwu123
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh3 View Post
I think you mis-read the upgrade offer - the plan you order with the Premiere is for the Premiere. If the box you are "upgrading" isn't already on lifetime, you will be asked what you want to do with the old box as part of the Premiere upgrade order. If the existing box is lifetime, that step is skipped, as it indicates that the "old" lifetime remains on the "old" box.
No, there was nothing to mis-read. The upgrade process only gives you a few options - first, if you click the Upgrade offer button (with the 20% discount), it puts it in your cart and automatically says your current Tivo's plan will be transferred to the new Premiere. In my case that's an annual plan that happens to need renewing the same date.

Then the next page asks if you want to keep your old Tivo for a 2nd bedroom, etc. Here I can choose the standard MSD offers including lifetime for $299, but only for the old box.

I don't see a way to choose a lifetime plan for the Premiere when I go through the 20% discount offer.
wwu123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:59 PM   #78
jfh3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Denver area
Posts: 4,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwu123 View Post
and automatically says your current Tivo's plan will be transferred to the new Premiere.
I'd call Tivo and ask - something doesn't seem right.

One of my boxes is on a monthly plan and I didn't have that text at all - it was very clear the plan you were picking was for the Premiere NOT that the old plan was being transferred.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:43 PM   #79
gweempose
Registered User
 
gweempose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Northbrook, IL
Posts: 1,687
It is definitely somewhat confusing when you are upgrading a box with a monthly sub. After you choose the Premiere model you want to buy, the next screen says "Your current service plan will transfer to your new Premiere". Once you hit continue, you will then be asked if you would like to "Continue service on your current TiVo DVR?" At this point, you can either choose to de-activate your old TiVo, or select a new service plan for it at the MSD price.
gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 11:58 AM   #80
bobrt6676
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Huber Heights, Ohio
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grakthis View Post
I have an existing S2 with lifetime (the thing has been running strong since 2002! ) and an S3 with the grandfathered in multi-service discount (6.99).

I'm interesting in buying a premiere... I have various discounts and rewards built up from Amazon, so Id ideally like to buy it from them. But I have an offer from TiVo on my S2 to get -200 on a lifetime for a new Premiere.

So here's the question... can I buy the box from Amazon and the still get my cheap lifetime sub "upgrade" pricing from TiVo? Or do I have to buy the box from them too?

Has anyone investigated this? If not, I may be placing a call / starting a chat with TiVo support to find out soon.
I just chatted with TIVO and the PLS 50% discount is ONLY available on units purchased from TIVO. Bummer I have BB rewards to spend.
bobrt6676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #81
zeke009
yeap...
 
zeke009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 35
[quote=jfh3;7821726]I'd call Tivo and ask - something doesn't seem right.

One of my boxes is on a monthly plan and I didn't have that text at all - it was very clear the plan you were picking was for the Premiere NOT that the old plan was being transferred.[/QUOTE
I noticed this as well, but it appears the service that rolls over to Premiere is the prepaid options.

I have a S2 unit which is prepaird until August of 2010, on the Tivo site that plan rolls over to the new unit. On my Tivo HD unit which is monthly, there is no mention of service rolling over to the new unit.

If I do this, I'll end up "upgrading" my S2 and getting a monthly plan on that S2 Tivo. My personal issue is do I want to spend another $300 on a lifetime plan for the Premiere from my tax refund.
__________________
TiVo Premiere - hard wired
TiVo Premiere XL - MoCA
StreamBaby & PyTiVo on WHS2011
zeke009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 02:33 PM   #82
atmuscarella
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 3,786
Well I have 3 tivos now and each has an upgrade offer

A Series 2 and a TiVo HD (they both have lifetime on them now) have the same offer
  • Box Price: Premiere $300 or Premiere XL $500
  • Service Price: $199 for lifetime, or $99 for 12 months, or 9.95/mo

Another Series 2 that I pay monthly (currently $6.95/mo) had a different offer
  • Box Price: Premiere $240 or Premiere XL $400
  • Service Price: $299 for lifetime, or $99 for 12 months, or 9.95/mo

I have actually decided not to upgrade at this time and just ordered a reconditioned Series 3 through the woot offer for $175 and will replace the Series 2 that I pay monthly on with that Series 3. Before the reconditioned Series 3 offer came along I was ready to order a new TiVo Premiere for $300 with the $199 lifetime service. It also would have replaced the Series 2 that is monthly.

My TiVos are all connected via DSL. The TiVo HD and soon to arrive Series 3 are/will be used for OTA only and the remaining Series 2 is used for Dishnetwork - my dishnetwork subscription is currently a low end subscription and SD only.

Thanks,
__________________
atmuscarella
R.I.P. - 04/04 - Dish 510
09/05 - Humax T-800
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 03-15-2010 at 03:42 PM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:49 PM   #83
comma, splice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by klondikejim View Post
I called TIVO, and they said if I ordered from Best Buy, I would have to pay full price, plus pay full price for lifetime sub. Deal only saves cash if purchased through TIVO
FWIW, I was told the exact same thing.
comma, splice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:21 PM   #84
ThreeSoFar'sBro
Sports Nut
 
ThreeSoFar'sBro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 1,443
I have a Premiere lifetime, but don't see upgrade anywhere. Is it on the purchase page, or somewhere else?
ThreeSoFar'sBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:23 PM   #85
innocentfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Florida
Posts: 8,442
It went away a while back after one of the site changes. The only current offers are the multiservice discount.
__________________
1 - TiVo Roamio Pro
2 - TiVo Premiere XL

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |