Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #151
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
4) Still no native support for streaming additional video formats without re-encoding (like h264+AC3+avi)
Even though it isn't possible with the current software, I think you might see this in future updates. At least the new hardware is CAPABLE of decoding a lot more formats than TivoHD/S3 (mpeg2, h.264, vc-1 only on HD/S3).

Currently, TivoHDs have issues with playback of h.264 material at framerates less than 25fps. Supposedly, this is fixed with Premiere (I don't have one).
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #152
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
Even though it isn't possible with the current software, I think you might see this in future updates. At least the new hardware is CAPABLE of decoding a lot more formats than TivoHD/S3 (mpeg2, h.264, vc-1 only on HD/S3).
But TiVo is missing key features, like mounting external filesystems. If I have a bunch of ripped DVDs on my home server, it would be great if TiVo could mount the filesystem via NFS or Samba and play them. The same goes for audio: stream from an iTunes server or just mount the filesystem and play the files.

TiVo is oddly resistant to turning its box into a real media hub.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #153
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivogurl View Post
But TiVo is missing key features, like mounting external filesystems. If I have a bunch of ripped DVDs on my home server, it would be great if TiVo could mount the filesystem via NFS or Samba and play them. The same goes for audio: stream from an iTunes server or just mount the filesystem and play the files.
Yes, but this functionality can be provided by 3rd party programs running on a home computer.

Quote:
TiVo is oddly resistant to turning its box into a real media hub.
At this point in time I'll say: GOOD!

The Premiere is still very sadly lacking in basic functionality. Many menus are in SD, the box freezes and reboots, etc. TiVo needs to get the box to at least "beta quality" functionality first. At this point it's barely "alpha quality". But that's IMO from what I read in these forums. I'm not about to buy such a buggy product, so I haven't personally experienced those behaviors.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:28 AM   #154
tivogurl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
Yes, but this functionality can be provided by 3rd party programs running on a home computer.
But then I'm just duplicating hardware already in the TiVo itself, and the basic filesystem technology already exists in Linux. TiVo is losing customers to Windows Media boxes for that reason: if you're already building a box to play movies and music, the marginal effort to record and play television is minimal. You don't think convergence devices are desirable? I think they're desirable for the same reason not having 20 remotes is desirable.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #155
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
You don't think convergence devices are desirable?
I agree with your comments in general. TiVo has squandered one of the greatest opportunities of the last decade. Their initial product was revolutionary, now they're struggling to even stay relevant.
Old 04-12-2010, 05:34 PM   #156
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
But then I'm just duplicating hardware already in the TiVo itself, and the basic filesystem technology already exists in Linux. TiVo is losing customers to Windows Media boxes for that reason: if you're already building a box to play movies and music, the marginal effort to record and play television is minimal. You don't think convergence devices are desirable? I think they're desirable for the same reason not having 20 remotes is desirable.
No box is good at everything and I doubt ever will be. So I expect to have at least two to three boxes to accomplish all the tasks I need. So far nothing has been better at recording TV than TV. And I am not going to use a PC to get sub par performace when compared to TiVo. And other features that a HTPC can do I use a media player for.

But again no device is good enough at everything, especially a PC for me to start usingit for everything. If the PC capabilites today would have been available in 2001 it might be a different story for me. But TiVo is the one to beat and so far no one has accomplished that.

Competitors are getting close, but TiVo is still King of the Hill
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:00 PM   #157
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
No box is good at everything and I doubt ever will be. ....
i think "one day"....

just a few years ago cell phones, pagers, pda's, email only blackberries and crappy digital cameras where all different devices. Now one smartphone can do all that plus be an mp3 player and video recorder and player. HTC is working on phones with 720p HDMI output, and says next year they'll get to "full HD" 1080p playback and recording. There's been some great strides there to put all that in one device that fits in my pocket.

At some point the brute force of newer chips makes convergence possible.

I've had pretty much every generation of tivo hardware there was (s1, s1 directive, s2, s2 directivo, s2.5 directivo, hdirectivo, and S3 (no TivoHD)) and I plan to get a premiere or two in the coming months.

BUT- i am a little perplexed why moore's law doesn't seem to be taking much hold for the TIVO part of the tivo boxes. The UI and basic dvr functionality doesn't seem 50/100 times more powerful than that on my 14hr series 1 in the new premiere. Granted there's plenty of new stuff- HD, streaming, internet, etc. But doesn't seem the actually DVR part is taking advantage of the the new chips- what have they added that's not in the S1- groups? Hard padding and clipping? advanced wishlists? Doesn't seem there's 100 times better function there.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:26 PM   #158
eddieb187

This may be a stupid question but...
With my Tivo HD DVR, when playing back a recording I hit the left arrow and the recording would stop and I went to TiVo menus.
With the Premiere XL, it take me to TiVo central but the recording is still playing in the PIP window??
The only way I can figure to stop playback of a recording is to press LiveTV.
Is there another way to stop playback?
eddieb187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:52 PM   #159
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieb187 View Post
With the Premiere XL, it take me to TiVo central but the recording is still playing in the PIP window??

The only way I can figure to stop playback of a recording is to press LiveTV.
Is there another way to stop playback?
You have three options.
  1. Press pause to pause playback in the video window.

2. Press SLO MO to disable the video window (which also stops playback).

3. Disable the video window under Settings -> Displays -> Video Window. Even when disabled, you can still enable the video window temporarily by pressing SLO MO.

bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 01:18 AM   #160
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelK View Post
BUT- i am a little perplexed why moore's law doesn't seem to be taking much hold for the TIVO part of the tivo boxes. The UI and basic dvr functionality doesn't seem 50/100 times more powerful than that on my 14hr series 1 in the new premiere. Granted there's plenty of new stuff- HD, streaming, internet, etc. But doesn't seem the actually DVR part is taking advantage of the the new chips- what have they added that's not in the S1- groups? Hard padding and clipping? advanced wishlists? Doesn't seem there's 100 times better function there.
Moore's law applies to hardware, not software.

That's why the Premiere has a 320 GB hard drive instead of 30? GB in the original. It has two tuners instead of one. Etc.

OTOH, the software is buggier than on the initial release of the S1. Which only serves to demonstrate the point.
Old 04-18-2010, 02:14 AM   #161
eddieb187

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
You have three options.
  1. Press pause to pause playback in the video window.

2. Press SLO MO to disable the video window (which also stops playback).

3. Disable the video window under Settings -> Displays -> Video Window. Even when disabled, you can still enable the video window temporarily by pressing SLO MO.
Thanks.
I know how to stop the little liveTV preview window.
What I want to know is how to stop Full Screen playback of a recorded program. Other than hitting the LiveTV button.
With my Tivo HD I hit the left arrow and playback stops.
Hit left arrow with the Premiere and playback continues in upper right small live preview window.
eddieb187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 02:38 AM   #162
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
Moore's law applies to hardware, not software.

That's why the Premiere has a 320 GB hard drive instead of 30? GB in the original. It has two tuners instead of one. Etc.

OTOH, the software is buggier than on the initial release of the S1. Which only serves to demonstrate the point.
If you compare it a series one yes which was 10 years ago not 2. If you compare it to a Series 3/TiVo HD then no.

Some people also attribute the cable card portion of the cost which I have read adds anywhere from $50-$100 per device. This doesn't leave much room for other expansion, but I believe this was one of the things covered by the TiVo comments to the FCC.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:13 PM   #163
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Some people also attribute the cable card portion of the cost which I have read adds anywhere from $50-$100 per device. This doesn't leave much room for other expansion, but I believe this was one of the things covered by the TiVo comments to the FCC.
I find it REALLY hard to believe that cablecard would add that much to the mass-produced hardware. $10 I would believe... maybe even $20; half of which is probably stupid licensing crap.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:19 PM   #164
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I find it REALLY hard to believe that cablecard would add that much to the mass-produced hardware. $10 I would believe... maybe even $20; half of which is probably stupid licensing crap.
http://hd.engadget.com/2010/04/17/wh...-cost-so-much/

Quote:
We've been talking about CableCARD long before Engadget HD ever existed -- some might remember HD Beat -- and one thing that hasn't changed in the last five years is that 3rd party host devices still can't access VOD and the cheapest ones aren't cheap at all. TiVo, Moxi and ATI aren't the only ones who find it hard to make the economics of a $300+ device work either, as cable operators around the country have been petitioning the FCC for waivers, arguing that CableCARD set-tops cost to much to deploy. The estimates to add a CableCARD slot to a device vary from between $50 and $100, but either way the prices haven't come down much (if any). Well more recently TiVo has stated the obvious and has requested that the FCC conduct a probe to reveal the reasons. Ultimately the cost is just yet another reason why CableCARD is a failure, but since it's all we've got for now, we might as well try to figure out ways to make it cheaper.
Look at any cable card device and you will see it fits.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:53 PM   #165
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
http://hd.engadget.com/2010/04/17/wh...-cost-so-much/

Look at any cable card device and you will see it fits.
It doesn't make it true just because someone writes it.
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 AM   #166
innocentfreak

True but there must be some basis in truth for TiVo to request the FCC to look into it. Plus there is also the fact you cant find a cable card device less than $250. If it was cheap I think you would see them in more devices like back in TVs.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 AM   #167
innocentfreak

True but there must be some basis in truth for TiVo to request the FCC to look into it. Plus there is also the fact you cant find a cable card device less than $250. If it was cheap I think you would see them in more devices like back in TVs.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 AM   #168
innocentfreak

Old 04-22-2010, 08:11 AM   #169
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:

They used to be in TVs years ago. My 2005 1080P DLP set had a cable card slot. As did several other TVs that year. But since most people didn't use it, they eventually dropped them to save money. I know i never used my cable card slot in my TV. Why would I want to watch TV in realtime?
Old 04-22-2010, 08:17 AM   #170
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
They used to be in TVs years ago. My 2005 1080P DLP set had a cable card slot. As did several other TVs that year. But since most people didn't use it, they eventually dropped them to save money. I know i never used my cable card slot in my TV. Why would I want to watch TV in realtime?
Well if the tech was cheap enough, I could see them just leaving it in but not at $50-$100. As far as why have it, I could see it being useful for someone who only watches TV in a room occasionally and doesn't want to pay for a TiVo, STB, or any other device just to sit there when it won't get used. I have a couple rooms we used to have Directv in since it was only $5 a month for another receiver. Now though we have nothing in there since we don't want to pay the $10+ for a STB or the cost for TiVo since it only gets used maybe once a week or so.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #171
Monty2_2001

One small thing I'm glad they did is remove the number count on deleted items. I used to be real OCD about that on my S3 and delete them all from there. Yay, no more time wasting!
Monty2_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #172
aaronwt
HD Addict

I wish they still had the number count on deleted items.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #173
GmanTiVo
give me more options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty2_2001 View Post
One small thing I'm glad they did is remove the number count on deleted items. I used to be real OCD about that on my S3 and delete them all from there. Yay, no more time wasting!
??? that was the only effective way to gauge how much space was left...
Old 04-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #174
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by GmanTiVo View Post
??? that was the only effective way to gauge how much space was left...
The amount of suggestions you have are usually the best indicator of how much space you have, not how many items are in the deleted folder. At least that's how I've always done it.

Besides, don't these new ones have a "free space indicator" now?
Old 04-26-2010, 08:23 AM   #175
HazelW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
The amount of suggestions you have are usually the best indicator of how much space you have, not how many items are in the deleted folder. At least that's how I've always done it.

Besides, don't these new ones have a "free space indicator" now?
If you turn suggestions off, then deleted items count gives you an indication of how much space you have left. If suggestions are on, the suggestions count can be used.
HazelW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:53 PM   #176
RealityCheck

Does anyone know the cost of a Broadcom BCM7413 SoC? It seems to me, an IBM CELL at ~$38 would be a better choice. The I/O Bridge also sells for ~$5.59. CELL is capable of decoding 40+ Full ATSC spec HD MPEG-2 streams, and could easily outpace the integrated "2D/3D" hardware found in the Broadcom SoC. There's enough raw power in CELL to easily emulate missing chip components (i.e. DOCSIS Modem). With CELL, I think it's easy to conceive we'd never see another "Please Wait" screen again. If TiVo was willing to take CELL with maybe 5 working SPEs (vs. 7 for Sony and 8 in total), they may realize further discounts.

CELL conforms to the Power Architecture ISA, and TiVo used embedded PowerPC chips in older TiVo S1 designs. Granted, any gains brought by CELL are predicated on TiVo having competent software development. It does seem the company lacks this. If rumors are true and they outsourced their software development to India; then I can see why their software is so poor.

Indians are VERY capable of handling programming tasks, but throwing away a team with years of knowledge about your code is suicidal. Such moves can slow the development cycle exponentially.
RealityCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #177
JARNJ3

I have Series II TiVo that just green screened tonight - saying a serious problem has been detected & is trying to be fixed - I have to wait 3 hours to see if can be fixed.

This is on a TV that is not HD and is using a Verizon FiOs box. I have to use the IR cables to change the channels. While slow and not ideal - it does the job. I also have lifetime membership on the TiVo device.

In case this can't be fixed, is the new Premiere the way to go - even though I don't have HD? I believe I've owned this TiVo since 2004 - so it has served me well........

But I have to say I am intrigued by the new features and discounts for existing users. And maybe I'll upgrade to HD next year - its just that the TV still works fine - so I hate to throw away things that work.
JARNJ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #178
randyb359

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARNJ3 View Post
But I have to say I am intrigued by the new features and discounts for existing users. And maybe I'll upgrade to HD next year - its just that the TV still works fine - so I hate to throw away things that work.
I feel the same way. However I had a friend that was in need of a TV and I gave the old one to him and used it as an excuse to buy a 42" HD TV. I am so glad I did. I bought an HD TV for my parents for Christmas. They were like me and never really understood the whole HD thing. A couple days after they got it they called Verizon and upgraded from the basic package to extream HD. I highly recommend you find someone to give your old TV to and upgrade to a big HD tv.
randyb359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:20 PM   #179
TVCricket
HDUI

I have a quick question about Tivo's return policy. I've read on here how some people are having trouble getting OTA-HD channels to come in even though they come in just fine with an external/internal tuner. If I purchase from Tivo.com with a lifetime subscription, will I be able to return the Tivo AND get my money back on the lifetime if channels can't lock in?
Old 04-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #180
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARNJ3 View Post
I have Series II TiVo that just green screened tonight - saying a serious problem has been detected & is trying to be fixed - I have to wait 3 hours to see if can be fixed.

This is on a TV that is not HD and is using a Verizon FiOs box. I have to use the IR cables to change the channels. While slow and not ideal - it does the job. I also have lifetime membership on the TiVo device.

In case this can't be fixed, is the new Premiere the way to go - even though I don't have HD? I believe I've owned this TiVo since 2004 - so it has served me well........

I believe you will need to use the SD menus (the one's that you are used to)- but even forgoing HD menues and content- you will get dual tuners, can kiss the ir blasters controlling the fios box goodbye, will have other online content available that you can't get on the S2's, and will directly record the bits that fios sends down the line rather than the fios box converting the digital bits to analog and then the S2 taking the analog and converting it to digital on it's drive again.

So even for SD the premiere has much value other an S2.

You WILL likely give up VOD and PPV for the extra items.

that said- your S2 probably fixed itself already.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote