TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-03-2010, 10:05 AM   #31
theoryzero

Thanks, another question...is one only able to upgrade by ordering directly through TiVo? For example, could I order the Premiere through Amazon and then have my friend activate it and still get the discount on the Lifetime service?
theoryzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:13 AM   #32
jaybird13

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoryzero View Post
Thanks, another question...is one only able to upgrade by ordering directly through TiVo? For example, could I order the Premiere through Amazon and then have my friend activate it and still get the discount on the Lifetime service?
Probably a question you'll have to call TiVo to get the answer to.

I seriously doubt that will be an option, but that's just my opinion.
jaybird13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #33
cherry ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
No. For the first time with one of these upgrade offers, they're saying the product lifetime on the original stays. They even go so far as to suggest you sell your existing box if you don't have a need for it.
Thanks
cherry ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #34
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

This is a considerably better upgrade offer than TiVo gave when the S3 came out and I bought it. That offer was a lifetime transfer for $199; this is an additional lifetime for $199. You get to keep the old lifetime!

(To prisk : there was never a $100 transfer option when the S3 came out).
Old 03-03-2010, 11:34 AM   #35
nickels
opinionated dope

It looks like for me the total is about $500 to get the TiVo Premiere with Lifetime service, plus I still keep lifetime on my S2. This is a big improvement from the $700 I paid to get the TiVo HD with Lifetime a few years ago.

Get Premiere
Ships in early April -- order yours today!
$299.99
and get $200 off
Product Lifetime service

When I try to add it to my cart it says that Lifetime is $399 (not $200) - hmmmm
Take two - this time it came up as $199
Subtotal:
$498.99
Old 03-03-2010, 11:57 AM   #36
blacknoi

Same for me: about 535 bux with tax for a lifetime'd Premier nonXL if I do the upgrade from my lifetime unit.

Or about 40 bux more if I upgrade from my MSD'ed unit (and my existing MSD'ed unit bumps up from 6.99 to 9.99 a month).

The choice is clear if I am going to upgrade.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:31 PM   #37
natkins

I've been using an old series 2 for over 7 years now and it's still going strong. But now I think it's time to go ahead and get the Premiere and hook it up to my newly purchased HDTV.

Here's my question: when I log into my Tivo account my upgrade offer is $200 off lifetime service. Do I have to order the Premiere from Tivo (and wait till April to get it) to receive the discount? Or can I purchase it at Best Buy, (which says they will be available later this month), then go to Tivo.com and activate my service and STILL get the $200 lifetime discount?

Thanks.
natkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #38
Kit_C

I have an HD and an S3 with lifetime, each with upgraded internal drives (500GB on the HD and 1TB on the S3). I got the $200 off lifetime offer on each.

I checked ebay completed sales this morning, and unless the Premiere causes these prices to tank, I believe I can fully recoup my upgrade costs to repace both units.

My only concern is that it requires a truck roll from Time Warner, which is a box of chocolates.

On the upside, I'll save some money each month by having a single M-card in each Premiere, rather than needing 2 S-cards in the S3 and an M-card in the HD.

I'm in for two upgrades unless the GUI is broken.

We won't know this until the boxes ship, but what do you think the chances are that the non-XL model will utilize space beyond 1.2TB, like the Tivo HD XL can?

Kit

Last edited by Kit_C : 03-03-2010 at 12:40 PM.
Kit_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:34 PM   #39
Ruth
Now with toddler

Are these upgrade offers time-limited? Any idea how long they will be available?
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #40
aindik

I have the $199 for lifetime offer four times.

Anyone know if the Premiere still has eSata and, if so, if the MyDVR drives still work with them?

If TiVo is encouraging people to upgrade to the Premiere and sell their older boxes, it would be nice if there were a way to transfer all your shows from one to the other (without copying to a computer and then copying back). It would also be nice if my eSATA drive from my HD could be configured to work with the premiere with my shows intact.
aindik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #41
jmpage2

I priced out a Premiere just for fun and I'm confused. I chose the primary TiVo I have which is on a 3 year pre-paid contract (I do $99 annually on my 2nd unit).

For service it is only offering me multi-room discounts, there doesn't appear to be an option to treat the new box as the "main" box for the system.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #42
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickels View Post
It looks like for me the total is about $500 to get the TiVo Premiere with Lifetime service, plus I still keep lifetime on my S2.
Yeah, my original plan was to just get this and replace my S3 (monthly sub, ends in June)... but getting a LT Premiere for $500 (I have a LT Series 2 already) is really tempting...
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #43
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
I priced out a Premiere just for fun and I'm confused. I chose the primary TiVo I have which is on a 3 year pre-paid contract (I do $99 annually on my 2nd unit).

For service it is only offering me multi-room discounts, there doesn't appear to be an option to treat the new box as the "main" box for the system.
Why does it matter which one is the main box? Are you thinking about making the Premiere your only box (i.e., selling the other one)? If so, I don't think you get any discount on service when that eventually happens.
aindik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:47 PM   #44
klondikejim

I called TIVO, and they said if I ordered from Best Buy, I would have to pay full price, plus pay full price for lifetime sub. Deal only saves cash if purchased through TIVO
klondikejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:52 PM   #45
natkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by klondikejim View Post
I called TIVO, and they said if I ordered from Best Buy, I would have to pay full price, plus pay full price for lifetime sub. Deal only saves cash if purchased through TIVO
Thanks for that. Guess I'll be ordering directly from Tivo then.
natkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #46
theoryzero

Quote:
Originally Posted by klondikejim View Post
Thanks for the info!
theoryzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:02 PM   #47
Corran Horn

For me, upgrading my S3, $299/$499 Premiere/XL, $200 off lifetime.

For my S1, $239.99/$399 Premiere/XL. (S1 does not have lifetime)

So basically, $500 for the Premiere with PLS. For me, not nearly enough feature upgrades to justify that.
Old 03-03-2010, 03:19 PM   #48
unruly1

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
For the Tivo HD it definitely sounds like it would be better to buy from BB or Amazon and just replace the TSN.
Not to take this thread off topic but can you explain what you mean by "replace TSN"?
I assume you aren't referring to a Lifetime Service TiVo because if you are then wouldn't that be basically a lifetime service transfer?
Thanks
unruly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 03:23 PM   #49
k2ue
Retired RF Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
Anyone know if the Premiere still has eSata and, if so, if the MyDVR drives still work with them?
Yes, the TiVo.com Accessories page on the 1TB Extender explicitly says it works with the Premieres. I'm moving mine over.
Old 03-03-2010, 07:48 PM   #50
Riptide

All three of my TiVos are lifetime and they are offering $200 off the cost of lifetime for each unit. I called and asked if they had a special offer for those long time customers for just the hardware. I was hoping for an additional incentive so that I could use a Lifetime Gift Card. I can apply the Lifetime Gift Card but there are no special hardware deals for us...
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:38 PM   #51
Karnwine

Do these special deals for current customers have an expiration date?
I'm interested in replacing my S2 but want to wait for some hands-on reviews.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:51 PM   #52
stiber

Bargaining mojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by prisk View Post
I have lifetime on my Series 2 and was offered $200 off the new lifetime subscription for the new Premier box, but the box was $299 (full list). After much wrangling on the phone he offered to take $25 off the box...
prisk, you must have some serious mojo. I chatted up one of their operators, mentioned that I read a report of someone getting 10% off (OK, a slight exaggeration), said I'd get the XL if they could give me a break on the hardware cost, but no dice -- only got the same offer as I could get online. So, I told them no deal and she said goodbye and that was that.

Presumably, sales reps are authorized to make deals. Maybe the rep had sold enough units that she didn't feel the need to make the sale? Or I have anti-mojo...
stiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:20 PM   #53
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit_C View Post

I checked eBay completed sales this morning, and unless the Premiere causes these prices to tank, I believe I can fully recoup my upgrade costs to replace both units.
I suppose you could always put a "Buy it Now" price that is equal to or more than what it will cost you to upgrade to the Premiere. What have you got to lose? As far as I can tell, you are only risking the eBay listing fees. If you're going to do it, though, you better hurry. Like you said, once a flood of used Series 3s hit the market, their value could plummet rather quickly.
gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:29 PM   #54
t1voproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruly1 View Post
Not to take this thread off topic but can you explain what you mean by "replace TSN"?
On any product other than "Lifetime" you can change the tivo service number under my account at tivo.com if you ever replace the machine.

I get the same offers as everyone else. Interesting that I paid $500 back in 2004 for a Series 2 and Lifetime and the current upgrade offer is the same price.
t1voproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:46 PM   #55
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by t1voproof View Post

Interesting that I paid $500 back in 2004 for a Series 2 and Lifetime and the current upgrade offer is the same price.
If you factor in inflation, the new machine is technically cheaper.
gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:12 PM   #56
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

"Pricing and program availability is subject to change at anytime."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 03:16 AM   #57
Bsteenson
TiVo is no BS

Do we know for sure that these will be available at amazon.com, or anywhere else other than through TiVo or at Best Buy? They are not listed for presale on Amazon right now (although, interestingly, they still have HDs and HD XLs available). With Best Buy's marketing commitment it wouldn't surprise me if they got exclusivity for at least a while.
Series 2 DT (2); Series 2 (2); Series 1 (2)
Bsteenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:42 AM   #58
Aero 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsteenson View Post
Do we know for sure that these will be available at amazon.com, or anywhere else other than through TiVo or at Best Buy? They are not listed for presale on Amazon right now (although, interestingly, they still have HDs and HD XLs available). With Best Buy's marketing commitment it wouldn't surprise me if they got exclusivity for at least a while.
its been on amazon preorder since the announcement

http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-TCD746320...7706518&sr=8-2
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:14 AM   #59
Nethead28

Quote:
Originally Posted by paladin732 View Post
Has anyone else noticed that the $200 "OFF" lifetime for existing lifetime boxes is really only "$100 off". Think about it. You already get $100 off of lifetime by using the Multi Service Discount. You can verify this by acting like you are simply going to buy a box (without clicking the upgrade link) while logged into your account.

I feel like the "$200 off as a special upgrade offer" is kinda like false advertising, since it is really only $100 additional

I agree!

TiVo Premiere XL upgrade for me:

From S3 with lifetime > XL $499.99 + $199.99 = $699.99

From HD without lifetime > XL $399.99 + $299.99 = $698.99

OK so they deduct from one to make up difference they raise the other.

So it will cost me $1.00 "MORE" because I have lifetime on said TiVo.

Yeah TiVo! Great upgrade option for lifetimers!

If it were really $200.00 off of lifetime the price should be $599.99 total for a new TiVo Premiere XL, not $699.99
Nethead28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #60
Kit_C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethead28 View Post
I agree!

TiVo Premiere XL upgrade for me:

From S3 with lifetime > XL $499.99 + $199.99 = $699.99

From HD without lifetime > XL $399.99 + $299.99 = $698.99

OK so they deduct from one to make up difference they raise the other.

So it will cost me $1.00 "MORE" because I have lifetime on said TiVo.

Yeah TiVo! Great upgrade option for lifetimers!

If it were really $200.00 off of lifetime the price should be $599.99 total for a new TiVo Premiere XL, not $699.99
It seems like Tivo is rewarding you for having multiple units AND for having lifetime on the S3. And you get to keep or sell the old lifetime unit with its service intact.

No upgrade plan is going to make everyone happy.
Kit_C is offline   Reply With Quote