TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-14-2010, 01:59 PM   #181
JARNJ3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
I believe you will need to use the SD menus (the one's that you are used to)- but even forgoing HD menues and content- you will get dual tuners, can kiss the ir blasters controlling the fios box goodbye, will have other online content available that you can't get on the S2's, and will directly record the bits that fios sends down the line rather than the fios box converting the digital bits to analog and then the S2 taking the analog and converting it to digital on it's drive again.

So even for SD the premiere has much value other an S2.

You WILL likely give up VOD and PPV for the extra items.

that said- your S2 probably fixed itself already.
Thanks so much for the info. The S2 did fix it itself - but the recorded video now freezes sporadically - it seems to be prevalent on almost every other recording. And you can't fast forward through it..... that gets stuck as well.

I don't use VOD or PPV on this television - so it sound like premiere may be the way to go - and I will have HD recording available if I ever get an HD TV for this room.
JARNJ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 07:51 PM   #182
angel35

Any one get this in the music & photosWhen you hit on it sometimes you will get a error and you have to change to Tivo beacon or Bonjour to get it to work.any one know why it will not stay fixed. The error ## is 3-43-100 any one what that # is???

DT-649

DT- 649 -180

HD S3 -648

Tivo-HD -652

Last edited by angel35 : 05-23-2010 at 10:58 AM.
angel35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 06:37 AM   #183
epstewart

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
I was able to watch Elephants Dream from w6rz.net in full 1080p24 via both push and pull with no delay, once the TS file was remuxed into MPG format with Streamclip.
Hi,

I'd like to know more about how to make use of TS files (transport stream files) downloaded using kmttg from my Premiere to my iMac.

After downloading several TS files of programs that were not copy protected, I tried playing one in Toast Video Player, and it played fine.

Then I tried opening the same one in MPEG Streamclip 1.9.2 and got "File open error: unsupported file type." I clicked the "Open Anyway" button, and got "File open error: first part of file not valid."

I tried using tivodecode to decrypt the file, but it only gave me "Bus error."

So I'm at a loss. Exactly how was the "once the TS file was remuxed into MPG format with Streamclip" actually done?

Thanks in advance for any useful tips or help ...
Old 06-02-2010, 01:11 PM   #184
innocentfreak

Is it possible to make it so that only broadcasts show up in the new search on the Premiere? I know you can turn off Netflix and Amazon, but I can't remember if you can also disable the rest so you never see broadband results. Unfortunately I am still waiting for my HDTV so I can't check.

I know on the HD under Swivel Search you can filter Broadband/Broadcast.

Also, are there any features on the Classic UI that aren't on the new HD UI? I can't imagine there are, but you never know if a feature gets removed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by innocentfreak : 06-02-2010 at 03:17 PM.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:17 AM   #185
snakejames

# Is the new HD interface as slow as reviews suggest?

The current 14.1c version of the HD interface is sluggish. The My Shows menu is brutally slow. The company expects to improve HDUI performance with an update in May.

For now, many will prefer to use the "classic" interface. The older "classic" interface remains available and is much more responsive. As with all TiVos, performance is slower than usual for the first 24-48 hours after initial setup, while guide data is indexed in the background.

# Why is the new interface so slow?

The Broadcom BCM7413 chip inside the TiVo Premiere features a dual-core 400MHz processor, meaning it combines two 400MHz processors with some shared resources. In order to realize full performance, the software must be written to take advantage of both processor cores.

The Premiere’s underlying operating system – Linux 2.6.18—is able to support both processor cores, but in testing, TiVo found the current version of its DVR software was not stable with both cores enabled. Rather than further delay release to address the issue with dual-core support, TiVo opted to temporarily disable the second core under the operating system (Linux). This is a software setting, not a hardware setting, so it is something the company can change in a software update. TiVo expects to re-enable the second core later this year after it modifies the software to correctly function with both cores enabled.

snakejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 11:17 AM   #186
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakejames View Post
# Is the new HD interface as slow as reviews suggest?

The current 14.1c version of the HD interface is sluggish. The My Shows menu is brutally slow. The company expects to improve HDUI performance with an update in May.

For now, many will prefer to use the "classic" interface. The older "classic" interface remains available and is much more responsive. As with all TiVos, performance is slower than usual for the first 24-48 hours after initial setup, while guide data is indexed in the background.

# Why is the new interface so slow?

The Broadcom BCM7413 chip inside the TiVo Premiere features a dual-core 400MHz processor, meaning it combines two 400MHz processors with some shared resources. In order to realize full performance, the software must be written to take advantage of both processor cores.

The Premiere’s underlying operating system – Linux 2.6.18—is able to support both processor cores, but in testing, TiVo found the current version of its DVR software was not stable with both cores enabled. Rather than further delay release to address the issue with dual-core support, TiVo opted to temporarily disable the second core under the operating system (Linux). This is a software setting, not a hardware setting, so it is something the company can change in a software update. TiVo expects to re-enable the second core later this year after it modifies the software to correctly function with both cores enabled.
What's with the information regurgitation? Aren't those exact phrases found on the very first page?

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:17 PM   #187
stujac

Thinking of getting a Premier to replace my *C* dvr. I also run a TivoHd with m-card and an extender drive. I'm thinking of taking the m-card from the TivoHd and putting it in the new Premier. I'll then use ota antenna only for the TivoHd. I may add another m-card later, but, can I just pop out the cable card from one unit and plug it into the new one? Will I need a signal sent by the cable co? Any other ramifications?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #188
MichaelK

In a few cases the provider doesn't marry (not sure if that's the correct term) the card to the box to enable encryption/copy protection. But it doesn't seem to be the norm where most of us can just move cards around at will.

Generally you need to find someone who understands such things at the cable company (slim to none)- to read all your numbers to over the phone so they can properly marry the card to the new box in their system. In many cases that requires a truck roll (which you may be expected to pay for) so the clueless tech can then call into some magic phone number and try to do the same.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:02 PM   #189
stujac

Thanks. First I realized I should have posted this question in the dedicated thread for cable card issues with the Premier. I've decided to keep the cc in the TivoHd and start the Premier off with ota and add a 2nd cc later. Thanks.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:50 PM   #190
back2future

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARNJ3 View Post
Thanks so much for the info. The S2 did fix it itself - but the recorded video now freezes sporadically - it seems to be prevalent on almost every other recording. And you can't fast forward through it..... that gets stuck as well.

I don't use VOD or PPV on this television - so it sound like premiere may be the way to go - and I will have HD recording available if I ever get an HD TV for this room.
This type of behavior is usually an indication that the disk drive is failing. It is likely that in short order, the unit won't boot at all. So, I'd plan on getting a new unit soon. Or if you aren't ready to make the jump, get a replacement drive from Weaknees. They are really easy to install if you have basic computer hardware knowledge.
back2future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #191
tivotex

I'm having the same issue with my Series 2 as JarnJ3. I'm also using a SD TV.

So if I get the new Premiere, can I hook it up with a phone line for now like I do my Series 2? Or do I need some kind of adapter? How much is that?

Then I need the cable card too, right? How much does that run you guys who have Time Warner?

This seems like such a pain to switch right now; I wanted to wait until we had moved from our temp living arrangements into a house and were using HD TVs.

Any other issues I should be aware of before buying? Should I get the $399 box if I plan on going all HD within the year?

Any help is appreciated...thanks.
tivotex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 04:00 AM   #192
lindenmeng

There are many producs in the market ,but according to the use frequency,this

product is the best choice, I bet you will have a suprising result,just have a try!

lindenmeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #193
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivotex View Post
I'm having the same issue with my Series 2 as JarnJ3. I'm also using a SD TV.

So if I get the new Premiere, can I hook it up with a phone line for now like I do my Series 2? Or do I need some kind of adapter? How much is that?

Then I need the cable card too, right? How much does that run you guys who have Time Warner?

This seems like such a pain to switch right now; I wanted to wait until we had moved from our temp living arrangements into a house and were using HD TVs.

Any other issues I should be aware of before buying? Should I get the $399 box if I plan on going all HD within the year?

Any help is appreciated...thanks.
If you want to use a telephone line with the Premiere, you need to get the TiVo USB Phone Line Adapter.

TiVo sells it for $29.99

https://www3.tivo.com/store/accessor...king.do#A00903
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 04:13 PM   #194
Mr. Ected

Couple Questions from a Newbie!

I have been a FIOS customer for a long time, but recently moved up to HD, and noticed how quickly the HD shows ate up the room on the FIOS DVR. Verizon has been saying for years that they are close to opening the eSATA port for an external drive, but their lack of action has lead me to look elsewhere.

So I have a couple of questions, forgive my ignorance!

1) Do the Premiere DVRs communicate with other TiVo from other "generations?" Sharing recorded shows, etc?

2) Does FIOS allow for VOD over TiVo?

3) If I have multiple TiVO (2 or 3), do I need to have a subscription for each device?

4) Can the older generation TiVo get media from either your home network or the internet (netflix, etc.) if you have a premiere?

I ask about the older generation TiVo, because I hope to be cheap and maybe get those (eBay, Craigslist) for my non-HD TV, but I would like to be able to share the recorded shows.

Thanks in advance!!
Mr. Ected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:17 PM   #195
news4me2

I recently switched 1 FIOS HD DVR and 1 SD Box over to 2 TIVO Premieres. During installation of the FIOS Cablecards, the FIOS Tech had the TIVO and the FIOS HD DVR hooked up to the TV, so we could toggle between them using the TV INPUT button... It turned out that the TIVO HD Picture is slightly better than the FIOS HD DVR- (The FIOS TECH admitted it!).

Here are answers to your questions-

1) Do the Premiere DVRs communicate with other TiVo from other "generations?" Sharing recorded shows, etc?

Answer- YES - Multi-Room Viewing (MRV) is supported between devices. Read this: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/161

Answer- NO - VOD is no longer available from FIOS when you use a TIVO. However, newer TIVO's offer an impressive selection of VOD Alternatives, including:
- Blockbuster OnDemand - Pricing for Brand New Movies is 25% cheaper than FIOS (and most other VOD sources);
- Amazon offers a great assortment of Movies with varied pricing tiers;
- Netflix streams older movies for no additional cost if you are a current Netflix Subscriber.

For more TIVO DVR comparisons, read here- http://www.tivo.com/products/tivo-pr...e-compare.html

3) If I have multiple TiVO (2 or 3), do I need to have a subscription for each device?

Answer- Yes, you will need a separate subscription for each TIVO DVR. There is a small discount when you have multiple subscriptions:

First Tivo DVR Service Plan= $12.95 per month or $129 Annually
Second TIVO Service Plan = $9.95 per month or $99 Annually

Don't forget that you will also have a monthly charge from FIOS for the CableCard that goes into each TIVO.

4) Can the older generation TiVo get media from either your home network or the internet (netflix, etc.) if you have a premiere?

Answer- Check out this link to see the comparison between boxes:
http://www.tivo.com/mytivo/product-features/index.html

Additional Points:

The High Definition TIVO DVR's will work with a Standard Definition TV's as long as you have the right connections on the TV. (I have a TIVO Premiere connected to an old SD TV using Component Cables and it works very well!).
Before deciding which TIVO to buy- check your available TV INPUT connections and compare that to the desired TIVO's OUTPUT connections, .

I feel that I got a great deal by buying 2 TIVO Premiere's on eBay. However, the sale shown on the TIVO.COM home page (today) is very competitive to what I was able to save with my eBay purchases. If I was buying today, I would probably opt toward the TIVO.com sale instead.

Good Luck!
news4me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:13 AM   #196
aaronwt
HD Addict

That looks like a very good deal for the regular Premiere. For the Premiere XL, it's still the same thing. So it ends up being like the upgrade deal, only with that you got $100 off the XL and $60 off the Premiere.
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:16 PM   #197
PedjaR

If, while I am watching a previously recorded show, I pause it and go into some menus (for example, to turn Closed Captioning on/off), is there any way to dismiss all menus and go back to watching the show (other than going to Now Playing/My Shows and finding the show again)?
PedjaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #198
JayJayTen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedjaR View Post
If, while I am watching a previously recorded show, I pause it and go into some menus (for example, to turn Closed Captioning on/off), is there any way to dismiss all menus and go back to watching the show (other than going to Now Playing/My Shows and finding the show again)?
If I am understanding you correct all you have to do to turn captions on and off in to select "INFO" button on remote while video is playing. Move up and down the right hand menu and move down to the "CC" icon and push "SELECT". That will toggle "CC" on and off.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:15 AM   #199
PedjaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJayTen View Post
If I am understanding you correct all you have to do to turn captions on and off in to select "INFO" button on remote while video is playing. Move up and down the right hand menu and move down to the "CC" icon and push "SELECT". That will toggle "CC" on and off.
Nice, thanks. I did not notice that menu, I was going into the Settings/Display/... menus.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:57 PM   #200
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Nice, thanks. I did not notice that menu, I was going into the Settings/Display/... menus.
An even easier method is to simply hit "right arrow" on the thumb wheel and that will bring up the INFO screen as well.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #201
SID6767
Noobie

premiere

I am considering buying one are they worth the hype?
SID6767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 03:03 PM   #202
Intense

Considering purchasing new Premiere...

So I've had S2 for years now and have been contemplating purchasing the new premiere version.

I have an upgrade offer where I can purchase the premier version plus the lifetime service for $500. I searched online as well as ebay to see if I can get a better price but it seems like it comes up to the same price.

Wanted to get a few thoughts from the community about it.

Thanks
Intense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:52 PM   #203
PedjaR

Negative padding

Is there a way to clip shows for more than the 5 minutes of overlap protection? For example, say I want to record House and Chuck from 8-9 and start recording Monday Night Football at 9 (it starts at 8:30), unless one of the other shows is a repeat, in which case I'd like MNF complete. It would be nice to be able to just set a series pass that would be clipped 30 minutes if needed.
The best I could come up is to both create a series pass for MNF, lower priority than the other two shows (to catch the first 30 minutes in case one of the other shows is a re-run), and, in addition to that, create a repeated manual recording from 9-12 with still lower priority, to record football when the other shows are new. This involves turning the manual recording on/off based on the season and will also probably record two copies of MNF if tuners are available, so I'm not too happy with it. Does anybody have a more elegant solution?

On a separate note: is this the right place to ask questions like this? Seemed like an overkill to create a thread for one little question.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:09 AM   #204
energizerfellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieb187 View Post
Thanks.
I know how to stop the little liveTV preview window.
What I want to know is how to stop Full Screen playback of a recorded program. Other than hitting the LiveTV button.
With my Tivo HD I hit the left arrow and playback stops.
Hit left arrow with the Premiere and playback continues in upper right small live preview window.
To expand on this a bit more, how do you return to a recorded show after pulling up a menu? Sure you could dig through the recordings list and find it, but you would think there's be a single button to return to the show that's going on in the upper right...
energizerfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:38 PM   #205
PedjaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by energizerfellow View Post
To expand on this a bit more, how do you return to a recorded show after pulling up a menu? Sure you could dig through the recordings list and find it, but you would think there's be a single button to return to the show that's going on in the upper right...
Did you try Zoom button?
Old 09-06-2010, 10:49 PM   #206
jrod9707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intense View Post
So I've had S2 for years now and have been contemplating purchasing the new premiere version.

I have an upgrade offer where I can purchase the premier version plus the lifetime service for $500. I searched online as well as ebay to see if I can get a better price but it seems like it comes up to the same price.

Wanted to get a few thoughts from the community about it.

Thanks
I just bought a 24" Dynex TV(TV for the kids bedroom-4 yr warranty $29-hopefuly she'll break it in 3) and the TIVO Premiere for $299 at Best Buy. TV 199 and TIVO 99. Since i have a TIVO the lifetime is 299. Not bad to get a lifetime tivo for 399 total. If you know someone that is buying a TV get them to do it this week and you can get a Tivo for $99. Just giving a few suggestions for you.
I have to say I am very impressed with this over my S3. Fast in HD GUI mode, when your in the main tivo browser the tv program shrinks. Im going to keep it.

Good luck.
jrod9707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 11:27 PM   #207
robin50

Thanks for the info jrod!
robin50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:56 PM   #208
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrod9707 View Post
If you know someone that is buying a TV get them to do it this week and you can get a Tivo for $99.
TiVo and Best Buy had a similar promotion last year on Black Friday. So if you miss your chance this week, you might get another chance in November.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:47 AM   #209
tlwizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by news4me2 View Post

Answer- NO - VOD is no longer available from FIOS when you use a TIVO. However, newer TIVO's offer an impressive selection of VOD Alternatives, including:
Did Fios ever allow VOD on Tivo?
tlwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #210
trip1eX

Quote:
Did you try Zoom button?
Thanks for the info!
trip1eX is offline   Reply With Quote